The Suggestion Site
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RWTscape

+6
Dragon78114
Handeath
Amascut
MorbiusMonster
The Empty Lord
Slayer Noir
10 posters

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

RWTscape - Page 3 Empty RWTscape

Post by Slayer Noir Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:57 am

First topic message reminder :

To be honest, I'm surprised there isn't a thread about this already, so I made one.

Today, April 2nd 2012, JaGex introduced a system which allows you to purchase spins on the Squeal of Fortune for real life money.

So I'm interested in your opinions on this. The forums are, unsurprisingly, full of rants and flame, and I want some smarter discussion.

Is it real world trading? Is it illegal gambling? If so, what's caused JaGex to break their own rules and do this? Is this the end for RuneScape?

Discuss...
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Number of posts : 1248

Back to top Go down

RWTscape - Page 3 Empty Re: RWTscape

Post by The Empty Lord Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:43 am

I'll look at them when I'm not Twitching it up on the Fields of Justice.

The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 7344

http://3mptylord.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Handeath Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:50 am

So my skepticism of the severity of the whole ordeal wasn't unfounded? Hmm.

In all seriousness, while SoF vs RWT isn't as bad as we once thought, this is a step in the 'wrong' direction. I use quotation marks because I stand by my belief that RWT should not be an issue in this game, e.g. instead of worrying about RWT, we should be concerned with the focus on items rather than skill.

I hear the combat overhaul in the summer will rectify that, but any other thoughts?
Handeath
Handeath
Advocate

Number of posts : 955

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:10 am

See I think one the draws of runescape for a lot of people is the reliance on items over skill. If I wanted a game that relied on skill I have thousand options that simply function a whole hell of a lot better and have better graphics and mechanics. What runescape has is a system in which work is rewarded. If you grind...you have a certain base level of abilities and that is attractive to a lot of people. They don't need to mash buttons for hours to get to a decent level of physical coordination...instead they can grind and get a permanent level that does the same.
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Number of posts : 3550
Location : Within the hallowed halls of the mighty, those known only as nobles.

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:14 am

I'm largely unaware of the combat overhaul coming in the summer. My knowledge only goes as far as "Combat will be changed in the summer, 'cuz they said so at RuneFest". Do you know any more?

Is it going to change the balance between skill (are we talking about skill as in levels here, or skill like gaming ability here, by the way?) and items? Because I think Dark's right. There are tons of games that place skill over strategy. Runescape would become less unique, and it doesn't really have uniqueness to spare.

I dunno, I think I need to think harder about this before I can come up with a strong, valid opinion.
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Handeath Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:35 am

By skill I meant gaming ability, and go on with this skill v strategy that makes RS unique...
Handeath
Handeath
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by Amascut Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:54 am

The Combat Overhaul will make combat end up less of "click and wait" and will rely more on the players interactions and skills. It's assumed we'll have a hotbar with different types of attacks, and we select them. I'm actually thinking they might do something similar to League of Legends, in terms of hotbar, where we have basic attacks, per usual, and then different abilities we can unlock and customize, but we'll see on that regard.

Armor will also boost your hitpoints, even bronze, with Torva/Pernix/Virtus boosting you up aproximately 4000 hitpoints, so armour choice will be very important.
Amascut
Amascut
Proselyte

Number of posts : 158

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198044428364

Back to top Go down

Post by Djjulien Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:58 am

To be honest, the whole squeel of fortune seems like a scam to me. 2 free spins and you never get anything good (used to get nice portions of xp lamps, but that too has been thrown back to 0 since they added the "free spin tokens".

When I saw that buying extra spins actually cost 'real' money instead of gp, I was very disappointed in Jagex, really. I can understand that they may need more money (they've already increased the costs for membership twice the last 2 years), but this feels kind of like a scam.

Cheers!

Djjulien
Djjulien
Djjulien
Squire

Number of posts : 38

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:03 pm

I reckon they should ditch accuracy.

You always hit your Strength level + Strength bonus. You defence should always reduce damage based on a percent based on the Defence level + Defence bonus. Slash/Stab/Crush could just be modifiers, or something.

The issue with combat is that no matter how interactive you make it, if the miss rate remains so stupid, it won't matter. *pulls off epic combo, all the hits miss*
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 7344

http://3mptylord.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Handeath Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:33 pm

I think RS would improve by leaps and bounds if there were more kinds of armor/weapons/spellbooks. As your Level increases, the trade-off between stats (accuracy/damage/defence) can increase (there should always be a balanced, the craftable, set). This way, at Level 95 (the last 4 levels are not worth the effort for the stats imo), you have a wide variety of styles to choose from.

Yes, this still gives way to the possiblity of RWT, since you could buy every kind of armor, but I have other ideas in addition to this one, collaries if you will, that make RWT pointless.
Handeath
Handeath
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon78114 Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:50 pm

3mptylord wrote:I reckon they should ditch accuracy. Tongue

You always hit your Strength level + Strength bonus. You defence should always reduce damage based on a percent based on the Defence level + Defence bonus. Slash/Stab/Crush could just be modifiers, or something.

The issue with combat is that no matter how interactive you make it, if the miss rate remains so stupid, it won't matter. *pulls off epic combo, all the hits miss*

lol, if your accuracy sucks, then bring up your attack level.

For best result I try to keep the three as balanced in number as I can to prevent that sort of thing from happening. I also remember being like combat level 95 and I won against a player in the duel area who was like level 120 because he kept missing and I kept hitting(albeit low) and he had about twice as nice equipment... hehe... He needed to train his attack lvl...

It really boils down on how you train your skills, so there really is strategy and skill behind the items you use And I think this principle needs to be distributed not only to other combat skills; for instance magic. A newb who trains up to 99 magic via alchemy can possibly defeat a lvl 100+ warrior (of course from a distance and with an adequate strategy). It can happen, but shouldn't.
Dragon78114
Dragon78114
Partisan
Partisan

Number of posts : 1668

Back to top Go down

Post by MorbiusMonster Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:00 pm

Oh lucky me(!) It landed on a red and I could have won some dragon claws, but I was given 10 coins. I am spared the fate of being too deadly in combat for a modest reward(.)
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Number of posts : 2641

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:14 pm

How the hell does that work, Morb?
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon78114 Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:21 am

It's Morb, everything bad happens to him. Tongue

Just kidding.

What I'm guessing is that it slowed down near a rare object and actually stopped on something worthless. I've got plenty of 50gp rewards just after a rare item.
Dragon78114
Dragon78114
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by MorbiusMonster Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:53 pm

The strategy for working out your chances of winning an item on Squeal of Fortune are actually pretty simple. By taking a picture of the wheel, expanding it and printing it off, you can measure the size of the segments with a protractor. Once you work out the overall number of degrees occupied by certain sections, the odds will be made clear.

There is also a news announcement everytime someone wins a rare item in game. To date, I haven't seen any.

It's also worth noting that this is how it's laid out. The uncommon in bold is slightly larger than the other uncommon segments.

C-R-U-C-U-C-R-C-U-C-R-C-U
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:21 pm

I found some information on the combat overhaul we've been discussing. Take a look at this QFC

16-17-742-63328955

Frankly, it scares me.
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by MorbiusMonster Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:46 am

I understood that perfectly.

Does it conflict with your strategy? I find it doesn't conflict spiritual aura at all, it just gives variation.
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:04 am

My strategy for what?
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by blank Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:24 am

I don't feel it's wrong in any way. Sure, people may not like it, and they may rage over it, but at it's raw core, RWT is paying real-life money to gain an in-game advantage. Isn't buying membership RWT then?

Yes, I don't like the Vanity items, but mostly because I have no way of getting them in Belgium. I'd love to get my hands on a Katana, but I just can't get them over here.

Technically, if you buy spins with Squeal, you're buying items in-game, that's a fact. You have no guarantee however, that they'll be good items, as you may get a bucket.

If you don't like it, don't buy. Keep playing until you think the company has lost all of its morals, and quit.

Oh, and you don't put in a lot of hard work in getting a 99, or getting a certain 50m item. All you do is click, again and again. The only exception I could see to this would be bosses that require more than just click here, then click there and repeat. Though not completely either.

If my points are incomplete, it's 1.24 am and I'm too tired to explain a lot ^^ Well, my brain is too lazy.
blank
blank
Proselyte

Number of posts : 461

Back to top Go down

Post by MorbiusMonster Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:02 pm

Actually, don't quit, you'd miss out if Arzonus came about.
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by blank Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:27 pm

I see you're still the same then ^^
blank
blank
Proselyte

Number of posts : 461

Back to top Go down

Post by MorbiusMonster Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:49 pm

Nope, still no decent prizes. I swear it HAS to be rigged. It practically stops on a rare, stays for a second more and then just falls onto 50gp.
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon78114 Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:00 pm

um yeah... or else the rs economy would be virtually destroyed.
Dragon78114
Dragon78114
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by MorbiusMonster Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:45 pm

How so? You can't trade the items, what harm does it do?
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon78114 Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:11 pm

adding money to the economy devalues it. adding anything rare and expensive disproportionately would destroy its value. Jagex I'm sure took careful considerations when deciding to add very rare and expensive items to SoF.
Dragon78114
Dragon78114
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by MorbiusMonster Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:47 pm

I've only ever yielded experience lamps. Most only award 2,000 at best.
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon78114 Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:32 pm

I've gotten a lot of 50 gp along with rune stuff like a platebody, pick, and a few lamps. Quite frankly, I really don't care about it because I don't like gambling in general.

Sorry Morb, but it depends if the game likes you or not. Maybe over time you'll get that bandos godsword, but don't get your hopes up. This is like playing a slot machine or wheel of fortune; it rarely ever works and has a devastating and alluring false award potential.
Dragon78114
Dragon78114
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum: