The Suggestion Site
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mythics: The Counter-Equipment

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Mythics: The Counter-Equipment - Page 2 Empty Mythics: The Counter-Equipment

Post by Dark Avorian Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:37 am

First topic message reminder :

The Counter Items:

What are they? How do we get them?

Personally I still like my Heracles idea, but apparently that's not what you had planned so you're all horrified.
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Number of posts : 3550
Location : Within the hallowed halls of the mighty, those known only as nobles.

Back to top Go down

Mythics: The Counter-Equipment - Page 2 Empty Re: Mythics: The Counter-Equipment

Post by Dark Avorian Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:46 am

We move the clock hands to just before 12 o'clock

HA!

Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Mythics: The Counter-Equipment - Page 2 Empty Re: Mythics: The Counter-Equipment

Post by The Empty Lord Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:09 am

So the Chronarch's Throne is only to reverse time when a mythic isn't available to pull you through? Smile

Also, I still don't get the clock hands bit. Confuse
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 7344

http://3mptylord.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon78114 Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:12 am

HOLD ON! I have no idea WTF you guys are talking about! I agree with 3mpty!
Dragon78114
Dragon78114
Partisan
Partisan

Number of posts : 1668

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:15 am

I like the piggybacking, but yeah, the weird clock thing confuzzles me... be VERY laymans.
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:35 am

Basic Assumption: the guild operates on strict 12-hour time loop. Events separated by either time or need or random design are faded so that the guild is not just shoulder-shoulder crowds.

The position you are in, in guild time, is indicated by the big clock in the center. This is unrelated to outer time, where you are anchored to whatever time you entered from.

So as to facilitate the working of the quest, there is a clock by the gate. This clock does not move. This clock can be however be changed by you. If you change the clock to read 1:55 you will enter the guild at 1:55 guild time. Everything that ever happened or ever will happen in the guild at 1:55 guild time is happening as you enter.

-------------------------

The Chronarch's Throne: the Chronarch's throne is an artifact made by the founder of the guild (not Hercules, I'm f*cking sick of Heracles at this point) The founder is some guy who found the guild as I described earlier...and made it accessible across time...or alternatively he was the only person ever to find it without the guild structure and then built it...He was the Chronarch and through some crazy shit made the looping-ever-present-time-mindfuck-guild! It has precision timetravel based on need, and it anchors you to your own time, so no grabbing yourself to get back.
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:51 am

I'm still confused as to the need of the clock to access the different time periods - the throne allows for nonpiggyback timetravelling?

Heracles is not to be included in the quest, he will feature in the guild but not the quest. Smile

Also, if we do use the clock, it should be a single hand... Smile
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:56 am

Mythics: The Counter-Equipment - Page 2 Guild10

FOR THE BLUEPRINT OF THE GUILD

a - The Gate
b - Big Clock #1
c - Durial's Position
d - Walkway
e - Relic's/Statues/Whateffuckyouwant?
f - Big Clock #2
g - Chronarch's Throne

Time:Not so Layman-y

Imagine normal, world time as an infinite piece of string. Lying parallel to this string is an infinite stack of discs. This is guild time. The only effect that entering at different times has, is which disc you step onto. People in every disc can see people in discs near them. The farther away in actual time you are, the fainter you are to each other, until at a certain cutoff point you basically disappear.

The diagram of time is meant to indicate that from world time you can step to any point in the loop of guild time, but no matter where you exit guild time, you will always return to world time at the exact moment you entered guild time from world time originally.

to make the guild stomachable for humans, the creator of the space has built in a 12-hour loop (when you loop you are just going around one disc, not progressing forward in time at all) so that they can process things in their normal way.

The twist (you will see the joke) is that need can fold guild time back on itself, pressing discs separated by vast spans of time together and alllowing their inhabitants too interact.

The clock is for convenience, it allows you to pick where along the disc loop you want to enter. 1:55 guild time? 2:47? 7:13? none of it matters in the grand sense of where you are, it's jsut to enable humans and other beings used to world time to function within the guild.
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:54 am

I'm sure it all works, I'm just really struggling to imagine it. I can see why I'm so frustrating half the time. Wink

So we have time; a straight line from A and B that is infinitely long. And we have the guild (and probably other anomalies that matter not to this) which exists outside of time, and is fixed to no single point on it.

From our world, we enter through the gate which acts as a portal to the guild. Within the guild you are present on a pane/disc, through which you can see a span of time into the past and future until they become too distant to make out (although they are technically there).

Trying to fathom it I've confused myself over the whole piggybacking...

You can only see echoes and omens on one side of the gate, within the guild. Surely if you pull an echo/omen out they will be present next to you in the real world? As you're exiting the guild...?

*cries a little*
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeeves Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:16 pm

I gotcha! That is an excellent way for time to be. Pleased Now....how to actually incorporate it in the quest and make it so that the player *knows* that's what's going on and that it will actually be workable in some way?
Jeeves
Jeeves
Advocate

Number of posts : 606

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:19 pm

Me and Tom sorta tried to think this through. Essentially it all works by need, and it will place you at whatever point in the guild-time loop it thinks you need to be.

More importantly, I've got an amusing alternative to the current Omen method that makes it impossible for us to screw with it in the future.

As you watch Durial step through the gate, you hear soft footsteps behind you. You turn to face the man beside you. He seems to have something shiny hidden under his cloak.

"Hello Callum, can you pull me through the gate with you? I need to get this shiny thing back to our time. That damnable cloak you gave Durial has been hellish to deal with. Why did you have to help him? the damn guild seems to conveniently now not notice my need to stop him."

"Stop him? Who are you?"

"Don't bother yourself Callum, it's probably no big deal. Assuming of course you pull me through the gate with you."

After you pull the strange man through the gate, you re-enter the guild. Some curious things have clearly been going on, and the Guild is at the center of it.

When you step into the guild, a man is blocking your path with something quite large strapped to his back.

"Callum! Thank the deities you're here. I need you to pull me to your time. Only place I can steel myself to stop that madman. You really had to go and help him didn't you? Well, I guess the guild does what the guild wants, and to hell with our mortal ambitions. He thinks Guthix destroyed his people, He's not evil, just a misguided man driven crazy by loss and given some of the most powerful weapons in any age."

"Wha--?"

"Come on, there's no time to lose...well actually, I guess it doesn't really matter, what with this damn guild's time magic."

"Could you please explain."

"I've been pretty clear. You gave Durial everything he needed, just htink about it."

"Bu--but"

"Augh! Why am I always so nice to you, just get me through this damn gate before I snap."

After you pull the second man through, and enter once more, you see a third man with something cupped in his palms.

"Callum. Get me through the gate. Durial thinks Guthix destroyed his home, he wants to kill Guthix, We need this to block the mortality potion. Oh, and you should really get to work on getting the stuff you'll need to stop him."

"But aren't you three going to stop him?"

"Us three...? Oh yes, we three. Anyway, we shouldn't have been so misleading, you need to stop him, or it'll all be crap for you!"
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:08 pm

I'm not sure we'd repeat the information each time, given we have already told them once last time we spoke to them... assuming you pull them back in chronological order (obviously if the third one we speak to is the first one we become it's a bit more complicated).

Sorry, that's being pedantic... yeah, that's the premise.

I've got to say I preferred the previous take. When we helped ourselves before aiding Durial, and then snapped at him. It was just more comical. Smile
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruy112 Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:44 pm

I like the model for time Smile
Ruy112
Ruy112
Partisan
Partisan

Number of posts : 1623

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeeves Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:09 am

Yeah, I kind of liked your first dialogue as well, Dark. Tongue Gave it a comical touch as well as a sort of...awe-inspiring, "I'm about to go on one hell of a quest" moment.
Jeeves
Jeeves
Advocate

Number of posts : 606

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon78114 Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:07 pm

wow. this took me over a year to reply.

but anyway, the dynamic of this quest is interesting running in to your future selves, warning you about the dangers of Durial, but it might be impractical to program since how the hell would the game know what you look like after such a crazy quest like this? -.-
Dragon78114
Dragon78114
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:13 pm

Echos and omens have limited detailed appearance. Also, we could always force what the player will look like through a controlled combat situation: "you shouldn't take more than you need, I'd leave everything else here." Thus, when you return you're wearing your base get-up. Wink
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon78114 Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:45 am

like make the player play combat without armor...or with a certain set?

Maybe restrict the attire for people in the guild? That might make more sense.
Dragon78114
Dragon78114
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:13 am

I think it'd probably be better if we controlled the ending more than anything.

"I wouldn't take anything more than you're happy to lose... leave all the unnecessaries behind."
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2