The Suggestion Site
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Random spirits...

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Random spirits... Empty Re: Random spirits...

Post by MorbiusMonster Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:38 am

I know what would be fun. Being able to tame a Youkai and have it follow you around as a pet.
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Number of posts : 2641

Back to top Go down

Post by Zectiox Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:04 am

MorbiusMonster wrote:I know what would be fun. Being able to tame a Youkai and have it follow you around as a pet.

just make a concept art.

name some ingrediance or "souls" Tongue and then.. let us play! Win
Zectiox
Zectiox
Advocate

Number of posts : 743

Back to top Go down

Post by MorbiusMonster Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:11 am

I take it that you are familiar with what a Youkai is?
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by Zectiox Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:20 am

googled it Tongue
Zectiox
Zectiox
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by MorbiusMonster Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:46 pm

Some good ideas here.
Youkai or the female equivalent, Langsuir
Dila
Chochin Obake
Tsukumogami
Jibakurei

Take your pick, I can look up some more interesting things.
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Random spirits... Empty Random spirits...

Post by MorbiusMonster Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:37 am

How about some of these?

The Rukh
The Impundulu
The Ryujin
The Amphitere

If you don't want them, I'll take them.
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruy112 Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:05 am

Soo... Basically a folklore version of Summoning/Zoanthropy? (I think both would work, the idea of merging with one is quite interesting)

Would it just work as normal summoning, or would you give it a new game mechanic?

Also, I like the idea, but I'm torn between it being just some more summoning familiars, and it having a new game mechanic/way of obtaining.

Also, why limit it to only japanese folklore?
Ruy112
Ruy112
Partisan
Partisan

Number of posts : 1623

Back to top Go down

Post by MorbiusMonster Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:18 am

Because Japanese mythology is much more diverse.
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:33 am

It's not really more diverse, it's just a different theology. Where we have gods, they have spirits. So in terms of a summoning skill, oriental/far east is probably the best choice. Grin
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 7344

http://3mptylord.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MorbiusMonster Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:55 am

Not to mention a whole new level of zealousness in primitive western religion in which all creatures aside from humans and domestic animals were considered beasts of the Devil.
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by Zectiox Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:01 am

so... what happend? did we change thread Tongue or did we just make a brand new skill or improvment?? Tongue
Zectiox
Zectiox
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by Zectiox Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:15 am

*Spiritism? Tongue idk how that would work really..
Zectiox
Zectiox
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by Blaze FF8 Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:41 am

Eastern-orientated content would be nice. It'd be a majorly fresh idea as far as RS is concerned.
Blaze FF8
Blaze FF8
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Number of posts : 496

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:50 am

MorbiusMonster wrote:Not to mention a whole new level of zealousness in primitive western religion in which all creatures aside from humans and domestic animals were considered beasts of the Devil.

Because that's clearly just a spiteful comment that has no factual grounds at all. I didn't really mean my comment to mean Christianity exclusively. We have the Egypt, Greece, Norse, etc. All I was really saying is that to say the Orients is more diverse is just bull.

Also, congratz; I can't honestly say I wouldn't have foreseen how wolves could have been brought into that. Confuse

I split the thread because it had nothing to do with Zoanthropy.

Eastern content would be amazing. And whilst I think it's been officially confirmed, they have stated nothing is planned. Sad
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zectiox Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:59 am

We need to design this Eastern content more.
Zectiox
Zectiox
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:01 am

On my map it's south-eastern. Wink
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zectiox Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:03 am

its south-eastern anyway Tongue.. southeast(ern).. ? Tongue
Zectiox
Zectiox
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by Zectiox Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:03 am

hey, are we talking india here or Asia? o_O
Zectiox
Zectiox
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:38 am

India is Asia... Tongue

Oriental/Far East Asia is normally what people picture in the Eastern Lands. However, there should also be a middle eastern style culture. And by that I mean, not to be prejudice, Hindu-based rather than Islamic-based. Also, Russian-style culture would be awesome... since that's kinda in Asia. Wink
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zectiox Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:07 am

with asia i meant japan and china but yes, russian, india, islamic, hindu.. anything!! Shock Grin Win
Zectiox
Zectiox
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:02 am

I meant Japan too, I just meant other cultures should include Russian and Hindu. Wink
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zectiox Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:09 am

yeah, now we need to find interesting facts that could be included into a eastern expansion to Runescape..
to give developers a thought of what could be into this (incl. your map 3mpty..)
Zectiox
Zectiox
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Random spirits... Empty If anything...

Post by MorbiusMonster Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:06 am

Now, the use of creatures from mythology would be inventive, but I can only see it backfiring. For instance, the use of lesser-known creatures from other cultures besides our own isn't really inventive, a need for improvisation is necessary.

The more original ideas come from using individual ideas, basically creatures that no one has written down anywhere else. The werewolves, though repetitious throughout our paranormality obsessed western culture and seemingly unoriginal, I've tried multiple ways to reinvent them, abandoning the moon myth and common established grounds that so many authors turn to. It may not be completely original, I am just trying to find something a little different.

I'd like to stress at this stage, werewolves in most fictitious mediums are predominantly human and at quarrel with the animal they "contain" within their mind, body and soul.
I reinvent this, by having werewolves that are more wolven in their origin. They can shift freely, but the second heart is required (the second heart has very little in fact to do with the cardiactric system. It is a small gland that releases increased doses of hormones such as adrenaline, insulin and glucagon and feature secondary SAN and AVN nodes to compensate with mass metabolic shift resultant from shifting, where the primary SAN and AVN may not adapt fast enough.), and moonstone only is used a building material and as a symbol of culture more so than a neccesity for remaining in wolf form. It is more of a reminder to make them feel closer to home. It aids little in shifting or maintaining form physically, its use is more psychological or emotional.

Oh and one more thing...
Werewolf should only really be used to describing something that is both man and wolf, but more human dominant (applied to werewolves in popular culture that spend most of their time as humans). It is only used to describe the Arzonusii in terms of sociology and culture, which can be likened easier to a human culture than a werewolf one.
Lycanthrope is used to describe something that is more wolven in its design, due to it meaning wolf and man. The Arzonusii are werewolf in terms of their culture and social structure (which is being described), but their biology is more lycanthrope and more predominantly wolf (though some elements alien to both species that make the whole are prevalent in their anatomy).

That's how I would reinvent a species. If anything new is to be incorporated, it has to have reference to a past, but it must be reinvented to make it slightly more original, so that it can comply with existing template literal descriptions, but have a unique charm.

Last edited by MorbiusMonster on Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:05 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : 3mpty and Ruy are just so creul.)
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:49 am

It's all well and good to reinvent of species, but there not exactly unique reinventions. I mean, yours sounds great... it's combined a good collection of lore, and you've gone into more detail on the biology behind it. But the actual concepts have all been used before... werewolves living together (both in werewolf form and human form), the ability to change freely, not fighting with the wolf inside, etc.

I'm not saying you copied them, just from a superficial perspective, it's as much copied as using the conventional werewolf... and thus the whole "shouldn't copy" is just, well, pointless to say.

But again, that's a good mixture.

RuneScaoe's vampyre could be quite unique for a vampyre race in that it's speculated they aren't of human origin (it's not humans beneath the curse).

I don't know, I'm all for "we should adapt existing folklore", but saying "no copying" just sounded hypocritical/oxymoronic.
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruy112 Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:02 am

Everything is copied nowadays, that is what writer's do, they steal from each other and use it in new ways, that they find better than the original.

And Morb, you're wolves are not that original sorry, they are werewolves mixed with parts from other places, most of it has most likely been done before somehow. You've just added the same ingredients in a new way.
Ruy112
Ruy112
Partisan
Partisan

Number of posts : 1623

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next