The Suggestion Site
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[P] Atlas of Pallis

+3
Dragon78114
The Empty Lord
Zectiox
7 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

[P] Atlas of Pallis - Page 5 Empty [P] Atlas of Pallis

Post by Zectiox Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:37 pm

First topic message reminder :

well my idea was to get a thread of everything we got so far over Toba and Caldorin (pallis). not the inhabitants but the locations. The forests, the mountains everything..

Dark Avorian wrote something in the Geography thread about the brinks, sunken sea etc. Is that the final name of the location or just the name of the fenomenal.. we got 2-3 sunken sea areas in Toba. Is this just named Northern, Southern and Eastern Sunken Sea. Or shall we have names of the places there too even if its now the sunken sea. i.e. Achurn (as the name of the Northern Sunken Sea?)

We got 3 mountains. Dark Avorian named one of them where the Diminors are living.

Well just come with suggestions of names of these locations. take the map which Empty created in the geography thread on page 6.

Take one position:
Spoiler:
Name it, take a good name for it also Tongue

Im just trying to make it easier to locate one thing or another on the map of Pallis. Instead of having "Northern mountains of Toba" etc. Tongue

(I have done this thread once before, but firefox crashed so lost everything -.-)
Zectiox
Zectiox
Advocate

Number of posts : 743

Back to top Go down

[P] Atlas of Pallis - Page 5 Empty Re: [P] Atlas of Pallis

Post by Dragon78114 Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:27 pm

I mean Morb, to me your idea isn't too morbid, but for Runescape's target audience of middle schoolers (12-14 yr olds) and for the game's general atmosphere it might be a little too graphic. (Now if this game was for a much older audience, maybe but it still is a little strange).

Now 3mpty, perhaps this magic corrupted place could be underground like in D Age where the Deep Roads connected with the underworld. However in this case the series of underground tunnels span Pallis's entirety and have magic veins leach out from the ground in random areas. It would seem odd to have a magic supply leak out of one place.

Although, creating a dungeon system like that will cause the game to fall into the stereotypical RPG where there exists a long forgotten race in a massive tunnel system.

Maybe instead of a cave system, perhaps it could be a city securely guarded where this race secrely harvests the magic and uses it for its own greedy possession (potential plot there).

Dragon78114
Partisan
Partisan

Number of posts : 1668

Back to top Go down

Post by MorbiusMonster Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:48 pm

So we have a location, perhaps a quarry, a mining pit or an excavation site, defiled by dark magic. As a result, the tools are animate and even some of the bones of injured workmen or remnants of a civilization that was buried beneath the rock have become reanimated, protecting the site from intruders.

The magical influence naturally seeks to spread itself, so patrols the site vigorously and remove all technology that comes within the area. But since the fallen creatures cannot hope to survive without their magical aura, they are stunted by the limits of the field.
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Number of posts : 2641

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:16 pm

You could argue that the meltdown of the refinery could have spanned as a sphere, including into the ground. Although I'm not sure that the entirety of the effects should be contained beneath the ground.

The skrid are a the husk-remains of a sentient race that once dwelled within the afflicted area. I say remains, there exists a bastion of their kind in a safehold although they too have fallen from what could be considered intelligent.

There should be a race that uses the magic almost exclusively. Beneath the cloud sea, there are the hobgoblins who are consumed by a hunger for arcane energy. Once goblins, unlike them they did not believe magic to be a right to only those of God, and sought to use it themselves. Their greed and lust corrupted their form as well as their minds, but they are formidable. I have not yet imagined another magic-lusting race for Pallis. Up to now, Pallis isn't so much spells but more magic-punk (steampunk, only magicy). The mogrul possess the closest thing to lower world magic.

Something I've not yet thought upon. Would the dwallow, or any of Pallis' races, be able to use magic should they go to the lower world?

Crin, my dwallow "signature hero", is currently a nimble fighter and generally the loveable, loyal, uncorruptable sidekick with a cheeky grin and the desire for mischief so long as it doesn't hurt anyone. Would he be able to perform spells? His race have never known free magic.

I haven't played Dragonage, so I couldn't comment.
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 7344

http://3mptylord.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MorbiusMonster Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:12 pm

Oh, so Pallis has stuff like this?

[P] Atlas of Pallis - Page 5 290px-Drill-Sergeant_03

How about the Sol? Do you still want them?
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:39 am

Not really, what even is that? Confuse

And I have no opinion on the Sol for the time being.
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zectiox Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:11 pm

For me Dwallow's have to defend themselves somehow but magic, hmm, i dont know about that. For sure there could be Dwallow citizens who preform magic in secret, just to defend themselves not to hurt as of Dark magic. Or they could know how to enchant but not to cast spells?

Mogruls have shamans and therefore somekind of Magic is preformed.

It could be an idea with an underground tunnle network - Fast travling after completing surrounding quests? Even having a race living down in the underworld - (as of my Moul-kind of race, which I mentioned somewhere) - could benefith quests in dungeons, fights between races etc

Spoiler:
Zectiox
Zectiox
Advocate

Number of posts : 743

Back to top Go down

Post by MorbiusMonster Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:45 am

I was completely unaware Pallis was on the other side of RuneScape. I only just discovered it on dA.

Does that mean Mahjarrat also hang around there?
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by MorbiusMonster Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:38 am

Whilst RuneScape uses runes for magic, I assume that Pallis has had to adapt by using mana or aura as a substitute to runes?
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:52 pm

The southern races are magic-punk, if that is appropriate. Spell-magic doesn't really exist, and magic exists there as a power source (such as battery-like devices). It has been adapted into weapons, some looking similar to staffs. I say 'southern races', Dark's race (whose name always escapes me) are the ones majorly responsible for the tech and dwallow who live beyond their reach resemble more good old Lumbridge. Dwallow-thinkers will occasionally become pioneers of the engineering trade, but otherwise the dwallow are almost entirely magic-less.

The I guess you could say mana or aura, the mogrul in north call it "spirits", the mogrul use shamonistic powers. It is largely comparable to RuneScape magic is it can be used offensively, defensively, for utility, medicine, etc.
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MorbiusMonster Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:13 pm

I take it some species can't use it?

From a manga I saw online, there were three predominant species that could use magic. One drew their energy from the earth, and dark magic killed the nearby landscape and created demons. The second drew it from mana crystals and their dark magic sapped at their own life. The third could use magic but even short uses of it caused them to suffer brain damage (one specimen was taught simple spells but soon couldn't strand together simple sentences and couldn't think for herself, whilst another became paranoid).

Will there be something like this, where the magical energy derives from different sources and some species cannot use it?
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:28 pm

The matrix that powers RuneScape is too deep beneath the crust to effect Pallis, thus they are barren of RuneScape's luxuries. Something I just wondered, should runes still work on Pallis? Of a player travels to Pallis would their magic be useless? I know teleportation connects directly to the matrix, but do all spells?

Anyway, the mogrul on Pallis have innate magic (similar to goblins and hobbs). Most mogruls don't use it day by day, and their tribal hierarchy limits it's uses to certain traded. They believe their power comes from the spirits.

Those who cannot innately use magic use tech, which is fuelled by magic. I guess this is akin to mana crystals. The magic is extracted from the Earth by very industrial means (drill-like devices), and raw magic is like radiation to most upon Pallis. The skrid are a race whom existed too close to a drill that went into meltdown. The drill devices also refine the magic (the distinction between a fuel and electricity), and so essentially creates runes.
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:17 pm

The Diminor are basically the caretakers of a fragile and somewhat crumbling infrastructure in Pallis. The infrastructure concentrates and channels clouds pulled up and over the cliffs of Pallis by tidal effects. Coming from the lower world, they have a lot of residual magic.
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Number of posts : 3550
Location : Within the hallowed halls of the mighty, those known only as nobles.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:32 am

Ah yes, that too. The ground isn't the only source of magic on Pallis; the Cloud Sea is also a resource. This isn't as encompassing however, as saturation of magic within the cloud relies entirely on lower world activities.
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Amascut Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:34 am

Well, specifically, for teleportation, it's less of a matrix, and more of the Abyssal Realms. In the Pallis realm I don't see why the Abyssal Realms wouldn't be available, as they're actually the space between the worlds. When teleporting, you open a hole through part of the Abyssal Realm, and another someone else to get you to where you want. It's just dangerous to be the first to set up that teleport, because you don't know where a hole two inches away from your initial hole could take you.
Amascut
Amascut
Proselyte

Number of posts : 158

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198044428364

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:38 am

I thought the Abyssal Realms was a different system. *shrugs* I'm remembering back to the day where teleports would fail and you'd be held up in a metaphorical traffic jam in the metaphorical highway. XD
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Amascut Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:41 am

Well, the whole Abyssal thing basically is referred to with the Random Event where you end up in that tiny Abyssal Room. From there Jagex built some lore where basically it was set up two points in the Abyss, and with the right set of runes, you can throw yourself through the first hole and out the second without ever touching down in the dangerous Abyssal Realms. There's almost an infinite number of them, as they exist between the spaces of things, which is why I'd think Pallis would have them too, unless you can design a fun reason to be rid of 'em.
Amascut
Amascut
Proselyte

Number of posts : 158

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198044428364

Back to top Go down

Post by MorbiusMonster Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:48 am

Just had a funny dream, but it's allowed me to come up with an interesting idea for a place in Pallis.

An urban population, bustling and busy, but such that it has become worryingly polluted. On one half of the city, the water treatment centre and chemical firm has enormous trapezoidal structures with green liquid cascading down through transparent pipes, with black stonework forming the structures and causeways. The chemical firm was staffed by unknown numbers of people in special biosuits who operated in adjoining open plan labs. The entire complex was overseen by a presence called the announcer; she was someone you wouldn't want to displease, but she still appreciated you wishing her a good day.

The other side was a city, urbanised and busy, with large towers, but thanks to a pink/red cloud belt, the ground was not visible. Because of the heat currents, strong winds and large open spaces in the sky, one of the best means of getting around was by attaching and inflatable gas bag onto your back and flying around on the air, it's a remarkably quick means of going anywhere, even flying from the cloud belt and around the chemical fountains. So we have the personal zepplin transport.

Any ideas what we can do with this?
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon78114 Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:32 am

um... good, but I don't think this fits well with Pallis. Maybe for another game.
Dragon78114
Dragon78114
Partisan
Partisan

Number of posts : 1668

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5