The Suggestion Site
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RuneScape's HOT new look!

+7
Prince Patar
Dragon78114
invinible
Dark Avorian
TATORZ
Ruy112
The Empty Lord
11 posters

Page 1 of 19 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next

Go down

The new-look map looks good! (be honest, even if you just thinking the roads are too wide)

RuneScape's HOT new look! I_vote_lcap43%RuneScape's HOT new look! I_vote_rcap 43% 
[ 6 ]
RuneScape's HOT new look! I_vote_lcap36%RuneScape's HOT new look! I_vote_rcap 36% 
[ 5 ]
RuneScape's HOT new look! I_vote_lcap21%RuneScape's HOT new look! I_vote_rcap 21% 
[ 3 ]
RuneScape's HOT new look! I_vote_lcap0%RuneScape's HOT new look! I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
RuneScape's HOT new look! I_vote_lcap0%RuneScape's HOT new look! I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 14

Poll closed

RuneScape's HOT new look! Empty Making RuneScape bigger!

Post by The Empty Lord Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:26 am

All three of these are large/wide images. Even with my high-res, I can only see the width of Baronlands on the World Map (but the other two only just cut off). So... I'd recommend clicking on them to open them in another tab/window to view them more easily. A lot of work has gone into them and I'm satisfied I have done enough. I don't want to plan the whole game, or, at least not for a version I plan on sending to Jagex - so I'm happy with them. Except for the misspelling of "Al Karid". Rage

...although, I've decided to claim it's a tribute to DeviousMud rather than a mistake. Tongue

Lumbridge, detailed, parchment-style;
Spoiler:
Misthalin, detailed, (crude) terrain-style;
Spoiler:
World Map, simplistic, parchment-style;
Spoiler:

Names of new locations are completely random, aside from those with an author (such as "by Psychoboy8" on Agerdomus). So... if you want to bagsy one, go for it. The map uses hexakis gridding and a six-point compass to match. For those who cannot tell, this relates to the stone of Jas' hexakis gridding and I've made up the lore that the magic-matrix was woven into the planet when Guthix did his stuff (whether first time around or not, if you believe in the etch-a-sketch theory).

The sun rises in the Eotres, and sets to the Vesp. "Eotres" means "dawn", and "Vesp" is short for vesper, meaning "evening". North meaning "to the left of the rising sun", and South meaning "the region of the sun". Prior to astrological advancements and further understanding of the magical-matirx within our planet, it was recognised that Gielinor only had four points. A North and South, for magnetic purposes, with Vesp and Eotres making up the the perpendicular axis. However, it was noted that the moon does not orbit perpendicular to the planet and research was carried out. It was decided that the planet must have six cardinal directions as the moon follows an orbit at 60° to North, and sets at 240° to the South. Eotres was moved so that it still, although now more accurately, pointed to the point of the rising sun, and Vesp moved North to match. Lune was the name given for the point of moonrise, and Hath being mistranslated as the point of moonset. "The moon hath set too South" was the correct translation, however, multiple forms of verbs had been dropped from the English language some time in the past (such as thou, hath) and the word Hath wasn't translated, believing it to be a word to mean the moon; "The moon, Hath, set too South." Whilst the mistranslation was identified, the first "official" six-point compass had already been commissioned - thus, the name Hath was adopted.

Some older equipment still uses an "imperial", four-point compass. Fortunately, modern compasses are typically shown with 12 points (the additional points marking North-Vesp, North-Lune, and so on), meaning there still exists a four-point star within the image. Our trusty sextant uses four-cardinal points, North, Eotres, South and Vesp, thus few changes are required (in terms of game-programming*).

*creating a hexakis mapping system might be difficult, although, I don't fully understand how the sextant works anyway... so it might be easy.

Last edited by 3mptylord on Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:14 am; edited 14 times in total
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 7344

http://3mptylord.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

RuneScape's HOT new look! Empty Re: RuneScape's HOT new look!

Post by Ruy112 Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:27 am

Explain?
Ruy112
Ruy112
Partisan
Partisan

Number of posts : 1623

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:36 am

Explain which bit? WoW'ifying the map? Well, I'll take somewhere like Varrock and stretch it... but I'll keep all the buildings and stuff the same size, meaning I have to fit more in. Except... not that easily. If you go to a real city of that time, say, Nottingham, it's made up of loads of towns. I mean, there's modern Nottingham, and there are other places too. RuneScape wouldn't be as large, obviously, but say... different locations within Varrock.

RuneScape's HOT new look! Nottingham_map1
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruy112 Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:39 am

I thought something like desert and forests getting stretched, right now it doesn't feel wilderness anywhere, they are too small...
Ruy112
Ruy112
Partisan
Partisan

Number of posts : 1623

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:48 am

That too would get increased. Have you seen WoW's map? Imagine entire sections of the map being wilderness. Smile

I'm considering making a bestiary for the area. I want to create some primitive races that might have non-melee users. Like Fable has Hobbs, some us guns, some use weapons and some use Magic. Goblins could have tribes of Magical users, they are naturally adapt in Magic, but apparently only the priests may use it... why can't we find these priests among with other goblins in little encampments? If there are no priests there are none enforcing Bandos' lore... thus, wild goblins might find themselves using Magic unaware is blasphemy for a muggle to cast magic. Sorry to use "muggle", but most people understand its use and I can't think of another word. Tongue
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:00 am

RuneScape's HOT new look! Fpath-kalimdorHere is a map of half of the original WoW area. The lines connect thecapital areas (flight transport, etc) - and you can see the separates continents. Imagine Varrock being one, and then a whole load of wilderness, then Lumbridge... and each in itself is huge. You could spend a lot of time training in just Varrock, let alone entering the wilderness. In fact, the areas between each county could actually be wilderness (as in, PVP)... or at least, in Bounty Worlds. Tongue

Told you about what? Your maturing idea? I thought my expressions on the complications with the idea was obvious that I thought it needed work? Confuse

Last edited by 3mptylord on Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:45 am; edited 1 time in total
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TATORZ Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:13 am

Interesting idea... especially now that all that run-work has been done
TATORZ
TATORZ
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Number of posts : 2458

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:15 am

I mean... wouldn't it be great to leave Varrock and enter a vast wilderness type place! Like, the size of the Wilderness just between Varrock and Lumbridge (to scale, obviously, if we increase the size of Varrock then that size increases to). To actually spend a good half an hour discovering what lies between Varrock and Lumbridge before setting up a transport route between them (such as gnome gliders, etc).

The map would be dull for places you haven't visited, and you cannot travel or even see options to travel to places you haven't been to.

A larger map can mean more micellanious races! Like the Hobbs in Fable 2! They have warriors, magicians and archers. Although... the magicians are also necromancers who summon loads of undead hobbs before attacking you with magic. The undead hobbs use melee, and the magicians will keep summoning them until he cannot (via death) - death of the magician also causes all his undead hobbs to die. Other random races could include all-magic tribes, tribes that hide up trees and ranged you. And so many more possibilities! They don't all need storylines!

The map would be split up into continents. In WoW there is Kalimdor, East Lands, Northrend and Baronland - RuneScape's would be the main continent, Agerdomus, Karamja, East Lands and West Lands. Each continent is split up into provinces - such as Misthilania, Asgarnia, etc, places like Karmaja and Agerdomus could be provinces. Then each province is split up into cities. In WoW the Tauren begin their adventure in Mulgore - in RuneScape it's Lumbridge. But Lumbridge isn't some tiny camp!

This is Mulgor! The newbie spot is the south-most flag, which would be our tutorial area, then they move up a flag (which is called Bloodhoof) and then they move up to Thunderbluff. Monsters get increasingly higher levelled... in the newbie area there is a dodo like creature which is level 1-3, then there's an adult dodo which is 4-6, then there's an elder dodo which is 7-11 - my character was level 10 and I struggled to kill the level 11 dodos! Tongue

RuneScape's HOT new look! Mulgore

To the east is a province called "Baron Lands", although this could be what a lot of locations are called... I didn't play for long. This would be similar to leaving Lumbridge and exploring the surroundings heading the Draynor or heading the Varrock. Baron Lands has settlements, but it's mainly just a vast-- baron area. Draynor could possibly just be one of the settlements in a baron/wilderness area - with Varrock and Falador being other nearby provinces. Smile

Last edited by 3mptylord on Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:36 pm

They terms I've used are bad... argh, I'll just hurry up and do my example map of Varrock. Tongue

Okay, should Varrock be the equivalent of Mulgore - an area containing a few settlements, or should Varrock be one of those settlements? If Varrock is a settlement and not an area, then we'd have to name the areas... Misthalin is too large to be the area. Misthalin would be the equivalent of Kalimdor (scroll up) on the WoW map. Whether we call it a country or a state is irrelevant.
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:17 am

I'm sorry...why?
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Number of posts : 3550
Location : Within the hallowed halls of the mighty, those known only as nobles.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:25 am

... it's called progress.
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:28 am

how is wasting 1000's of the man hours of jagex on something that very few players care about a worthy endeavour...in that time jagex could probably write 10 epic new quests...solve some problems and create a new minigame as well as 10 D&Ds
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:55 am

I'm sorry... when did fun discussion turn into whether something is a waste of Jagex's time? Yes, such an update would take a while... but it would include quests for the new areas, new things to do in the new areas. RuneScape needs an expansion that will keep players exploring for a while - the odd patch gets boring very quickly.
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TATORZ Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:56 am

Why... not? Bigger world = more space for new stuff = more use for skills and training.
TATORZ
TATORZ
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:08 am

Okay...maybe

But...if so i would also like to see a more high density population...the town of falador has 20-30 guard, same amount of knights, and same amount of citizens...There should be merchants travelers & adventurers the odd clown shopwing off his talents etc...
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:08 am

Larger servers would be something that Jagex would probably have to do - you can't make the map bigger and keep a population of 2000, that's... empty. Tongue

RuneScape's HOT new look! Runesc11

A few notes. The little squares with feet are watchtowers - guards would be updated with this to be a little more guardy, and less noob-prey. Squares without feet are houses that are slightly distanced from their town. Ekelesh'kaan is a Goblin Village of the Ekeleshuun tribe. The dark-grey names are neighbouring areas... the Barbarian Village would lie in Faladorn Woods, and the Lumb Fields contains nothing but vast fields (some being farmed, some empty). Creatures would inhabit grassy areas... cats, bore, birds, etc. Random prey. Varrock no longer has two quarries, but instead has a large mine to the south-east. This mine only scrapes the surface of a mountainous scape the spans all the way to Kharid - there will be accessible terrain in the mountain with wolves, and such. The trees are merely decorative and aren't necessarily representative of the woodcutting skill. The Varrock we know exists in the town of Varrock, the whole thing om that one square - of course, that's not including changes to Varrock itself. Roads need to be wide enough to drag a cart down! Avon is a mining town, whilst Arrav is a Guild (only in town-size). The Guild not only trains champions, but most of Misthalin's guards.

It's hard to describe scale... ummm... it would take maybe 10 minutes to walk from one side to the other? 5-6 minutes if you run the whole way?

Older version;
Spoiler:

Last edited by 3mptylord on Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:58 am; edited 5 times in total
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:13 am

Cool...has the potential to be really great...but i meant NPC population
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:15 am

Oh, that is also inevitable. There would be more residential in new-look... with RuneScape families. Dad's who actually leave for a day's work at the Lumberyard, guards who patrol the roads. Tongue
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TATORZ Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:20 am

Oooh... and random traders running along the roads? Tongue
TATORZ
TATORZ
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:33 am

Yes, random traders too! Grin
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TATORZ Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:45 am

What about... ummm... more... stuff going on? Tongue
TATORZ
TATORZ
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:46 am

I think that's obvious. Tongue

RuneScape's HOT new look! Compar10
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:00 am

I should probably add a little square jutting out of Varrock (city) for the Grand Exchange. Tongue
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:14 am

OMG RANDOM TRADERS! MY DREAM HAS COME TRUE!
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by invinible Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:43 am

You do know that in the Recruitment Drive quest that the Temple Knights
have figured out that there is about 2,000,000 players and npcs in
RuneScape at all times. Don't you?
invinible
invinible
Proselyte

Number of posts : 149

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 19 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum