[P] Indigenous

Page 4 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

[P] Indigenous

Post by 3mptylord on Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:34 pm

First topic message reminder :

Indigenous
Discussion on the native species of Pallis.

Anyone got any ideas for indigenous species?

Thus far I've created two; a species of bird and the human-counterpart.

The human-counterpart, the dwallow, are--well, human-ish. They are taller than humans, their skin tones are shades of pale blues and purples, their eyes are large and their noses are flush with their face. They are pseudo-religion, in that they worship (in a respect sense, not a pray sense) a race which preceded them - known by names such as the Builders, Creators, Forerunners, etc - whose technology makes their survival possible. (When doodling, I played around with adding skin-horns/tails that grow from from just above their ears (similar to the Digimon, Veemon) - but I never completely convinced myself).

The bird, which I haven't named, fills an ecological niche provided by the waterfalls - building their nests beneath the waterfall mouths, and darting through the water to catch what ever poor morsel falls over the edge. The dwallow "fish" for these birds, by hanging bait over the edge and then reeling in the catch.

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
If all good things come to an end then we're living in a world where evil wins. 

If there once was love then maybe something survived. If we find a single diamond in the rough then it's worth it. Through a thousand tears if there's one drop of love then it's worth it. 
3mptylord
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 7343

View user profile http://3mptylord.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: [P] Indigenous

Post by Duskcurse on Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:54 pm

what I mean that they stop the war is that when a war caravan goes throught their territory they dispatch it, thus not allowing the first attack to start, do you get me now boss?

Duskcurse
Partisan
Partisan

Number of posts : 1367

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 3mptylord on Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:29 pm

If two armies converge in their territory, they aren't going to be able to do anything. Tongue

They'll just be casualties of war.

Last edited by 3mptylord on Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

If there once was love then maybe something survived. If we find a single diamond in the rough then it's worth it. Through a thousand tears if there's one drop of love then it's worth it. 
3mptylord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian on Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:21 pm

As I think me and 3mpty are in agreement here, I think we'll exercise a bit of editorial restriction and say that seems unreasonable. Reasons

1) Dwallow and Mogrul are primary races, you stepping in is like ... Liechtenstein trying to stop WWII

2) Why would the D & M go to all out war?

3) The D and M are large races, spread over half a planet, they probably aren't unified forces, they're broken up into nations, why is it so hard for people to apply this unless it's humans...
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Number of posts : 3550
Location : Within the hallowed halls of the mighty, those known only as nobles.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MorbiusMonster on Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:32 pm

What of sentient races that dwell in the other places? People of the ocean, the sky, the night, even the likes of dreams and the afterlife is said places exist on Pallis.
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Number of posts : 2637

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Duskcurse on Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:31 pm

Ok you win this time lets drop the concept of all out war let's say that they stop the more extremist groups, that will be better bosses?
Duskcurse
Partisan
Partisan

Number of posts : 1367

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 3mptylord on Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:08 am

Which extremist groups? Tongue

Neither race has any form of government, they are tribes/nations (as Dark said) with local leaders (like chiefs). The mogrul do not like dwallow territory, and have no reason to enter it/it's too cold and there's nothing there they really need. The dwallow could survive in mogrul territory, but not easily, however the mogrul do have exclusive access to the magic drills (perhaps they destroy/kill off local topology, so the forerunner made the decision only to build them on stone-y ground); thus, the dwallow have reason to enter mogrul territory, but it's a dangerous decision.

(Sea) The oceans could have merfolk, I suppose. But being with gills, and the land-dwellers without, there doesn't need be much in terms of conflict. Perhaps they could be a delicacy for mogrul, and so they dislike them?
(Sky)We have the dragons I guess, but they don't live in the sky... unless you had some ideas.
The night? Is that some request for vamipire or werewolf? Tongue
(Spirit/Afterlife) The mogrul are shamanistic, and so believe in spirits in all that. It's possible it could exist, perhaps there are entities?

I think you'd need to give ideas rather than just highlight niches, although I don't think they all need a sentient race within them.

Although, wait. I'm confusing sentient and sapient again. Sentient means "to know", and sapient "to learn", right? Or, in layman's terms. Like, sentient just means you are aware but means nothing to do with wisdom, whilst sapience is your ability to learn from mistake and judge consequence of actions before you make them? You can be sentient whilst not being sapient, and vice verse.

Speaking of werewolves... (prepare yourself for rambling)

I was thinking something like this for the mogrul (image from Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, but that's about the sum of the similarity);

Simply a fursuit. Werewolves kidnap morgul young, and are raised as wolves (not by them, as them) - werewolves aren't exclusively male, but females rarely survive initiation and the concept of mating became somewhat lost generations ago anyway. Werewolves communicate with howls, barking and other such noises; run on all fours with ease; and maul their enemy (with their peak mogrul strength). A werewolf must pass initiation by killing a wolf (or the extent/local equivalent, does't have to be a wolf), and will wear pup-fur until then. Werewolves do occasionally keep wolves.

How's that for different? Pleased (aside from the stealing the suit idea from the people who made the suit)

Mogwolves would probably be more appropriate, since were- means man. Tongue

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

3mptylord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian on Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:21 am

Dragons: A Simple Description

Dragons form hives, a hive is controlled by the queen, her "high court" and the many servitor dragons.

Classes of Dragons (as found within a given hive):
Females:
-Queen: The matriarch of the hive, she is the mother of every hive member except the Court Drakes. She dwarfs all other dragons and is flightless
-High Daughter: A daughter of the Queen who is notably larger than most other dragons, they are not queens to be but do couple off with the Court Drakes.
-Workers: They work within the hive
-Soldiers: They fight and lead groups of workers out to collect food
-Queen-to-be: A young dragon who will become a Queen.

Males:
-Court Drake: mates of the Queen.
-Drone: Male sons of the queen, eventually will leave the hive and become Court Drakes.

THE DRIVING: Every 37 years the queen and her Court (Court Drakes and High Daughters) drive the Drones and Queens-to-be out of the hive. The QTB's are now huge and flighted. They rise from the hive and do battle with each other in the skies. Beneath them the males run wild over the land. Females try and capture as many drakes as their wings can physically hold aloft (they actually wrap them around their body) and then kill any more they see in order to cripple competition.

This queen will then attempt to find an abandoned crack in which to start a hive, she and her new Court Drakes will use magic, fire, and claw to expand it downwards to the Magic Matrix. Once this has been established the drakes couple with her to give birth to a clutch of High Daughters. The Drakes stand guard over her in this time. Once the High Daughters and the drakes are born the queen begins to regularly give birth to clutches of workers and soldiers.

The High Court: The High Court in a dragon hive is the name given to the Queen, her Court Drakes, and her High Daughter. The females are larger than the other females in the hive. The entire high court is also far more magically and mentally powerful than the lower members of society.

The High court is divided into couplings of Drakes and Daughters. They mate for pleasure although the Daughters are infertile. The Drakes also mate with the queen in order to provide new members of the hive. The coupling is also advantageous in a magical sense, as the Males have better fine control of Magic than even the queen, but the Daughters have greater power.

Dragon Magic: Dragons' hives burrow down deep enough that they are saturated with magic. Specialized organs within the dragon gather the magic and store it in pockets. All dragons have one at the base of each wing, except drakes (Queens have them where the wings used to be), at the base of each lung, near the wrist, near the throat, and over the eyes. They can the use this magic when they fly out onto Pallis's surface. The wing and throat organs are used primarily for flight and fire breath, while the eyes augment senses, and the lungs provide magic for most other spells.

Hive Wars: Hives skirmish often, but sometimes they move into open war. In this case the hives will bring their full power to bear against the other hive. The objective is the killing of the queen. Upon her death the soldiers, workers, and Court Drakes will all switch allegiance. The High Daughters, drones, and Queens to be are slaughtered viciously.

When war is levelled the two hives will begin with huge skirmishes. Then when one hive seems weaker than the other, the strong Hive's high court and queen will issue forth from the hive. The Daughters Fly above as the flightless queen and her drakes move towards the new hive. They attack, and drive to the queens chamber. Usually they summarily kill the queen, although the attacking queen is sometimes killed, granting a surprise victory. The conquered hive moves to the conquering hive, and the queen produces a new clutch of High Daughters for her new Court Drakes.

Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zectiox on Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:33 am

wow nice work Dark! : )

mogruls... is these small trolls or big trolls ? or Tongue or something between? just to find the size of them.. or are there "classes" like with the dragons? "chief" as big giants and soldiers as small trolls and some bigger ones?

one thing with the Mogwolves 3mpty.. its sounds cool with those, I just need to get a image of simple "mogwolves" Tongue

what about having some sort of minotaurs? or is it to much? Minotaurs could be guardians of some sort of temple or gate or portal.. Just by dont making it to huge Tongue just some simple guards of some sort Tongue
Zectiox
Advocate

Number of posts : 743

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 3mptylord on Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:04 am

Definitely not like WoW trolls. Wink

Spoiler:

So.. orc-like? Ogre-like? Krogan-like? Tongue

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

3mptylord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zectiox on Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:11 am

the first sample was the lotr trolls and the second the wow trolls Tongue

Krogans-like is a bit hightech but still great Tongue

the second greeny one is also good..

Still I love the Orc-like and Krogan-Like, orcs for the more simple easy armored Mogrul soldiers and Krogans as the high rank and maybe leaders of the Mogruls Tongue

what about that Mogruls are the definition of the trolls, otherwise there could me MogOrcs, MogOgres, MogKrogs.. MogCynwens, (mogmoles)..
Zectiox
Advocate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 3mptylord on Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:28 am

Nah. Just morguls. Smile

Also, Krogran-style you foo' - I'm not suggesting the hightech armour. Tongue

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

3mptylord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zectiox on Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:31 am

Krogran-style then... okey make them somekind of your own Tongue krogan-orcish-style ;D
Zectiox
Advocate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zectiox on Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:31 am

why am I writing mogruls as mogruls and not morguls? ...
Zectiox
Advocate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 3mptylord on Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:35 am

Say what? Confuse

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

3mptylord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zectiox on Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:37 am

you typed them MoRGuls while I typed them as MoGRuls, and I always swap the RG to GR Tongue
Zectiox
Advocate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian on Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:48 am

Mogruls would probably be better...especially since Morgul is LOTR.
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 3mptylord on Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:06 am

Oh lol, I thought you were writing mogrul each time, even when you were telling me you weren't. Tongue

It's mogrul. Smile

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

3mptylord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MorbiusMonster on Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:32 am

Every world has Kin. They are creatures that can do almost anything when they swarm, and are almost invisible to the naked eye. They hide in the shadows and keep things in check.
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian on Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:39 am

Hm...care to elaborate at all? I mean doing so would mean putting that idea intot he hands of others who might help sculpt it
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MorbiusMonster on Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:02 am

The Kin are a swarm creature, living in clusters of thousands at any one time. Unaggressive most of the time, but then again things do tend to go missing in the shadows.
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 3mptylord on Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:43 am

Okay, umm...

*throws out some rambling*

The mogrul live in carved mountains, boulders, caves, making use of animal hide for doors, and such. They live by a set of rites, as decided by their forefathers. They exist in tribes and utilise a very tribalistic government; with a chief, high-shaman (who is usually the oldest male) and general. The tribes themselves are also ranking against each other by age, or combat strength - with the oldest tribe having absolute, and new tribes having little-to-no final say.

The dwallow live in bricks and timber, refined resources that are otherwise identical to the mogrul. They live in much less dense populations, preferring small towns and villages to larger cities - however, some large cities exist. The dwallow have developed farming to a great extent, and live off the land. I don't really know what dwallish government should be like; perhaps city-state?

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

3mptylord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 3mptylord on Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:47 am

Neither race has the human desire to take territory they don't necessarily need, just to have it. The land is still very much scarce of civilization, and the two territories are split primarily due to geographical conditions - since neither race have been known to exist in each other's preferred habitat.

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

3mptylord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zectiox on Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:30 am

thats awesome 3mpty. I really like it, Mogruls living in caves, simple.. tribes

Dwallows lives in houses of bricks and timber. Agriculture... and somekind of cities..

what is the name of the cities, towns, villages, tribes?

http://www.native-languages.org/original.htm list of original indian tribe names,

Galor
Spoiler:
Galor: The Dwallow Agriculture town. The town isn't that large, but has the basic structures for a typical little town. A home for many Dwallowians who gets here to trade their crops, lumber and other products to wandering caravans. Galor has a wooden palisade wall around itself and 3 wooden gates, at the south, the north and the west. At the beginning the road was simple clay but through trade they manage to get brick/stone road that increased Galor's reputation amongst the towns and villages in Pallis, for its increased speed of transportation and decoration.

Inside Galor theres some houses but much of the peasants that counts to the Galor inhabitance lives outside Galor along the roads. The houses inside Galor is made of Bricks as the walls, and with wood and straw as roof, here the people are living on trade and small jobs. Outside Galor much of the houses are simple made of timber and straw, here the people live on agriculture and brings their goods to Galor to sell them for other goods to the own family

The Marketplace: The center of Galor, farmers and merchants are coming here to trade to the people and to each other for goods of their own. Sometimes the peasants will bring a party here to everyone in Galor. is located in the center of Galor.

The Serpent's Lodge: the little inn where people can settle down for the night, take a beer or just gather with friends. The inn is located near the Marketplace in Galor

Galor's Mill: The mill has a major task in Galor, the Dwallowians brings their wheats to the mill to get flour for bread. The Mill is located southwest of Galors wooden Gate.

Town storage and General Store: the main building in Galor, where the farmers can store their goods, is located near the marketplace. The General store is the building next door, here peasants can buy tools.

Galor Guard house: the Guard house is for the guards of Galor, they protect the peasants and the merchants from surrounding monsters and small raids. there is two Guard houses in Galor, one at the northern gate and one at the southern gate.

heh, this is only a suggestion to how it could be like, I really liked writing this, hope you like it So Much Win

Win
Zectiox
Advocate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zectiox on Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:46 am

3mptylord wrote:
The bird, which I haven't named, fills an ecological niche provided by the waterfalls - building their nests beneath the waterfall mouths, and darting through the water to catch what ever poor morsel falls over the edge. The dwallow "fish" for these birds, by hanging bait over the edge and then reeling in the catch.

idk but what if those birds could look like something as this?
Spoiler:

and... hmm.. this as the forerunners or some other creepy spiritucal races Tongue
Spoiler:

;D
Zectiox
Advocate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 3mptylord on Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:27 pm

I like the idea of having a piece of fabric around their face, just billowing in the wind. Smile

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

3mptylord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zectiox on Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:52 pm

I just stumbled around the net, and I found it : ).. somekind of fabric around their face, just to hide their faces..
Zectiox
Advocate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top