The Suggestion Site
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RuneScape's Great Magical Debate!

+2
Ruy112
The Empty Lord
6 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

RuneScape's Great Magical Debate! - Page 2 Empty RuneScape's Great Magical Debate!

Post by The Empty Lord Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:13 am

First topic message reminder :

The old thread from the forums! Wink

Pleased RuneScape's Great Magical Debate!
Spoiler:
Pleased Incomplete Theology!
Spoiler:
Pleased More BANG for your buck!
Spoiler:
Pleased BANG! BANG! You're dead!
Spoiler:
Pleased Useful whatchamacallits!
Spoiler:
Pleased Penny for your thoughts, a whole fortune for what you're using!
Spoiler:
Pleased A mana-ificent new idea!
Spoiler:
*´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´•.¸¸.•´¯`•._.•
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 7344

http://3mptylord.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

RuneScape's Great Magical Debate! - Page 2 Empty Re: RuneScape's Great Magical Debate!

Post by TATORZ Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:28 am

We're talking about players though. This wouldn't really affect monsters at all.

It's not like you would be able to reduce massive amounts of damage, but it needs to do something. Maybe it can reduce damage by 1/10 per level, rounded up. So at the most, you could drop 10 damage off, but that's all luck, it's not going to reduce it by 10 every time.

TATORZ
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Number of posts : 2458

Back to top Go down

RuneScape's Great Magical Debate! - Page 2 Empty Re: RuneScape's Great Magical Debate!

Post by Dark Avorian Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:31 am

Ok...i like the idea...but don't affect monster hits...and don't...for gods sake don't show two hit splats
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Number of posts : 3550
Location : Within the hallowed halls of the mighty, those known only as nobles.

Back to top Go down

Post by TATORZ Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:37 am

I understand where you're coming from, it would annoy me to have two different splats.
TATORZ
TATORZ
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:51 am

maybe ahve another little bubble by the minimap that flashes any defended damage
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:24 am

You realise that bosses don't have defence bonuses, don't you? If they did, you would never land an attack because the sheer negativeness would make any accuracy you have negative. To be honest, PvE combat is crap. A level 3 player can take on a swarm of level 3-11 goblins and survive for ages. In WoW, a level 3 finds it hard to kill multiple level 3s... which makes sense. Effectively, the aggressiveness formula is the same, double your level... this should be the point when you can take on multiple of that target. I was level 14 when I quit WoW the last time I tried to get hooked (I've tried three times so far, I don't see the appeal) - at that level I still couldn't take on multiple level 9s... they massacred me. I struggled to even kill level 12 melee-users (being a magic user, my melee defence is particularly high).

Anyway, with resilience, both you and the NPC get it... they may be negating a bit of your damage, but so are you. Tongue
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:42 am

But they have defence lvls...plus we're adventurers...not city slickers
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by TATORZ Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:43 pm

Jagex prolly has stats for all monsters, I'd bet they could figure something out.
TATORZ
TATORZ
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:11 am

Yeah...and of course they do...they have every Npc's profile stored on the servers...
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:22 am

Defence is about all an NPC has in terms of defence, unless it is suppose to have a specific weakness (monsters that can only be killed by stab have really high bonuses for everything else). *shrugs*
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:44 am

yeah but i think it works remarkably welll that way
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by TATORZ Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:26 am

Suuuuuure...
TATORZ
TATORZ
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:28 am

what's wrong with it...
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by TATORZ Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:29 am

*shrugs*
TATORZ
TATORZ
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:30 am

*lurks in a dark corner*
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:35 am

So I recently looked at some old attempts of mine to make a fantasy lore and I reworked some of it to create a four way split of magic...

Imbuing: This is basically Runecrafting & Enchant Spells & New Augment spells for mage armour/staffs

Changing: Alchemies, Teleports, and Most of Psycho's Sorcery

Conjuration/Summonation(both taken aaargh!): the ability to summon raw energies of magic...the magic strength skill

Casting/Manipulation: The attack skill

Spells could now be cast in two ways...which one you use is toggled at the top of the spellbook interface: Raw and Refined....raw trains Conjuration...refined trains manipulation
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by TATORZ Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:15 am

4 different ways... Neutral
TATORZ
TATORZ
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:55 am

I dislike the current way PvE works because a level 60 Monster is no where near the same as a level 60 Player, so the use of "Level 60" is a very unfair comparison. I've said this before, but PvE between two combatants of the same level should be an even fight - this doesn't occur in RuneScape. A monster shouldn't be claimed as a level if it's nowhere near as strong as it.

Imbuing: This is basically Runecrafting & Enchant Spells & New Augment spells for mage armour/staffs

I dislike combining Runecraft with anything that doesn't resemble it in any way. Runecraft isn't adorning, enchanting, augments, none of it. Runecraft is a resource gathering skill... you visit locations which leak magical properties and absorb them in eseence. The combination between this and the other two elements doesn't make sense to me.

Changing: Alchemies, Teleports, and Most of Psycho's Sorcery

I dislike the name "changing" lol... also, how does enchant not fit into this? Alchemy, Teleportation and Enchament all alter the physical properties of the target item - changing them into something else, relocating them, empowering them, etc.

Conjuration/Summonation(both taken aaargh!): the ability to summon raw energies of magic...the magic strength skill

I fail to see the "magic strength skill" from your one line description. It sounds more like my manifests from my tomes idea, which you flamed for taking the heat from Summoning (whilst you agree with ideas like Necromancy and Demonology, which also would).

Casting/Manipulation: The attack skill

At least you finally agree attacking and everything else aren't the same skill. Wink

Spells could now be cast in two ways...which one you use is toggled at the top of the spellbook interface: Raw and Refined....raw trains Conjuration...refined trains manipulation

So Raw and Refined is just the Accurate and Aggressive attack styles, only in magic format? Good use of terms, btw. Smile
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:09 am

unfortunately conjuration/summonation are already in use so...

But basically what I mean is that when you draw upon the magic energy of runes you can be better or worse at pulling all the energy from them...So basically as this skill gets higher the sheer amount of power you can summon for your spells is higher...but they become harder to control when they have more power...raw casts is trying to use as much power as you can...a refined cast is trying to manipulate it as best you can

Runecrafting is drawing energy and storing it in runes for later use, Enchanting is drawing energy and storing it in jewellery/bolts for alter use
Imbuing is drawing energy and storing it in stuff for later use

In any world i've created in my mind Magic has 3 types ... Casting, Imbuing, and Affecting (CIA ftw) These are general terms for the different ways in which one uses magic...you either use it to change something, store it in something, or form it and cast it at something...of course you may completely disagree
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:22 am

unfortunately conjuration/summonation are already in use so...
So? Both Conjuring and Summoning make no sense for what you intend anyway. All your suggesting is a magic-strength skill, where a higher skill allows you to use the magic within runestones more powerfully. This doesn't fit the terms conjuration, or summoning (or words to those effect).

Runecrafting is drawing energy and storing it in runes for later use, Enchanting is drawing energy and storing it in jewellery/bolts for alter use Imbuing is drawing energy and storing it in stuff for later use.
Aye, storing it in runes for later use - resource gathering. You aren't storing it in a piece of jewellery to use at a later date... you aren't using a different medium to collect rune energy, they are nothing alike. Enchanting is altering, or "changing", the properties of said item.

Going by the "Magic" concept in most games - not including everything that is magical, such as demonology, necromancy, summoning, etc - I only see three skills, also. Effectively your "Casting" idea - this is basically just an attack skill; a strength-skill to some respect, where your force behind your attack is stronger. And a chemistry-like - anything that manipulates physical properties. Smile
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:26 am

You summon the power within the runes...
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:29 am

That's not really a good reason to call it summoning. I summon a sword from my sheath... it's just a fancy word to mean "produce".
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:30 am

Dude stop f-ing attacking my use of language... does it really matter THAT much
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:34 am

... well after you used imbuing to mean a combination of runecrafting and enchantment, I don't know if its an intentional thing or just using wrong words. I'm sorry I questioned - questions aren't attacks, otherwise something is majorly messed up there.
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:38 am

Well I view enchanting and runcrafting as far more similar than enchanting and teleporting
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:40 am

I fail to see how teleporting and alchemy are the same if enchantment is not classed under the same definition. I'm still failing to even understand how enchantment and runecrafting are anything alike... the definition of enchantment alone is nothing like runecrafting - runecrafting stores and enchantment, well, enchants. You don't enchant essence - you are keeping reserves of energy in the ring, or whatever. It's no more runecrafting than alchemy. Confuse
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:45 am

But you are storing magic in both of them
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next