Mythics: Stagnant Discussion

Page 16 of 19 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mythics: Stagnant Discussion

Post by 3mptylord on Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:06 am

First topic message reminder :

I've changed the title of the thread because the apostrophe wouldn't behave.

The twelve labours, inspired by both mythology and our unofficial mascot Dark Sylvania;

Nemean lionNemyonGuantletsWritten by Jeeves.
Lernaean hydraLernosDiademWritten by Jeeves.
Cerinean hindCerinaHelm
Erymanthian boarErymontAxe-hammerWritten by Jeeves.
Augean stablesAugoHelmWritten by Trixtor.
Stymphalian birdsStympho
Creten bullCretosMace
Mares of DiomedesTrace
Shield of HippolytaHippolytaRising Sun
Cattle of GeryonGeryon
Apples of the HesperidesLadonGolden Apple
CerberusCerberusStaff/Whip

Timeline of the Mythics' Quest;
• Grandeur, the gateway to the Mythics' Guild, must be appeased. The requirements for this section are merely the skill requirements for the quest, having completed the Legends' Quest and having a certain number of quest points. The plinth that Grandeur stands on has three icons connected by rivulets. You need them all to light up.
• Through the gateway you can see the image above, basically. Only, the warrior is also a statue and facing the other way. These thirteen statues are, in effect, Hercules and the twelve labours. Accompanying them is a fourth character, imposing as a thirteenth labour - Durial, our antagonist.
• "Herclues" will introduce the labours, and what they are for. It should be noted that the labours themselves, and Herclues, are irrelevant to the quest at the moment. Players can complete them now or later. It should also be noted that Hercules does not mention Durial, our 13th Labour. Trying to make him stick out.
• Each labour would be based on the labours from Greek Mythology. This is the guild of Mythics after all, and Greek wouldn't be the only source when we finally have access to the guild. "Completing a labour" involves retrieving a lost relic that has been hidden in your time. These tasks take place in both RuneScape, and bespoke instances.
• Durial requires three items; the Blades of Eleyon, the Cloak of Shadows and the Potion of Vulnerability. Each item will require utmost knowledge of RuneScape, as no requirements are officially given. This quest may seem long - but the labours aren't required at this point.
• After obtaining all three items for Durial he will exit the guild - returning to his own time. In the same cinematic, future-you will arrive; panting hysterically and cursing that he took too long (mentioning something about other future-yous and how he failed to improve... which you will also say).
• Future-you, though you don't know it yet, will tell you what you need to do next; which of the three labours you should complete. You require the Rising Sun, the Hydra's Diadem, and something defensive to counter the Blades of Eleyon. Future-you will also tell you what Durial's true intentions are.
• After having obtained these, your next mission is to activate the Chronarch's Throne, an altar capable of reversing the flow of time within the guild. *insert more on this segment*.
• Successfully rewinding time, you most exit the guild into the past and locate Durial. The fight will be epic... think Nomad, just harder (or perhaps not, Dark's still killing himself trying to kill Nomad). During this fight Durial will accuse you of being Guthix, among other interesting foods-of-thought.
• Return to the guild and fast-forward to the present. On your way to Grandeur, to speak with your future-self, you will notice two omens - Durial and yourself. Panicking, you run forward to try and stop yourself handing Durial the items. You will, of course, fail... and, well, you can probably see where I'm going.
• This segment is surprisingly easy, merely tell your past-you what to do.

The quest needs to end somewhere. Possibly when you exit the Guild and Grandeur's gargoyles will laugh at you, seemingly aware of you you'd just done. Or... the moment you return to the present it's quest-over, with aiding past-you merely being a required postal-script. I suppose that's the only issue with having a quest with no true questmaster.

February 14th, 2010;
Spoiler:
Passed the Flames of Lloigh-enn, is the pathway to the Guild of Mythics. By now you have already passed through Grandeur, the great archway. Durial stands blockading at the end of the guarded walkway.

Durial appears to be one of 13 statues that line the pathway to the Guild. Players may complete all or none of the 12 statues before Durial. Durial requires a potion, a blade and a cloak obtained from yet-to-be-decided locations. Three of the twelve statues will prove useful for the later part of the quest, so if you do them before Durial it will save time doing them afterwards. After having collected Durial's items, he will leave to his own time and our futureself will become the obstruction to the guild. If you haven't already done the required labours, our futureself will tell us which to do.

*insert timetravel section*
February 13th, 2010;
Spoiler:
Thus far we'd only actually come up with guildlore and items we wished to include in the quest. The actual layout for how/why the items were obtained kept changing so Jeeves and I didn't feel bad coming up with a new reasoning. The following also adds an actual guild-set requirement for entry of which there wasn't one before hand.

The Mythics' Guild refers to the entirety of the area within the guild, excluding the path. In that, not specifically a building. This comment here is purely so we have some fixed terminology.

The path between the gate and the guild exists out of sync - almost in real-time, but almost in guild-time. Aligning the path are twelve statues; twelve unique statues. These statues represent the Labours (based on Greek Mythology). All Mythics must complete the Labours in order to enter the guild. Durial stands at the end of the path, observing our progress and awaiting the time that we finish the trials and become useful to him (for until we can actually enter the guild, we can't interact with him beyond words - not good when he needs items from us). Why us? Imagine that scene in films where the main character is nearly still in the centre of focus and life is just zooming passed? That was Durial until he saw us. Something about us stuck out.

Though not accurate with the loading screen, a thirteenth statue stands in the middle of the path immediately when you enter. This statue will introduce you to the Labours. He will inform you that something has been removed from each of the statues and places in your time and it is your task to recover it - Guarding each piece is an avatar of the statue. Once you have recovered all twelve items, you move on to Durial (the thirteenth labour as far as we're concern) - "My missing pieces will require... more creativity." The Rising Sun could easily be one of the artefacts we collect in the first part.

Players should note that the centre statue does not mention a 13th. Our futureselves will replace Durial as a roadblock to the guild. What's required to traverse time is still to be decided.

Any of this could be rearranged. I proposed that each of the twelve items could be a reward - but I then thought that it might be more interesting if that was optional, something post-quest. Or is RFD a good theme? Are twelve relics too many to be a required part of the quest?
October 1st, 2009;
Spoiler:
Durial wants to stop Guthix from remodelling the world into Gielinor, which inevitably destroys all that Durial holds dear. Unknowing of the task, we aid Durial in collecting three items - believing this was the initiation to the Mythics' Guild - the blade of Eleyon, the cloak of Shadows and the Vulnerability Potion (made from the bloodyield, pure ectoplasm and an un-chosen solid that would reflect upon the mind in some way - boiled in hellfire and bathed in starlight).

Upon giving Durial these items, he exists the guild. Of course, Durial was not from our time and left the guild into the 0th Age. As there were no repercussions of our actions, it is to be assumed that was succeeded in rectifying what we've done. However, that's just the optimists way of looking at things. In the present, we haven't yet done anything. But we are not alone. During the second part of the quest wherein we must collect countermeasures to our previous toils, the main personality is our future-self - however, we don't learn this until later, either. The only decided item that we would require to collect was the Rising Sun.

After obtaining these items, we are then required to return to the past in order to fight Durial and prevent him from succeeding. To do this, we must unlock the chamber of fate that resides in the centre of the guild. The guildmasters, the wraiths, will not help you and you will only have the aid of your futureself. He instructs you that their is one additional item that you require, and one that you have held before - the Enchanted Key. To activate the key within the chamber of fate, three present-tense Mythics must stand about the plinth and will it to work - ourselves being one, we must convince the another two to help us. I think the Wise Old Man was decided as one of said Mythics, it's possible that Bob the Cat could be our second (and the hint towards this would be Robert the Strong having a chin wag with us during the quest).

Within the past, some epic fight must occur. Durial will believe us to be Guthix, having traversed time, and will fight us over that though. At one point he will claim that even if we are not Guthix now, we will become "Guthix". Success is required to further the quest, but death applies as with any quest. After defeating Durial we hear a voice echo within our head - to be speculated as Guthix.

Your quest is over. However, there is an additional segment to the quest (sort of like the wish list) where we can aid our past selves complete the quest. This is required so has to keep the flow of time in flux - as we were helped by ourselves, we must return the favour.

Last edited by 3mptylord on Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:28 am; edited 25 times in total

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
If all good things come to an end then we're living in a world where evil wins. 

If there once was love then maybe something survived. If we find a single diamond in the rough then it's worth it. Through a thousand tears if there's one drop of love then it's worth it. 
3mptylord
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 7343

View user profile http://3mptylord.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Mythics: Stagnant Discussion

Post by 3mptylord on Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:17 am

It's too hard! TT_TT

3mptylord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 3mptylord on Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:18 am

Scene 1:
(Throne room: Third.)
(Enter Callum.)
Callum: Throne's fixed, now what?
Third: What? Oh, we've got to wait for a third to operate the machine.
Callum: A third?
Third: Yeah, the machine needs three to work it or something like that.
Callum: Okay, but what am I doing?
Third: Oh yeah, you need to go to the future and obtain [blank].
Callum: O-o-okay. Is it dangerous?
Third: I'm sure you can handle it.
(Enter fourth.)
Fourth: Where are we at?
Third: He's going forward.
Fourth: And you?
Third: Back to the start.
Callum: What's are you two on about?
Third: It's really best not to think about it.
(Machine rumbles.)
(Exit Callum.)

Scene 2:
(Throne room: Fourth and Third.)
(Enter Callum.)
Callum: I've got the [blank]!
Fourth: Good job!
Third: Heh, yeah, never doubted you for a second!
Callum: What do I do now?
Third: You're staying still for this trip.
Fourth: ...whilst I'm finished! Oh, and good luck, by the way!
Third: Cheers!
Callum: Seriously, what's going on?!
(Machine rumbles.)
(Exit Third and Fourth.)

Scene 3:
Callum: (Errrr... now what)?
(Enter First.)
First: Throne's fixed, now what?
Callum: What? Oh, we've got to wait for a third to operate the machine.
First: A third?
Callum: Yeah, the machine needs three to work it or something like that.
First: Okay, but what am I doing?
Callum: Oh yeah, you need to go to the future and obtain [blank].
First: O-o-okay. Is it dangerous?
Callum: I'm sure you can handle it.
(Enter fourth.)
Fourth: Where are we at?
Callum: He's going forward.
Fourth: And you?
Callum: (How did I--he put it? Oh yeah...) "Back to the start."
First: What are you two on about?
Callum: It's really best not to think about it.
(Machine rumbles.)
(Exit First.)
Callum: What now?
Fourth: Are you ready to face Durial?
Callum: I guess...
Fourth: Okay, a third should be with us shortly...
(Enter Second).
Second: I've got the [blank]!
Fourth: Good job!
Callum: Heh, yeah, never doubted you for a second!
Second: What do I do now?
Callum: You're staying still for this trip.
Fourth: ...whilst I'm finished! Oh, and good luck, by the way!
Callum: Cheers!
Second: Seriously, what's going on?!
(Machine rumbles.)
(Exit Callum and Fourth.)

Scene 4:
(Throne room: First and Third.)
(Enter Callum.)
Callum: (Oh god...) Where are we at?
Third: He's going forward.
Callum: And you?
Third: Back to the start.
First: What are you two on about?
Third: It's really best not to think about it.
(Machine rumbles.)
(Exit First.)
Third: What now?
Callum: (Hum? Oh...) Are you ready to face Durial?
Third: I guess...
Callum: Okay, a third should be with us shortly...
(Enter Second).
Second: I've got the [blank]!
Callum: Good job! (And you're going to say "Heh, yeah, never...")
Third: Heh, yeah, never doubted you for a second!
Second: What do I do now?
Third: You're staying still for this trip.
Callum: ...whilst I'm finished! Oh, and good luck, by the way! ("Cheers")
Third: Cheers!
Callum: (Hehe, this is fun.)
Second: Seriously what's going on?!
(Machine rumbles.)
(Exit Third and Callum.)

Callum: Wait... if Durial was the bad guy, and I was the one who was setting me the quest... when does it end?

Quest Complete? (The scroll appears, but there's a question mark... dun dun dunnnn!)

There, I think that all works. Smile

Last edited by 3mptylord on Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:36 pm; edited 5 times in total

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

If there once was love then maybe something survived. If we find a single diamond in the rough then it's worth it. Through a thousand tears if there's one drop of love then it's worth it. 
3mptylord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeeves on Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:44 am

Oh my Jesus in heaven...I think we need a helpful chart with arrows and specific things about where we are at all times and what exactly is happening. Tongue Although I do sorta get it.
Jeeves
Advocate

Number of posts : 606

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 3mptylord on Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:17 pm

I didn't have the first passage numbered correctly (I think I had "third" become "second" for no reason). It's hard to correctly scene it when events don't happen in the right order for anyone other than the present version. Wink

I'm also toning it up each time I edit it... trying to correctly clue-up the version to what's going on as he goes through - for example, in Scene 3 is the first time we discover we're talking to ourselves, which is why in Scene 1 our Omen comes across more clueless than usual.

Outside the throne room we an be able to talk with our other selves, but it could get complicated with their varying degrees of completeness. Tongue

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

3mptylord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeeves on Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:51 pm

Just read it through a second time and I think I get it now! Grin
Jeeves
Advocate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 3mptylord on Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:57 pm

Haha, good! Tongue

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

3mptylord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeeves on Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:27 am

Tongue So now we just need to figure what exactly we're doing before/after each of the four occurrences.
Jeeves
Advocate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 3mptylord on Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:48 am

In deed, why should we go to the future?

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

3mptylord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeeves on Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:33 am

We're going to the future to get [X] for...defeating Durial? That's my best option. Tongue

-----------------------
Things to Defeat Durial List
-----------------------

- Weapon! Durial has the blades of Eleyon (sp?) which are those chain-blade type things, so we should have...? Something that gets through his Shadow Armor/Cloak/Whatever, which would have to be some sort of weapon of light? My thoughts are that we go forward to a time where the sun is in danger of exploding! Grin Basic premise, but if we involve a little magic and whatnot, we should come up with something. Or go even *more* forward to a point where the sun has already gone out and the light weapon would be some holy artifact.

- Defense! Shield or Armor that protects against the chain-blades...Best bet for time travel would be...to a heated war era? Armor would be fairly commonplace, and the miniquest could be heading out to a certain siege/battlefield/wherever and recover the armor from a body.

- Something to remove immortality! Could be a potion, which is probably the easiest thing to do. Back in time to the God Wars? Maybe we could meet up with some ancient Apothecary who was attempting to brew a secret weapon that would destroy the gods themselves.

- And finally...some sort of object to help *us* out! I'm thinking a spell that gets cast on us, which we might be able to get simply from our own time.

Yeah, this would kind of throw off the dialogue 3mpty wrote...so maybe only one of these would work?
Jeeves
Advocate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 3mptylord on Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:55 am

At the moment we have The Rising Sun shield performing your requirement of the weapon, it shines through the shadow. I chose shield because I personally hate quest weapons... I always feel they aren't doing enough. However, being a shield still adds an element of difficulty to the fight - limited to one-handed weapons.

As for the potion, at the moment it's a morality potion... It's suppose to strip Guthix of power, not empower Durial. But we need something to protect ourselves from being weakened.

We can through tine nore, I'll just have to ammend the dialogue to include additional passages.

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

3mptylord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeeves on Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:01 am

So..the Rising Sun fulfills the defense portion. And should we even have a weapon portion, then? Or just let the person choose whatever weapon they want?

So we need a protection potion/spell/whatever. And I think one more thing would work nicely. Tongue I like four.
Jeeves
Advocate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 3mptylord on Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:08 am

But that would make it three?

Rising Sun to the Shadow Cloak
Protection to the Mortality Potion
Somethibg for us to Durial's weapon of choice

Perhaps time travel could be used throughout? Even during the Durial phase... Or maybe three Mythics? We obtain the mortality potion from one of Heracles' labours, and then two other Mythics for the other two... Perhaps the Blades of Eleyon from Durial's own statue?

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

3mptylord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeeves on Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:40 am

Durial has a statue? And were the Blades of Eleyon for us or for Durial?
Jeeves
Advocate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 3mptylord on Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:14 am

Well when I explained all the shiz on the previous page about why there are statues, and we were discussing how the wraiths collect mythics, I said that the relics were a means of preserving the true myths. If Durial is a mythic, he would have relics to preserve his story?

Last edited by 3mptylord on Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

3mptylord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeeves on Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:25 am

Hm...so something we might have to find in the Collector's Gallery of the Guild? That could make for a creepy little side mission. Tongue
Jeeves
Advocate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 3mptylord on Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:30 am

Well, we should be able to complete all of Heracles' labours... as well as any required for the quest. Smile

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

3mptylord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeeves on Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:32 am

So the first twelve labors are all out front for some reason...but could there be some gallery somewhere where there's just scores of other questy type things to be done?
Jeeves
Advocate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 3mptylord on Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:41 am

Mhmm Grin

I started drawing a map, but that didn't go down to well... Tongue

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

3mptylord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeeves on Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:48 am

I like the idea of making the Guild kinda creepy. :p All sorts of corridors leading off to who-knows-what dimensions of unused time and space!
Jeeves
Advocate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 3mptylord on Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:03 am

Would rock! Grin

A good quest should provide decent content afterwards. The Mythics' Guild has potential! Wink

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

3mptylord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeeves on Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:28 pm

Hmm...some potential stuff that people would actually go back for:

- Collector's Gallery: In the darkest depths of the Guild, the Wraiths have placed relics of the greatest Mythics to pass through those hallowed gates. Some have come and gone, others have come and chosen to stay; their likenesses are preserved forever for when the time that time forgot itself ends. Each relic contains the deeds of the hero, written out for all to see. Should any passing Mythic spy these deeds and try, perhaps to copy the actions of the legend...there just might be a reward from the heroic spirit.

- Temporal Rift: After attempting to replace the Chronarch's Throne and failing miserably, our hero forever distorted the timeline in the Guild's subbasement. Now, whenever an unfortunate Mythic ventures down there to take a peek, they are whisked away to a moment in their past! They are unable to return to the present until whatever memory they are in has been "completed." Basically, it's a way to see old quest cutscenes. Tongue

- The Timemonger's: Casually leaning against a crumbling pillar on the far side of the Guild's foyer, the Timemonger peddles his wares. For decades he has come and gone from the Guild, slowly stockpiling wares for when the tenth revolution comes and all are finally trapped inside. He has collected the finest goods from the past, present, and future into one handy location and is prepared to sell them...for the right price.

More to come, hopefully!
Jeeves
Advocate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 3mptylord on Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:24 pm

All nice. I'm not sure the Mythics' Guild, whilst it has a good reason to, is the best means to implement cutscene playback... it's hardly going to be something your average player (you know, the people who asked for it) is going to be able to use. Tongue

The Timemonger passage gave me something to give about... should trading between times be possible? Or have all the mythics been good enough not to do the classic tanks-in-the-medieval technique. Wink

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

3mptylord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeeves on Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:21 pm

True about the cutscene playback...Eh, I'll think of something. Tongue And as long as the items tradable throughout time aren't too...bizarre, I think it could be kind of cool!
Jeeves
Advocate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 3mptylord on Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:32 am

Shall we just write the quest from the beginning?

I can open a new thread (locked) for the output... we write pieces here, and they go there. Build it from the foundations up. Smile

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

3mptylord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeeves on Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:41 am

I can't see any reason to put it off! Tongue Not while we've got enthusiasm and people willing to work.
Jeeves
Advocate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 3mptylord on Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:16 am

Grin

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

3mptylord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 19 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top