The Suggestion Site
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Brink

+2
Duskcurse
Dark Avorian
6 posters

Go down

The Brink Empty The Brink

Post by Dark Avorian Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:17 pm

The Brink
Discussion on Pallis's most stunning feature, the edge.

So, I think this unique Geographical feature deserves it's own thread. In terms of earth's basic coordinate system it goes in a massive circle around the planet from roughly 75 degrees north to 75 degrees south. The side it encapsulates is the one with the North Pole (amirite?).

In both sectors of the world the area near the dividing line is rather inhospitable. For the Lower world, it is encircled by a massive storm that extends about 300 miles out to sea from the edge. Above, it is merely very cold.

As discussed in the "Water Supply" thread, it is dotted with Mouths of the Creators. At a couple points, deep chasms in it are evidence of where a large sea has emptied, these chasms go down farther than the clouds. The storm is affected by the tides, and "Mistrise" flows into pallis from the brink.

The major inhabitants of the brink are the Az-Dimin. They have built small colonies all along the edge, with large colonies around the Various edge structures. They cloudfish and mistweave.

One section of the brink, at the far north of the edge, is uninhabited except by a strange tribe of the (Dwallow or Mogrul?) This is covered in an ice sheet, which flows over the edge and then calves huge icebergs that smash into the lower world.

For most of the brink, A ring of mountains runs along it. There are many breaches in the mountain ring, but it does surround the majority. Within the mountains are a number of ancient forerunner cities, and several other structures. The mountains are the home of the highest concentration of Diminor in the world, and are the only home of the Mining Bor-Dimin. Bak-Dimin live among the remnants in the mountains, Ak-dimin flourish in the abandoned cities, and Bor-Dimin Burrow beneath it all.

Thoughts? Additions?
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Number of posts : 3550
Location : Within the hallowed halls of the mighty, those known only as nobles.

Back to top Go down

The Brink Empty Re: The Brink

Post by Duskcurse Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:06 am

How about some sort of huge temple where al sorts of fannatics from all races gather to worship the forerunner?, what do you think of that boss?
Duskcurse
Duskcurse
Partisan
Partisan

Number of posts : 1367

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruy112 Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:15 am

*cough* In the middle of the most barren of the Barrenlands lies a circular valley (Some might call it an unusually large crater). In the center of this crater is a massive monolith made of polished black stone. All around it, in the bottom of the valley, a city has appeared, more like a slum actually, made of temples and other houses of worship, of varying quality. It's inhabitants are mainly, religious fanatics all claiming they know the purpose of the monolith, greedy merchants trying to wrestle a coin from the purses of the religious fanatics, scurvy bandits trying to get same coin from the pockets of the merchants, and some more fanatics failing to keep law and order. *cough*

Anyway, on topic, ya it sound kinda awesome. Also, MASSIVE waterfalls should tumble over the edge, providing sustenance for the mist-swallow-bird-things, allowing people to cloud fish.

More info on Ak-dimin plawx Smile
Ruy112
Ruy112
Partisan
Partisan

Number of posts : 1623

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:01 am

It can be either north cap or south cap, I'd merely need to rotate the map.

Also, "Above, it is merely very cold." I thought it was hot at the equator? Confuse

I'm not a huge fan of mountains encompassing the entire edge, however, definitely a lot.
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 7344

http://3mptylord.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:21 am

Yeah, I was only thinking 40-60%... I mean...There's gonna be a huge gap for the polar regions as the glaciers kinda blasted it. I'd imagine several other large gaps...areas where it used to be but now isn't
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by Zectiox Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:24 am

how does the lakes working again? you know.. if this is high up in the sky, we need somekind of underground system for the water to be there at all.. or can it be there as ordinary pillars of water Tongue

anyway awesome idea of the edge-idea.
Zectiox
Zectiox
Advocate

Number of posts : 743

Back to top Go down

Post by MorbiusMonster Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:28 am

U2 owns.
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Number of posts : 2641

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:37 am

I think you're misunderstanding how powerful the Mouths are. The circumplanetary storm is full of water, and the mouths are constantly pumping it into pallis, and that's not even accounting for mistrise.
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:43 am

Also, Pallis has clouds... so it rains normally too.
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:52 am

Dark Avorian wrote:Yeah, I was only thinking 40-60%... I mean...There's gonna be a huge gap for the polar regions as the glaciers kinda blasted it. I'd imagine several other large gaps...areas where it used to be but now isn't

I've got about 40-50, I think. (I'm adding now)... it's sort of top-left and bottom-right, with some in the middle too (not included in ratio).
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zectiox Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:49 am

do the lakes... flood over the surroundings? that makes the surrounding lands fertile? or is it not possible.. just a thought.. to much rain = flood. A just-IF-thought
Zectiox
Zectiox
Advocate

Number of posts : 743

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:00 am

Meh 40-50 aint bad...
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:44 am

Well there was water in the way... Tongue
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down