The Suggestion Site
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Azzain Spellbook

5 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The Azzain Spellbook Empty The Azzain Spellbook

Post by Dragon78114 Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:02 am

Alright, well, since you all know I am overhauling my Axar series. Well, what is also included is a new spellbook, and since it is part of the series it also will be overhauled.

Where it is right now, well, let's just say it needs work and I need a little help. I'm thinking about completely redoing the spellbook and thus that would mean I am redoing the entire series after it is released. That means Quests 6, 7, 8, and 9 will have to change with its changes, especially Quests 6 and 7 where you use Azzain magic to solve puzzles.

Right now, I am aiming for every spell to have a combative AND non-combative use. It is this duality, I hope, that will really make this spellbook appealing.

Currently there are two main types of spells:

Puppet spells, which virtually make your opponent a figure of your control while ruthlessly dealing considerable damage.

Command spells, which do nasty things to your target to have the battle shift in your favor and make your target an object of your will and control

Also....

A new rune shall be used to make these dominating spells:

Duress Runes They are new runes which have the pure controlling magic of Hector. They must be used to use any spell in the Azzain Spellbook. A Duress Rune can be created by dipping an earth rune in the waters of Hector's Birthplace, with of course an adequate runecrafting level. Thak you Handeath for the idea! Smile

Last edited by Dragon78114 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:51 am; edited 8 times in total
Dragon78114
Dragon78114
Partisan
Partisan

Number of posts : 1668

Back to top Go down

The Azzain Spellbook Empty Re: The Azzain Spellbook

Post by MorbiusMonster Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:11 am

Puppetry spells...

These sound mildly interesting, but how will they work on certain creatures? Will some players or monster be more accomplished at occlumency and rid themselves of the influence?
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Number of posts : 2641

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon78114 Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:16 am

Well the way the spell works can be explained through this analogy: you are puppeteer and your opponent is the puppet. You send the initial damage out, bonding you to your puppet and damaging the puppet at a constant rate. But to break this attachment, the puppet has to act upon his or her accord to break this bond, inflicting damage on itself; this bond is called a Puppet Presence and can get quite deadly.
Dragon78114
Dragon78114
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon78114 Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:21 am

Now, I have considered it useful for PVP, since one can break free by attacking the Puppeteer, but I haven't really considered it for monsters. I guess the would just have to attack the Puppeteer also.
Dragon78114
Dragon78114
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Handeath Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:09 pm

Do you remember my suggestions?
Handeath
Handeath
Advocate

Number of posts : 955

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon78114 Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:44 pm

yes, yes. controlling your opponent to attack his/her friend?
Dragon78114
Dragon78114
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Handeath Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:00 am

And himself. I think this spellbook should revolve around the concept of controling your 'domain,' you can control a target (or many?) within a certain area, which also ties into the Priests' grand plan Tongue, hence meleers will suffer against these mages. The inital puppet spell can be followed up with several others for stronger effects, such as Ward Spells which shares damage dealt to you with your puppet, Tension spells which deal damage and pull the target to you, Charge spells which can mark the target for further damage (I'm personally a little iffy with the seeds and such), and Discard Spells which deal damage based on how long your target has been in your command.

The Imagine Spells are perfect for Skill spells. Smile
Handeath
Handeath
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon78114 Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:25 pm

Controlling within a certain area...hm... I don't want to give the puppeteer too much power over the puppet... but those are incredible suggestions.

I do have 5 strengths of these puppet spells each with increasing potency and deadliness, requiring high defense and magic levels, like the strongest is only usable at level 99 magic and 85 defense.

I like those discard spells...That is what I imagined what these spells would be like; now for this to work, the player must have a constant use of runes. Like have the spell run for a constant 6 secs until the game will use up the runes for another spell for another 6 secs until the player can physically break the bonds, assuming that the puppet has full motion. Otherwise if the player is completely frozen, it will be an immediate death sentence.

The Tension spells can add an interesting twist...

Hm... Interesting suggestion for charge spells; I had in mind the traditional "charge" concept: improve familiar pouches and scrolls and charge those grenades.

Yeah...those seeds were going to be a strange grenade-like thing where it adds on to farming and magic. I can cut them, but that means I will have to redo the final scene in Axar IV.... hm... and make your character figure another means to solve the bombing crisis...
Dragon78114
Dragon78114
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon78114 Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:27 am

I need to scrap those seed things so yeah. Expect the final scene of Axar IV to change.
Dragon78114
Dragon78114
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Handeath Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:39 pm

Ooh, and when the Puppet Presence is broken due to the physical distance (target gets too far) both the Master and the Target take damage. Who takes how much is up to you.
Handeath
Handeath
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon78114 Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:07 pm

hm… sounds devious… Twisted Evil I'll consider that. Although, no matter how cool that sounds, that'll probably be reserved for the Master Puppet Spell which can only be casted at level 99 magic and 85 defense and deal only a slight rate of damage.
Dragon78114
Dragon78114
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Handeath Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:53 pm

It would make a high-risk, high-reward spellbook, kind of like dictatorship. Twisted Evil
Handeath
Handeath
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon78114 Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:11 pm

^good idea

and now that quest #5 is out and about, I should start re-planning it before I begin rewriting the next four quests which rely extensively on Azzain magic.
Dragon78114
Dragon78114
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon78114 Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:17 pm

Alright; when I was working I came in to a dilemma:

Since these spells are so abrstract and "new" would a new rune be necessary; I mean one man crafted every spell in the new spellbook himself.

I'm thinking of a rune which looks like the new one. On it has the insignia of The Azzai and is turquoise surrounded by a gold trim.

The Azzain Spellbook Runes10

I have no earthly idea if a new rune is necessary, but who knows; it might and I need your opinion.

I don't know how they'll be created…or bought…if I do intend on created a new rune, I'll definitely consider it. (Maybe the Runecrafting Altar is in the Cave of Sand…)

I don't even know what levels it will require and everything….and the abyss will get screwed over (or maybe they will be produced by those Armadyl runes…!)

Last edited by Dragon78114 on Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dragon78114
Dragon78114
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Handeath Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:19 am

Personally, I feel like runes are reserved for elements (Blood really bothers me). What is the spellbook about in the first place?
Handeath
Handeath
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon78114 Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:06 am

Hm… you're right. But Armadyl Runes aren't.

The idea behind the spell book in the context of the story is for the player to learn The Azzai's magic to perhaps benefit from it during the rebellion which will happen in the proceeding three quests.

In the context of the game as a whole: it can incorporate the many things you did in the series elsewhere and can spice up magic and combat also.
Dragon78114
Dragon78114
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Handeath Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:06 am

I'm still a fan of the mind-control/Puppet theme. That goes well with the leadership theme of the quest.
Handeath
Handeath
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon78114 Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:02 am

I mean the idea surrounding the spells reflects the ideas of control, power, and domination.

I guess gaining The Azzai's spell book represents a power struggle gaining momentum as you become nearly equal in power to Rodiniya, and eventually the High Priest. (of course with the help of the Zarr Clan).

So if this is true, to to keep this spell book separate, the new rune will be available. I'll call rune a different name; perhaps, "Force rune"? Tongue

I see it now! Force runes can only be powered in the Waters of the Elid... the location of where you complete the Devotion Project (also the Fabled birthplace of Hector).

Well you'll need pure essence, maybe a sample of the water, and maybe bring it to the chaos or mind altar to have the runes be formed.
Dragon78114
Dragon78114
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Handeath Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:30 pm

I'll talk about this tomorrow, but a few notes for my sake:

Puppet Spells: controling others - mind control - combos, breaking/maintaining puppet presence - struggle

Duress Runes (see definition of duress) - Dipping an Earth Rune waters of the Elid.
Handeath
Handeath
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon78114 Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:08 pm

Hm... That seems a little too simple; the magic from the river wouldn't infuse into the rune. There needs to be some sort of catalyst to speed up the process...
Dragon78114
Dragon78114
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by MorbiusMonster Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:45 pm

It's missing a rune...
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Number of posts : 2641

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon78114 Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:53 pm

Armadyl rune? eh. It didn't exist when I made the pic. The idea of the pic is show what the new one I am proposing would look like.
Dragon78114
Dragon78114
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Handeath Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:50 am

Now for my full thoughts on making Spellbooks, the Azzain Spellbook in particular:

Spoiler:
Handeath
Handeath
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon78114 Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:53 pm

So what you are suggesting is that this spell book should be composed of multiple amounts of spell books, rather than one? There can be various levels of spell, like in the Ancients, but even then they take upon levels and don't require a new skill.

Perhaps the role of Finisher Spells and Control spells could be blended? Three types of specific spells just to get high results seems ridiculously complicated.

"But the odds are against you, Presence wears off after a certain amount of time (increasing with level) if a Puppet Spell isn't cast on the same target again within this time period. Furthermore, if the target manages to run far away from the source of the Presence (a distance increasing with level), the Presence will discharge, dealing up to a certain amount of damage (increasing with level), 60% to the caster, 40% to the escapee."

Hm... Perhaps if the puppet runs away or attacks the puppeteer and the Presence must be broken, it would cause the damage. Maybe it won't cause damage if it wears off with time; a temporary reduction to your defense level would be more logical (the magic is basically controlling the puppet with the magical energy from your soul).

Perhaps there could be a Command Stillness, causing your target to freeze, or Command Self-mutilation, forcing your puppet to attack him or herself (for a limited use per time limit).

"The Skill Spells' theme should match the combat skills, controlling resources to give more rarer loot, to increase yeilds for short period of time, etc."

So these spells will have an added affect of bonus rewards from a monster/player the person killed? That would eliminate the need for a ring of wealth and totally make PvP ungodly scary and unbalanced, although it does prove an incentive to use these high-risk spells. That would be like an Imaging spell. Perhaps a return of fantastic exp for successful spells?

The point about vulnerability makes sense; I was actually thinking about adding that twist in to balance the spells' massive power. Although, if I were to use these spells, I would continuously find one vs. one situations, unless you could produce group Command spells, but if you do, they'll have to be weak.
Dragon78114
Dragon78114
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Handeath Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:01 pm

As a disclaimer (I feel like this should be said soon rather than later), you have the ultimate say in these things, as it is your quest and spellbook, so I am going to continuously mold my ideas to what you say, but I will stand my ground. Expect me to shift my position often, I only want the best for this spellbook. Wink

Dragon78114 wrote:So what you are suggesting is that this spell book should be composed of multiple amounts of spell books, rather than one? There can be various levels of spell, like in the Ancients, but even then they take upon levels and don't require a new skill.

I never said that. I simply said that each spellbook has multiple sections to it, chapters if you will. Just look at the Modern Spellbook, it has Combat, Skills, and Teleports (a chapter I never mentioned).

Dragon78114 wrote:Perhaps the role of Finisher Spells and Control spells could be blended? Three types of specific spells just to get high results seems ridiculously complicated.

They are! Sorry if what I said was a little ambiguous. Finishers are simply a kind of Control/Command spell that have levels to them while the others don't really have a progression, they all are of moderate power because many Commands are meant to be used over the course of a fight. (By levels, I've been meaning an increase in whatever, like Strike/Bolt/Blast/Wave/Surge)

Dragon78114 wrote:"But the odds are against you, Presence wears off after a certain amount of time (increasing with level) if a Puppet Spell isn't cast on the same target again within this time period. Furthermore, if the target manages to run far away from the source of the Presence (a distance increasing with level), the Presence will discharge, dealing up to a certain amount of damage (increasing with level), 60% to the caster, 40% to the escapee."

Hm... Perhaps if the puppet runs away or attacks the puppeteer and the Presence must be broken, it would cause the damage. Maybe it won't cause damage if it wears off with time; a temporary reduction to your defense level would be more logical (the magic is basically controlling the puppet with the magical energy from your soul).

Having the Presence break simply with being attacked would render the spellbook not worth it, what we have now works. But a reduction in Defence when the presence fades does make sense as you say.

Dragon78114 wrote:Perhaps there could be a Command Stillness, causing your target to freeze, or Command Self-mutilation, forcing your puppet to attack him or herself (for a limited use per time limit).

The more Commands the better!

Dragon78114 wrote:"The Skill Spells' theme should match the combat skills, controlling resources to give more rarer loot, to increase yeilds for short period of time, etc."

So these spells will have an added affect of bonus rewards from a monster/player the person killed? That would eliminate the need for a ring of wealth and totally make PvP ungodly scary and unbalanced, although it does prove an incentive to use these high-risk spells. That would be like an Imaging spell. Perhaps a return of fantastic exp for successful spells?

I was refering to Resource skills, such as Hunter, Mining, Fishing.

Dragon78114 wrote:The point about vulnerability makes sense; I was actually thinking about adding that twist in to balance the spells' massive power. Although, if I were to use these spells, I would continuously find one vs. one situations, unless you could produce group Command spells, but if you do, they'll have to be weak.

Could you elaborate? Meow
Handeath
Handeath
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next