The Suggestion Site
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

QSD Writing competition

+2
MorbiusMonster
Dragon78114
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

QSD Writing competition Empty QSD Writing competition

Post by Dragon78114 Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:59 am

Well I am in it and I know Jeeves is in. Perhaps we all should join in for old time's sakes of writing quests on the forums unaffiliated with other massive ideas we've been concocting.
Dragon78114
Dragon78114
Partisan
Partisan

Number of posts : 1668

Back to top Go down

QSD Writing competition Empty Re: QSD Writing competition

Post by MorbiusMonster Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:25 pm

Hmm...

I have been trying to come up with a Grandmaster Quest that involves no combat, how hard can it be? It has, in the place of combat requirements, another interesting requirement.
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Number of posts : 2641

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon78114 Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:50 am

well, yeah it can be rather challenging.

You could unnecessarily inflate the requirements to reach the grandmaster difficulty.

What would be better is a puzzle or something more sinister and deadlier than Within the Light, but who's to say that will be balanced? Within the Light is like number 8 in the elf series.
Dragon78114
Dragon78114
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:35 am

Link, QFC, and quoted description of the actual contest would be nice.
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Number of posts : 3550
Location : Within the hallowed halls of the mighty, those known only as nobles.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon78114 Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:53 am

Dragon78114
Dragon78114
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon78114 Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:54 am

Amascut wrote:

Hi all, this is the Third Quest Writing Competition, run by the Quest Suggestions Database! Robo Hobo and I are running this competition in honor of the ONE YEAR anniversary of the Quest Suggestions Database, established on December 18th 2010.

The QSD can be found here: 185-186-107-63013835

To enter, read the rules below and begin crafting your quest. Once complete, post it on the forums and link it here. The entries must be submitted and completed by December 16th, but edits in your quest may be made up until then!

Please see the SECOND post for contest information!

There will be prizes, albeit not nearly as generous as the last competition. We're hoping this is more just for fun to get some people writing again.

The competition ends on December 18th, the day that the original Quest Suggestions Database started. Lately it's been quiet there, and we're hoping to change that!

Also, if you're interested in helping out as a judge, just ask and we'll get you set up for when the time comes. If you're already a reviewer for the database, then you won't need a trial, but otherwise we'll need to give you a practice quest to review so you can be on the same page as the other reviewers. We're only accepting a maximum of THREE MORE reviews, other than Robo Hobo and myself, so if you're interested, apply quickly.
Dragon78114
Dragon78114
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon78114 Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:54 am

Amascut wrote:

Rule #1: THE THEME:

Your quest must follow a very specific theme, which is... Your character is stranded on an Island, upon which they eventually find some previously unknown knowledge about a current Runescape God/Goddess. They may escape before the quest is through, but not before finding hints at the information.

Rule #2: THE LENGTH:

The quest must be between FOUR posts to THIRTY posts, counting requirements and rewards.

Rule #3: THE DEADLINE:

All quests are due December 18th!

Rule #4: THE RESTRICTIONS:

-You cannot enter if you are a reviewer
-You cannot copy another's quest
-You cannot enter a pre-written quest
-You must use the theme, and include everything in the theme, else you will be disqualified
-You cannot exceed the 30 Post limit, and cannot go under the 4 post limit.
-You must have fun!

Rule #5: THE REWARDS:

-Your quest plugged on the Quest Suggestions Database!
-A Set of God Armor in the color of the winners god, if applicable. If not, the winner may choose. (E.g. desert gods, Marimbo, Seren)
-Favor of the Goddess of Destruction
-A few Spare Bolts from the Robotic Hobo

Dragon78114
Dragon78114
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duskcurse Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:01 am

ZAROS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Duskcurse
Duskcurse
Partisan
Partisan

Number of posts : 1367

Back to top Go down

Post by MorbiusMonster Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:21 pm

That's the reward? I don't fancy doing it.
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by Duskcurse Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:05 am

Not the reward, the theme
Duskcurse
Duskcurse
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Handeath Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:21 am

If you do Zaros, I swear, I will punch you through the internet.
Handeath
Handeath
Advocate

Number of posts : 955

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon78114 Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:06 pm

Morb, It's more for old time's sakes.

Seriously Dusk; can you make a quest that doesn't involve Zaros?
Dragon78114
Dragon78114
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by MorbiusMonster Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:37 pm

If I was going to do a quest, it'd be interesting to know slightly more about some of the older followers of Armadyl. Perhaps Armadyl had saints or disciples?
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon78114 Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:11 am

go ahead; start brainstorming; there's only 9 days left until the competition ends.
Dragon78114
Dragon78114
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by MorbiusMonster Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:18 am

Okay, I've been thinking and I've come up with a workable quest with a special reward; Artemis' Crossbow.

In terms of stats, the crossbow is nothing altogether special, it can be quick, is fairly useful, but its real power comes not from close combat but from long distance, and I mean LONG distance. Its signature ability is "Sniper Scope", a useful feature for ranged combat. The player can switch into "Sniper mode" and can snare a target from a long distance away.

The Hawk's Eye jewel in the crossbow allows it to detect the weak points on a target and if the target stays still long enough, a player can target one of these points and fire a shot at these points that deals impressive damage. Depending on the points you hit will also affect the target in some way. Significantly weak targets will find their speed reduced if struck in the chest, an inability to heal if struck in the abdomen and can sometimes be killed in one shot if aimed at the head.

The disadvantages of this weapon is that it requires precision, meaning you can easily fix on rapidly moving targets, like players. It is also a two handed weapon so eliminates the use of a shield. Also, whilst in sniper mode, a player will not be able to see behind them unless they drop out of sniper mode, so can be attacked from behind. However, its sheer power when in sniper mode is worth the risk.
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon78114 Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:04 am

cool; write a rough draft.

Also if you are actually going to write a quest, you best tell the people on the thread. I posted a link like on the fourth post.
Dragon78114
Dragon78114
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by MorbiusMonster Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:39 am

Okay, here is the draft I was thinking;

"Hanging aloft in the King's Chamber is the head of the fabled White Stag. Originally caught by Arrav and considered an omen of good luck. Rumour has circulated that from a telescope, a small island off of Karamja has some White Stag still remaining. It is up to the player to prove these rumours.

Upon landing, it is not only White Stag that can be found, but a rich history of possibly one of the most intriguing insurrections in history, where the value of life surpassed a will to survive. Just who was Artemis the Hunter, how are they tied with the most untrusted race and what finally sealed their fate?"
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon78114 Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:49 am

I'll critique it when you have finished, but it is a good start.
Dragon78114
Dragon78114
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by MorbiusMonster Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:25 am

Obviously, I am never going to get round to finishing it for the deadline, I am just too busy this week.
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon78114 Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:03 am

Unfortunately I feel the same way.
Dragon78114
Dragon78114
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon78114 Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:20 am

Hey Morb and Jeeves, you can still enter; they've extended the deadline because even the competition hosts have even said that they couldn't make it because of finals. Tongue
Dragon78114
Dragon78114
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by MorbiusMonster Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:52 pm

Hopefully, I should be able to finish the Isle of Artemis.
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeeves Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:59 am

Tongue I'll see what I can put together over the next week.
Jeeves
Jeeves
Advocate

Number of posts : 606

Back to top Go down

Post by MorbiusMonster Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:45 am

The plot for my quest was originally to find a white stag on an island off the coast of Ardougne. However, the player cannot catch this wild beast and instead searches the ruins of a temple on the island.

The temple was constructed in honour of Artemis, the hunter. She was a saint of Armadyl, representing the joy of the hunt, the necessity and the importance of decorum in death and victory, that every prey means that slightly bit more if the send off is worthy.

As you discover more, it is revealed that Artemis was in fact a Mahjarrat that only decided to follow Armadyl when captured in his lands. After discovering the joy of life, and the value of the pursuit and not solely focussing on the acquisition, she decided that perhaps the way of Armadyl outfavoured that of Zaros, preferably known by Armadyl as the Conquestor.

Artemis' temple contains no traps or cryptic puzzles, the only key needed to open it is of honesty and truth. Once the temple can recognise someone with a joy for the hunt and a true respect for nature, it will yield its true secret, the Crossbow of Artemis, a weapon capable of taking down a White Stag.

After completing the quest and others like it, more is revealed as to how Armadyl and Zaros thought of eachother.

Completing Temple at Senntisten reveals as to how Armadyl thought of Zaros in his own words. During the Second Age, Armadyl represented law and order. He refers to Zaros as only the Conquestor and Zaros only ever thought of Armadyl as the Preacher. The two just about tolerated each other, but not for the company they kept.

Completing Ritual of the Mahjarrat reveals the circumstances to Artemis' demise during the 3rd Age. Once her allegiances with Armadyl were revealed, the other Mahjarrat held her in low esteem and considered sacrificing her. She was planning on avoiding this fate by using the crossbow to snipe another Mahjarrat just before the Ritual, knowing that if a weakened Mahjarrat was brought to the Ritual site, notably an unpopular one, they'd have no choice but to allow her to live. However, when it came to executing the plan, the Mahjarrat, inside Ghorrock Fortress, turned and looked at her, with pure evil in its eyes. It shocked her so greatly, she failed to notice one of her former allies was right behind her and ready to stab her in the back.

Completing Branches of Darkmeyer reveals the story behind how Saradomin became Armadyl's apprentice. Saradomin once trespassed the temple looking for something valuable, but was caught by Armadyl. Armadyl took pity on Saradomin, who had simply entered this plane with no idea as to what he was meant to do. Luckily, Armadyl offered Saradomin a place at his side, seeing how Saradomin expressed great knowledge and was willing to learn Armadyl's teachings.

Saradomin - "But sometimes Master, I think that those dishonour your grace and virtue need to be shown otherwise. They live in ignorance and should be taught."

Armadyl - "I would agree, but it would be best not to let them be forced onto it, as you were."

Saradomin - "But I learned well from your teachings, you shown me myself in ways I could not see before. Surely you must enlighten others to your ideals."

Armadyl - "And I shall, but they will choose to be enlightened. You have great wisdom Saradomin, and it is through that wisdom you chose to follow me. Those that follow the Conquestor do so for they believe it is right, and though it can be immoral as to what he chooses to do with his power, it's not ours to purge. We can only preach, but only if they listen."

Saradomin - "And if they refuse to?"

Armadyl - "Then it is left at that. I know you wish great things on this world, and I am proud of that. Maybe one day, they'll turn to you and their leader, as someone who upholds righteousness above all else, and then they'll turn to you."
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by Duskcurse Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:51 am

you refer to it in past, you changed from idea?
Duskcurse
Duskcurse
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next