The Suggestion Site
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Incredibally Holey Logic

3 posters

Go down

Incredibally Holey Logic Empty Incredibally Holey Logic

Post by The Empty Lord Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:03 am

Only in recent discussion has it really dawned on my that humanity has not developed in the slightest since appearing here in what we previously thought was a 1st Age. Ardougne was founded in our adventures in Meeting History, but survived some twenty millennia. Possible, but highly improbably considering the elven empire of 1st and 2nd age, as well as the Great War - even further improbability is that we still use the same architecture!

Although, with the exception of the Barrows Brothers, we have no evidence that humanity existed before the war. Yes, we have some humanoid spirits fighting for Saradomin... but they could be of magic! And yes, the cursed of Zaros appear human, but there's no evidence that they aren't merely human-like. So, I blurted this out in the chat. I am going to assume Dark will be the least impressed, but oh well. Tongue

It is said Guthix opened the portal of life and from it we walked, and that the elves watched this... could this not have happened after the war? The Great War claimed the lands, and naught was left but a baron landscape. The deepest scar lining the Misthalainian continent. Guthix awoke from his dreams, and quelled the fighting. With the world in ruin, he reopened the portal of life. Through it walked many beasts, from worlds a-sunder and thus began the Age of Beasts.

Weeping, Guthix returned to the earth where he would rest for another indefinate period of time. Mankind saw the ruins of former empires, and the writings and scriptures they left behind; they spoke of gods and war, and from this mankind started a-fresh. Through time, the distorted preechings of wisen old men became the source of hatred between mankind- several of the fables more prominant characters being worshiped as gods.

But the land was not empty from their begining, older civilizations surived the war and rebirth, the Elves watched as humanity grasped the planet. But mankinds influence was far greater than anyone could have anticipated - even the stories of those who knew, became distorted with the fancy tales of the hairless-monkies.

In their early days, mankind had as many as a hundred gods - each a different interpritation of the stories. But, as their number dropped... Ruy had to go to dinner and I went on a tangent, I never picked up from here.

*slightly different time of entry*

Guthix quelled the wrath of the gods, but he could not bring himself to banish it's people. He reopened the portal of life so that maybe the war could be drowned. The portal lets through many beings, from all corners of creation. However, through the portal also stepped mankind. Overwhelmed, the human condition did what they did best - they survived, and prospered.

They took up arms and faught until they won the war - using stolen technology and merryments. Demonkind were excilled; the goblins, without leader, fled, orcs and the greater bandites were made extinct; whilst the Vyre were being pushed in Morytania. (This explains how there is some evidence of mankind in the remnants of the war.)

Guthix wept, but allowed this final battle to continue. (from here continues the previous section)

We already know that Armadyl's races went extinct during the war, and the only main, sapient followers we know to have served Saradomin was the icyene - but we only need to look at existing backstory for their demise. The centaurs and such are still around. Tongue

Aside from the monks saying "Saradomin arrived here" and Laura's memory, we have nothing to suggest humans were here before the War. And Laura's memory could have easily been of the planet's rebirth - we just misinterpretted it because we knew no better.

2000 years is enough for whole civilizations to have come and gone with little-to-no evidence of them existing at all. Smile

Last edited by 3mptylord on Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 7344

http://3mptylord.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Incredibally Holey Logic Empty Re: Incredibally Holey Logic

Post by Dark Avorian Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:41 am

Okay.

1) Please read that aloud to yourself, cut the crap, remove the flowery language and get to the god damn point.

2) Great War = God Wars?
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Number of posts : 3550
Location : Within the hallowed halls of the mighty, those known only as nobles.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:48 am

Great War is the God Wars lol. And this was just copied from the chatbox, I didn't re-read it. I might word better in lines - I'll go over it in a bit.
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:50 am

However. I am inclined to agree with this (collective gasps). It is ridiculous that in a world such as runescape a city such as ardougne would have survived so many millenia.
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:16 am

Were humans in the war? Or do we write them out? In fact, humans could have been there the whole time if not for Meeting History - mere nomads like those in Rellekka.
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:44 am

there is one concrete reference I have found...Ceril Carnillean's ancestors drove off Hazeel during the third age
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:54 am

You know what, I think that it's just Meeting History. That quest is the only flaw. However, for some reason, I'm convincing myself that I must try and get it to fit. But even if the quest never existed... Confuse

Our Pharaoh queen, like Robert the Strong used to, currently exists out of time? Doesn't she? We assume she is 2nd Age because she flames Zaros. If she meant Zamorak, then everything would be sorted... but she also said that the Stern were still warriors of Icthlarin. Unless she is not human? But then there's a near bio-replica of the human race, humans did precede the war. But even the desert isn't very full-proof. The last known siege on the desert was during the war - so, like the rest of humanity, approximately 4069 years and the sand-people have not recovered in the slightest? Do we know for sure that the Mahjarrat have only served Icthlarin once? *rips hair out*

I know *holds legs and rocks back and forth* she's lying! She's just playing with our minds *eyes widen and laughs breathlessly*
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TATORZ Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:56 am

*stares blankly*
TATORZ
TATORZ
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Number of posts : 2458

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:07 pm

The Basics of Magic
A Primer in the Mystical Arts

This primer has been collated from years of our research into the metanatural arts commonly known as ‘magic’.

All those wishing to set forth upon the Astral Path should read this primer until the concepts within are fully understood so that their potential may be fully realised.

Chapter 1: Myths & Misconceptions

Those familiar with the history of our people will know that the source of ‘magic’ has always been a contentious issue.

Our Fremennik forefathers believe ‘magic’ to be a possession of the gods, and that our use of it risks far more than any benefits it may bring;

We of course take the more enlightened view that we should use all tools at our disposal for our own betterment.

Beyond any ethical or moral issues surrounding magic however, lies the key question:

What exactly is magic?

The other obvious question that presents itself then would be: Where exactly does it come from?

I intend to explain here how both of these questions are actually the same question phrased differently.'

The first major misconception relating to magic is that the stones we use for our arts somehow contain magic within them.

Although roughly correct, to believe this is how magic works limits your understanding of our own potential, and will prevent you ever achieving the feats which we are all capable of.

Rather, the 'rune stones' that we shape to our purposes serve to focus your own power, rather than containing the power themselves.

A short history of how the runes were first discovered will serve to illuminate this point to you more fully.

As we all know, from the tales told to us in the Secret Tongue, 'magic' was first discovered in these lands by V------- when he accidentally stumbled upon the Stone of J--.

The stone was clearly not of this world, and the mere touch of it unlocked something within the mind of V-------.

As we know, the stone was instantly removed by those powers who walk a higher Astral Path than ourselves, but its very existence showed V------- possibilities that had never occurred to our kind before.

His lifelong search for the stone never did reveal its eventual fate, and the myths suggest that the stone may yet still lie somewhere within this world, but he did discover something of great importance in the caves where first he found the stone; the very rocks that had surrounded it had been subtly changed by its presence.

The rocks in their contact with the Stone of J-- had gained a yearning to be something they were not, and V------- discovered that by focussing thought upon them he could transform them entirely for short periods of time into the very elements of the universe.

This is a mere parlour trick, as many of our young have done the same thing with essence as children, making the cold-burning fire in their hands on summer nights, and V------- knew that should be able to affect a permanent change upon these stones, he could have access to the very powers of the gods themselves!

And so was created the Astral Temple.

This was the first, and to this day we honour those who walked before us on the Astral Path, and prevent it falling into the ruin that this dimension has caused to its counterparts.

By regular concentrated effort of will upon a large dolmen of essence, by a number of people simultaneously, the dolmen was finally convinced that it had become something which it was not. The Astral Rune, symbol of our very way of life, it is a testament to what is possible if we seek understanding.
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:56 pm

Whilst Dark would/has argued that 2000 years isn't enough time for humans to advance, and that bearing in mind the war and such, a medieval culture is reasonable (which is something I don't agree with, but oh well), I still reckon at least the notion that humanity interpreted gods allows room for a lot more play than anything. Ignoring how long you think it would take humanity to advance, I'm surprised that after 2000 years we still worship the gods Saradomin and Zamorak, or any of the other gods. We have no proof that any of them exist - only the words and writings of old that could too have been written through Chinese Whispers. We can assume that the general story may be true, but it's still a stretch. 2000 years of prayer to a hasn't replied - most have never heard of the Edicts, so how does the average person reason this? In real life, it's called Atheism, and it didn't take 2000 years to happen.

The Staff of Armadyl has the Holy Symbol at its base - it would be funny if they were the same god and mankind made them two separate gods in the 2000 years following. Tongue
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:20 pm

Yeah it would also be funny if that god had two armies fighting each other over the godsword during the time they were there eh?
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum