The Suggestion Site
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Drystan, Guardian of the Stone Diamond

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Drystan, Guardian of the Stone Diamond Empty Drystan, Guardian of the Stone Diamond

Post by TATORZ Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:44 am

This is where I'll post Drystan's subsection...

Drystan, the fallen king, ruled over what is now east kandarin, his kingdom ranging from as far south as the Legends Guild, as north as Sinclair Mansion, and as west as McGrubbor woods. The most important border, though, was to the east - White Wolf Mountain.

During the God Wars, Zamorak's army attempted to push over the mountain and take over Kandarin. Drystan's warriors kept them at bay and even managed to push them back as far as Ice Mountain. Unfortunately, this was also their downfall. To protect the territory they took, Drystan sent a large section of his army to Ice Mountain to make an outpost. As they reached the base of the mountain, they were attacked from the south, north, and west. The soldiers were decimated, along with any reinforcements sent to help.

With a huge part of the army gone, Drystan struggled to just hold White Wolf Mountain. Slowly but surely, Zamorak was pushing over the mountain. Just when all hope seemed lost, the attacking stopped.

The villagers figured that Zamorak lost interest in the land, but rumors spread that Drystan sold his soul to Zamorak to save his kingdom.

Years past. Drystan's queen is aging while he doesn't seem to be a day older. Drystan kneeled next to his wife's deathbed until the moment her breathing stopped. He followed her down to the catacombs where a giant open cavern would be used as a burial chamber. As he stepped into the cave, he ordered the casket placed in the center of the cave and everyone to leave. As soon as everyone had left, he grabbed hold of a boulder and sealed the entrance.

Rumor has it, Drystan can still be found in the catacombs, sitting on a throne of Granite.

A sad end to a once great king.

The above quote is from a tatty history book containing only one page, found at the base of a mirror on a pedestal of stone. It's completely true until one part. Drystan did sell something to Zamorak, but it wasn't his soul, it was his heart. As Zamorak walked away with Drystan's heart, he could be heard saying 'Immortality is a curse, Drystan, do not take it lightly.' Drystan still had something where his heart once laid, but it was nothing alive, it was a diamond.

Last edited by TATORZ on Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:06 pm; edited 10 times in total
TATORZ
TATORZ
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Number of posts : 2458

Back to top Go down

Drystan, Guardian of the Stone Diamond Empty Re: Drystan, Guardian of the Stone Diamond

Post by The Empty Lord Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:29 pm

Ooh Tongue

... But being overthrown isn't quite a sorrowful as having watched those you love die. Wasn't Waldo from Misthalain, alway?
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 7344

http://3mptylord.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Drystan, Guardian of the Stone Diamond Empty Re: Drystan, Guardian of the Stone Diamond

Post by Dark Avorian Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:57 pm

As everyone around him grew old, for some reason [he] didn't seem to age

insert the thing in brackets...

Also great stuff. Echoing 3mpty though I'm pretty sure waldo was of misthalin
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Number of posts : 3550
Location : Within the hallowed halls of the mighty, those known only as nobles.

Back to top Go down

Post by TATORZ Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:43 pm

Is he? Aww... oh well.
TATORZ
TATORZ
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:03 am

Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:29 am

3mptylord wrote:... But being overthrown isn't quite a sorrowful as having watched those you love die.

Although in your version he didn't have any loved ones. Dang, so his reason for selling his soul was selfish and arrogant rather than martyrdom and short-sighted?

What did you have in mind for his appearance, again? I was going to redraw him and go for a granite armour type rock rather than gravel. Tongue
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TATORZ Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:33 am

I thought he would be tall, lean, with muscle features... but not buff. And solid, obviously, since he's made of stone...

And no moss Tongue

Well... it could be taken either way. He sold his heart to keep his kingdom safe, but also to save himself. I may explain on this... I don't think he imagined turning to stone or practically becoming insane...
TATORZ
TATORZ
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:44 am

With epic stone armour?
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by TATORZ Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:45 am

No... he's made of stone.
TATORZ
TATORZ
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:46 am

So the king who was so amazing and drove back his enemies wore no armour
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by TATORZ Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:48 am

Not when he got exiled...
TATORZ
TATORZ
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:49 am

...generally i think people wear armour (if they have it) when going into exile, is it that unimagineable that it turned into stone
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:12 am

... when your skin begins to turn to stone - and expand, I imagine that your mass would increase due to this - any armour you may have been wearing would have broken off. It's like the Hulk only Drystan doesn't keep his dignity in a pair of purple pants... he just gets the smooth treatment. Tongue

I don't know about the theme though... I imagined Drystan being a sorrowful character, someone to pitty and really care for. He sold his heart so that he wouldn't die... the deal he made was beside the point. Also... the condition on his deal was that he could not fall to the blade of his enemy (not just blade, it's just worded like that for effect). Whilst being stabbed in the back by his kingdom (not literally, though that would work) works as a story... it also doesn't at the same time, kinda. I'm confusing myself trying to explain this. It's like... he can only be hurt emotionally, but the scenario doesn't do that as well as it could.

Also, whilst I'd use the word exile myself and so I don't blame you, doesn't exile kinda mean forbidden-to-enter-this-land? You can't be exiled to the sewers in the get out of here kinda sense. You can be forced into the catacombs and thus live in exile, but when you say that his people exiled him... well, he doesn't just climb down the nearest drainpipe if people are chasing him with pitchforks. Tongue
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TATORZ Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:46 am

I couldn't think of a better word Tongue

What if he never fell ill and just sold his heart so his kingdom wasn't destroyed? Zamorak's forces pushed over the mountain, and it was the only thing to stop them.

After losing his throne and being overthrown by a peasant he sealed himself into the catacombs. Who wouldn't be saddened by that... he sold his heart to save his kingdom, only to be turned on by them.

I'll change the story to that... I like it. Just... I wanted him to be seen as great. If he was a great commander, then falling ill would be the only thing to prevent him from defending.
TATORZ
TATORZ
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:57 am

Well...that depends on the extent of the catacombs...

...Whoever said he turned to stone and expanded? I always imagined him as having become who he was in a more magical means during his reign...and then turning to stone later...Also giatn armoured stone guy just looks way cooler than naked stone guy with the smooth treatment
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:18 am

I didn't say turned to stone AND expanded... turning to stone would cause his mass to expand. It's not just Superman but with rock instead of whatever he is. To be even a remotely interesting foe he has to be big and bulky... even if it's just a guy wearing full granite but he is the granite and not wearing it. Armoured, for sure, but not armour... an armadillo isn't wearing anything. In fact, in the current version I'm drawing now his armour had an impact on the shape his body is... as it did provide some restraint before it eventually cracked and fell away. Meow

Turning to stone would have been gradual, the effects of a stone heart. He would have looked human initially, merely invulnerable. But... like Doom from the Fantastic Four, his transformation into metal was gradual, a cut that wouldn't heal. Almost like the skin was just left on. Or... like the roots of a tree can rip apart concrete! The stone slowly overcame him as he sat on his throne - or in TATz story, during his reign.

When I said smooth I merely meant he has nothing there. Confuse

Also, being overthrown is just a kick in the nuts. It's nothing that remorseful. It's just... yeah, thanks, I sold my heart for you. Growing bitter in your throne as your queen ages, then at her death bed, then by her tomb stone, and still you sit on your throne and never age. Your people fear you and leave, the buildings crumble, the ruins are swept away. Your mind slowly dies within its eternal shell. It's possible that he was in the catacombs because he's sat by his queens grave, even if nature has claimed it before we arrive.
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:21 am

yeah, oh i thought you were just making him a naked man...

also yeah the story doens't evoke any sorrow for me

Try something like this

"And he watched as his queen grew old but before she died the kingdom banded together and overthrew him, she even supported it...after her funeral he attempted to sneak to teh catacombs...in the attempt he was forced to kill his old friend and the legends say he wept pebbles as he did it...he made his way to the tomb of his queen...where he has sat to this day..."
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:26 am

I don't know lol, maybe I'm just being prejudice because I had initially pictured Drystan being a sorrowful character and it's affecting my judgement. Confuse

Last edited by 3mptylord on Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:27 am

I agree.
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by TATORZ Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:28 am

omg.

First of all, I'm not done yet.

Second of all, I also want to get that feeling. I'M WORKING ON IT!

Third of all, since I changed the story again, it opens up opportunities for that kind of stuff. The only reason I didn't have it in the first place is because the way I had written it.

Lastly... crying pebbles? Sounds humorous... Tongue

So please. Stop arguing over my story... at least not without my consent. You guy's are fighting over what YOU want. I might want it too, but I'd really like to talk about it, too.
TATORZ
TATORZ
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:29 am

*slaps TATORZ*
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:29 am

Spoiler:
Better?
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TATORZ Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:31 am

Much, ty Wink
TATORZ
TATORZ
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:32 am

I like last one better...this one...well i just cant think of it as ever having been human
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by TATORZ Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:34 am

You liked Mr Mossy Beerbelly better than that?

*sigh*

Whatever. Maybe I'll try to draw how I see him and sneak a scan.
TATORZ
TATORZ
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next