The Suggestion Site
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Influence, Death and Kept Items

+4
Dark Avorian
TATORZ
invinible
The Empty Lord
8 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Which do you like? (multiple choice - altough the percentages aren't worked out as well as RuneScape's)

Influence, Death and Kept Items - Page 3 I_vote_lcap50%Influence, Death and Kept Items - Page 3 I_vote_rcap 50% 
[ 7 ]
Influence, Death and Kept Items - Page 3 I_vote_lcap21%Influence, Death and Kept Items - Page 3 I_vote_rcap 21% 
[ 3 ]
Influence, Death and Kept Items - Page 3 I_vote_lcap29%Influence, Death and Kept Items - Page 3 I_vote_rcap 29% 
[ 4 ]

Total Votes : 14

Influence, Death and Kept Items - Page 3 Empty Influence, Death and Kept Items

Post by The Empty Lord Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:47 am

First topic message reminder :

Influence;
Spoiler:

Death;
Spoiler:

Items kept on death;
Spoiler:

Last edited by 3mptylord on Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:52 am; edited 3 times in total
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 7344

http://3mptylord.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Influence, Death and Kept Items - Page 3 Empty Re: Influence, Death and Kept Items

Post by Prince Patar Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:04 am

Ah, yes. Grin

Prince Patar
Squire

Number of posts : 41

Back to top Go down

Influence, Death and Kept Items - Page 3 Empty Re: Influence, Death and Kept Items

Post by The Empty Lord Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:35 am

Death is the one who greets PVPers, the receive no mercy. Wink
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:52 pm

I'm sorry I really disagree with the idea that you should keep all your items...
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Number of posts : 3550
Location : Within the hallowed halls of the mighty, those known only as nobles.

Back to top Go down

Post by TATORZ Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:03 pm

TATORZ
TATORZ
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Number of posts : 2458

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:43 am

I fail to see why you should be punished in that specific circumstance.
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:37 am

why not...if u get to keep all your items what reason is there to avoid death...Oh no I have to go see a smith and get some of my armour repaired oh teh noez...runescape isn't a game like maplestory where death removes experience (but it never takes you below your current lvl) so it has to ahve some punishment for death)
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:44 am

Do you remember the Wish List in the Temple of Light quest? I got PK'ed whilst searching for something... I went the wrong way, but that's not the point. I fail to see why I should have been punished by losing near 28 items that took me almost an hour to obtain... questing doesn't deserve that sort of punishment. This was before the Grand Exchange, and the changes to death - basically, I spawned in Lumbridge and pegged it to the bank for runes for the nearest teleport. I arrived on the seen only to find the stuff the pk'er obviously picked up and re-dropped... the rest was lost. That isn't punishment - that's "why do I bother?". If you're PKing then the punishment is fine... but for questing, and the like, I think taking Condition-damage seems fair. And it's not a case of spending <500gp to repair anything - it costs a fair bit! This system will hardly affect higher levels anyway - they're prepared to pay for replacements anyway, that's why they do it. It's only lower levels this truly affects.
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:15 am

I'm sorry...you were in a PKing zone...that means that it is dangerous! You should be punished...

death is a risk we run in runescape...I think that it should be punished...and if we don't punish it then inflation will run rampant
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:16 am

By that I mean that death is probably one of the maindrains on itmes and money in the game and helps to combat inflation
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:22 am

Okay, your opinion. Please, just leave it at that. Other players on this forum like the death idea, so you're the minority. I know loads of players that, at the time, would temporarily quit after dying because they simply couldn't be bothered (of course, prices were much higher and it took slightly longer to buy replacements). In a game punishment should be fair. It shouldn't be a complete wash-over, and should add an element of "you should do this differently next time" - but it shouldn't make you feel like you've lost everything. Why do you think the character is named the Angel of MERCY... she pities those who died, she doesn't make it lossless, but she doesn't act coldly as with Death.
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruy112 Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:25 am

I once lost a Rune 2-hand, I didn't get the idea of a skull and thought: "Hey, I'll protect this" That was my entire fortune, 90k that I made creating Iron Plates and selling to a shop. That earned me 1k per 5 plates. I was close to crying.
Ruy112
Ruy112
Partisan
Partisan

Number of posts : 1623

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:29 am

See, Ruy is an example of punishment that doesn't belong in a game - there's a difference between telling people to try it better next time, and saying "Hah! You died!".

Of course, death has matured in game in the respect that it's easier to save your items... even in the wilderness you get a grave. So why is the Angel of Mercy so preposterous? It's just a backwards grave... you have to find Mercy, rather than your grave. Patar suggested that the longer you take the more of a punishment you incur... it's entirely possible.

Back before Halberds were that widely known - although they still aren't that known (I still get asked what's up with my spear) - I once died trying to defeat a boss in a quest. I had more price-valuable stuff on me, so I lost my halberd... but it was my pride and joy lol. I worked so hard to complete Regicide so I could buy a Rune Halberd, and 100k was a lot of money for me back then, and now I had to find 100k again. Like I said... the new death system will only really effects the lower levelled players. If I died now I could easily just replace my weapon. Grin
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TATORZ Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:03 am

Isn't the angel of mercy the best grave?

Or was it death?
TATORZ
TATORZ
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:57 pm

yeah and I've lost over a million in items about 10 times...and i that was mostly back when i ahd like 1.1mil

and only two of those were in pking situations

Also psycho...I happen to not like any of those ideas so I can't vote in the poll
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:24 pm

Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:08 am

Dark Avorian wrote:
3mptylord wrote:Okay, your opinion. Please, just leave it at that.

What is that supposed to mean...are you saying that because that's my opinion it shouldn't happen in game. Are you saying that it's my opinion but I shouldn't say what it is.

As in... your opinion has been established, end of that discussion. There is no point arguing over opinions. I can't see how you got either of those interpretations.

Dark Avorian wrote:
3mptylord wrote:Other players on this forum like the death idea, so you're the minority.

And so i should stay in my corner and behave? Most players would also like it if a quest gave a 13m experience lamp usable on any skill over 10. But I wouldn't support it because that would unbalance the game and make it too easy.

The point of a forum is constructive discussion - I know I don't always stay on task, but I've been working on that (I know it's hard not to retaliate to a post). Players who don't support rarely do or have anything constructive to offer - you've stated your non-support, that has been established, you have no use to this discussion if you are not going to be constructive. And how is your comparison anything alike? This new-system for PVE and non-Skull PVP death will not overpower the game or undermine the system - in effect, it's backwards of the current system. Players die, they spawn, and can choose to retrieve their stuff - the suggestion is that when a player dies, they spawn, and can choose to retrieve their stuff. The only difference is that you can obtain more items/items of your choice. As other players cannot receive your drops anymore, it makes no difference to anyone but the player in question how many of their items they get back.

Dark Avorian wrote:
3mptylord wrote: I know loads of players that, at the time, would temporarily quit after dying because they simply couldn't be bothered (of course, prices were much higher and it took slightly longer to buy replacements).

And I'm supposed to pity these people because they can't handle a basic principle taught to every runescape player?

Before the trade restriction, higher levels would pity them. I used to give out free armour in Lumbridge. Since we cannot anymore, the game should pity them in the place of good-willed players. Also, I don't recall being taught about death - I think I was only told about it from friends.

Dark Avorian wrote:
3mptylord wrote: In a game punishment should be fair.

I think the system we have is fair. You should lose items if you die. you have to lose something and I don't think that some combat damage on your armour is enough.
That's your opinion. I'm sorry, but I think that making your armour near-useless is just as good as making it non existent... the only difference is, near-useless armour demands Smithing, whilst non-existent armour requires going GE and buying it from player who most likely killed for it.

Dark Avorian wrote:
3mptylord wrote:Why do you think the character is named the Angel of MERCY... she pities those who died, she doesn't make it lossless, but she doesn't act coldly as with Death.

Yep and so does guthix/saradomin/merlin (lumb/fally/camelot)...he let's us keep all of our hard earned experience and three of our most "valuable" items. Trust me psycho..you don't wan't to play in a game that punishes by taking away experience
Oh, I don't know... the few I've played seemed to do it pretty fairly. It was actually a fairer punishment because at least you kept the equipment to earn it back.

Dark Avorian wrote:
3mptylord wrote:See, Ruy is an example of punishment that doesn't belong in a game - there's a difference between telling people to try it better next time, and saying "Hah! You died!".

And which is more effective at keeping a toddler away from a stove? telling them that it could burn their hand or the one time that they sneak in and touch it and it burns them? I'm not saying Hah, I'm saying that you deserved it...last tiem I checked jagex has always had warning screens anywhere that could get you skulled explaining the concept.
Better analogy - what's better for teaching a child, letting them burn themselves or throwing them in the over and cooking them for half an hour?

Dark Avorian wrote:
3mptylord wrote:Of course, death has matured in game in the respect that it's easier to save your items... even in the wilderness you get a grave.

You seem to be assuming that I like graves...sure I've benefited from them but I don't like them and I always try the demolish option on other peoples graves even when I know it won't work
I'm sorry to hear that, I truly am.
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:11 am

the thing about using the demolish option was a joke

and I love the way you didn't respond to my arguments based on high levels which are my real problem with this idea
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:13 am

Really doesn't read like one.
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TATORZ Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:01 am

Now all the sarcasm and bad grammar has gotten me confused... Tongue

Seriously, the only people that would want a quest that gives huge exp lamps are the new and selfish players.
TATORZ
TATORZ
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:17 am

again I love th way that neither of you responded to my last argument
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:35 am

Except it won't...It's the high levels who are more likely to have
100's of thousands of gp worth of non-combat related drops. and they
are the people who should know better.

I fail to see the argument there, I felt no need to respond to it. High levels take what they know they can afford to replace - they know better. It's only lower levels who can't afford to die, but can't afford to buy equipment to take that they don't care about. I'm not afraid to take anything because I know I can afford to replace it - I did not think like that when all my money was in one or two items.
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:40 am

Um...when all your money was in one or two items...

Unless you get skulled with those items you would never lose them...
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:50 am

Urmm... Dragon Claws worth LOADS on the market, it's high alch value is lower than most other Dragon equipment. This scenario is true for most things... the item you pay most for is actually worth less to the game. Zaros' Statuette, worth 5mil, is favoured over the Dragonfire Shield and the Armdayl Godsword...
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:57 am

yeah but if all your item is in one or two items you arent going to have three other pieces of dragon equipment...
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:59 am

Body and Legs are all prioritised over the claws, and most players carry an additional weapon. Tongue
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:15 am

Oh...wow I completely forgot to mention that didn't I?

I do support the idea of having a choice of what items to keep
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next