Handeath has left Runescape

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Handeath has left Runescape

Post by Handeath on Sat May 19, 2012 2:18 pm

Note that I quit RS a long time ago due to finding more fun games and losing interest, but I still will be around the website for some time. With that, this is the thread I will post on RSOF some time in June.

Spoiler:
This is more than a “I QUIT” thread. I’m going to talk about why I’m quitting, some suggestions that would make me stay, and a word to Jagex and Players. That having been said, this thread is going to the General Forum because it covers a variety of topics. Secondly, while I hate “tl;dr,” this thread isn’t about getting as much support as possible: I just want discussion. There will be some very radical ideas in here, you can read one and talk about it or read and debate them all. Lastly, I’m going to try to talk to everyone who posts, so if you want to say anything, feel free to do so.

INTRODUCTION:
Well, here I am. This day can sooner than I expected, but looking back, I could have seen it coming. I beat Runescape. I’m not quitting, that suggests that I’m leaving things undone, which I sort of have. While many would vent their frustrations about the game at Jagex, I’ve always been a creator at heart, so I’ll keep my reasons for leaving in one post:

- I realized I don’t like grinding, which is necessary to advance in the Runescape.
- Although I can put up with it, I don’t have the time anymore.
- The fun elements of this game (socializing, combat, etc.) get boring really quickly.

Now that I have that off my chest, I can put my heart into my final thread. Read what you want, I’m going to be making crazy suggestions and changes; so find one and start talking!

TABLE OF CONTENTS:
Key: Topic – (Page Number, Post Number - Page Number, Post Number)
Introduction and Table of Contents – (1, 2)
Skilling & Content – (1, 3)
Stylish Combat – (2, 9 – 3, 3)
Relationships: To Jagex – (2, 9 – 3, 3)
Relationships: To Players – (2, 9 – 3, 3)
“Fun” – (1, 5 – 2, 2)
TL; DR – (2, 9 – 3, 3)

SKILLING & CONTENT:
Ah, skilling. The biggest reason why I’m quitting Runescape. It’s just a matter of how much time you’re willing to put into doing a repetitive task before punching out. No wonder there are bots in this game, and many MMOs in general: it’s time-consuming and boring. As Jagex slowly increased the rate one could gain Xp with Sacred Clay and Livid Farming, we cried out saying the ‘fun’ was being sucked out of the game. In my opinion, we should really be mad at the second half of our rant: the fun came from the achievement, and they took that ‘away.’

I’m not saying that you should only have to grind for 10 minutes to go up a level: I could get 99s in an afternoon! What I am saying is that we need more varied ways to train: grinding, skilling, and open-ended. These methods would take a lot of time to implement, but they would greatly benefit the game in the long run. When people consider training methods, they just think about speed and cost. Boring! Tongue We need more choice, have us pick between leisurely fishing at a pond, or a tense microgame to catch the craftiest creatures, or even sailing on the open sea to reel in a real beauty!

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t hate grinding: it’s a way to level up while socializing: it should be causual, otherwise it becomes time-consuming. My second suggested method, skilling, is named because it requires some form of focus; Jagex has implemented something like this in Charm Sprite Hunting and D&Ds in general. This can be done with ‘Flash-game’-esque microgames: certain minigames that are simple enough to be specific to one skill, yet fun, but complex enough to pose something of a challenge. Such training should be provide less profit, but more Xp for such intensive work.

The final method is so grand it needs its own paragraph! Open-ending training can be compared to Doodle God: the fun and Xp comes from trying to do something different every time. This will take a lot of time to implement, due to all the possible outcomes, but this would be the most rewarding item and Xp-wise. We could discover new products that give unforeseen effects…but repeatedly making the same item would give less Xp, thus providing more incentive to get creative.

Unfortunately, only Artisan (eg Smithing) and Gathering (Runecrafting) skills could logically have both of these new training methods, but all skills can have both. A 2D fighter to train Combat Skills would be a more interesting way to train. Making experimental potions from any and all ingredients found across Gielinor (including the Poison Waste Meow) would bring a new sense of adventure into the game.

Now that I’ve covered how we level up, I’m going to talk about why. Most of the reasoning is simple: there’s a quest, there’s a shortcut, there’s a weapon. However, those goals are just…goals. There’s usually only one reason to level up a skill, not really a succession of them. The only exception is combat, and you level that up because it is a constant improvement with many smaller goals interspaced throughout this progression.

This was the case with all Artisan (and through them, Gathering) skills, but as the game evolved, as did dropped equipment. When was the last time you used a piece of gear you made? Why? My guess is that you made some welfare gear so that you wouldn’t have to spend time on killing for that equipment or buying it. Moreover, look at the requirements for making gear as opposed to making it: I hate to use a common example, but Level 99 Smithing to wear a Level 40 Defense Rune Platebody?! Shock Crafting doesn’t have it much better, a Level 70 Ranged (40 Defence >.>) Black D’Hide Body might require Level 84 Crafting to make, but the difference in Xp is a whopping 2.2 million points.

The solution to this gap in Skills and Content is actually quite simple. The skills used to make a piece of equipment of a certain level should all be that same level. Moreover, there should be a tier of equipment every few levels to about Level 90. (Calm down, I’m building up to that. Tongue) For example, Level 70 Platelegs should be smithed at about Level 70 from ore mined at about Level 70. Ranged would get new monsters to drop better hides. (Strykewyrms could work. Or even Manticores!)

These new chains fully demonstrate Runescape’s ‘Skill Trees,’ skills that are intertwined, ultimately leading into the combat classes: Melee, Ranged, and Magic. However, some skills, particularly Artisan skills, appear in different trees, e.g. you use Smithing to Fletch bolts to be shot with Ranged. This doesn’t need to be changed, but it should be avoided for the sake of consistency.

That having been said, Magic has its tree sawed in half! You could even say there’s only a third! o_O You can’t make Magic weapons very well, and the system for doing so is very convoluted: you can make only Level 30 Battlestaffs with Level 54 – 66 Crafting, and you have to pay Thormac to go up another tier. You can only have Splitbark made FOR you, not by you, which is significantly worse and harder to obtain than Mystic anyway. This can be solved by using Crafting and Farming/Woodcutting as Magic’s Artisan and Gathering skills, or by introducing another Artisan skill that can use Runcrafting as its Gathering (Conjuring?) and make all the equipment mages need.

I’ve talked about Combat so much that I almost forgot about the Support Skills (Firemaking, Agility, Construction, Dungeoneering, and Theiving)! Grin These skills don’t belong to any tree, which is what makes them so great. They should provide a wide variety of conveniences (Agility comes to mind with Theiving as a close second) so there should be more, not necessarily new, rewards for leveling them up: more and higher level Theiving targets when we need that gold or some shiny item. Having little shacks away from home for those supplies we need. More shortcuts! MOAR RESOURCE DUNGEONS! XD

STYLISH COMBAT:
*ahem* Sorry about that outburst. Tongue But recall the beginning of the previous paragraph: “I’ve talked about Combat so much…” This isn’t surprising considering how heavily the game features it. Why do you level up? To do quests which give you combat rewards. Why make money? To get better gear. Yes, skilling and questing should be enjoyable in and of themselves (more on that in a second. Tongue), but you see my point.

(This was written before I know about the upcoming combat revamp, but, given what I know about it thus far, I think the following section is relevant.)
Now consider what combat really is. Runescape is a Real Time RPG, but the primary element of combat in an RPG is…lacking. Look at any Warrior. Now a Mage. Now a Ranger. Notice any similarities? They all use the same gear, and probably the same boosts and tactics: the best ones. There’s your problem, there is a best. All PvPers use the best Prayers, the best weapons, the best potions, and the best familiars. A combat system like this one should rely on a diverse selection of items and playstyles, but it would be complex. I’ll start with the harshest change. Grin

This idea would definitely be the most controversial one ever. (More so than Constitution, considering it would actually CHANGE gameplay. Angry) I propose we split Defence into Defence and Evasion, split Ranged into Archery and Marksmanship, and Magic into Sorcery, Mana, and Wizardry. Before you start screaming, let me explain these ‘new’ skills, what they do, why I made these splits, and how they could be done:

Defence now works with one’s Absorption Stats, passively reducing the amount of damage one takes. Evasion works like Defence, working with one’s Defence (now Dodge) Stats to reduce the chance of taking damage. Archery simply increases one’s accuracy while using a Ranged weapon (like Attack), while Marksmanship increases one’s max hit and gives you the ability to use higher leveled Ranged weapons (similar to Strength). Sorcery and Mana work exactly like Attack and Strength respectively, the former increases your accuracy and gives you access to higher leveled Magic weapons and COMBAT spells, the latter increases your max hit using Magic. (Furthermore, when your Sorcery Level is changed, you should remain able to cast spells of your normal level, only your accuracy should change. Angry) Wizardry is non-combat magic, it gives one access to higher leveled non-combat spells. If you’re wondering about “Magic Defence,” it should be removed or elaborated upon: either add “Ranged Defence” and “Melee Defence” or remove “Magic Defence.” (Having them all makes sense, your understanding of a combat style – the accuracy skill - allows you defend yourself better from it.)

Now that we understand what these all mean, let me explain why I did this. Melee can choose to prioritize damage over accuracy, making combat somewhat varied, while the other two combat classes can’t. Defence was split for similar reasons; you can now choose to prioritize. Spliting Wizardry seems to come out of nowhere, but think about how you trained Magic and what for. If you Hi-Alched your way to Ice Barraging noobs, you better Hi-Alch your face, cuz I’m gonna go and punch it. No other combat class can train without combat, why should Magic get this treatment? Moreover, pures (hey, they play too) can’t train a non-combat skill because it interferes with their priorities.

We can have also make sub-skills, which are invisible, but add even more fine-tuning to combat. Critical Hits which deal like 50% more damage, but only happen by chance, which can be increased. Aggro, which determines which NPCs target you. Counterstrike, which gives you a chance of returning a part of the damage you deal (yes, like Vengeance). Burn, which deals damage every few actions. Of course, these new buffs and debuffs should able to be seen easily, like in the Combat Panel! (On a side note, I think Attack Speed should be officially called Tempo or Pace, for elegance’s sake.)

“WAIT, YOU’RE RUINING THE SYSTEM-” Think of the benefits these divisions provide, you have to think when training, especially if you’re training yourself for a huge confrontation. Moreover, all combat classes scale similarly, not the same way, so we now can see how they interact a bit better. (Melee deals more damage, but is less accurate. Ranged is more accurate, but deals less damage. Magic is balanced in both ways.)

The biggest obstacle in implementing this system is existing levels. One way is to give players the choice upon log-in to divide up their levels how they see fit (presumably by increasing the level in the split-skill by a certain percent, and then having the player distribute them among the ‘new’ skills). Another is automatically adjusting the player’s stats to be just as effective before the change.

Now that we have Combat Skills out of the way, let’s go onto Food and Potions, the next biggest part of the ‘meta-game.’ As I said earlier, players will just take the best: Super/Extreme Sets and be done with it. However, let’s go back to this idea of prioritizing. What if when you used a potion, all of your combat skills but the boosted one would decrease, thus players would have to specialize in the best skill for the occasion.

Food should also receive a change from “GET ROCKTAILS AND SARA BREWS” mentality: food obtained through different skills (Fishing, Hunter, and Farming) could heal in different ways: Fished Food could provide medium healing, but in a single dose. Hunted Food could provide the most health, but over the course of several bites. Farmed Food could heal for the least, but provide small, but noticeable, skill boosts.

Alternatively, all food could provide skill boosts, but only for certain classes (Fishing for Melee, Hunter for Ranged, and Farming for Magic). Both systems, when coupled with the changes to potions, make for a much more strategic combat system.

And I’m not even done yet! (You can tell that I’ve been thinking about this for a while. Smile) Remember how I mentioned that we should be able to make gears for all tiers? This armor should be the most balanced in terms of offense and defence, but should degrade slowly to keep this armor in demand and keep the Production Skills from falling into uselessness. Equipment leaning to one side or the other should be obtained through drops, and the difference between Offence, Balance, and Defence should grow wider as the equipment becomes better. (This is to be expected, you can only do so much with 20 kinds of Steel. Tongue) Of course, as we have a wider range of gear, we should have a wider range of styles. Tank Armor for absolute defence, at the cost of dealing damage. Swift Armor for moving and dodging while in combat. Berserker Armor for dealing damage at the cost of all else. You can already imagine strategies for each.

“BUT WHAT ABOUT EXISTIN-” Calm down, Barrows already uses a similar system, Torag’s is for Defence, Dharok’s is quite clearly beserker’s gear. Tongue Think about the gear we already have. Granite makes exceptional defencive gear. Dragon could provide offence. Bandos could be berserker gear. Zarosian Equipment makes for could higher-level tank gear. Chaotic weaponry could be more offence based than normal Level 80 gear. Minigames could provide similar armor, but with unique bonuses (Castle Wars Armor increases the rate at which your skills restore, Games Room Robes could allow a player to chain spells together for powerful combos, etc.) All this bobbing and weaving of weapons and armor should stop at Level 95.

Why then? That’s the highest tier we should really go, as any higher isn’t really worth the Xp/Level. Furthermore, at this level, we should have access to the most powerful bosses that can only be fought alone, but drop specialized, but just as powerful gear. We can even have a little fun with these bosses. Grin Show me animated Saradominist armor which drops powerful Prayer equipment. Have me fight the Uzer’s greatest golem who drops armor that embodies his defencive programing. Have me fight the Vyrewatch whose blood thirst shows in his armor that lets me steal Lifepoints.

While you might now think that I would have something complex in store for weapons, I really don’t! We should add “Stab: Slash: Crush” stats to Ranged and Magic (Pierce: Splice: Impact and Focus: Psych: Banish) so all armors have specific weaknesses and strengths in relation to all classes. Melee weapons already use these stats well, but the imbalance in speed, power, and combat style cause scimitars and two-handers to be the most popular weapons. Rebalance them so the strengths and weaknesses of any weapon are very noticeable. Ranged weapons currently strongly recommend crossbows: balance them as well in speed, power (ammo gives the Marksmanship – ‘Strength’ – bonus for attacks, not necessarily the weapon itself), and combat style as well.

Magic is a little different, for the sake of interest; we should be able to make magic weapons (new Production skill? Grin), which are similar to Melee weapons, except they don’t have specials, but deal magic damage (in those new stats) without runes, just like the Polypore Staff! (They should work with Sorcery and Mana like Melee weapons: your Sorcery Level increases your chance of hitting with the weapon’s Magic Attack Bonuses, your Mana Level increases your max hit with the weapon’s Mana Bonus.)

“BUT WHAT ABOUT RU-” Well aren’t you eager, theoretical reader. Tongue Firstly, Wizardry would use a good amount of them: spells require them, and Wizardry is the use of non-combat SPELLS. Moreover, I don’t think spellbooks should go away, far from it! Spellbooks represent the idea of style perfectly: each one should have its strengths and weaknesses and have a theoretical playstyle as well. Moreover, Magic can pull off tricks that Ranged and Melee can’t! Imagine teleporting your target across the battlefield, much to his annoyance. Consider molding the battlefield against your opponent, making it a minefield or using his motions to set-off massive chain-reactions. Picture using your opponent as an instrument for combat against him or his allies, then discarding him once he has been exhausted. Can Melee do that? No. Tongue

“BUT THAT’S O-” Twice in a row. Jeez. >.> Yes, Magic may have some nifty effects, but Ranged and Melee have their roles too. Only a Meleer can tank well, a Ranger’s high attack speed, er Pace, lets him hit and run more easily. Wait, this theme sounds familiar, EACH COMBAT CLASS MEANS MORE THAN METHOD OF DAMAGE?! IMPOSSIBLE! XD

Sorry, I get emotional at goodbyes. Neutral As I was saying, the player should have a wide variety of tools to use for his/her combat style. Of course, the most common method is through Prayer. We currently have Saradomin (normal) Prayers which just invisibly boost your levels and Ancient Curses, which do that and lower opponent’s levels. What if we played with these ideas a bit more. Zamorak Prayers could weaken opponent’s (similar, yet weaker, than Ancient Curses) Bandos’ Chants could sacrifice all stats to highly boost one. Seren’s Hyms could provide auras for teammates, etc.

There should also more kinds of familiars and ranks for each, there seems to be a few popular familiars and no one else is seen. We should have familiars who heal us, share the pain with us, fight better than us, at the cost of our Constitution, you should get the idea by now.

That was a lot of suggestions, but if I had to summarize all of that: rework the combat system so that there is no best. Rather, we should have a huge choice of styles in skills, weapons, armor, food, prayers, and familiars, each with its advantages and disadvantages, and each style has a best. This would result in more thought being put into PvP and PvM combat and, thus, more fun.

RELATIONSHIPS:
Take these three quotes that I have found over the years:
“You would think that Jagex would focus on getting rid of bots when so many people ask for it, but no. Here I am again, not able to play because skilling spots are "busy."
The community also asks for revamps but Jagex keeps making dead content, which we already have tons of.”

“HOW TO SAVE RUNESCAPE:
You must protest, on runescape.com at the forums you must protest and make threads about it
you must send a message to Jagex through email about your love for rs
you must not give up
you must protest
send them letters through the postal service or USPS or what ever
HOW IT WORKS: Jagex will obviously listen to hundreds of fans fighting for Runescape on their website and their mail
COPY AND PASTE THIS MESSAGE IF YOU WILL FIGHT FOR RUNESCAPE”

“Of course, another stupid update. I signed up for Runescape because it looked fun, not so Jiggilyplex would drive it into the ground. Angry

Depressing, aren’t they? Looks like Jagex is the only company to ruin their product…WRONG! The first two comments are the top rated ones on Youtube videos for League of Legends, the winner of the Golden Joystick Award 2011, and Bionicle, two highly praised products, with the terms changed to talk about RS. The last quote was written by me. Tongue

What does this mean? First Runescape isn’t alone in its ‘suckishness:’ even the best have their doubters. Second, notice how those quotes sound like things players would say. THESE COMMENTS ARE FROM YOUTUBE. BE ASHAMED. I have a few things to say to both members of this relationship.

TO JAGEX:
Stop being concerned with marketing – While they make perfect business sense, the site has been getting less and less hits over the years, the promotions sort of get on the player’s nerves. Why stop the promotions altogether? Because all MMORPGs are becoming less popular. Remember the release of the Cataclysm expansion of WoW in 2010? Yeah. Do you remember The Burning Crusade in 2007? Probably not. The difference, the giant dragon banner on YouTube. Regardless, it’s also falling into obscurity.

What about RS? Simple: Word. Of. Mouth. This game caught on because it was causal enough for anyone to pick up and play, it was a game that could be played with friends, but the updates were good enough to provide a reason to keep playing. These recent, unnecessary promotions and the ‘poor quality’ of updates may have something to do with each other, focus on the latter.

More community events – As I mentioned earlier, and will elaborate upon later, the social aspect of Runescape, as in any MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER ONLINE rpg, is very important. Events that will bring more than 5 people together as a group of players are perfect, whether the method is through combat, fun, or just a simple costume party! Tongue

Continue to work against bots – “A thing worth having is a thing worth cheating for.” Operation ClusterFlutterer is obviously a step in the right direction, but it begins a journey of a thousand. Or something like that. Anyway, due to the goal oriented nature of the game, there are naturally always those who wish to cheat, ruining the game for themselves and others. This problem must be continually addressed.

However, there are a few options that Jagex can implement to give the players the ability get these cheaters out of the way upon reporting them.

Teleport the target to a nearby area and shift the camera to a random position. If it were a player, s/he would easily return to the previous task as if nothing happened, albeit annoyed. A bot would have its path thrown off and would be rendered hilariously ineffective. However, this would reset aggro on normal players in dangerous areas, and thus the system could be abused.

Isolate the target and lock down his camera and menus until s/he answers a captcha. This would take out a player for longer, but this wouldn’t reset aggro (it’s effectively logging the target out). A bot would be more or less permanently logged out.

Make training pleasurable. Face it. I can understand why people bot, skilling takes a lot of time! If the work that bots do is considered enjoyable, a large number of bots will simply play the game themselves. See above for ideas. Wink

Listen to players – Ah, the big one. I’m not going to bring up revamping Smithing or fixing Magic because I indirectly suggested a way how above. When I use this phrase, I mean converse with us, as a player-base, on all topics: constructive criticism, upcoming updates, lore, everything. But at the same time, I mean us player suggestions, just as a nod to the creative members of the community (who seem to make up a small percentage >.>).

There are several nice little ideas for minigames, monsters, and D&Ds that are floating around, unused. Sad Jagex could pick up such an idea once every few months, tweak it a bit, and introduce it, giving credit to the suggester. However, there are a couple of ideas that are so incredible that they have to be made, with the writer’s input: skills, quest series, new lands. Every several months, maybe even a year, Jagex should collect the best of the best and have the players vote on which one should be made over a period of time. Absurd? Aren’t all great ideas at first? Tongue

TO PLAYERS:
Don’t think I have a word for you to. Yes, even you on the toilet, you disgusting little idiot. You couldn’t stop reading my brilliant thesis for 5 alchin’ minutes so you had to bring your stupid laptop to the bathroom with you. I would fart in your general direction, but I wouldn’t lower myself to your stand-

Behave – See what I did there? While I also have issues with Jagex, I don’t think we have been acting in a manner to be conversed with. The more we rage at, curse, and scoff those whom we’re trying to reason with, the less reasonable we sound. Think of all the different names and pejoratives for Jagex you’ve read recently. Think of the ones you’ve written yourself. If you were in their position, how would you respond to such language. That’s right, you’d ignore it: it, and we, sounds like frivolous drivel.

“BUT THEY HAVE MADE BAD DECISIONS!” Haven’t we all? By all means, point out the flaws in the execution, the differences between theory and practice, the reasons for the low quality. And I’ve seen threads that do, and the writer lament how Jagex doesn’t listen. But the problem is, these threads are overall written by the same people and lost in the flood of hatespam. I could even argue these threads for belonging in that mess as well. Long story short, treat Jagex as your equal so that they will listen to us. Raging clearly doesn’t help.

Suggest – While I may be biased as a member of the Suggestion Forum, I feel like just pointing out the flaws isn’t as helpful as it may seem. Yes, it gives us a better picture of what to fix, but not every problem can be solved by slapping on some numbers. If the majority of us prefer certain remedy, then Jagex has no choice than to use it in some form. We all know of the flawed combat triangle (or did those new-fangled staves fix everything?), but I have only seen two people really suggest improvements other than “MAKE RUNES COST LESS!”

FUN:
If this game is so riddled with holes, then tell me, why do you still play it? Is it delving into the plethora of storylines that Runescape has to offer, as opposed to many games having a main one? Is it the interesting boss battles that we’ve been seeing as of late? Is it the variety of minigames that a scattered across the land? Is it hanging out with your friends? Well, you tell me, I’ll even put your reasons here!

My point is that whatever it is you do, you still enjoy it regardless of Jagex’s missteps. Yes, there may be update X, but on the whole will that single update compromise your whole reason for playing this game? Yes, Jagex’s marketing style may grind your gears, but, once you have gotten fed up with it, has the game really changed from tolerable to terrible at that instant?

I suppose that I’m not one to talk, I’m quitting the game after all. But I can tell you one thing: I will look back on my time playing and say that I liked it. I gained a hobby from playing, I made several friends, and I learned how both games and gamers work. Not bad for something a I picked up in 3rd grade. Tongue

TL; DR:
If you really didn’t want to read my final thread, then I may as well summarize my leaving with here: I just want discussion. I want players to see Jagex as members of a conversation, not those idiots in high-chairs. I want Jagex to realize the potential player ideas. I want to be able to come back in a few years and say “Hey, I remember when the masses suggested that.” I don’t even care how popular the game will be at that time, I hear even Flyff is pretty fun. Or was that just me….
Handeath
Advocate

Number of posts : 955

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Handeath has left Runescape

Post by Duskcurse on Sat May 19, 2012 2:22 pm

You had to leave jsut when they where going to make hte combat overhaul D: I hope you don't leave TST aswell D:
Duskcurse
Partisan
Partisan

Number of posts : 1367

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon78114 on Sat May 19, 2012 3:47 pm

...so you're leaving because of the whiny players? But hey, I can't challenge your reasoning because it won't do anything.

Will you stay with us on the suggestion site or abandon Runescape completely? You were a great help to all of us.
Dragon78114
Partisan
Partisan

Number of posts : 1668

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MorbiusMonster on Sat May 19, 2012 3:49 pm

You call yourself a fan? Fans don't quit!
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Number of posts : 2637

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir on Sat May 19, 2012 8:14 pm

So I've read through various chunks of this. What I've read, I agree with, and I'll be sad to see you go.

I am hopeful though, that these suggestions could come to fruition. Sadly, the marketing aspect seems to be going in the wrong direction, but if you look at Daemonheim and new skilling updates like Runespan, you'll see a movement towards some of the things you want.
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Number of posts : 1248

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MorbiusMonster on Sat May 19, 2012 10:19 pm

You might miss out on Arzonus. Once I get the final quest seen to, there is a lot to see.
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Handeath on Sat May 19, 2012 11:06 pm

Well I didn't realized how missed I would be! Shock

Make no mistake though, I'm not playing Runescape anymore, mostly because I realized how the biggest aspect of the game, skilling, is too much of a grind to the next level. Furthermore, I will probably use my friend's account or something when the combat revamp comes, I just like action rpgs more, something I learned when my brother got me Kingdom Hearts 358/2 for Christmas.

But I really am glad I played RS for the time I did, especially because my passion for writing started through making and reading quest suggestions. And for that, I'm going to stick around here to help you guys with your projects (mostly something that rhymes with BOMECOMING JACKOLOPYSE.)
Handeath
Advocate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Handeath on Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:35 am

With the start of a new month, I can't help but think of the BTS and Runescape, then thought of more reason why I left:

Jagex's updates aren't as significant as they should be. Ideally there should be a quest, a skill update, a combat update, and a tweek, the signifcance of the updates can be shifted. Recently, Jagex has been focusing on small tweaks, which don't dramatically show improvement.

Furthermore, the quests of RS, while not the 'COLLECT X ITEMS' quests that other MMOs use, they focus too much on stand-alones. I'm aware that not every quest can be While Guthix Sleeps, I think each quest should still have interesting mechanics or plot or humor: each quest will have some significance. Moreover, I feel like each quest should have some significant reward: cool items, lore, or access to a new series: we need a few more of those, make short trilogies if it means we learn more about the lore of Gielinor and its personalities.
Handeath
Advocate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MorbiusMonster on Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:04 am

Runescape is slowly starting to go down the toilet, I admit.

This month showed little promise;
-A revamp of Doric's Quest, which was unneeded if anything.
-The Hallowe'en event was unimaginative. Effectively, the same as the Easter event that went on and on and on. I don't like seeing things that become all too samey. (Possible Christmas miniquest "Can't See The Wood for the Trees" - find pine trees that randomly show up, win a crappy elf costume).
-Other things were so mediocre, not worth noticing.
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Handeath on Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:59 am

I will admit though, the revamps of novice quests is actually quite nice: although the quests themselves aren't amazing, they do a good job of leading into prominent quest series.

Speaking of which, what quests would y'all list as solid quests for each difficulty? (Im thinking Branches of Darkmyer as on mine.)
Handeath
Advocate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top