Mythics: Stagnant Discussion

Page 5 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mythics: Stagnant Discussion

Post by 3mptylord on Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:06 am

First topic message reminder :

I've changed the title of the thread because the apostrophe wouldn't behave.

The twelve labours, inspired by both mythology and our unofficial mascot Dark Sylvania;

Nemean lionNemyonGuantletsWritten by Jeeves.
Lernaean hydraLernosDiademWritten by Jeeves.
Cerinean hindCerinaHelm
Erymanthian boarErymontAxe-hammerWritten by Jeeves.
Augean stablesAugoHelmWritten by Trixtor.
Stymphalian birdsStympho
Creten bullCretosMace
Mares of DiomedesTrace
Shield of HippolytaHippolytaRising Sun
Cattle of GeryonGeryon
Apples of the HesperidesLadonGolden Apple
CerberusCerberusStaff/Whip

Timeline of the Mythics' Quest;
• Grandeur, the gateway to the Mythics' Guild, must be appeased. The requirements for this section are merely the skill requirements for the quest, having completed the Legends' Quest and having a certain number of quest points. The plinth that Grandeur stands on has three icons connected by rivulets. You need them all to light up.
• Through the gateway you can see the image above, basically. Only, the warrior is also a statue and facing the other way. These thirteen statues are, in effect, Hercules and the twelve labours. Accompanying them is a fourth character, imposing as a thirteenth labour - Durial, our antagonist.
• "Herclues" will introduce the labours, and what they are for. It should be noted that the labours themselves, and Herclues, are irrelevant to the quest at the moment. Players can complete them now or later. It should also be noted that Hercules does not mention Durial, our 13th Labour. Trying to make him stick out.
• Each labour would be based on the labours from Greek Mythology. This is the guild of Mythics after all, and Greek wouldn't be the only source when we finally have access to the guild. "Completing a labour" involves retrieving a lost relic that has been hidden in your time. These tasks take place in both RuneScape, and bespoke instances.
• Durial requires three items; the Blades of Eleyon, the Cloak of Shadows and the Potion of Vulnerability. Each item will require utmost knowledge of RuneScape, as no requirements are officially given. This quest may seem long - but the labours aren't required at this point.
• After obtaining all three items for Durial he will exit the guild - returning to his own time. In the same cinematic, future-you will arrive; panting hysterically and cursing that he took too long (mentioning something about other future-yous and how he failed to improve... which you will also say).
• Future-you, though you don't know it yet, will tell you what you need to do next; which of the three labours you should complete. You require the Rising Sun, the Hydra's Diadem, and something defensive to counter the Blades of Eleyon. Future-you will also tell you what Durial's true intentions are.
• After having obtained these, your next mission is to activate the Chronarch's Throne, an altar capable of reversing the flow of time within the guild. *insert more on this segment*.
• Successfully rewinding time, you most exit the guild into the past and locate Durial. The fight will be epic... think Nomad, just harder (or perhaps not, Dark's still killing himself trying to kill Nomad). During this fight Durial will accuse you of being Guthix, among other interesting foods-of-thought.
• Return to the guild and fast-forward to the present. On your way to Grandeur, to speak with your future-self, you will notice two omens - Durial and yourself. Panicking, you run forward to try and stop yourself handing Durial the items. You will, of course, fail... and, well, you can probably see where I'm going.
• This segment is surprisingly easy, merely tell your past-you what to do.

The quest needs to end somewhere. Possibly when you exit the Guild and Grandeur's gargoyles will laugh at you, seemingly aware of you you'd just done. Or... the moment you return to the present it's quest-over, with aiding past-you merely being a required postal-script. I suppose that's the only issue with having a quest with no true questmaster.

February 14th, 2010;
Spoiler:
Passed the Flames of Lloigh-enn, is the pathway to the Guild of Mythics. By now you have already passed through Grandeur, the great archway. Durial stands blockading at the end of the guarded walkway.

Durial appears to be one of 13 statues that line the pathway to the Guild. Players may complete all or none of the 12 statues before Durial. Durial requires a potion, a blade and a cloak obtained from yet-to-be-decided locations. Three of the twelve statues will prove useful for the later part of the quest, so if you do them before Durial it will save time doing them afterwards. After having collected Durial's items, he will leave to his own time and our futureself will become the obstruction to the guild. If you haven't already done the required labours, our futureself will tell us which to do.

*insert timetravel section*
February 13th, 2010;
Spoiler:
Thus far we'd only actually come up with guildlore and items we wished to include in the quest. The actual layout for how/why the items were obtained kept changing so Jeeves and I didn't feel bad coming up with a new reasoning. The following also adds an actual guild-set requirement for entry of which there wasn't one before hand.

The Mythics' Guild refers to the entirety of the area within the guild, excluding the path. In that, not specifically a building. This comment here is purely so we have some fixed terminology.

The path between the gate and the guild exists out of sync - almost in real-time, but almost in guild-time. Aligning the path are twelve statues; twelve unique statues. These statues represent the Labours (based on Greek Mythology). All Mythics must complete the Labours in order to enter the guild. Durial stands at the end of the path, observing our progress and awaiting the time that we finish the trials and become useful to him (for until we can actually enter the guild, we can't interact with him beyond words - not good when he needs items from us). Why us? Imagine that scene in films where the main character is nearly still in the centre of focus and life is just zooming passed? That was Durial until he saw us. Something about us stuck out.

Though not accurate with the loading screen, a thirteenth statue stands in the middle of the path immediately when you enter. This statue will introduce you to the Labours. He will inform you that something has been removed from each of the statues and places in your time and it is your task to recover it - Guarding each piece is an avatar of the statue. Once you have recovered all twelve items, you move on to Durial (the thirteenth labour as far as we're concern) - "My missing pieces will require... more creativity." The Rising Sun could easily be one of the artefacts we collect in the first part.

Players should note that the centre statue does not mention a 13th. Our futureselves will replace Durial as a roadblock to the guild. What's required to traverse time is still to be decided.

Any of this could be rearranged. I proposed that each of the twelve items could be a reward - but I then thought that it might be more interesting if that was optional, something post-quest. Or is RFD a good theme? Are twelve relics too many to be a required part of the quest?
October 1st, 2009;
Spoiler:
Durial wants to stop Guthix from remodelling the world into Gielinor, which inevitably destroys all that Durial holds dear. Unknowing of the task, we aid Durial in collecting three items - believing this was the initiation to the Mythics' Guild - the blade of Eleyon, the cloak of Shadows and the Vulnerability Potion (made from the bloodyield, pure ectoplasm and an un-chosen solid that would reflect upon the mind in some way - boiled in hellfire and bathed in starlight).

Upon giving Durial these items, he exists the guild. Of course, Durial was not from our time and left the guild into the 0th Age. As there were no repercussions of our actions, it is to be assumed that was succeeded in rectifying what we've done. However, that's just the optimists way of looking at things. In the present, we haven't yet done anything. But we are not alone. During the second part of the quest wherein we must collect countermeasures to our previous toils, the main personality is our future-self - however, we don't learn this until later, either. The only decided item that we would require to collect was the Rising Sun.

After obtaining these items, we are then required to return to the past in order to fight Durial and prevent him from succeeding. To do this, we must unlock the chamber of fate that resides in the centre of the guild. The guildmasters, the wraiths, will not help you and you will only have the aid of your futureself. He instructs you that their is one additional item that you require, and one that you have held before - the Enchanted Key. To activate the key within the chamber of fate, three present-tense Mythics must stand about the plinth and will it to work - ourselves being one, we must convince the another two to help us. I think the Wise Old Man was decided as one of said Mythics, it's possible that Bob the Cat could be our second (and the hint towards this would be Robert the Strong having a chin wag with us during the quest).

Within the past, some epic fight must occur. Durial will believe us to be Guthix, having traversed time, and will fight us over that though. At one point he will claim that even if we are not Guthix now, we will become "Guthix". Success is required to further the quest, but death applies as with any quest. After defeating Durial we hear a voice echo within our head - to be speculated as Guthix.

Your quest is over. However, there is an additional segment to the quest (sort of like the wish list) where we can aid our past selves complete the quest. This is required so has to keep the flow of time in flux - as we were helped by ourselves, we must return the favour.

Last edited by 3mptylord on Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:28 am; edited 25 times in total

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
If all good things come to an end then we're living in a world where evil wins. 

If there once was love then maybe something survived. If we find a single diamond in the rough then it's worth it. Through a thousand tears if there's one drop of love then it's worth it. 
3mptylord
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 7343

View user profile http://3mptylord.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Mythics: Stagnant Discussion

Post by 3mptylord on Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:13 am

Well... the altar has to be in the guild. Tongue

3mptylord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by trixtor on Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:16 am

Delete bob the cat, because it's not guaranteed that the player will find him. The Wise old man is perfect, I suggest Wizard Traiborn as the other Mythics' guild member needed. So is the Time travel device a throne or an altar? Oh yes, Dark Sylvania... I have to fave that artwork, it's awesome!
trixtor
Advocate

Number of posts : 538

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 3mptylord on Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:18 am

What's wrong with Bob the Cat? He's in every world and we've had to find him before. Plus, Robert the Strong is already in the guild... so, it makes sense that Bob would be a choice. Tongue

It's an altar, but it's called a throne. Smile

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

If there once was love then maybe something survived. If we find a single diamond in the rough then it's worth it. Through a thousand tears if there's one drop of love then it's worth it. 
3mptylord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by trixtor on Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:19 am

Still, I think The Jublex Cat isn't the best "person" to use. The other reason is: It's wizard traiborn!
trixtor
Advocate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 3mptylord on Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:24 am

Yes, Wizard Traiborn is an awesome character (although I honestly don't remember him from Demon Slayer)... but Bob is known to have done something. Grandeur doesn't let any old people in. Wink

Maybe, to add an element of randomness, which Mythics future-you tells you to gather are different between players? Smile

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

3mptylord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by trixtor on Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:29 am

That's a great idea! And it lets us use Sir Tiffy Cashien!
trixtor
Advocate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 3mptylord on Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:31 am

We need to choose players who have done great things... and not interfer with existing story-lines, unless stealing them for the quest doesn't permanently damage them. *cough wgs cough*. Tongue

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

3mptylord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeeves on Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:32 am

Eh, here's my attempt at a statue subquest. Tell me what you think. Smile

---------------
The First Labor
---------------

Our hero, confused by Durial's sudden departure and irritated by the new obstruction to the Guild, had no other choice but to examine the statues lining the path. He stopped at the first he came to, a lion, rearing up on its hind legs, its jaws wide in a fearsome roar. Bending closer to the statue, our hero sees an inscription carved into the base of the statue:

In the jungle, warm and dark
You shan't begin your quest
But search instead a humble park
Where animals can rest

Being the clever and intelligent hero that he was, our hero knew instantly that the inscription referred to the Ardougne Zoo, that happy haunt of animals, birds, and monsters alike. Upon arrival, our hero approached the zookeepers, eager to find the lion cage. Unfortunately, the zoo did not have a lion cage, nor did any of the zookeepers even recall seeing a lion before. After several attempts, our hero finally found someone who might be able to help.

You: Hello. I'm looking for a lion. Have you seen any recently?

Parrot Pete: Finally someone believes me!

You: Er...come again?

Parrot Pete: I've been trying to tell people for a whole week that there's been a lion roaming around here!

You: Really? Do you know where he is?

Parrot Pete (conspiratorially): He only comes out at night and when no one else is looking.

You (more skeptically): Riiiight. Do you think I would be able to see the lion.

Parrot Pete: Oh sure! No one ever asks to wait with me and catch a glimpse of him. Just wait until nightfall and I'll take you to my hiding spot.

Our hero took Parrot Pete up on his offer, however doubtful he was that anything would come of this venture. Soon, night fell and the rest of the staff went home. Parrot Pete led our hero over to some bushes by the scorpion cage and the two lay in hiding.

Parrot Pete: He always comes out near the cage. He walks over, stands here for a bit, and then walks away again. I've never seen anything like it.

You: What do you mean?

Parrot Pete: I mean, this lion stands on two legs! And he shines, too, like he's wearing some sort of armor!

Our hero was about to reply to this absurd statement when a figure approached from out of the darkness.

Parrot Pete (whispering excitedly): See, see! There it is!

You: I see it, but I don't believe it...

A lion-esque creature stood before our hero, completely lion-like in appearance, but standing on two legs like a man. Its skin glistened like armor and even seemed to be armor at times. It stood for a few seconds, looking around, before walking back into the darkness.

Parrot Pete: Finally someone else has seen it! Now they have to believe me!

You: I'm not so sure that was a real lion. It looked...glittery.

Parrot Pete (angrily): I don't need your doubt! I'll show everyone tomorrow night just how much of a lion it really is.

Parrot Pete stormed angrily off in the opposite direction of the lion, but our hero knew what he had to do. Getting down on his knees, he examined the path for signs of the lion's trail. After a few minutes of searching, he discovered the footprints it had left behind. He followed the footprints deep into the Feldip Hills, land of the ogres. Eventually, the tracks led to a cave with two entrances which could only be the lair of the lion-creature.

Our hero entered one of the entrances and crept along the passage, realizing only after he was attacked by a shadow-loving grue that he would need some sort of light if he was too venture further into the cave. As luck would have it, the cave wasn't a simple one and was composed of tricky obstacles.

--------------
Obstacle One
--------------

After walking forward as far as possible, our hero was confronted by a solid wall of rock. Looking up, however, he discovered a half-rotten ladder hanging from the ceiling. It was just high enough to reach, but he was not able to pull himself up to the next rung because of the weight of his armor. Having removed it both his body armor and his leg armor, our hero was able to successfully climb the ladder and reach the next floor of the cave.

--------------
Obstacle Two
--------------

After stumbling along the second floor of the cave for a while, our hero came across a subterranean river...of lava! It was wide enough and hot enough that there was no conceivable way of crossing it, and it looked as though our hero might have to abandon his quest for the lion. But as he turned to leave, he spotted an alcove carved into the side of the cavern. Inside, holes were hewn into the rock in such a way that he could climb up, deeper into the recesses of the cavern.

At the top of the "ladder" our hero was confronted with a twisty maze of rough stone crawlspaces. Since he had nothing better to do, he started crawling through them, looking for something that could possibly be of use. Eventually, he arrived at an area with a large stone wheel and a hole in the wall, through which he could see what looked like a stone chute. Turning the wheel turned the chute and a nearby lever opened a hatch above the chute, although nothing came out.

Clearly this chute did something, but part of the mechanism was broken. Our hero continued through the crawlspaces until he reached a slope, at the top of which was a series of smaller chutes, all tilted, turned and flipped various directions and at varying heights. A rickety set of rotted scaffolds and ladders led up the chamber to the chutes at the very top. It looked like some sort of archaic irrigation or aqueduct system. A lever at the bottom of the chamber confirmed this thought; it opened a hatch at the top of the chamber and a torrent of water flooded onto the first chute, which promptly spilled it all onto the ground.

After messing around with the direction and angle of the chutes (which involved jumping across the rotted scaffolding and nearly breaking his neck in the process), our hero managed to successfully orient the chutes so that the water would flow from the top of the chamber to a hole in the bottom.

Returning to the room with the large wheel, our hero oriented the chute in some random direction and pulled the lever, rejoicing as the water flowed successfully down into the river of lava below. Upon reaching the ground again, he noticed that the current orientation of the chute dumped the water several yards away from him and in a place that would be completely useless. He changed the angle and this time, the water dumped right in front of him, parting the lava in such a way that he could jump onto a bare spot in the middle of the river and jump successfully to the other bank. (Mind you, this is either very powerful water or very weak lava).

----------------
Obstacle Three
----------------

As our hero entered the tunnel on the other side of the river, he saw an orange glow in the distance. It must have been the lion! As our hero ran towards it, the glow shifted out of sight. The tunnel ended in a large chamber, scratch marks lining the walls, and the bones of dead adventurers piled in a corner. Only one other way led out of the chamber, presumably to the other entrance. It was down this passage that the lion had fled. Whichever direction our hero would approach from, the lion would always be able to flee out the other side if he saw him coming. To solve this problem, our hero returned outside the cave (picking up his armor along the way) and resolved to block the other entrance.

There were several ways for this to be accomplished. Our hero could either use his unparalleled strength to push a boulder from several yards away in front of the entrance (pushing the boulder once moved it only a foot or two and drained him of strength) or he could use his knowledge of construction to erect a wall of limestone or other rocks OR he could lay a trap in front of the entrance, such that the lion would notice it and not risk leaving (no ordinary trap would do, of course; this one had to be so extravagant and deadly, it could not be missed).

After the entrance was effectively blocked, our hero went back through the cave, dropping his armor at the ladder, and leaping across the lava. As he approached the last tunnel, he saw the orange glow in the chamber flee down the other passage but quickly reappear. Suddenly, a giant roar blasted him off his feet, hurling him down back down the passage. He stumbled back to his feet, only to realize that his inventory had been scattered along the tunnel.

Our hero tried to collect his food, weapons, runes, and everything else he had brought with him, but the lion-man was upon him before he could move more than a few feet.

Nemyon: You seek a relic for the Eternal Guild...Let us see if you possess the strength to wrest it from my paws!

Our hero knew he had to finish the fight quickly; he was without armor, food, or a weapon of any sort. He dashed around the lion and picked up his sword, but the blade seemed not to damage the thick armor surrounding the lion. He would have to finish this battle using nothing but his own body. The Nemyon made ample use of his razor-sharp claws, scratching our hero's back until it was nothing but fleshy ribbons. Our hero fought valiantly, striking at the lion when he could and dashing away to find a scrap of food with which to save his life. Finally, he managed to come up behind Nemyon and wrapped his arms around the fiend's neck.

The beast struggled for air, gasping for any amount of life-giving oxygen, but our hero held fast. Finally, the armored beast went limp in his arms. Our hero, respectful of his opponent yet eager for new equipment, tried with care to remove the impervious armor but was unsuccessful in all but the beast's gauntlets. These came off easily, the razor claws gleaming in the orange glow from the rest of the armor. As soon as the gauntlets had been removed, the dead body seemed to sigh, and the armor began crumbling and rusting before our hero's eyes. Soon, there was nothing but a pile of metal scraps.

Our hero collected his items and left the cave. To his astonishment, the cave vanished as soon as he left and no amount of searching revealed even the slightest trace he had been there. Our hero returned to Parrot Pete at the zoo to show him that the lion was, in fact, real and that it had been slain.

Parrot Pete: Lion? What lion? We've never had any lions around here.

You (perplexed): But...you told me about the lion on two legs! And we saw it come the other night!

Parrot Pete: I think you've spent too long in the sun, mate. Get some rest.

Realizing that the lion and all that had transpired during the search was nothing more than a test of the Guild, our hero returned once more to the Mythics' Guild, eager to present his new item to the statue and show that he was worthy. The gauntlets were placed on the lion's claws...but nothing happened except perhaps that the statue seemed a little more impressive.

You: Well...that was anticlimactic.
Jeeves
Advocate

Number of posts : 606

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by trixtor on Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:48 am

labour writers.
• Slay the Nemean Lion. Jeeves.
• Slay the 9-headed Lernaean Hydra. Jeeves.
• Capture the Golden Hind of Artemis. Ruy.
• Capture the Erymanthian Boar. Jeeves (3mpty started, kind of). Like a Star @ heaven
• Clean the Augean stables in a single day. Trixtor. Like a Star @ heaven
• Slay the Stymphalian Birds. Ruy?
• Capture the Cretan Bull.
• Steal the Mares of Diomedes. Dark Avorian.
• Obtain the Girdle of the Amazon Queen. Jere?
• Obtain the Cattle of the Monster Geryon. Trixtor.
• Steal the Apples of the Hesperides.
• Capture Cerberus. Trixtor (maybe).

When a section is finished, I will put a star next to it.

Last edited by trixtor on Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:55 am; edited 12 times in total
trixtor
Advocate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by trixtor on Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:50 am

More labour writers.
trixtor
Advocate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian on Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:04 am

The mares of diomedes are mine...Just expect blood and fun
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Number of posts : 3550
Location : Within the hallowed halls of the mighty, those known only as nobles.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 3mptylord on Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:10 am

I can't decide which I want to do. Tongue

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

3mptylord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Kandarin on Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:42 am

This. Sounds. AWESOME!
Sir Kandarin
Proselyte

Number of posts : 192

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian on Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:17 am

*screams*
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Number of posts : 3550
Location : Within the hallowed halls of the mighty, those known only as nobles.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 3mptylord on Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:44 am

We're doing good peeps.

*feels proud to be admin of the suggestionteam*

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

3mptylord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 3mptylord on Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:06 am

I'll conceptualise Ladon at work tomorrow. Smile

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

3mptylord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeeves on Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:04 pm

-------------------
The Second Labor
-------------------

Having returned successful from his venture to Nemyon's lair, our hero felt that he was quite able to handle another of the statues' labors. The next statue along the path was something resembling a....well, our hero didn't quite know it resembled. It looked like a snake at parts, but had legs like a mammal. The most unnatural thing about it, though was the fact it had nine heads, each of them forever snapping viciously at thin air. Our hero wiped the dust off the base of the statue and read the inscription carved there:

Bubble, bubbles everywhere
But not a drop to drink
Look you hence for hydra's lair
In water that'll stink

You: Whoever made these statues was really desperate for a rhyme.

Ignoring the bad rhymes in the inscriptions, our hero sat down to puzzle out the latest clue regarding the whereabouts of the next relic. After some time, it occurred to him that the only place where you could have undrinkable water, bubbles, and a horrible stench was a swamp, the most famous of which was the Lumbridge Swamp.

Our hero quickly made his way to the swamp, eager to be done with this labor quickly. Unfortunately, his path was blocked by a large wall that stretched all the way around the swamp, denying him any access to the swamp. As he neared Lumbridge, he saw a possible way in; a small wooden gate, built into the stone wall, was the only way through, but it was guarded by several men, all with large swords and mean dispositions.

You (cheerily): Excuse me, fellows. Let me just get through here and I'll be right on my way.

Gate Guard: No way, pal. We're under strict orders not to let anyone in.

You: Why not?

Gate Guard: Orders from the boss. Take it up with him. All we know is that there's a wall here and we're not supposed to let anyone through this gate. Now get lost!

Feeling that the boss must be more reasonable and knowledgeable, our hero sought to learn where he could find the leader of this thuggish group of men.

Gate Guard: Who's the boss? Everyone knows who the boss is! Standing right over there on that box. Ha, just try talkin' to him. See what happens.

Our hero glanced over at the box and noticed an incredibly fat man standing on a soapbox shouting to the town through a megaphone.

You: That's the boss?

Gate Guard (angrily): Of course that's the boss! Now go talk to him if that's what you wanted!

Our hero walked over to the soapbox and tried to initiate a conversation with the fat man only to be cut off by the man's voice ringing through the megaphone.

Boss Iolaus: A monster!! In the swamps! Run for your homes! Save your husbands, your wives, your children, your pet dogs! Save everyone and run!

You: ...

Boss Iolaus: The monster has been kept back by our walls but soon it will lay siege to all of Lumbridge! Take leave of this place! Run far from here!

You: Excuse me, but are you the boss?

Boss Iolaus: I am the leader of those who wish to keep the MONSTER from destroying our fair town!

You: Right, so you put that wall up?

Boss Ioalus (smugly): No thanks are necessary, stranger. I know you are grateful for the brief respite the wall will give you from the monster, but I do not need your gratitude.

You: No, I want to go through it.

Boss Iolaus (spluttering): Y-y-you w-what?! Nobody goes through the gate! There's a MONSTER through there! Absolutely nobody! Do you wish to die, stranger?

You (boldly): I think I can slay the monster!

Boss Iolaus: Bwa ha ha ha! Slay the monster? Stranger, you are quite delusional. You must run as far as you can! The wall cannot hold it back forever!

You: Am I going to get any help or answers from you at all?

Boss Iolaus: Not if I can help it, stranger.

Our hero realized that the boss was a combination of deliberately unhelpful and genuinely frightened...a bad combination for the person you're trying to get answers from. Although our hero suspected that the MONSTER was the same beast as the one on the statue, although that hardly helped him get through the gate or defeat it.

Seeing as the boss would be of no value, our hero returned to the gate to try and bring the guards over to his way of thinking. With the guards on his side, maybe the boss would look at things a little differently.

You: Hello again!

Gate Guard: What do you want? I thought we already told you not come through the gate.

You: I just wanted to talk to you about the boss.

Gate Guard: Yeah, what about him?

Our hero knew that he'd have to successfully navigate a deadly maze of words and persuasion in order to get each of the guards on his side. If his tongue slipped even once, he'd get locked up for disturbing the guards. Forward to danger!

You (from several potential topics): Do you really get the full job satisfaction you want from this job? Standing around, shouting at people...It doesn't seem like that's all there is in a career.

Gate Guard: The pay's good. The hours are pretty good.

You: I don't doubt it! But don't you think there's more than just good pay and good hours?

Gate Guard: Like what?

You (from several potential answers): Music

Gate Guard: Music? I can get that from those blokes what sing by the road.

You: No, to perform your own music! Do you have time to compose while you sit here guarding a gate.

Gate Guard (thoughtfully): Don't suppose I do. But what does it matter?

You: Haven't you ever wanted to be like those minstrels by the road?

Gate Guard: Not particularly. They dress funny.

You (from several potential options): Yes, but they get paid, you know.

Gate Guard (uninterestedly): Really.

You: Oh yes! They stand there, strum some strings, and people practically throw money at them.

Gate Guard (more interested now): Really?

You: They get paid to stand and strum strings. More, I daresay, than you get paid now.

Gate Guard: You don't say?

You: Your current paycheck is a mere fraction of what minstrels get! Come on, let's take it up with your boss.

The guard stepped away from his post and stood behind our hero, eager to get the most money out of his hours. But one guard wouldn't be enough. Our hero would have to get all the guards to leave the gate and bother the boss. He went to each of the other three and convinced them that by choosing some other profession or life's path they would be able to get whatever they pleased.

You (after a painfully long conversation): ...so you see...you're putting your own life at risk for what? To save others?

Gate Guard: Yeah...what have they ever done for me?

You (overjoyed): Precisely! Let the peasants die!!

Gate Guard: Right, I'm coming with you to give the boss a piece of my mind.

You (after still another long conversation): ...and really, when you come down to it, guarding a gate isn't anything like professional mugging.

Gate Guard: I suppose keeping people away from me does sort of stop that, huh?

You: I have a friend up in Varrock who can help you. I'll get him in touch with you.

Gate Guard: Hey, thanks! I'm going to go tell the boss that I quit!

You (nearly bored to death by these conversations): ...which makes me wonder why you even became a guard in the first place.

Gate Guard (nearly in tears): My...my mother always said that men should be big and strong.

You: Well, I think we should go have a talk with her about how you want to go dance in the circus.

Gate Guard: You've really helped me out.

Having gathered the four guards, our hero went over to the soapbox to show Boss Iolaus just how much no one wanted to guard the gate.

Boss Iolaus: And the monster will burn down your homes! And your children will be cast into the street and - hey, why aren't you at the gate?

Gate Guard: We quit, boss. This man showed us how pointless it is working for you and guarding your dumb gate. And you know what? I don't even think there's a monster. And no one else does either.

Boss Iolaus: You can't leave! If you leave, who will guard the gate?

You: So...about letting me into the swamp?

Boss Iolaus: Saradomin preserve us! The monster will have us all for supper!

You: What is this monster? Have you even seen it?

Boss Iolaus: All I know is what I've heard in stories...but I'm not sticking around to tell you! Just take this and good luck!

With that, the boss handed our hero a torch and, leaping down from his soapbox, sprinted away in the direction of Varrock. With weapon in hand, our hero returned to the gate and pushed it open, ready to face whatever terror might spring at him from the depths of the swamp.

At once, a white figure appeared out of a fetid puddle in front of our hero. It resembled a dragon somewhat, though it had a violet frill and its scales were pure white. And, unlike most dragons, it held two sickles in its hands and wore a glittering crown upon its head, studded with purple jewels.

Lernos (raspy): You seek a relic, adventurer? You seek my death? Try your hardest or fall beneath by poison....

Before our hero could do more than open his mouth to reply, the dragon sunk into the puddle only to be replaced by a giant neck with a dragon head attached. With nothing else to attack, our hero began to do battle with the head. Eventually, he lopped the thing clean off the neck and had turned to see where the dragon had gone when he heard a roar come from right behind him.

You: Could have sworn I killed you...

The neck had regrown the head in a matter of moments and our hero had to do battle once more with the thing he had already killed.

Lernos: You see, adventurer? I cannot die.....

As he lopped the head off for a second time, our hero remembered the torch the boss had given him. Thinking to cauterize the wound, he held it up to the severed neck and was instantly rewarded with a resounding screech. After waiting for a few moments to make sure it had worked, our hero turned from the stump, which was quite unable to regenerate.

At once, seven more heads rose from the swamp, attacking our hero from all sides. He spun around, trying to see which one was closest, but they all bobbed and swerved, dodging him on all sides. Our hero jabbed here, slashed there, doing minimal amounts of damage relative to the wounds inflicted upon himself. Each bite seemed to drain him of energy and he was poisoned anew with each avulsion.

As each head was lopped off, our hero made sure to burn the neck, preventing it from regenerating. Finally, bloody and battered, our hero stood in the middle of the swamp, eight heads of the hydra scattered at his feet. With a howl of rage, the dragon burst from the water in front of him.

Lernos: You shall never claim what is mine!

Our hero clashed blades with the dragon, parrying occasionally but ending up poisoned more often than not. The dragon seemed not to tire, even drawing strength as the battle wore on. Finally, though, he was forced to take a knee, panting.

Lernos: Just you wait, adventurer. My strength returns even as we speak. I cannot die!

Our hero knew that fire was the hydra's weakness and thrust his torch through the dragon as he knelt before him. With a howl of rage and pain, the dragon thrashed about before finally laying still. Our hero, after attempting to remove the sickles from the dragon and failing miserably, contented himself with taking the crown off his head. As soon as the metal left the dragon's scales, the body turned to ash and sank into the water of the swamp.

Leaving the swamp, our hero noticed that the walls had vanished as had every trace of Boss Iolaus and the guards. Indeed, nobody even seemed to remember them (although our hero had suspected this would happen). Arriving back at the Guild, our hero placed the crown on the hydra statue's main head and expected nothing to happen. He was not disappointed.
Jeeves
Advocate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruy112 on Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:22 pm

I am not quite sure how to do Stympho, my idea so far.

We are directed to the Eagle's Peak, were we meet a frightened Charlie. He claims to have seen a giant bird, that shot feathers of bronze at him and his tent. We go inside the mountain and gets an eagle, which we fly into the air, careful not being to heavy here. When we are high in the air, our eagle is killed in a single slash by Stympho and we start falling. Stympho tells us that we have to fly or we'll die for sure, with the Magic of the guild we managed to stop our fall, and here we battle Stympho and defeat him. We fall again, but manages to survive our fall.

The only thing left by Stympho was a Bronze Feather, and when we talk to Charlie he gives us another one, it was left by the bird that attacked his tent. We go inside the mountain again, and take a third Bronze Feather from the door. Now we have three, enough to open another door we haven't seen before. Behind it is some puzzle, which we complete and retrieve a Metallic Feather, which we return to the statue, although something seems a miss.

Afterwards we can tell Charlie about what happened, though the door has disappeared, so he can't see it. You tell him you can prove that you could fly, by jumping of a cliff, needless to say, we fail horribly.
Ruy112
Partisan
Partisan

Number of posts : 1623

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 3mptylord on Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:00 pm

Great job again, Jeeves! It's really a shame that we said only one relic per creature... the lions armour and the dragon's weapon would be cool. Tongue

Ruy, with a good intro that might work. It just seems a little random at the moment 'cause the player seems to be doing everything without being told or asked or lead into doing it. Smile

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

3mptylord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruy112 on Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:08 am

You know what... I think someone else should write Stymphalian Bird, I won't do it justice...

EDIT: Jeeves are you writing/have you got something planned for the 3rd labour, the hind? If you haven't, please don't Smile
Ruy112
Partisan
Partisan

Number of posts : 1623

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by trixtor on Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:38 am

jeeves: it could also be refering to that poison waste place.
trixtor
Advocate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 3mptylord on Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:41 am

Yeah, I immediately thought the poison wastes. Tongue

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

3mptylord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 3mptylord on Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:29 am

Very Happy

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

3mptylord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeeves on Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:28 am

I don't know enough about the poison wastes to write about them, unfortunately...and I wasn't planning on writing another labor for a bit, Ruy.
Jeeves
Advocate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 3mptylord on Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:34 am

Hah, Ruy was getting so worried you were going to write it. Well, he thought it'd probably be amazing, but still... Wink

Also-- and nevermind. I was about to say that using the poison wastes would be risky... but, thus far, none of our challenges have permanently changed the map. Tongue

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

3mptylord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeeves on Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:36 am

Yeah, I'd try to avoid as little in-game content as possible with the labors, just so that we don't alter things too drastically.
Jeeves
Advocate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top