The Suggestion Site
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Revamp on Bosses

3 posters

Go down

A Revamp on Bosses Empty A Revamp on Bosses

Post by MorbiusMonster Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:46 pm

Bosses, the final obstacle for any protagonist. A final test of determination, strength and intelligence... or at least they really should be.

The RuneScape boss feels no different to any other ordinary foe in my opinion, save for the fact that they present more of a challenge at the end of a quest. I think a little work should be designed to make these bosses seem more impressive.

For starters, their life bars (or health bars if you prefer) should be located differently. Since this boss is your primary focus of combat at this stage, its life bar should be on a fixed point of the screen, either at the side or on the top in a vertical or horizontal position respectively. The life bar could be stylized accordingly to match the nature of the foe, i.e. Elvarg's would be shrouded in flames and look bestial, the likes of the Culinarocromancer should look like it was made of cooking utensils, or simply an emblem associated with the boss should be used, such as a facial expression or a symbol of their allegiance. It should be noted that this enemy is one worth focussing on, because their life bar is placed specially for you to see on the screen.

Bosses should employ more varied combat than simply point and click, and a player should feel like this is no ordinary enemy just hitting back with conventional moves and test nothing more than strength. It should have moves that no other enemy uses to test determination against facing such a threat, and there should be real strategy towards fighting it i.e. which weapons are most powerful and larger enemies could have weak points that calculated combat can expose. This is no ordinary foe, express that.

Also, make it so that the enemy wants to prevent your escape. Cowards who pretend to be heroes are things these bosses really want to put down, and they should express that by making escape on foot to be much harder. Barriers, traps, anything to render escape by foot to be but a folly. Teleport would still work, because it shows intelligence, but escape on foot needs to be trickier. It might make people think twice about running head first into danger.

Oh and some fights are worth remembering. Allow means of an Action Replay, where we can see our foes being defeated again and again. And if you really wish to make it seem all that more epic, play a really decent blow in slow motion.

Obviously, enhancing boss battles would be a choice, and options such as action replays or life bars can be switched on and off accordingly in the Graphics options.
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Number of posts : 2641

Back to top Go down

A Revamp on Bosses Empty Re: A Revamp on Bosses

Post by The Empty Lord Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:06 am

Obviously, not all bosses in the game are actually signification in anyway. When you fight the Khazard general you don't expect to be fighting some mystical creature that can summon spikes from the ground, he's just a mildly superior usual character.

"Teleport would still work, because it shows intelligence, but escape on foot needs to be trickier."
^
Because the "auto-retaliate spell" and "teleport other spell" that a lot of quest bosses have doesn't already do this. I remember the first time I faced NaNa, I tried to run and he kept teleporting me back to him... frustrating! (I don't think teleports were working, either that or I forgot to top up on laws - I do teleport everywhere and anywhere).

"simply point and click"
^ That's only the case for heroes doing quests they are too good for. If you are appropriately or too lower levelled, it becomes a challenge - having to eat so has to conserve food, using the right spells, prayers, etc. It'd be nice if combat styles were more distinctly varied, but... *shrugs*

Killing the Jungle Demon in my level 59-69s was fun, way back when. Level 39 ranged with telegrab: the slowest boss kill I think I've ever had. Tongue

The real solution would be making all enemies' levels relative to your own; perhaps with upper and lower limits. Thus, a quest boss remains more challenging for a greater variation of levels.

I think combat would too quickly become a daunting task if this was made the case for even a large number of quests. But I think it's a worthwhile pursuit.

Last edited by 3mptylord on Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 7344

http://3mptylord.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MorbiusMonster Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:09 am

Oh, and one other thing. Have a little communication once in a while. Bosses should say something a little more often, depending on the situation.

Random quotes could include;

"That was luck!" - If you hit first.
"Now you've asked for it!" - When boss may be down to half life.
"So, that's how you want to play it?" - When a foe is about to change combat style.
"Now I'm really angry!" - When the player does high damage.
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Number of posts : 2641

Back to top Go down

Post by Gladzosaurus Rex Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:54 am

Could rename them to corny quotes while you're at it.

In terms of weaknesses and 'stronger than usual' weaponry, it would take about ten people to find out what to use, and 20 minutes to spread it to the rest of the runescape community. It sounds nice and all, but in terms of strategy one can prepare for beforehand, all of those changes will ultimately be meaningless. Sure it'll give more variation if you use a longsword for Elvarg and a scimitar for the Legend's quest demon, but it's meaningless.

If you aren't going to block teleporting, revamping the manner in which to flee from bosses will achieve nothing either.

Just sayin'
Gladzosaurus Rex
Gladzosaurus Rex
Proselyte

Number of posts : 145

http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/index.php?

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:15 pm

Just using a longsword or scimitar (etc) already applies? 'cept it's crush, stab, ranged, etc. But they're so minimal in their effect that it makes no difference usually. If I remember correctly the dungeoneering dungeons have made it more obvious... you can actually see the difference in stab and slash weapons.
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 7344

http://3mptylord.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Gladzosaurus Rex Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:46 am

I'd actually like to see the combat style thing revamped, where you can do attack, strength, defence and controlled with weapons, or not all of them such as removing strength from the whip; but have it separated from another style box where you select stab, slash and crush attack style. Would allow for much more variation in weapons alone as you're now either forced to a certain style while training a skill or to a certain skill when using the proper style.
Gladzosaurus Rex
Gladzosaurus Rex
Proselyte

Number of posts : 145

http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/index.php?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down