The Suggestion Site
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Professions

+2
Dark Avorian
The Empty Lord
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Professions - Page 2 Empty Professions

Post by The Empty Lord Sat May 30, 2009 7:20 am

First topic message reminder :

An example of Profession Points in action, it might make the idea a little less confusing;
You require a minimum of level 20 to gain a PP and there are three types; Warrior, Archer and Magician. I'm going to use Melee as an example.

At level 20 and 21 Attack I receive my first and second Warrior-PP. Should my Strength level overtake and reach 22 first, I will receive my third Warrior-PP from Strength. It's whichever gets there first. Even if I raise my Attack to 22 I've already got the Warrior-PP from Strength. I now have 50 Warrior-PP and have been purchasing my way down the Guard Profession, with one or two of the earlier upgrades in the other professions (but I don't plan to go much further). I get bored of being a Guard, and pay to have all by Warrior-PP returned to the bin and I decided to spend them (instead) on the Berserker Profession. You can only do this once a day (or just less, similar to staffs).

I am not limited to my profession, but changing it is costly. Not training a profession doesn't affect my ability from the before the upgrade, it only adds a more interesting way to customise my character than, say, wearing a different set of armour. The closest thing I can think of is the Family Crest Gauntlets - you get one for free, and have to pay 30k to upgrade! Back in my day it was only 20k, they've raised the price (unless this is built in, the more times you change, the more it costs each time [which is actually a good idea, lol]. Prayer Books are similar, although you get one for free and have to pay a bundle to unlock the ability to buy the others - so it's not quite the same. Tongue
"Professions" use a talent/skill tree like system used by many MMOs. Each class has three Professions that you can master, or you can get half-way to mastering all three - although it's better to choose one. Unlike some games where an upgrade is active from the moment you've purchases it, in RuneScape a player may only have an amount of unlocks active at once. The first game that came to mind was Bioshock. If I recall, in Bioshock you can only have 5 of your power-ups active at once but they stack with other active power-ups (so you could have 2x "2x Damage Multipliers" active at once). For Professions there would be a second body-panel like interface where you can select/change any active unlocks (this interface can be accessed from banks/specific locations). The Profession Trees and purchasing upgrades is handled by the Tutors in Lumbridge.

Profession Trees only control what unlocks you can purchase at any particular level - also, the amount of points required for the high-end unlocks in one profession means you cannot unlock the high-end unlocks in another. So you cannot have the ability to wield two-handed weapons with one hand (a possible Berserker Upgrade) with 0.5x Damage Multiplier (a possible Guard upgrade). Some upgrades won't be that useful, but are required to get higher up in the Profession ladder. Some unlocks would grey-out other unlock-zones (like a two-handed weapon and the shield zone). Tongue

This is all in aid of adding variety, so two players with the same get-up and levels aren't necessarily going behave the same.

• Archer Professions - Arbalest, Hunter and Marksman.
• Magician Professions - Archmage, Elemental/Arcanist and Warlock.
• Warrior Professions - Berserker, Guard and Swordsman.

Arbalests work with Crossbows. This chain focuses more on the Crossbow as a weapon - as well as the general Ranged class. Hunters have no specific weapon. This chain focuses more on the accuracy of Ranged - it also has effects which reduces the players "aggro". Marksman work primarily with bows. This chain focuses mainly on bows - increasing their accuracy, power - as well as general aspects of Ranged.

Archmages focus more on power, sacrificing upgrades in speed and accuracy. This chain, therefore, focuses on the general effectiveness of spells. Elementals wield the elements better than other Magicians - power, speed and accuracy. This chain focuses on the basic Wind, Water, Earth and Fire elements. Warlocks are based on the "tank" tactic - upgrades which increase the players "aggro", and higher defence upgrades than an Archmage or Elemental. However, unlike the melee tank, the offensive upgrades of a Warlock are generalised - fairly utilising all aspects (accuracy, speed, damage, etc - not all in the same upgrade, mind).

Unique to Magic, whilst utilising the Ancient Spellbook, the Elemental Profession is replaced with the Arcanist Profession. They are connected - so upgrading one will upgrade the other. Most upgrades are similar, but some aren't.

Berserkers focus on strength and blunt weapons. A higher-levelled upgrade (beyond the point of mixing professions) could be one-handed wielding of two-handed weapons. Guards are heavily based on the "tank" tactic - artificially high "aggro", increased strength and defence, but quite often have accuracy penalties. Swordsmen are skilled with blades and polearms. This chain focuses on general speed and accuracy, but includes (more than other chains) "attack techniques" - such as stunning and, a higher-levelled upgrade, injuring (where the foe would lose weapon-wielding abilities).

————————————

Profession Points, or PP, are gained as you level. Archer, Magician and Warrior PP are independant of each other – as Jublex is promoting "unlocked" classes, despite adopting a "single class" system.

Using Warriors as an example, though it would be the same for Magicians and Archers – you gain your first Warrior-PP at level 20 Attack or Strength (whichever reaches level 20 first). You will gain an additional point with each level (again, whichever reaches the level first) – meaning a total of 79 Warrior-PP.

An upgrade can cost anywhere between 1 and 5 (this isn't determined by how far in the chain it is). You can spend PP on an upgrade even if you don't have enough PP, but it will not be unlocked until you have deposited the full amount of PP (so 3/5 PP, for example). Upgrades use a branch system. After unlocking an upgrade, you may choose to unlearn for free within the first 24 hours – in the first month of release, this time could be made infinite. Tutors can recall all PP (in their class) for a hefty fee (depending on how much they need to unteach you) - this allows you to completely redo your choices. However, aside from the first 24 hours, there is no way to unlearn specific upgrades (excluding the get-used-to-it period).

To complete a Profession you require *exactly* 60 PP - this means you have 19 PP spare to spend in the other two professions. However, you could share the 79 PP out evenly, should you wish, but this limits you to low levelled upgrades.

Remember, each class has independent profession points – so that's 79 Archer-PP, 79 Magician-PP and 79 Warrior-PP in total!

Last edited by 3mptylord on Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:07 am; edited 10 times in total
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 7344

http://3mptylord.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Professions - Page 2 Empty Re: Professions

Post by Dark Avorian Sat May 30, 2009 9:16 pm

What I object to is the fact that by upgrading one profession in a given class you are forever limiting the other two professions in that class. One thing I like about Runescape is that you can train all and any of the skills to 99 or any lvl. Here you can only max out one proffession per class, and at first 3mpty implied that any choices were permanent, that's what i don't like.

Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Number of posts : 3550

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruy112 Sat May 30, 2009 10:25 pm

Hmmm, melee is the only skill that has the ability to choose defence, tank. Why can't mage and range have a tank like option?
Ruy112
Ruy112
Partisan
Partisan

Number of posts : 1623

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Sun May 31, 2009 1:10 am

@Dark, the Guantlets is a good comparison of aligning yourself which a hefty price tag on changing your mind. The Prayer Books as well, you get one for free, and have to buy the other covers - don't you? Either way, you have to pay for all the pages of the first one to buy another one, should you have made the wrong choice. As I did... I selected Zamorak not knowing it's a semi-permanent choice. Tongue

I've updated the Warlock to add an element of tank, but I couldn't fit it into Ranged... unless someone wants to give it ago. Ranged has the only "damage dealer" specific profession, with effects the reduce aggro. Note that just because the profession isn't designed for a particular tactic, doesn't mean it won't have effects. All professions will have defence related upgrades - some more than others. And most would have at least one "aggro" related upgrade.
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:24 pm

Maybe lots of examples will show the way this is meant to be done
rather than what the author have written. My searching Google, I
found these:

Well, that should be enough to show you how points would be going into the professions.
Anonymous
Phillip

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:03 pm

I don't think guests have the right to upload pictures. Sad

Though I hate using WoW as an example, and this is possibly what Philip was trying to attach, this is how Professions could work. In WoW there is a reset button and I think they may use this once a day. This is a possible method of resetting, although requiring to visit a specific person rather than it being on your persons might be more RuneScape - as with things such as changing your Spellbook. Whether resetting costs is something else that needs to be discussed.

Professions - Page 2 Picture3gk5
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TATORZ Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:02 am

Ummm... I'm clueless.
TATORZ
TATORZ
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Number of posts : 2458

Back to top Go down

Post by invinible Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:51 am

Would it help if you could use a skill/talent tree calculator to
try out the kind of propose limitations asked for in this thread?
Well here are several:

darkmessiahmightandmagic.us.ubi.com/skilltree/
web.hc.keio.ac.jp/~fk061999/himeyasha/skill3/
http://diablo3.ingame.de/spiel/skills/calc/index.php?char=assa〈=en
http://www.d2items.com/skills.php
www.mycurrentgame.com/TooHumanSkillCalculator/Too-Human-Skill-Calculator.aspx
http://dragonica.db.mmosite.com/tools/index.php
www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classes/talent-index/
http://www.conankave.com/kave_calc/necromancer/kave_calc.php

Hope that is enough for you.
invinible
invinible
Proselyte

Number of posts : 149

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:28 pm

Lol... basically, each class has three Professions to choose from (similar to talents in WoW, as I've pictured). You work your way down (or up, depending on the game) a tree of different unlocks. Some unlocks cost more than others, some require specific previous unlock to purchase. In the image I posted, orange ones are the ones you've purchased, green are the ones you have yet to fully-purchased.

Thanks Invinible, that's actually helpful! Grin
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Kandarin Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:54 am

Interesting concept, could work.

Edit: Oh! This is related to that class thread?
Sir Kandarin
Sir Kandarin
Proselyte

Number of posts : 192

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:09 am

Yeah... this is the same professions. Tongue
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:14 am

Rofl
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Number of posts : 3550
Location : Within the hallowed halls of the mighty, those known only as nobles.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:20 am

Me and Dark should have really specified this... for those who weren't in the knowledge. Tongue
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TATORZ Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:13 pm

lol
TATORZ
TATORZ