The Suggestion Site
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[P] Actual backstory

+2
The Empty Lord
trixtor
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

[P] Actual backstory Empty [P] Actual backstory

Post by trixtor Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:08 pm

I was thinking that we could use:1) Deit(ies/y) 2) Nations 3) Biosphere 4) professions 5) languages 6) Weaponry 7) Foods and drinks 8) Legends and myths 9) Famous people 10) level of technology.
trixtor
trixtor
Advocate

Number of posts : 538

Back to top Go down

[P] Actual backstory Empty Re: [P] Actual backstory

Post by The Empty Lord Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:37 pm

1) The Dwallow are only pseudo-religious, owning respect only to the Forerunner. They don't believe in gods. Curiosity/thirst for knowledge isn't something the Dwallows are known for - they general accept what they are told, and don't question things that they don't care about (such as where they came from, why they are here, etc). Sometimes a curious dwallow is born - similar to how some humans are born naturally artistic, etc, - and they are usually praised and become renown thinkers.

[ramble]

When planning features that my hypothetical game might contain (yes, I went beyond just creating worlds), I came up with something called Prologues*. They would be out-of-character quests, played from the perspective of NPCs to show some backstory, show were they came from, etc. Just a method to connect with the characters who feature in the main story (not mandatory, just something accessible from the home screen similar to a gallery or something).

One Dwallow I created, Crin, left Pallis after his parents rejected who he was - wishing he'd just be normal like everyone else, and just accept that things are what they are (wow, suddenly realised what that scenario sounds like). He jumped off the cliff and, using a makeshift para-glider, glided down to the lower world. I never really planned his inclusion in our human adventure, or whether he'd ever return...Tongue

*I say "I came up with" only relatively... I suppose it's possible something similar already exists in some existing game, but to my knowledge it was an idea fresh out the grey matter. Pleased

[/ramble]

I'm not saying deities don't exist (either theological or factual, since it would be nice to have some gods who don't actually exist), but just our human-counterpart doesn't have any. Smile

Also, note when I say "The dwallows are" or any form of implying fact relating to the dwallow, I'm merely reciting what is currently fact from my imagination. It is subject to change if anyone thinks it's not a good idea. I don't mean to say "are" as in "that's final". Tongue

So yeah... (1) done for one race. Thought I'd go to bed rather than ramble on about anything else, since it's 4:38am. Cheeky
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 7344

http://3mptylord.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Zectiox Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:20 pm

wow that is awesome. great job 3mpty Grin

this is gonna be awesome.. concept art for the Dwallows? maybe Tongue
Zectiox
Zectiox
Advocate

Number of posts : 743

Back to top Go down

Post by Zectiox Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:22 pm

should the Dwallows be diveded in nations or are one? or like in kingdoms as in our RS? 2-4 kingdoms... maybe?
Zectiox
Zectiox
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:21 pm

As to Deities: It's really a matter of whether we want religion to follow the following categories.

Agreed Upon/Different: Do the races all agree on one pantheon? Though they likely venerate individual gods more than others.

Polytheistic or Monotheistic: One god? Many gods?

Actual/Fictional: Are they just a religion, or can they actually intervene/ actually have power.
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Number of posts : 3550
Location : Within the hallowed halls of the mighty, those known only as nobles.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruy112 Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:43 am

Spur idea, let's make the gods very real. Think Discworld or GOW3, they walk around, like pseudo-mahjarrats. They favour some, have wants, dislike others, and are hella strong (No defeating a god)
Ruy112
Ruy112
Partisan
Partisan

Number of posts : 1623

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:48 am

Ooh, love it.

Fate, Luck and Death (not all, but key I think). Grin

But I'm not sure how they'd factor. Unless the dwallow are religious... because how I'm imagining the mogrul (troll-like creatures) I can't see them following gods. Perhaps they are gods for a similar reason as in the Hogfather (possibly explained in other books, but that's the only one I've read) - the gods are just a result of belief, rather than the other way around. They are personified-- things. A god can be killed if enough people stop believing in them. (whilst RuneScape gods only need worship to be here, without worship they'd just have to go somewhere else) Wink
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zectiox Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:03 am

Or are the mogruls like the titans in Greek mythology and the giants in norse mythology Tongue they got stuck by the gods but someone or something let them out Grin

It could maybe make it realistic if all races didnt agree on everything.. They could still accept one and other, for their religion and belief. But when it comes to share and knowledge of the gods or things like that. They would stay with their own belief.

and the above idea is really what we want the races to be.. if they have poly- or monotheistic belief. Some races could just have one (the moles, that lives underground could maybe only have one god, The god of the minerals or something) The Mogruls maybe doesn't have any gods, they are banished and trying to.. give back for old cheese..

Dwallows.. well they are a humanlike people, maybe they got one god, one major god or maybe they got many gods.. (our mythology) god of war, godess of love, godess of hunter, god of forge... etc etc etc Tongue

Zectiox
Zectiox
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:33 am

I don't think they should accept each other, I think that the Mogrul and the Dwallow should actually be hostile. Not at war, but dwallows dare not enter mogrul territory unless it's imperative - since it's dangerous. It's really just like cats and dogs (or rather, wildcats and wolves).

I don't think the dwallow should have gods, but perhaps the mogrul could have an earth mother, or something symbolic like that.

However, that does not mean there cannot be other gods - or, powerful mortals. Perhaps they are a race of their own, whose only delight is toying with the frail ones. The dwallow might know of them from childhood stories, or old wives' tales, but they don't worship them.

Fate and Luck have been life-long enemies, whilst Death just hates his job. Wink

The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Duskcurse Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:43 am

Hey what about my race, you know every grat story needs a 3rd and that 3rd is normally neutral
Duskcurse
Duskcurse
Partisan
Partisan

Number of posts : 1367

Back to top Go down

Post by Zectiox Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:44 am

morguls having a earth mother... sounds like the FFVII : Advent Children.. where "mother" is some kind of spirit (only seen the movie a couple of times.. and I dont remember that much of it if I say so...)

ofc, dwallows and morguls are hostiles... like dwallos are "the chosen ones" and the morguls the mistake.. or maybe.. not..

anyway. A immortal race.. could they have a race of which can turn the dwallows to "their" side? ingame npc-game Tongue.. maybe maybe not.. only a fun thought.

Fate & Luck great. Death hah, yeah think he hates his job Tongue
Zectiox
Zectiox
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by trixtor Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:39 am

I was thinking discworld-like anthropomorphic personifications instead of true deities.
trixtor
trixtor
Advocate

Number of posts : 538

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:42 am

Nah, the dwallows aren't chosen. They just happen to live in the former forerunner territory. The forerunner didn't leave it for the dwallows personally, they had no knowledge of the dwallows or the mogruls, etc. The forerunner were a great and bountiful species, who disappeared without a trace. What happened to them is the mystery, not who they are. Wink

trixtor wrote:I was thinking discworld-like anthropomorphic personifications instead of true deities.

Same. Only I was trying to word them as a mahjarrat-like race in terms of how they feature... just incredibly powerful creatures bound to roles.

Also, @Dusk, my opinion of the Scorpire hasn't changed since I last told you my opinion on them. And to be honest, I don't really know what great stories you are on about when you say good ones come in threes. Tongue
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zectiox Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:39 am

okey, dwallows just happend to rise and take the old Forerunner empire Tongue

I need to read the other topics more clearly when im not that tired -.- but what with the relationship between Mogruls and Dwallows, why are they hostile? is it just that Mogruls wants power and land and Dwallows just want.. the other thing around... and then they tried to make a pact of something and its like a Jungle vs Desert...

Say that Mogruls came to this world some 100-1000 years after the Forerunners went away, and that they ruled the Barrenlands for a couple of years.. Only leaving that pumping struction near the lake (or some more ruins or even whole ancient cities (that the Dwallows will retake later)). You know, Mogruls didnt want to leave anything from the past, even if they maybe didnt really knew what the Forerunners were building, and what the purpose of the structure where, maybe they destroyed a pump station or something belonged to that and thats why the half of the Barrenlands are more non-living that the other one?

damn, out of ideas what happens next Tongue
Zectiox
Zectiox
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:01 am

Can you proof read that? I couldn't make sense of it. Sad

It's basically just cats and dogs. Mogrul are highly territorial, and the dwallow are timid. Grin
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Duskcurse Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:12 am

3mpty, I'll write more history of the scorpicore soon, a small teaser now

"It was hell the explosion was so intense that it only lasted a few seconds, only a couple survived, me amongst them, our beutifull cities are destroyed our lush land has turned into a wasteland, but that was only the beggining after a while whe were trapped by a magical camp, the dust formed clouds wich blocked the sun, half of the survivers died, but some of us are addapting, I dont know what the future holds us but whe need to survive, the scorpicore won't fall. I am also starting to note some changes on my group their sking seems to have become more hard and their fingernails more sharp, I can only wonder what will happen next.

Day two:
"The horror our once beutifull capital is destroed and now this "the rest of the text is too damaged to be read
Duskcurse
Duskcurse
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Zectiox Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:14 am

hate when I fails in grammar or spelled words wrong.. anyway, I just spinned and twisted the thougts around... just thought of the history of when they came to this world (even if Dwallows are a somekind related to the Forerunners... )
Zectiox
Zectiox
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by Duskcurse Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:23 am

Zectiox did you liked my teaser?
Duskcurse
Duskcurse
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:19 am

When did the explosion happen, and what was it's blast radius? Confuse
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Duskcurse Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:29 am

Imagine there is a huge desert between the dwallows and mogruls territory, ok 3mpty?
Duskcurse
Duskcurse
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duskcurse Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:49 am

3mpty please answer me
Duskcurse
Duskcurse
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:50 am

But the mogrul territory is desert...?
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Duskcurse Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:57 am

I was thinking that it could be more like a swamp, dont you think so
Duskcurse
Duskcurse
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:03 am

What, mogrul territory or scorpire territory?
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Duskcurse Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:07 am

mogrul territory
Duskcurse
Duskcurse