The Suggestion Site
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mythics: Stagnant Discussion

+8
Dragon78114
Sir Kandarin
TATORZ
Jeeves
Dark Avorian
Ruy112
trixtor
The Empty Lord
12 posters

Page 19 of 19 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 17, 18, 19

Go down

Mythics: Stagnant Discussion - Page 19 Empty Mythics: Stagnant Discussion

Post by The Empty Lord Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:06 am

First topic message reminder :

I've changed the title of the thread because the apostrophe wouldn't behave. Mythics: Stagnant Discussion - Page 19 612280

The twelve labours, inspired by both mythology and our unofficial mascot Dark Sylvania;

Nemean lionNemyonGuantletsWritten by Jeeves.
Lernaean hydraLernosDiademWritten by Jeeves.
Cerinean hindCerinaHelm
Erymanthian boarErymontAxe-hammerWritten by Jeeves.
Augean stablesAugoHelmWritten by Trixtor.
Stymphalian birdsStympho
Creten bullCretosMace
Mares of DiomedesTrace
Shield of HippolytaHippolytaRising Sun
Cattle of GeryonGeryon
Apples of the HesperidesLadonGolden Apple
CerberusCerberusStaff/Whip

Mythics: Stagnant Discussion - Page 19 Flames_of_Lloigh-enn

Timeline of the Mythics' Quest;
• Grandeur, the gateway to the Mythics' Guild, must be appeased. The requirements for this section are merely the skill requirements for the quest, having completed the Legends' Quest and having a certain number of quest points. The plinth that Grandeur stands on has three icons connected by rivulets. You need them all to light up.
• Through the gateway you can see the image above, basically. Only, the warrior is also a statue and facing the other way. These thirteen statues are, in effect, Hercules and the twelve labours. Accompanying them is a fourth character, imposing as a thirteenth labour - Durial, our antagonist.
• "Herclues" will introduce the labours, and what they are for. It should be noted that the labours themselves, and Herclues, are irrelevant to the quest at the moment. Players can complete them now or later. It should also be noted that Hercules does not mention Durial, our 13th Labour. Trying to make him stick out.
• Each labour would be based on the labours from Greek Mythology. This is the guild of Mythics after all, and Greek wouldn't be the only source when we finally have access to the guild. "Completing a labour" involves retrieving a lost relic that has been hidden in your time. These tasks take place in both RuneScape, and bespoke instances.
• Durial requires three items; the Blades of Eleyon, the Cloak of Shadows and the Potion of Vulnerability. Each item will require utmost knowledge of RuneScape, as no requirements are officially given. This quest may seem long - but the labours aren't required at this point.
• After obtaining all three items for Durial he will exit the guild - returning to his own time. In the same cinematic, future-you will arrive; panting hysterically and cursing that he took too long (mentioning something about other future-yous and how he failed to improve... which you will also say).
• Future-you, though you don't know it yet, will tell you what you need to do next; which of the three labours you should complete. You require the Rising Sun, the Hydra's Diadem, and something defensive to counter the Blades of Eleyon. Future-you will also tell you what Durial's true intentions are.
• After having obtained these, your next mission is to activate the Chronarch's Throne, an altar capable of reversing the flow of time within the guild. *insert more on this segment*.
• Successfully rewinding time, you most exit the guild into the past and locate Durial. The fight will be epic... think Nomad, just harder (or perhaps not, Dark's still killing himself trying to kill Nomad). During this fight Durial will accuse you of being Guthix, among other interesting foods-of-thought.
• Return to the guild and fast-forward to the present. On your way to Grandeur, to speak with your future-self, you will notice two omens - Durial and yourself. Panicking, you run forward to try and stop yourself handing Durial the items. You will, of course, fail... and, well, you can probably see where I'm going.
• This segment is surprisingly easy, merely tell your past-you what to do.

The quest needs to end somewhere. Possibly when you exit the Guild and Grandeur's gargoyles will laugh at you, seemingly aware of you you'd just done. Or... the moment you return to the present it's quest-over, with aiding past-you merely being a required postal-script. I suppose that's the only issue with having a quest with no true questmaster. Mythics: Stagnant Discussion - Page 19 49087

February 14th, 2010;
Spoiler:
February 13th, 2010;
Spoiler:
October 1st, 2009;
Spoiler:

Last edited by 3mptylord on Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:28 am; edited 25 times in total
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 7344

http://3mptylord.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Mythics: Stagnant Discussion - Page 19 Empty Re: Mythics: Stagnant Discussion

Post by Dragon78114 Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:06 pm

Honestly, I think everyone here is over-thinking it.

Everyone has their own opinions and unfortunately, no consensus has been made... I honestly think we should stick with something simple, to avoid even more, pointless conflict in the time when we can have this FINISHED. -.-

EDIT: I honestly feel this thread should be closed, and a new forum devoted to ALL of the topics addressed to have an individual thread. That will be SO much easier to handle because we're switching back and forth from topic to topic in no apparent order, and it is SO confusing to follow, and honestly I think this is why we're so damn confused and angry!

Dragon78114
Partisan
Partisan

Number of posts : 1668

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:50 pm

Dragon78114 wrote:Um... That's how I imagined the Mythic's Guild entrance... That there are only the statues of Heracles' labors. You might want to improve your description. Wink Honestly, there probably are people more mythical than Heracles.

I think I choose Heracles solely because Dark Silvania was releasing his labour pictures at the time. I love how I've got everyone calling him "Heracles". It's a greek myth, yet his romanized name "Hercules" is more common. Wink

Also, Heracles' labors are the only statues at the entrance. You're imagining correctly. But there is plenty of outside.

Mythics: Stagnant Discussion - Page 19 Flames_of_Lloigh-enn

That was the inspiration to the guild entrance... the gate doesn't lead onto a structure. There were suppose to be relics scattered throughout the guild... on the lawns, in fountains, lining the hallways of the building, etc. Tongue

Also, about Durial's origin. How about him being a legend who recently elevated to status of Myth because he protected his people from annihilation. Upon entering the guild, he realizes that it is time that his people will die out, and Guthix comes in and rebuilds the place. Misinterpreting this evidence, he thinks Guthix is the one who destroyed his home, whereas in actuality, his people killed themselves off with plagues and wars. Guthix is merely trying to restore life, but feeling heroic and mythic, he decides to take on the god. There, he waits around for someone rather foolish, but at the same time extremely powerful. And thus, with time, you arrive, and Durial takes advantage of you.

That's sort of what already happens... kinda. We don't know his achievements, although I don't think we need to know why he's a myth. Within the guild he learns of his people's downfall, and hearing of how Guthix created the world he assumes him to have been the destroyer of his world. He waits around for a gullible hero to aid him, as he has no idea how to quell a god.

Also, just one thing I noticed. Before you enter the guild proper, Durial stops you. That won't make sense since the way the Guild has been recently described, the Entrance is in YOUR time, whereas the actual guild exists in ALL time. The only way Durial can contact you would be, therefore, in the Guild. So perhaps, he meets you in the relic room, and that would also make sense if we move all of the statues inside there as well.

The guild is everything beyond the gate... everything within the guild is in guild time, including the pathway. The "guild" encompasses the entire grounds, not just the building. Tongue

Jeeves wrote:The whole Guild walkway thing always threw me off...I think we had it worked out to where time "flowed" sort of like it does normally, so that people can come and go in their own time, but that time doesn't "pass" so that Durial *could* conceivably sit and wait for everyone to pass him by.

Aahhh. Yeah, since there is no time in the guild everyone would enter the guild at once... so the pathway was made somewhat out of sync. You know, we could just use poetic license here. Or, the guild exists in a separate time... going for a Narnia effect. The guild can be accessed throughout time, but there is a separate time within the guild which happens infinitely faster than realtime. Thus, if someone entered the guild 10,000 years ago from when you entered, there's only a 5 minute difference within the guild. Pfft, I don't think we really need to explain this bit. We could just gloss over it... again, poetic license. Wink

-1) WHO IS DURIAL?
A hero in his own time who entered the Guild right before his world was destroyed in hopes of permanently delaying it until he could find a way to defeat the god or set things straight some other way

-2) WHY DOES HE NEED OUR HELP?
Over countless millennia, he has gathered enough information from passing legends to start formulating a way to beat Guthix. We're just the first adventurer who's willing to help him out.

-3) WHAT ROLE DOES THE GUILD PLAY IN ALL THIS?
The Guild is a collection, of sorts, of legends from across time and space. It could be useful as a secondary objective, but it's really just utilized in the main quest to go through time.

Good. Although I've given myself something to overthink about... you can tell me to overlook it if you think it's not worth thinking about. Guthix built the world on a barren plain... so if Durial's world was there then Guthix was actually being evil. Although I still think it's farfetched that Durial got into the guild perfectly before, there should be some period of difference. But then, surely the world was in ruin and not worth saving... so why would Durial go through all the fuss? Confuse

Wait a minute, economic truth. He never specified when. When he found the world it might have been barren, but that doesn't mean it was at the beginning of the first age. Etch-a-sketch theory... maybe he gave the previous world the same warning "I'll start again if you don't stop fighting" (eventually he's got to take the hint that fighting will happen Tongue). Regardless or not of if you agree with the etch-a-sketch theory, I'm going to use it to satisfy my overthinking. Guthix could have turned up during a God War of sorts, and initiated the banhammer. Durial ran to the only place he knew... Smile

Surely there must have been other Mythics' in his time? No 3mpty... *slaps*.

EDIT: I honestly feel this thread should be closed, and a new forum devoted to ALL of the topics addressed to have an individual thread. That will be SO much easier to handle because we're switching back and forth from topic to topic in no apparent order, and it is SO confusing to follow, and honestly I think this is why we're so damn confused and angry!

You keep saying that, and I probably will do it. But I'm confused as to what you're on about. There's only one thread, plus the one where we're dumping the complete thing. There's no jumping back and forth, it's all happening here. This is the sole and only location of discussion, the other thread is locked and only has like two posts of content in it.
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:12 pm

Should we start a new discussion thread, so everyone can be at the same speed?
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeeves Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:31 pm

I think Durial would go through with the whole thing regardless of whether or not there was anything left to save. He's crazy enough to fight a god, he's crazy enough to try and save a dead world.
Jeeves
Jeeves
Advocate

Number of posts : 606

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:58 am

Probably. Wink
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:12 am

See, the hardest part of writing a quest involving time is that some players will intentionally try to break the causality loop... damn miscreants. Limits us to factors we can control. Tongue
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon78114 Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:43 am

3mpty, can you lock this?
Dragon78114
Dragon78114
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Handeath Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:44 am

But first, use your admin powers to cut and paste the labors into their own threads!
Handeath
Handeath
Advocate

Number of posts : 955

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruy112 Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:48 am

Idea, what if we leave the guild without telling ourselves to stop Durial, another omen will appear telling us to tell us to stop Durial? Tongue
Ruy112
Ruy112
Partisan
Partisan

Number of posts : 1623

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon78114 Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:05 am

keeping everything inside the guild won't destroy the fabric of time and space, no matter how wrinkled it may be.
Dragon78114
Dragon78114
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:06 am

Dragon78114 wrote:keeping everything inside the guild won't destroy the fabric of time and space, no matter how wrinkled it may be.

Hm?

Also, we could just use game-logic (similar to Recipe for Disaster). Everything functions as it should (with no paradox-related end of the universe) but, inevitably, your character will do it inevitably. You may not have done it yet, but in the scheme of things it happens (even if you log off and never log on again, it will wait for you to do it).

Thus, not telling yourself to stop Durial doesn't mean it won't happen. Although, if we make it so the quest isn't complete until you do it adds a bit of linear-control. Twisted Evil
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeeves Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:46 am

Yup, I figure that if people try to intentionally stop time from working, the quest just won't continue. Since we have control over time, we can just say that the events will eventually happen. You can enter and the leave the Guild as many times as you like and do nothing at all, but that *one* time you actually do the right thing is the time that you witnessed earlier in the quest. Tongue
Jeeves
Jeeves
Advocate

Number of posts : 606

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:21 am

That's why I had it so they couldn't f*ck up the dialogue... if they don't perform the quest in a linear fashion, it will just blackscreen with no function port-key style time travel. Tongue
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 19 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 17, 18, 19