The Suggestion Site
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bolvaoir – The Twisted Lands

+4
MorbiusMonster
The Empty Lord
Handeath
Slayer Noir
8 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Bolvaoir – The Twisted Lands - Page 4 Empty Bolvaoir – The Twisted Lands

Post by Slayer Noir Sat May 19, 2012 10:50 pm

First topic message reminder :

Bolvaoir is a constantly changing realm. Shifting tides regularly engulf its lower lands, the beasts don’t stay in one place and the unpredictable weather can render rivers swollen and roads impassable.

But there’s more; something altogether more sinister. The lands seem to twist themselves, beyond what can be explained by natural forces: towns appear and disappear suddenly, caves and dungeons seem to rearrange themselves upon every visit, bridges seem to build and unbuild themselves and the trees don’t seem content with staying in one place.

The vast lands are littered with the ruins of an ancient race. Noone knows how or why they disappeared, but it seems something wiped them out extremely quickly and precisely. The few inhabitants of Bolvaoir refuse to speak of them, and no outsider knows why.

So, this is Bolvaoir, a land designed to inject some mystery, adventure and wanderlust back into Runescape. It does this in several ways:
It’s constantly changing: no two visits will ever be the same, so you don’t know what to expect when you visit
It’s vast: It’s really big and settlements (when they choose to appear) are scarce
You’re meant to get lost: the minimap fails you in Bolvaoir, and it’s marked as uncharted on the world map. Furthermore, it has features that’ll put you in unknown places – occasionally a fog bank will roll in and your lost character will emerge elsewhere, and entrances and exits to dungeons rarely seem to add up
Hard to reach areas. It’s important to have areas that can only occasionally be accessed, so that dedicated players retain wanderlust for longer
Atmosphere. One way or another, it'll have a really mysterious atmosphere

Characters:
Spoiler:

Weather:
Spoiler:

Creatures:
Spoiler:

Locations:
Spoiler:

Technical:
Spoiler:

Rewards:
Spoiler:

Miscellaneous:
Spoiler:

Additional Design Notes:
Spoiler:

Last edited by Slayer Noir on Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:51 am; edited 10 times in total
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Number of posts : 1248

Back to top Go down

Bolvaoir – The Twisted Lands - Page 4 Empty Re: Bolvaoir – The Twisted Lands

Post by Slayer Noir Tue May 29, 2012 10:15 am

While we both know Runescape could never steal the music from another RPG, I really like the feel. I think it creates the atmosphere I'd like to create when the weather's bad in Bolvaoir.

On a related note, I think I should start listing weather modes for Bolvaoir. Different whether will make different things happen in Bolvaoir, for example whispids won't appear on sunny days, but the question is, do I want a lot of different weather types that have overlapping features, or just a few which are totally unique from one another?

Anyway, here's a list of weathers so far
-Sunny
-Blizzard
-Gale
-Foggy
-Thunderstorm

Also, I want night and day in Bolvaoir.

Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Tue May 29, 2012 8:35 pm

May also have some war in Bolvaoir. The native races could be fighting for territory or artifacts. They may employ you as a mercenary and give you spoils of war, or you might unwittingly get caught in the middle of one of their battles. Just some additional variation/backstory.
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Handeath Tue May 29, 2012 9:45 pm

Do you yourself know the full backstory of Bolvaoir?
Handeath
Handeath
Advocate

Number of posts : 955

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Wed May 30, 2012 12:15 am

No. I think a good way to guarantee mystery in the backstory of Bolvaoir is for me to not know it myself.

I do/will know aspects - particularly the more recent history. And I do know some of the things that are not in Bolvaoir's backstory. For example, I know that the ancient civilisation on Bolvaoir was not wiped out by Dragonkin, nor the God Wars and had nothing to do with Zaros. I've identified them as common theories people will come up with and so will make efforts to dispel them.
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duskcurse Wed May 30, 2012 7:49 am

D: D': You promised there'd be Zaros D': D':
Duskcurse
Duskcurse
Partisan
Partisan

Number of posts : 1367

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Wed May 30, 2012 8:58 am

No promises were made. I said I'd see if I could fit Zaros in somewhere. And I still will, but there's no guarantee I'll find anywhere I wanna put him.
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duskcurse Thu May 31, 2012 10:10 pm

Hey I thought of a NPC for Bolvaoir, he'd be called the Storyteller, and he would tell you myths from Bolvaoir in the form of cutescenes, like it?
Duskcurse
Duskcurse
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Thu May 31, 2012 11:39 pm

Waaaaay ahead of you, Dusk Tongue

"Galveron.
Galveron is a sort of guide figure in Bolvaoir. He'll appear randomly and give you trivia and advice about Bolvaoir, as a means of expanding on Bolvaoir's backstory. Being a non-native, he won't refuse to talk about the ancient race of Bolvaoir. "

Not 100% sure I like the idea of cutscenes. I need to think about that some more - if I'm honest, I didn't even consider it...
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:55 am

Hmm... How should I kill this

Picture the situation. You're casually strolling through the salt marshes of Tideswallow in Bolvaoir when you're confronted with a giant dragonfly. It's big, it's hungry and it wants to kill you. You ready your sword, prepared to battle it to the death - but wait! Is this the best way to kill your foe? You see a nearby tree which you could use to set up a trap. You've heard rumors that a dragonfly's exoskeleton is valuable, but if you kill it using a sword, you may damage it...

So this introduces another feature I want in Bolvaoir - choice when killing your monsters. As demonstrated in the example above, you could use either combat or hunter to kill a dragonfly. The two techniques, however, yield different results. Hunting a dragonfly will reward you with its exoskeleton, whereas battling it will allow you to access a drop table of herbs and other items.

The idea is to promote thinking on your feet, experimentation and variety. Not only may you be unsure about which method is more rewarding to you, you might not have the levels for one method, or your personal situation might make one choice better than the other (example - if you're low on health, it might be better to hunt the dragonfly than take more damage in battle).

So, is this a good idea? Will it achieve my objectives of increasing variety, experimentation and quick thinking?
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duskcurse Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:04 am

Yes it does, and, I was toying with this idea, well two in fact, but how about if you add some temple trekking elements to Bolvaoir. NAd I was thinking that,in bolvair you could find small "towns" wich are on gian rafts, as Bolvaoir is always changing this could work, and hte way the habitants react would change according to their location in Bolvaoir, like it?
Duskcurse
Duskcurse
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:02 am

Yes... If I added in razones specially designed for water, I could have a floating town that seemingly drifted around Bolvaoir. I like it, it's odd, but odd works in Bolvaoir.

As for temple trekking, what elements do you think I should add?
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duskcurse Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:13 am

Things like havingto fix a bridge, the horror attack, helping to save people, things like those
Duskcurse
Duskcurse
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:05 am

Without trying to directly copy, I'll put in some rappearings that are similar
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duskcurse Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:59 am

Yeah, well all of that were jsut suggestions, ideas if you want, you could incorporate your ideas of killing them with hutner, perphas a group of travelers could ask you to give them a dragonfly exoeskeleton to make a raft, or something like that. Also, what were razones again? Because you might like to change the word
Duskcurse
Duskcurse
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:09 am

To remind you:

Areas in Bolvaoir can fall into one of 5 categories:

Static: Static areas never change and can always be accessed. Any large enough static area could serve as a safe area, eg Guardian Ruins
Unmoving but Changable (unbchas): These areas never move but are subject to change, eg The Dead Saltmarshes
Randomly Accessible (raccessibles): These areas never change in appearance or move, but at times they may be unreachable, eg Soulchiller Cave
Randomly Appearing (rappearings): These are features that randomly appear and disappear. They constantly move around the map and aren't guaranteed to exist at any given time, eg Aegis Tree Groves
Random Appearing Zones (razones): These are areas where a rappearing appears. They are designed to graphically integrate with them (ie, the shape of a razone is the same as that of a rappearing)

I see no reasons to change the words. They're just shortenings of what the actual technical features are. It's a convenience. I don't want to say Random Appearing Zones over and over when I could say razones.
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duskcurse Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:06 pm

It's that razones is reason in spanish
Duskcurse
Duskcurse
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:27 am

Is that really the end of the world? It's not like it's anything rude in spanish Tongue
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duskcurse Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:56 am

It can cause confusion
Duskcurse
Duskcurse
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:03 am

Odds are any word I make up will mean something in another language. It doesn't bother me, I'm clearly speaking English and not Spanish, and if you follow the concept of shifting terrain diligently, it'll be clear what razone means...
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duskcurse Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:19 am

Ok, well, any update on this?
Duskcurse
Duskcurse
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:21 am

You mean in terms of new content? Nothing at the moment, I'm afraid.
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon78114 Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:42 pm

I have an idea. Maybe instead of trying to slap on Bolvaoir (I know this is a little late) on to some desolate location of the map no one cares abouts, why not have it located so far south that the map cannot represent it. To me with having it as an extension to the Feldips or Piscatoris, ruins the mystery because based on the outline of the land you can estimate where you are. To make Bolvaoir truly mysterious there should be no map at all.
Dragon78114
Dragon78114
Partisan
Partisan

Number of posts : 1668

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:56 pm

If we were to do that, it would have to be too far North or West, purely because in Gielinor, stuff gets hotter and more tropical the further south you go, and I've already started building a climate suited to its northern location

I'd like to ask this: I wanted Bolvaoir to be connected to a landmass so
1. It didn't feel entirely isolated from the rest of RuneScape, like dungeoneering
2. Players could chance across it - just accidentally wander in or something

Could you find ways of still achieving that under your system?
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Handeath Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:17 pm

Fairy Rings.
Handeath
Handeath
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:48 pm

Fairy rings (which require Fairy Tale 2 to use and a Dramen Staff if you haven't done Fairy Tale 3) would be quite the blow to accessibility...
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Handeath Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:33 am

Requires partial completion of FT2, it's not a very high requirement, all low-mid level players should meet that requirement
Handeath
Handeath
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum