The Suggestion Site
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Preaching to the Masses

+3
Dark Avorian
Zectiox
Handeath
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Preaching to the Masses - Page 2 Empty Preaching to the Masses

Post by Handeath Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:33 am

First topic message reminder :

INTRODUCTION:
Prayer is a fighter’s best friend, but a wallet’s worst enemy. The skill is infamous for being one of the more expensive, as the only way to train it is to buy remains and use them at the Ectofuntus or a Chapel in a Player-owned House. Although the introduction of Demon Ashes and Urns help, they still require the use of thousands of remains. This is where Distractions & Diversions come in. While these activities can only be used weekly and are unconventional, they can provide excellent Xp in a certain skill, along with other rewards.

Have you ever noticed that several churches across Runescape have little to no worshipers? The most attended church is Father Lawrence’s church in north-east Varrock, and everyone is fast asleep! I think many priests would appreciate our help in preaching their god’s message to the masses.

TABLE OF CONTENTS:
Key: Topic – (Page Number, Post Number - Page Number, Post Number)
Introduction and Table of Contents – (1, 121)
Getting Started – (1, 2)
Oration – (1, 3)
Locations – (1, 4)
Rewards – (1, 5 – 1, 6)
FAQ – (1, 7)
Miscellaneous – (1, 8)

Last edited by Handeath on Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:37 am; edited 2 times in total
Handeath
Handeath
Advocate

Number of posts : 955

Back to top Go down

Preaching to the Masses - Page 2 Empty Re: Preaching to the Masses

Post by Dark Avorian Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:51 am

Nomnomnom I'm a dwagon and I'ma twy to be the bigger man here!!!

Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Number of posts : 3550

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon78114 Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:55 am

Dark Avorian wrote:Nomnomnom I'm a dwagon and I'ma twy to be the bigger man here!!!

I'm not a bigger man. I'm just the moderating the fight. Wink

EDIT: BTW eating you was fun. Tongue
Dragon78114
Dragon78114
Partisan
Partisan

Number of posts : 1668

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:57 am

I'm going to reprise my original response.

I support the idea. You're right, it is definitely not the Shades of Mort'ton.

However, I dislike that I need 70 Prayer to get 10k Magic, but only 20 Prayer for 10k Atack. In addition, I dislike that a specific skill is aligned to specific Gods...although this is more a peeve. I'm Zarosian, why should I have to perform Zamorak-tasks for Attack exp?

I think it'd do good to alter what exactly is unlocked per level - perhaps the specific activity rather than the god, so Rituals require level 60, for example. Or change how the rewards work. A Pest Control style points system to purchase experience? Or perhaps you can upgrade the church as your prayer level improves (perhaps in conjunction with Construction)... at level 80 you have a cathedral of a church which attracts a bigger convent, and thus harder to win over but more experience, etc.
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 7344

http://3mptylord.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Handeath Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:45 am

Thank you for a response that is finally related to the suggestion.

Remember that the Knowledge reward is based on the Oratory points that, you may get a certain kind of combat Xp from a certain god, but you won't get as much Xp from Guthix than from Armadyl, due to the Activities and Level difference.

I was trying to go for Level = Knowledge about gods but unlocking Activites with Level also makes sense. However, the Quest Requirements for the gods still makes the rewards a problem, they can't all give the same thing.
Handeath
Handeath
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:00 pm

I'm not sure your reply addressed my concern, it's the specific skills that a god reward I dislike, not necessarily the amount. Why can you not just receive experience in any skill from all the gods?

Also, why can't they all give the same thing? I think a quest requirement is psychologically less imposing than a skill requirement. Requiring to unlock the altar doesn't sound like it's penalizing your choice of god, but that might just be me.

Should the requirement for Guthix be Wolf Whistle rather than Druidic Ritual? I know the Tears of Guthix doesn't affect Summoning and Herblore unless you've completed the quest, so getting 10k xp in Summoning is potentially wasteful if the system can't give it to you. Tongue

Also, I'm not sure 10 minutes is a substantial enough length of time for what could take weeks to earn (given it's a once-per-week activity). It might even take you 10 minutes to get anywhere that you wanted to use it. 10 minutes of usage maybe? Or a charge... can only deal/heal certain amount of damage... I don't know frankly. But 10 minutes... ARGH!

What of the other gods? Flamtaer, the Menaphites, etc. Or did you just run out of combat skills? Wink
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:22 am

I like most of your suggestions, a very good idea

Two things, 3mpty has more or less said them both before, but I'd like to repeat simply because it shows I agree

1. Certain Gods giving certain skills - this is an issue to me too - as quite a strong hater of Zamorak, Saradomin and Bandos, I dislike the idea of having to preach for them in order to get XP of my choice, and I think a lot of other players would. While it was a nice idea to have rewards that match certain traits of their gods, I think it would be better to hand out lamps for combat XP or give XP entirely to prayer. I considered awarding XP randomly, but that would upset pures

2. Minor gods. I really like the idea of adding the Desert Pantheon into this. They have some very interesting and unique religious ideals and there's a lot I'd like to learn about them, much of which could be discovered through here. Flamtaer too, for that matter, although part of me doubts he is truly a God...
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Number of posts : 1248

Back to top Go down

Post by Handeath Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:16 am

I suppose replacing the Knowledge reward (which was actually based on the god's teachings: Order = Defence) with a lamp, but I don't think divine wisdom would appear in the form of a genie lamp.

(More at 3mpty). NO, no, and no. I was trying to go by major gods (those who have books), which was why I considered removing Seren. Putting in the Desert Pampheon would be nice though. (If I did, they would give Constitution Xp, Seren would give Agility.) Flamteer is just a temple. Morytania was Hallowvale, which was a Saradominian region.
Handeath
Handeath
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:47 am

There are other forms of giving you experience without a genie... a tome? Tongue

Haha, Armadyl, Bandos and Zaros weren't major gods prior to the God Wars Dungeon and the Dorgesh'kaan saga... so I think it's bad practice to not leave room for future expansion, given the other minor gods could easily become main gods with a single update.

Last edited by 3mptylord on Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:18 am; edited 1 time in total
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Handeath Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:02 am

True, looks like I have more stuff to do.
Handeath
Handeath
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by Zectiox Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:14 am

Spoiler:
this would maybe solve the exp-reward problem we're discussing here.. maybe, maybe not Tongue
Zectiox
Zectiox
Advocate

Number of posts : 743

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:53 am

I mean honestly, if the gods are coming down to grant their followers xp, I doubt they're going to restrict us to any set of skills.
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Location : Within the hallowed halls of the mighty, those known only as nobles.

Back to top Go down

Post by Handeath Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:18 am

I was going by idealology. :\
Handeath
Handeath
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:27 pm

Shouldn't the lord of Chaos be Magic? The lord of Order be the arm of justice (Attack or Strength), etc. Twisted Evil
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Handeath Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:04 am

Yes, but Zaros is more accepted as the God of Magic. Zamorak is more offence based (Attack) and Bandos is clearly about Strength. Ranged is obviously taken by Armadyl.

You're not a troll, 3mpty.
Handeath
Handeath
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:41 am

Zamorak is/was a mahjarrat, who are powerful magicians. He killed Zaros with a staff. Just saying. Saying he's the "offence type" really says nothing about what style he prefers... not that we should assume what type he prefers. Wink As there is no Chaos skill, which is his only formal title... well, it's been said before. Sigh

Troll is overly used, and generally goes by a different meaning these days. Tongue

Anyway, so how's the idea shaping up? You said you needed to amend some things. Also, my unaddressed point about 10 minutes being lame in light of how long it could take to earn (in real time, not necessarily game time).
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Handeath Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:12 pm

Impaled with a Staff, Attack. (Technically, it was by pure luck, so he didn't really kill. Regardless, Ranged, Strength, and Magic are taken and from the Unholy Book, we know his skill would be an offencive one.

I have to work on my Hybrid Equipment Collaboration, so I haven't started the revamp (Tomes of Knowledge for any combat skill, Prayer Levels for Activies not gods). My arguement for time: it's a weekly D&D that takes much more skill than grinding.
Handeath
Handeath
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:22 pm

"My arguement for time: it's a weekly D&D that takes much more skill than grinding."

Umm... I'm not sure how that responds to my point. 10 minutes is a shoddy amount of time for what could be weeks work. It should be experience based, or time-in-use. 10 minutes might not even give you enough time to get anywhere you might want to use the reward...

(If you saw me asking about a bug on my computer, turns out it was a bug on the website. Edited out.)
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Handeath Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:49 pm

Oh, I see. The Circus provides a similar amount of Xp while not being as engaging. I'm just using 10 minutes as an estimate, that's half a game of Castle Wars and 5 minutes less than a game of Fish Flingers, a Fishing D&D. Moreover, the amount of Xp is based on how well you do in the D&D, I said that.

Or you could be talking about the Blessings, 15-20 minutes sound good?
Handeath
Handeath
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:24 pm

Yeah, he's talking about the blessings. Also, judging by the god letters Zamorak is Strength or Attack.

I'm the kind of Zamorakian who strikes fear into the heart of my enemies by wielding fabulously impressive weaponry, and then intimidates further by laying my weaponry down and smiting them with nothing but my own strength. Just so they know they're not even good enough to bother using weaponry upon.
I'm also the kind of Zamorakian who doesn't like to lose, and if the odds of battle seem to be shifting against my favour I have a large bloodied axe handy to redress the balance. Honour goes so far, but victory in the battle is all that counts.

You act as though they are something different! Every warrior worth his weapons knows that a good offense IS a good defence!
Attack first, and be at the advantage!
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Location : Within the hallowed halls of the mighty, those known only as nobles.

Back to top Go down

Post by Handeath Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:36 pm

Okay, how about 20 minutes for Blessing Time?
Handeath
Handeath
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by Handeath Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:14 am

Updated for Auras and the Desert Pantheon
Handeath
Handeath
Advocate