The Suggestion Site
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Computer Peripheral

+2
Dragon78114
The Empty Lord
6 posters

Go down

New Computer Peripheral  Empty New Computer Peripheral

Post by The Empty Lord Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:31 am

I was lying in bed last night conceptualising a computer game and trying to decide the best controls (what, you're all writing books, I'm on-and-off thinking about designing a game Tongue). I thought maybe using an analogue stick would require less of the keyboard - basically, the I was trying to keep the keyboard for chatting and putting as many of the controls elsewhere.

Then it dawned on me most people don't have a joystick (or the like) for a computer, and thought maybe the game could come with one. Well, release them separately and "free" with the game. I decided handheld would be nice, something you could clutch in your hand... so, the mouse and the device would be primary, using the mouse-hand for the keyboard (as it's probably less effort to let go of the mouse than to put something down).

I was doodling at work (I was covering reception and I was bored) and I drew a bean thing with an analogue stick, two buttons (or one button and a trigger) at the top and two buttons/trigger things on the side. I then realised it looked like a Wii Nunchuk. Smile

Either way, I still think it would make a nice addition to the standard peripherals for a computer. We haven't really had any that took on since the mouse. Keyboard, Keyboard and Number Pad, Keyboard (integrated number pad) then Mouse. The Computer Chuck. Smile

Having four buttons and an analogue stick pretty much makes it half a console controller - you have L1/LB and L2/LT, and two of the XYAB/XO▲■. The mouse provides another "analogue stick", and the R1/RB and R2/RT. That enough? Tongue

Basically, do you think the Wii Nunchuk would make a good computer peripheral? Tongue

Or a Zeemote, since apparently that exists too. But it's for a phone.
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 7344

http://3mptylord.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

New Computer Peripheral  Empty Re: New Computer Peripheral

Post by Dragon78114 Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:57 am

I have no idea. It sounds interesting, but I really think the joystick should be connected to the computer via USB, rather than actually having to add it to the keyboard.
Dragon78114
Dragon78114
Partisan
Partisan

Number of posts : 1668

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:43 am

I never said it would be part of the keyboard? I was just showing the evolution of peripherals that every desktop computer should have. It would be USB. Tongue
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:49 am

The only problem with this is that the mouse is by far the simplest method we ahve come up with to navigate the various graphical interfaces we use on our computers, similarly the keyboard allows us to easily input text. These are two of the most basic function we will ever have. Other peripherals aren't added because most of them are necessary for only certain experiences. People don't want to buy something that they will never use if it will cause the price of the main product to go up. Companies don't want to add in something people will be willing to buy separately and keep the price the same.
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Number of posts : 3550
Location : Within the hallowed halls of the mighty, those known only as nobles.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon78114 Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:41 pm

um, have you not played Guitar hero? You can't play the game with just your regular controller, you have to buy the guitar, and look how popular it is! Tongue
Dragon78114
Dragon78114
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:50 pm

>_> That has no bearing on my point whatsoever. However if you would like to pull that example out of your [puncture] then be my guest.

If I want to play COD(or just games like it(or any set of games that doesn't require the guitar)) I'm not going to want to buy a [PS3/Wii/360] packaged with the guitar that costs more than one without it. And the companies would rather not just add one in for free because then they aren't draining more money from those who play guitar hero. If the guitar was an incredibly compact design that was flexible enough to be spread over a variety of other games, then maybe it would become an item packaged with every game system, until that day I laugh in your face and throw lemon juice on your wounded ego!!!

(Before anyone pulls this out of their [puncture]: Don't say that the joystick/controller/whatever is an incredibly efficient way of dealing with games and should be packaged with all computers. Computers are not always used as gaming devices, just as game consoles aren't always used to play guitar hero)
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Number of posts : 3550
Location : Within the hallowed halls of the mighty, those known only as nobles.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon78114 Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:05 pm

o.o

sorry, I didn't mean to cause you to filp out! I was just trying to have a constructive debate...

What I meant was, I guess I didn't finish my argument. Think about this: companies want money. They want you to buy things speprately to obviously make more money. It would be a good idea to include like the addition with the game, but so far, there are simply to many vairants of one guitar for guitar hero, for example. They know if the game comes with a basic guitar, then people won't want to buy another because they tend to be very expensive. So, to get more profit, you have to buy them separately. But I do agree that it would be much more convenient to have the extra gizmo come with the game! Tongue
Dragon78114
Dragon78114
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruy112 Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:34 pm

3mpty, by the time you finish your game, all computers will simply be controlled by putting on a helmet Tongue

Anyway... It's too early in the morning for me to understand this Smile
Ruy112
Ruy112
Partisan
Partisan

Number of posts : 1623

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:02 pm

I did say "free", implying it isn't free. It's delicately worked into the price so that you are paying for it. Tongue

Anyway, I don't intend for the device to be standard for everyone. The gaming market would be fine. I'm not going to try and conceive how it would feature generically.

The PS3's nunchuck has fitted a directional pad on theirs. Shock
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TATORZ Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:07 am

PS3 has a nunchuck...?
TATORZ