The Suggestion Site
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Slayer

3 posters

Go down

Slayer Empty Slayer

Post by Nitetrain8 Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:27 am

GG psychoboy is a noob and forgot this skill!

Anyway, I propose that the current slayer system receive a superficial overhaul to make it not suck ****. The current system makes very little sense at all- theoretically, you could eventually learn how to kill a super duper big bad demon from the abyss between dimensions by wacking goblins with your fists for awhile. It really does not make sense how the lightswitch suddenly goes on for how to kill a monster, especially in the cases of monsters where there is no apparent special reason they should not die to any nub who comes around swinging a maul. This is most obvious in the cases of the lowest level monsters- gee, it really takes a smart guy to figure out how to smash that cave bug.

Instead, at each respective level where a player learns how to kill a slayer monster, he now learns how to use a special slayer attack that either weakens the monster's defenses to leave them vulnerable, or deals damage to a specific weakness. The slayer ability would be selected similar to the way magic autocast abilities are selected- with a special submenu operated in the exact same fashion but used with melee attack styles instead.

Quick compare/contrast example: bloodvelds. Bloodvelds look, quite literally, like giant blubbering ********. They're short, fat, and would be exceptionally easy to hit with any weapon, ever. The only possible explanation for why a nub can't kill one and I can is that I'm super duper smart and I hit the damn thing's tongue with my weapon to weaken it, rather than its normally-impervious body. The shock of having its tongue smacked leaves it unable to brace itself against my attacks for the remainder of the fight, letting me own its ass. Since it would be really gay to have to manually select the slayer ability for every single kill, in this case the game automatically uses the special slayer skill as detailed above for the first hit to deal initial damage and weaken the monster, and then simple beats the crap out of the rest of it a la normal.

I would also propose that at each respective level of acquiring a new skill, you are given the option of being assigned x number of that slayer monster to kill as a special miniquest- where the slayer master explains the new skill, and allows you to use it. To keep people from exploiting the system by simply ignoring the crappy slayer monster quests, no new skill may be learned until the former's miniquest has been finished. Also, gay slayer monsters like killerwatts that require quests to be completed would either not be included or simply overlooked until the prerequisite quest was completed. Why? Because questing sucks, especially when the reward is opening the door for potential slayer tasks in an area gauranteed to give you a seizure.

Obviously, not every single slayer monster would require some super-duper special skill to learn- many monsters that use special items like fungicide or a rock hammer would simply slap an arbitrary slayer level requirement on the needed item. However, monsters like turoth or cave horrors where the reason for requiring a special slayer item is retarded would still need a special skill to be learned.

All slayer monsters now give bonus exp equal to half their hitpoints when killed, regardless of whether they are your current slayer task. This means that a tasked slayer monster gives 150% of its HP as exp, and a non-tasked monster gives, obviously, 50%. This adds a bit of "this makes sense" into the realm of slayer, so that getting out and actually killing the monsters that are supposed to be hard to kill gives more benefit than killing monkeys, etc.

A slayer helmet would always work against these monsters, as well, giving a modified accuracy/damage/RANGED/MAGIC bonus equal to (slayer level/6)%, up to the current max of 15% (level 90 for those interested). This rewards those slayers who stuck it out long enough to earn the helmet and levels, and gives a very strong incentive to spend time killing some monsters that are otherwise rarely killed, such as bloodvelds and abberant spectres. Obviously, the helmet/mask would still provide a 15% boost regardless of level if the slayer monster you are killing is also your assigned task, but the magic and ranged components would still reflect your current levels only.

These changes in total would transform a skill that is still somewhat bland and fundimentally uninteresting into an intriguing, incredibly rewarding skill with a more epic feel and complex dynamic. Yes I understand that slayer is already superawesome and all that, but given that the health of an MMO ultimately comes down to how it functions within its PvE and PvP environments, and thus having the most powerful/useful skill related directly to one's ability to kill powerful monsters can be only a benefit.

Nitetrain8
Initiate

Number of posts : 86

Back to top Go down

Slayer Empty Re: Slayer

Post by Nitetrain8 Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:29 am

Another possibility is having the slayer helmet (but not black mask) provide a flat (slayerlevel/6)% boost to accuracy/damage/range/mage straight up instead of only on slayer monsters, but the balancing issues this brings into question are probably more significant that the realism of allowing you to kill things more efficiently based on your abilities as a "slayer".

Nitetrain8
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:06 pm

For Magic and Range, why not have different masks that you make into a helmet? Black for Melee, Brown for Range and Tan for Magic (all rather bland of course, one can't have a really bright colour while melee is black).

As for a lot of the above, I agree, but would it be possible to kill a slayer creature without the special attack? It'd just be incredibally slow and you are likely to waste all your supplies before nearly killing an un-weakaned slayer creature. Also, all Slayer creatures that require an item should have a finishing move/cinematic that auto-uses the required item in an awesome killing notion.
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 7344

http://3mptylord.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Nitetrain8 Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:22 am

Psychoboy8 wrote:For Magic and Range, why not have different masks that you make into a helmet? Black for Melee, Brown for Range and Tan for Magic (all rather bland of course, one can't have a really bright colour while melee is black).

I dunno what you're talking about, black is awesome. Maybe because I'm all dark and emo inside Sad *slits wrists*. Having multiple masks would be very interesting but very much a pain in the ass, kind of like trying to tell which monkey greegree is which.

As for a lot of the above, I agree, but would it be possible to kill a slayer creature without the special attack? It'd just be incredibally slow and you are likely to waste all your supplies before nearly killing an un-weakaned slayer creature.

In a psuedo-possible sense, yes it would be possible. However, the damage you dealt would be limited to 0 or 1, and accuracy would be very poor. The monster would have an accelerated base healing rate- an unweakened monster can easily reciprocate from attacks- that would effectively balance out the damage rate, even at 99 attack/str with super pots, salve(e)ammy/slayer helm and piety. Obviously if you hit the one in 10^40 odds of hitting nothing but 1s, you would be able to kill it- but if you're that desperate to kill a slayer monster to spend decades attacking it, my hat is off to you.

Also, all Slayer creatures that require an item should have a finishing move/cinematic that auto-uses the required item in an awesome killing notion.

This is a decent idea, but the only monster off the top of my head that would receive an animation from this is gargoyles, who need to be finished off with a rock hammer. Since most items are used to weaken the monster rather than finish it off, their animation would come as soon as the fight starts. If you really want to cater to eye-candy, then you could have a special little animation for each slayer monster death, but it is unnecessary and should only be used for aesthetic reasons after the rest of the slayer improvments have been made.

Nitetrain8
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by TATORZ Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:51 am

I agree with the experience ideas... pretty much everything that's posted here Tongue
TATORZ
TATORZ
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Number of posts : 2458

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:35 am

I found this idea of mine when scowering said thread;

Trevlacsnow wrote:
|-Please select one of the following 4 tasks;---|
| -------------------------------------------------------- |
|---------------- Fire Giants -------------121 --------|
|---------------- Trolls ---------------------145 -------|
|---------------- Bronze Dragons ------ 64 ---------|
|---------------- Dark Mages ------------ 160 -------|
| -------------------------------------------------------- |

Note that, in his suggestion, the player would only ever receive this option if they activate the Ring of Charos when collecting a task, like chosing your cat's colour - this was my response. Smile

Psychoboy8 wrote:
I really like that idea, we should always have it... but when, for example, if I chose Fire Giants, when I come back there will be a new fourth option - but all the others will be the same. With the Ring of Charos (a) you could trick your master into thinking you've already completed the task, thus giving you the template again!

"Errmmm... I choose the Fire Giants!"
"Okay, go and kill 121 Fire Giants."
[ring of charos option]
"Okay, finished..."
"What, already?!"
"Yeah, could I have another task please?"
"Sure, go ahead..."

This wouldn't work twice, because if you try again the following senario will happen...

"Errmmm... I choose the Fire Giants!"
"Okay, go and kill 121 Fire Giants."
[ring of charos option]
"Okay, finished..."
"What, already?!"
"Yeah, could I have another task please?"
"Sure, go ahead..."
"Errmmm... I choose the Trolls!"
"Okay, go and kill 145 Trolls"
[ring of charos option]
"Okay, finished..."
*glances at the clock"
"Don't try that one young man/madam... I'm not that stupid you know!"
"Okay... see ya then [insert name]."
"Good luck!"

Of course, conversations will depend on the master and their way of speaking Smile
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 7344

http://3mptylord.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Nitetrain8 Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:39 pm

I don't really like that idea. It takes slayer training from being varied and interesting (ideally anyway) and makes it slightly bland again. There is already a system in place to prevent you from being stuck with a sucky slayer task- burthope. If the slayer system was changed as you proposed, the amount of points required for each reward would have to be *significantly* increased, since the point of the point system (grrr puns) is to reward you for completing tasks that you might otherwise avoid. If you really want to make some similar change to slayer, do the following:

Purchasable for *500* slayer points (the max I believe..? meh)
Ability to choose between two slayer tasks per trip back to the slayer master.

System: You will be given *two* tasks at the same time. The whole slayer assignment is completed when you kill the designated amount of either monster, whether you kill 200 of one and 0 of the other, or 200 of one and 199 of the other.

Nitetrain8
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down