The Suggestion Site
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stoneworking! (Quest Skill)

5 posters

Go down

Stoneworking! (Quest Skill) Empty Stoneworking! (Quest Skill)

Post by Dark Avorian Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:17 pm

The first of two major skill ideas I conceived of while canoeing (which was amazing btw)...

... Stone working/Masonry/Stone masonry/Stone carving

This skill is unlocked by doing a medium length explanatory quest that requires 50 construction and Legends quest (this also gives quite adequate crafting, mining and smithing reqs) I will post this later.

This skill allows a player to make a variety of items out of stone, I have attempted to tie it to as many skills as possible...

Many of the supplies and tools are untradeable (making this a good money-maker) while still having a decent amount of the supplies and finished products be tradeable (many of the extremely powerful items created at lvl 80+ are untradeable making them symbols of extreme status)

Tools are exclusively made through smithing...adzes, better chisels and some others
and are almost exclusively untradable...so in order to utilize your levels fully you may need some smithing reqs

Supplies...needless to say...are almost entirely from mining (all stone is...gemstones and potion baths are not)

Tie ins

Combat

Ranging- stone arrowheads, stone arrows/bolts/darts/cannon munition, armour and bows are even available at high levels along with the utilization of certain potion baths to make them flexible

Melee- Clubs, pikes, armour, shields, etc...

Mage- Stone staffs, and you will learn how to carve essence to more effectively contain elemental power, vastly improving spell power (Natures will bind for longer and randomly alch two items, laws will be able to make more powerful teleblocks and break through teleblocks, catalytic runes qill improve max hit, elemental runes will improve range of spells etc...)

Firemaking- Build your own pyres and make fire rings for multi-log bonfires

Prayer- Burn bones on pyres and make small altars for you and others to pray at. Extra additions to chapel that can offer prayer and XP boosts beyond current ones

Slayer- New weapons for monsters

Runecrafting- Carved essence offeres higher xp, and you can repair the altars to slightly speed up crafting

Fishing- A long pier south of ooglog is in bad shape but as you raise your level you can travel farther out and get better fish, just don't forget to bring your stone fishing weights

Mining- More stones to mine

Smithing- Tools to make

Construction- Some things can only be done in a mason's workshop room in a POH

Woodcutting- Stone axes maybe...but doesn't really tie in

Farming- No tie in...except maybe some herbs for herbal baths that you can only grow

Herblore- Herbal baths

Crafting- Making tools/adornments for armour

Fletching- Attaching arrowheads, stringing bows

Cooking- not much

POH's- Lots of new stone items to make and install

Hunter- More impressive deadfalls and deadfall beasts

Agility/Thieving- None so far

Summoning- Can counterfeit charms but they will sometimes use more than 1 per pouch

Please inform me of any missing skills

SKill symbol: Chisel and adze behind a rock

Skillcape emote: Character pick up a rock, chisels it into the shape of their head them holds it up...colors of cape are beyond me and I'm color deficient

ENjoy
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Number of posts : 3550
Location : Within the hallowed halls of the mighty, those known only as nobles.

Back to top Go down

Stoneworking! (Quest Skill) Empty Re: Stoneworking! (Quest Skill)

Post by invinible Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:09 pm

You made a very common mistake of the RuneScape forums: you attempted
to have a skill added in by requiring other skills at certain levels.

The 3 reasons this won't work is: 1. pure skillers won't do any quests
that has any combat requirements, 2. Pure combatants won't do any
quests that has any non-combat requirements, and 3. some people won't
do quests they feel goes against what they feel is proper way to run
the game.

Hence, left as is, only the hardcore questers and those that jump at anything new that is added would attempt your quest.

However, if you made it so the quest to unlock this skill didn't
require any other skill or quest to be started and anything that was to
be done by a skill other than Masonry was buying for the quest than it
would have passed that obstacle.
invinible
invinible
Proselyte

Number of posts : 149

Back to top Go down

Stoneworking! (Quest Skill) Empty Right...

Post by Dark Avorian Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:21 pm

Well actually invinible Masonry is an ELITE skill...those who don't want it won't get it...people like me will...it is a new skill and will merely provide some cool new items to help in other situations...

Don't talk down to me like that...I've been browsing the forums for years...this idea is mine and the skill/quest requirements are an inherent part of the skill.

Also...legends guild isn't exactly hardcore questing and I"d be willing to remove that req but keep the other skill reqs.

Combat pures...wouldn't train it any way
Non-Combat Pures...they made a choice
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:27 pm

invinible wrote:

Hence, left as is, only the hardcore questers and those that jump at anything new that is added would attempt your quest.

Hardcore questers = people in legends guild...I think not... I've been in it for a year and only recently got QPC

ALso thos two categories are a huge portion of the game...and if some people feel that they don't like my new quest skills then they are limiting themselves...I feel no pity
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:07 pm

I understand that Quest skills are designed to be available more half way through the game, but Vin has a point to some extent. If you seen the sub-skill idea, quest related skills could just be sub-sections of existing skills...
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 7344

http://3mptylord.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:14 pm

Yeah...but masonry is a mixture of crafting, construction, and arguably mining...also it has so many potential uses that trying to cram them all between levels 55 and 99 spread among those three skills would be stupid

The reason for quest skills is that atm we have a broad skill covering almost any section of "skilling" therefore in order to create a new skill that couldn't arguably be subsumed into another skill, or Sailing (which could be cons btw) you have to mix several skills together and then have some reason why you aren't just cramming it into those skills

I can't reasonably put masonry into a subskill of any skill because I can argue for why you would need some mining for it, some construction for it, and some crafting for it
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by invinible Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:49 am

I bet that imhomer from This thread would have something to say about you being the first to come up with masonry skills. The way he/she/sie/it typed it, I'm able to approve unlike the way you did, and there is 2 of them rather than 1. Did you honestly come up with this idea before Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:11 pm?
invinible
invinible
Proselyte

Number of posts : 149

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeeves Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:23 am

Not bad. I've always hoped for a tie-in skill that could benefit all the other ones, and the quest is always welcome in my book. Also, I checked out that thread on tip.it and other than the fact that they're both called Masonry, the skills are nothing alike. Imhomer's is a small add-on to Construction while Dark's can be used with everything.
Jeeves
Jeeves
Advocate

Number of posts : 606

Back to top Go down

Post by TATORZ Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:40 pm

Yeah... I don't care how 'elitest' this skill is... It shouldn't require anything or be long. Make it slow, expensive, and hard to train, but don't give the quest requirements.

My only real issue.
TATORZ
TATORZ
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Number of posts : 2458

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:58 pm

First off where does anyone get the idea I think I'm the first to think of a skill called Masonry...

TATORZ...what do you have against this skill...why is it that every skill has to be accessible to a newb...The reason that Masonry has a right to be it's own skill is because it contains elements of many skills...but you can't just have a mastery of those skills right of the bat
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by TATORZ Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:10 pm

Okay, I think EVERYONE realizes that you're not the first to think of it.

If it ties into so many skills, why does it only require construction, then... of course it does require Legend's quest, but not everyone knows exactly what that entails.
TATORZ
TATORZ
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:11 pm

Construction and Legends Quest...which throws in similar Crafting, Mining, and Smithing Reqs
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by TATORZ Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:15 pm

Hm... now I'm wondering... What's the lowest total level you could have to possibly start Legend's Quest?

Besides all the requirements for it, what about the other quests you need to beat? What's the least amount of leveling you could have done.
TATORZ
TATORZ
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:17 pm

Um well they prayer lvl and the mage lvl would probably be enough to beat nezikchened
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by TATORZ Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:18 pm

Hmmmmm... Seriously... that's a good question...
TATORZ
TATORZ
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:57 pm

Ohh
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 7344

http://3mptylord.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down