Chat: Scape

Page 12 of 15 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Chat: Scape

Post by 3mptylord on Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:03 pm

First topic message reminder :

I'm still around a mates and her Internet has just been cut off... So we can't discuss this in game until tonight/tomorrow.

Redid skills section in light of our discussion.

Quicklink: Scape

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
If all good things come to an end then we're living in a world where evil wins. 

If there once was love then maybe something survived. If we find a single diamond in the rough then it's worth it. Through a thousand tears if there's one drop of love then it's worth it. 
3mptylord
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 7343

View user profile http://3mptylord.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Chat: Scape

Post by Slayer Noir on Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:23 am

I understand. It's just that, having watched many nature documentaries I know how each island in a sea can be unique and exciting and I just felt the need to defend them. I want islands like that in Scape. And there are still some situations where something needs to be confined or similar from a storyline point of view, which islands do well.

To be honest, I think we've lost track of what we're debating about. I say we just move on Tongue

Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Number of posts : 1248

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 3mptylord on Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:56 am

I'm not against islands. I'm only against adding an island for each piece of new content. The Mutiny Sea has no main landmass: an expanse of islands; as are the Northern Wastes; the expanse between Rivel and the mainland. I'm all for islands. Wink

But yes, back on topic. Kingdom Management will not be at sea or the cloud see. It will exist in Janzar, and possibly Caldorin (at least with the current implementation I have though up).

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

If there once was love then maybe something survived. If we find a single diamond in the rough then it's worth it. Through a thousand tears if there's one drop of love then it's worth it. 
3mptylord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir on Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:01 am

You have ideas for it already? Do share...
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 3mptylord on Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:36 pm

Nothing much more than I've said already.

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

3mptylord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir on Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:04 am

It's occurred to me that we currently have no castles in Scape. Do we actually want any?
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 3mptylord on Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:54 am

Possibly.

Also, I was going to suggest day/night/season. I was thinking 1 minute to 1 hour ratio, so in light of RuneScape/Novels it would take 36 minutes to walk from Falador to Taverly. But than that would mean the day lasts around 12 minutes, which possibly isn't long enough to have time-dependant events such as tide, bloom, etc.

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

3mptylord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir on Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:07 am

I'm still unsure whether castles clash with the whole originality theme we're going for. They're almost a mark of uninventiveness in an MMO.

As for day and night etc, I'd have been happy for it to be real time if not for an international player base (we'll be ambitious and assume we'll have one Tongue).

A system that makes it close to real time but somehow prevents say, American players always playing at night and English players always playing at day would be nice. Perhaps days should be 21 hours long. That'll sort of rotate what time day and night are each real-time day. I'm explaining myself really badly here. I hope you get what I mean.

Pokemon Black and White have seasons changing every month. I think that works. It gives you enough time to make the most of a season and sort of gives meaning to a season's passing, whilst at the same time doesn't give an impossibly long wait for a given season.

I think a minute to an hour ratio makes everything happen far too quickly.
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 3mptylord on Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:24 am

Or just 2 cycles of the sun and moon a day. And this doesn't even have to be poetic licence. The planet could take 24 hours to complete an orbit, but the moon does a full rotation a day (rather than a month, as with earth): thus, the moon obstructs half the day that would be light. Actually, that would just make it 6 hours day and 18 hours night, wouldn't it?

*shrugs*

Poetic licence. Smile

And monthly seasons sounds good. Tongue

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

3mptylord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir on Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:42 am

If you're happy with 12 hour days then so am I. Any length of time would have it's merits and I think 12 hours is a good compromise between our initial thoughts. Though if you want 12 hour days then all you have to have is a planet that rotates fully every 12 hours. No need to add complicated eclipses.

That said, I do like the idea of adding them in. Eclipses are eerie and weird shit could happen when one occurs.

So what's actually different during different seasons/day and night? I'm just gonna go ahead and throw every idea that comes into my head out there. You tell me whether they're good, or whether I've gone wrong.

Summer should see more/faster spawns of trees and other plant resources. Perhaps spring sees more fish, autumn more ores (doesn't really make sense, I know) and winter more hunter animals? Or something like that. It would be nice if each gathering skill had a "good season".

More intense weather effects in hot places during summer (eg Sungrave) and likewise for cold places in the winter.

Different monster appearances during day and night.

Certain weapons and spells more powerful at certain times?

Different shops open offering different stock at different times.

Certain areas are only accessible at certain times.
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Duskcurse on Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:51 am

Hmm, we could add elements like floods, snow storms, storms, etc. To add an extra edge to the game, but it might be over complicated Tongue
Duskcurse
Partisan
Partisan

Number of posts : 1367

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir on Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:55 am

I was already going to have things like that in Sungrave and Bolvaoir (in whatever form it ends up taking in Scape). The possibility of them happening outside is great and just failed to occur to me. Let's go for it.
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Duskcurse on Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:06 am

Yay, I made a contribution, they might be scripted events in some towns, like preparing for a flood or thigns like that, heck, in floods we could be attacked by elements or sea/river creatures
Duskcurse
Partisan
Partisan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir on Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:10 am

If you can think of a way to stop those scripted events from becoming repetitive after a player's seen them several times, they could be pretty neat. Any ideas?
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Duskcurse on Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:14 am

Hmm, well, they coud vary depending upon various factors, for example, on winter they could ome with small ice chunks, on spring it could be more pantanous like, the mosnters could vary, and htere could be scripted events inside it, or they could happen while having one travelling method, like boats. Like it?
Duskcurse
Partisan
Partisan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir on Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:16 am

I don't entirely get what you're saying, if I'm honest.
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Duskcurse on Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:19 am

WHat I mean, events should be different depending on area, season and/or time of hte day*

*For example, floods within the night would be worse since the moon will be having more influence.
Duskcurse
Partisan
Partisan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir on Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:20 am

So it's simply sheer volume of events that stops them getting repetitive?
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Duskcurse on Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:27 am

Not sheer volume, hmm, for example, if you were woodcutting anda flood came in, if you were skilled enough, you could make a raft, if you were fishing, you'd have to swim against the river. Or if you were traveling on a boat you'd have to keep it from sinking, or if you were in a blizzard and you were in a hot air balloon, it could fall and you'd have to fix it, or find another means to scape
Duskcurse
Partisan
Partisan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir on Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:30 am

Ah, so there are multiple ways of dealing with it depending on your skillset and the items you currently have. There's the stroke of genius I was pushing for.
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Duskcurse on Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:36 am

Thanks, good sir
Duskcurse
Partisan
Partisan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Duskcurse on Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:40 am

Also, we could have more magical events, like, catalyst appearing out of cracks from the grounds. We coud also have events combining, for example, catalyst accident combined with flood, or blizzard combined with flood. Of course it should make sense according to the season, unless catalyst is so potent that it could mess up everithing
Duskcurse
Partisan
Partisan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 3mptylord on Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:53 pm

You know, it'd be a lot more easy to "handle" storms/weather extremes if the player was no actual able to "handle" them. A flood would merely alter the map for a few days, create an atmosphere of an evolving map. If you've played Fable 2, there is a town that gets flooded during the rainy-reason and then the "flood" gets frozen over during winter and is in drought-like conditions during summer. Some of the hidden collectables in the game are inaccessible during the flood and winter, due to the ground-level of the town being inaccessible.

My contribution to things effected by the time: tide, with areas of the map being reveal during times of low tide and becoming inaccessible when the tide is in. The Diamond Reefs of Ammora were going to be a gem-mine, where the more valuable gems are available for the shortest and most risky period (only revealed at the peak-low, and it's about to come back).

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

3mptylord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir on Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:44 am

Hmm. All this has got me thinking

Is Scape going to acknowledge the passage of time as people play, or is it (like RuneScape) going to be perpetually and annoyingly locked into one year for it's whole existence?

And, if we do acknowledge years changing, would it have to be once every 4 months (to coincide with the seasons) or would we just have to have 12 seasons in a year?
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 3mptylord on Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:57 am

12 seasons in a year would probably be more appropriate.

I was going to acknowledge the passage of time. Smile

I'm not going to lie, I was hoping the Ritual of the Mahjarrat would mark the year 170 and that the events that concluded would be more prominent and vocal. Similar to Cataclysm in World of Warcraft.

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

3mptylord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir on Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:28 am

I'm glad you think so. It's actually frustrating that RuneScape seems frozen in time.

As for a cataclysm of sorts, I like the idea. Perhaps we should plan for one...
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Duskcurse on Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:36 am

3mpty: I meant in no way to "stop" the disaster, what I meant is, for example, if you are in a town, and there is a storm, you could reinforce doors, or in floods you could help stranded people. But I still like your idea.

By the way, regarding if years should change, well, that'd make questin complicated, I mean, let's say that a quest happens in year A, but a play gets the requeriment to do it in year C, akward, eh?
Duskcurse
Partisan
Partisan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 15 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top