The Suggestion Site
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Preaching to the Masses

+3
Dark Avorian
Zectiox
Handeath
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Preaching to the Masses Empty Preaching to the Masses

Post by Handeath Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:33 am

INTRODUCTION:
Prayer is a fighter’s best friend, but a wallet’s worst enemy. The skill is infamous for being one of the more expensive, as the only way to train it is to buy remains and use them at the Ectofuntus or a Chapel in a Player-owned House. Although the introduction of Demon Ashes and Urns help, they still require the use of thousands of remains. This is where Distractions & Diversions come in. While these activities can only be used weekly and are unconventional, they can provide excellent Xp in a certain skill, along with other rewards.

Have you ever noticed that several churches across Runescape have little to no worshipers? The most attended church is Father Lawrence’s church in north-east Varrock, and everyone is fast asleep! I think many priests would appreciate our help in preaching their god’s message to the masses.

TABLE OF CONTENTS:
Key: Topic – (Page Number, Post Number - Page Number, Post Number)
Introduction and Table of Contents – (1, 121)
Getting Started – (1, 2)
Oration – (1, 3)
Locations – (1, 4)
Rewards – (1, 5 – 1, 6)
FAQ – (1, 7)
Miscellaneous – (1, 8)

Last edited by Handeath on Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:37 am; edited 2 times in total
Handeath
Handeath
Advocate

Number of posts : 955

Back to top Go down

Preaching to the Masses Empty Re: Preaching to the Masses

GETTING STARTED:
Preaching to the Masses is a weekly D&D that you can start by speaking to the priest at one of several altars. Each altar is devoted to one of Runescape’s main gods, but preaching about him/her has a Prayer requirement and, for some gods, a Quest Requirement.
Handeath
Handeath
Advocate

Back to top Go down

ORATION:
Once you have started the activity, the camera will be zoomed in on you standing in front of the congregation (sorry for using church terms). In this activity, you will have a certain goal (more on that in a bit), which is accomplished by choosing the right words, similar to in “Gunnar’s Ground,” and you are scored based on how well you do. However, your word choice will reward you more, or less, points. The choice may be as obvious as “My fellow disciples,” and “yo, n00bs,” but the true test lies in the subtleties of statements. Speaking like an intellectual in front of Bandos-worshipping goblins won’t score you as many points as you could earn.
However, you can choose between several activities (for lack of a better word), the harder they are, the more points you can earn.

Sermon – Level 10 Prayer:
Difficulty – Easy
In this activity, you have to preach some message about the god (e.g. preaching about war if you are giving a Sermon on Bandos). The challenge of this activity is to simply find the right words to appeal to your audience while focusing on the god.

Wedding Rites/Blessing/Last Rites – Level 20 Prayer:
Difficulty – Easy
While these are similar to Sermons, you will have to focus more on the audience through the philosophy of the god and use words appropriate for the occasion.

Conversion – Level 30 Prayer:
Difficulty – Medium
You may simply have a conversation with someone who doesn’t believe in your god. Although the focus is quite obviously telling your audience about your god, you must carefully choose your words, as s/he will argue against you and quite possibly back you into a corner!

Ritual – Level 40 Prayer:
Difficulty – Hard
Not only will you have to say the right words in this activity, you’ll also have to go through motions! Don’t worry, you can have an idea of what you have to do by studying the normal priest.

Moreover, there is a final method to boost your points: wearing gear belonging to your god. Although you need to match the occasion (wearing full Saradomin Dragonhide to a Wedding will not go well!), this can easily give you bonus points. Wielding a God Book is also rather useful. By using 25% of your Special Energy, you can immediately use the correct action.

Last edited by Handeath on Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:12 am; edited 2 times in total
Handeath
Handeath
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by Handeath Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:34 am

LOCATIONS:
Although the requirements become progressively more difficult, the rate of Xp (to be determined by Jagex) remains the same so that you can support your god of choice without missing out. Wink

Saradomin – No requirement
Location – Church in North-East Varrock
Priest – Father Lawrence
Activities – Sermon, Wedding Rites (Romeo and Juliet?), Last Rites

Zamorak – No requirement
Location – Chaos Temple northeast of the Goblin Village/in the Wilderness (I can’t decide)
Priest – Gregory
Activities – Sermon, Blessing, Conversion

Guthix – Completion of “Druidic Ritual”
Location – Taverly’s Stone Circle
Priest – Kaqemeex
Activities – Sermon, Conversion, Ritual

Bandos – Completion of “Land of the Goblins,” Being a Goblin
Location – Plain of Mud, north of East Ardougne
Priest – High Priest (of Goblins)
Activities – Sermon, Blessing, Last Rites

Armadyl – Completion of “Temple of Ikov”
Location – Guardians of Armadyl Headquarters, Beneath McGrubor's Wood (use of the trapdoor with a Shiny Key is recommended)
Priestess – Mary
Activities – Sermon, Blessing, Ritual

Seren – Started “Mourning Ends Part I”
Location – Lletya
Priestess – Addoli
Activities – Sermon, Wedding, Ritual

Desert Pantheon – Completion of “Contact!”
Location – Sophanem
Priest – Jex
Activities – Sermon, Blessing, Ritual

Zaros – Completion of “The Temple at Senntisten”
Location – Senntisten Temple, underneath the Digsite
Priest – Azzanadra
Activities – Sermon, Conversion, Ritual

Last edited by Handeath on Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Handeath
Handeath
Advocate

Back to top Go down

REWARDS:
In addition to the somewhat generous Prayer Xp you receive by completing the D&D, you may also receive one of three additional rewards: Knowledge, a Blessing, or the pure satisfaction of acting on your god’s behalf. Preaching to the Masses 3079

Knowledge:
Each god will give you some knowledge Cool-10k Xp, depending on the number of points you received) in any combat skill, complete with a message!

Saradomin – Tome of Order
You learn how to fight better in times of stress through Saradomin’s philosophy of Order.

Zamorak – Tome of Chaos
Your thrill-seeking impulses surge as Zamorak’s philosophy of Chaos resounds in your mind.

Guthix – Tome of Balance
You feel more serene and aware as Guthix’s philosophy of Balance prepares you for battle.

Bandos – Tome of War
Bandos’ words on War stir you to dominate all who oppose you.

Armadyl – Tome of Law
Armadyl’s Laws improve your view of everything around you.

Seren – Elfish Tome
Seren’s songs whisper in your ear, helping you have a better understanding of your surroundings.

Desert Pantheon – Sandy Tome
You learn of the battles that took place in the desert and among the gods.

Zaros – Ancient Tome
From the shadows, Zaros’ tells you of his conquests, giving you a better understanding of combat.

Last edited by Handeath on Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:17 am; edited 2 times in total
Handeath
Handeath
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Auras:
If you have earned a hefty amount of points, the god may do you a favor by blessing you with an Aura. Like Xuan’s Auras, these auras are equipable and bankable. However, they last for 20 minutes before crumbling to dust can’t be used in PvP or Daemonheim. Other restrictions should apply as necessary.

Saradomin – Thunder Charge
You have a small chance of being healed by a fraction of the damage you deal.
When activating this aura, you have a blue aura and lightning cackles around you.

Zamorak – Fires of Havoc
Your max hit is boosted by 10%.
When activating this aura, you have a red aura and flames flicker around you.

Guthix – Equalizer
When fighting an enemy stronger than you, your combat levels will be boosted slightly depending on how big the difference between your levels is.
When activating this aura, you have a green aura as leaves float around you.

Bandos – Supremacy
No enemies lowered leveled than you will be aggressive, except for enemies who are devoted against you, such as monsters in the God Wars Dungeon whom your equipment doesn’t ally with.
When activating this aura, you have a brown aura as the ground cracks beneath your feat.

Armadyl – Avian Eye
The camera zooms out, giving you a larger field of sight. Moreover, your range, when using the Ranged or Magic combat styles, is increased by 1 square.
When activating this aura, you have a white aura and winds whip around you.

Seren – Grace
Status effects towards you are decreased by 10% of their full value. (e.g. If you would lose 10 Levels, you only lose 9.)
When activating this aura, you have a cyan aura as crystals sparkle around you.

Desert Pantheon – Voracity
The amount of health your target recovers is halfed, and you receive one half of the total healing.
When activating this aura, you have an orange aura as locusts fly around you.

Zaros – Distortion
Enemies in a 3x3 box around you receive rapid, yet weak, damage.
When activating this aura, you have a purple aura as shadows whirl around you.

Last edited by Handeath on Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Handeath
Handeath
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by Handeath Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:35 am

FAQ:
Wouldn’t this overpower Prayer training?
Not really, Prayer is a slow skill to train, unless one is willing to spend large amounts of money. A D&D is a viable option because it provides more Xp while it can only be used sparingly.

Wait, isn’t (insert something here) overpowered?
If it is, explain how and a suggestion on how to fix it would be nice. Preaching to the Masses Blk Smile_

Why don’t all the altars provide the same activities?
Although they should, the nature of the altar prevents this from making sense. Why would there be a Wedding among members of the Guardians of Armadyl?
Handeath
Handeath
Advocate

Back to top Go down

MISCELLANEOUS:
The Book of Law, War, and the Ancient Book should provide more specialized bonuses. The first should just provide a Ranged Attack Bonus and Magic Defence Bonus of 12; the second should just provide Melee Attack Bonuses and a Ranged Defence Bonus of 12; the third should just provide a Magic Attack Bonus and Melee Defence Bonuses of 12.

There should be Temple Knight Armor for Rangers and Mages. (e.g. Proselyte Dragonhide)

The Split Dragontooth Necklace should give 3 Prayer Points for low-leveled bones, 4 for medium-leveled, and 5 for high-leveled. The Demon Horn Necklace should give 5 Prayer Points for low-leveled bones, 6 for medium-leveled, and 7 for high-leveled bones.

There needs to be “Turmoil” for Ranged and Magic.

Magic prayers should give a damage bonus of half of the accuracy bonus they give rounded down (Mystic Will should give a Damage Bonus of 2% and an Accuracy Bonus of 5%.)

Last edited by Handeath on Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Handeath
Handeath
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Reserved
Handeath
Handeath
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by Handeath Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:36 am

Go now, in the name of Saradomin, Zamorak, and Guthix, and post on this thread.
Handeath
Handeath
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by Zectiox Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:57 am

Nice, read the different styles... Supported.. More comments later Grin
Zectiox
Zectiox
Advocate

Number of posts : 743

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:19 am

Well, I guess the problem is that I don't think every skill has to be cheap. Prayer is an expensive skill with an impressive portfolio of abilities that can be brought to bear once it has been mastered.
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Number of posts : 3550
Location : Within the hallowed halls of the mighty, those known only as nobles.

Back to top Go down

Post by Handeath Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:19 am

Yes, but the only way of training is by buying bones and then grinding (literaly). Preaching to the Masses isn't really a way to train, but more of a break from that kind of training.
Handeath
Handeath
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by Duskcurse Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:26 pm

I support, but who will be the audience for zaros? Tongue
Duskcurse
Duskcurse
Partisan
Partisan

Number of posts : 1367

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:21 pm

Handeath wrote:Yes, but the only way of training is by buying bones and then grinding (literaly). Preaching to the Masses isn't really a way to train, but more of a break from that kind of training.

...wait...if it's not a way to train, then why not take a break using another D&D that will actually give me decent xp, although it may not be in prayer?
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:19 am

I dislike the Knowledge reward. Not because I dislike the reward, but given the skill requirement... I need 70 Prayer to get 10k Magic, but only 20 Prayer for 10k Atack.

Also, I just generally dislike when skills are aligned to Gods. It's a cheesy/korny pattern. Nothing against your idea, just a peeve I have. For example, Guthix dislikes Summoning; none of Armadyl's GWD army, and I'm not sure about the Ikov Group, use Ranged (so why is Armadyl Ranged?); etc. Not saying you should change anything just because I dislike it. But other players might dislike that their god doesn't provide the experience they want. I'm Zarosian, why should I have to perform Zamorak-tasks for Attack exp?

But it looks promising. Smile

The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 7344

http://3mptylord.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:54 am

3mptylord wrote: For example, Guthix dislikes Summoning; none of Armadyl's GWD army, and I'm not sure about the Ikov Group, use Ranged (so why is Armadyl Ranged?); etc.

Um...wow...insertion of falsehoods and personal interpretations may not be the best way to get your point across.

Armadyl first:

http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Book_of_law Look at that pretty +6 bonus
http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Armadyl_armour Hmm...what is his armour for?
http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Aviansie Oh look at what attack style his primary servants use...

Then guthix

http://www.runescape.com/kbase/guid/sym_wolf_whistle_members_n_z
http://www.runescape.com/kbase/guid/summoning_the_basics That second paragraph there is interesting
http://www.runescape.com/kbase/guid/taverley_members Just read those first sections.

Okay, I know the manual is changeable, but it is the only official lore we have, and the RSW stats are jsut simple facts. So why don't you go home and compose yourself and come back when you have an actual argument
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon78114 Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:40 am

Sounds similar to my quests, The Purification and Gielinor's Fiyre. You do so many religious rituals created by the ever-infamous cult to save the world.

EDIT: Like the idea, though!

EDIT 2: Instead of allowing you to praise a certain god at increasing levels, you could perhaps do different modes of worship at increasing levels. Like giving a sermon at level 1 and rituals at level 55, each giving higher xp amounts.

EDIT 3: Also, maybe to align yourself differently and do sermons for a different god, you have to convert. I think everyone should start off Saradominists and have the choice to align to the three main gods after your tutorial. Then, after quests, you can convert to others.
Dragon78114
Dragon78114
Partisan
Partisan

Number of posts : 1668

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:08 am

Agreed with Dragon. All/most gods should be available at once, with what you do being unlocked over level.

Spoiler:
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:55 am

Spoiler:
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:11 am

What the hell are you getting so worked up about? I was quoting lore on Guthix, I wasn't trying to change anything nor was I interpreting. They were quotes. And I agreed I was wrong on Armadyl.

Also, how was I showing disrespect to Jagex? All I said was that they are hit and miss on some obscure feature of the game... which, in hindsight, the only two examples were probably made by different people. Tongue

Jeez, if it makes you feel better I'll stop having opinions.
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:29 am

Ever heard of Occam's razor mister 3mpty? Ever thought that maybe, just maybe, jagex meant the obvious, and Guthix doesn't give a damn about summoning. Necromancy blurs the line between life and death because it brings the dead part of the being to some mockery of life. The spirit is always alive, and it cavorts around the spirit world as seen in familiarization. Why do you feel the need to jump through all these hoops to justify your delusions when the simple fact is that Guthic probably approves, when his primary followers are doing it. Also, just so you with your thick skull can figure it out, one of those articles cites that the druids have been using summoning for centuries, so obviously I don't think we can conflate the update schedule with the actual timeline.

Oh, and you can't see my point in those articles. Both mention, one of them in explicit connection to the quest that unlocks summoning, that it is done by followers of GUTHIX! I'm sorry, why is it so hard to accept, that maybe, just maybe, he doesn't give a damn, or even has given his blessing. Why are the god letters, which are written by some mods to give a bit of flavor to the game, any more canon than the manual which you are willing to rip to shreds to suit your own interests.

I don't have a problem with you having opinions. I have a problem with you usign the most completely and utterly f*cking ridiculous defenses when people challenge them. Yes, if you f*cking change the lore, then your argument works. Maybe you could try just taking the later stuff, written when the game lore was more crystallized, as true. Or maybe you could try for one second to compromise and synthesize. But no, apparently that would require your delicate "roleplayer perspective" to change a little bit.

Also, you know what. Why do you have such a wankfest for the triangle. Yes, it's a useful tool for constructing an interesting combat system, but that doesn't mean every monster has to be jammed into one of the corners. You probably don't complain about bosses using multiple attack styles. Do you? Well guess, what, the aviansies are jsut a further development of that, instead of having to adapt to defend against more than one style, you have to adapt to defend against one style, while using another one that's not usually associated with the defensive armour. Perhaps Jagex was doing that? Or is that again too hard for your little triangle bound self to comprehend. The triangle would be ashamed of you, as it is things like that that make the use of the triangle so interesting.
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:43 am

We're both pedantic. We're both stubborn. We're both hypocrites. You've said before that we're similar personalities, and they don't go well together... and I've never denied that. I'm sorry that I've got into the habit of focusing my responses on lore that may or may not exist, and I'll try to get out of that habit. But it's hard. Sigh

I think my mum would say this is just me trying to have the last word...:
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon78114 Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:36 am

Just as an observer, this situation, I think, is more of a personality conflict. It is all too common and is a pain to resolve and read. Dark, your argument is not new. 3mpty your reaction is typical. We, the readers and participants of this forum, really dislike it when you two get into these feuds. Either fight your battles somewhere else, or not fight them at all would be fantastic.

Thank you. Now, let's shift the discussion towards Handeath's idea.
Dragon78114
Dragon78114
Partisan
Partisan

Number of posts : 1668

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:51 am

Nomnomnom I'm a dwagon and I'ma twy to be the bigger man here!!!
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum