The Suggestion Site
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ardougne

+2
Zectiox
The Empty Lord
6 posters

Go down

Ardougne Empty Ardougne

Post by The Empty Lord Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:11 pm

ARDOUGNE

Ardougne Ardoug23

Ardougne (known briefly as East Ardougne) is the eastern of two districts that form greater Ardougne, and is the capital of Kandarin (or the human capital at any rate). The district itself is split into three suburbs, East Ardougne (commonly referred to as just Ardougne), Ardougne Castle and Lower Ardougne. About Ardougne Castle is a small collection of houses that don’t really belong anywhere and if the city was split fairly would probably lie, with the castle, in West Ardougne.

Though the city walls provide clear boundaries for the city, the farmland nestled in the ravine to the north of the city and the land as far north-east as, and including the Ranged Guild all belong to Ardougne.

PRONUNCIATION

Pronunciation of the city’s name varies. The received standard is Arr-doyn, rhyming with coin; however, it’s just as commonly spoken as Arr-doon, rhyming with moon. Some regional dialects add an 'oh' sound after the initial 'ar' sound; Aro-doyn and Aro-doon.

HISTORY

Originally founded shortly after the Gods’ War, Ardougne provided a fortified-bastion for humanity as the many races, with the gods now gone, fighting for control of the land in place of a god’s favour. It’s location atop a ravine that gorged the land proved an excellent vantage point for Ardougne; forcing their enemies into a confined space. That same ravine now serves as a trading route through Ardougne.

When dispute for the land subsided Ardougne was abandoned; the lighthouse and old fort to the north (now ranging guild) are two of few surviving structures from the original city.

In the late fourth age the city was re-established as a small trading town, relying on trade from the Southern Sea to sustain itself. In year 1864, fourth age, the city was declared capital of Kandarin.

PRE-ARDOUGNE

Although Ardougne is a relatively new city, the history which surrounds it is far more ancient. Since the First Age, the land upon which Ardougne now stands has been key to the survival of many races in the region.

LATE-ARDOUGNE

The city remained proud capital until the death of King Ulthas Ardignas in year 107 of the fifth age. With no single heir to the throne, his sons Tyras and Lathas divided Ardougne into the two cities East Ardougne and West Ardougne. In 167, King Tyras left to explore the Elven lands to the west, abandoning West Ardougne.

In his absence, King Lathas declared a state of quarantine on West Ardougne and commissioned a wall to section it off from the rest of the city, reinstated the name Ardougne for his portion and re-declared it as the capital of Kandarin – which had no official capital for the sixty years in between.

King Tyras returned almost a year later to find his city inaccessible. He pleads with his brother to stop being petty for the sake of his people but the words fall upon deaf ears. King Tyras left soon after, never to return.

RECENT HISTORY

When King Lathas announced that West Ardougne had come down with a plague, the aristocracy that reined in East Ardougne jumped to blame the dirty vagabonds in the lower of the city and their passing trade – ordering that the city gates to the east be closed and the bridges barricaded.

Whilst very foreboding, there are still two means into the city; through the sewers and an Agility shortcut to the north-east of the city. The sewers do contain an agility course but the course is not required to make the passage – thus, no additional requirements need be added to the Biohazard quest. However, Elena will highlight the route to players during the quest (as Jerico’s house is within East Ardougne). Be sure to remain out of sight, however, if the guards catch you, you will be thrown out! Note this isn’t some bogus teleport expel, the guards will shout and chase you – if you manage to hide, you’re in the clear. Don’t worry, it’s not like the many minigames/instances where they cast something and it’s game over the moment they see you.

Lower Ardougne and the area in-and-around the castle is always accessible; through the portcullises under the north bridge (though they have been inoperable for years), through the lower-east gate and from the south (as well as other non-walking means mentioned below).

Castle Ardougne and the surrounding houses are also always accessibly. However, from the offset only the north gate provides access to this part of the city. Even if you manage to get into East Ardougne there is no way across the bridges. The stairwell to the south/north of the Battlefield will only become usable upon completion of the Tree Gnome Village quest/after defeating their warlord.

Upon completion of Biohazard, bridges into East Ardougne will be opened and the east gate traversable. Additionally, the north stairwell will become accessible as the guards have been informed to let you pass as an attempt to bribe you, from the King.

TRANSPORTATION

Other routes into East Ardougne include;
• Two stairwells accessed from the Thieves’ Guild. They are locked on the inside, so once you’ve gone through them once they become two-way portcullises.
• The Legends’ Guild dungeon provides route to an orchard. Though the orchard’s gate, much like the stairwells of the Thieves’ Guild, is locked on the inside once you’ve completed the Legends’ Quest you’ll be able to use this route through the city.

Transportation into Ardougne;
• Teleportation – a player may teleport to the centre of Ardougne marketplace in Lower Ardougne with the Ardougne teleport spell, requiring level 51 magic, a teleport tablet or access to a house portal. Upon completion of Plague City players will be able to relocate the teleport to just west of the main bridge.
• Spirit tree – located within the ravine, between the two bridges above. Players may only use this method if they have completed the Tree Gnome Village quest.
• Sailing – the docks to the east of Lower Ardougne provide ships to and from many locations, Barnaby’s ship to Brimhaven and the Charter ships being the main two vessels. Upon making the return journey from Candarn Isle, voyage to Cardarn Isle will become available.
• A teleport lever – near the gates to West Ardougne there is a small house containing a two-way teleport lever. This lever can take players between the Deserted Keep in the wilderness and that house in Ardougne. A one-way lever can be found in Edgeville that takes players from Edgeville to the Deserted Keep. Players can use this to make a quick journey between Edgeville and Ardougne as the lever in the Deserted Keep will only take players back to Ardougne. Be warned: if you are teleblocked the lever are inoperable.
• Ardougne Cloak - the reward for completely the hard tasks provides teleportation to the monastery north of the city, as well as limited teleportation to the farmland north of East Ardougne.
• Combat Brace - teleports players to the Ranging Guild.

RuneScape's Wikia
"Ardougne" would take players to a page currently named "East Ardougne", and there would be a link at the top will state "Due to recent changed in-game you might be looking for Greater Ardougne". This page would show the above information.

"Greater Ardougne" would link players to a page currently named "Ardougne", with details about the city that existed upto to the death of King Ulthas, as well as something information about Early Ardougne. Someone really needs to fix the current "Ardougne" page as it states "Ardougne was made the capital of Kandarin in Year 164 of the Fourth Age" - which goes against Ardounge being founded in the late Fourth Age on every other page talking about it. I added an 8, 1864, to my information above. I suppose it could have meant Fifth Age, but the date Tyras left would have to be made earlier - so something is inaccurate. Tongue

"East Ardougne" would re-direct to "Ardougne", and an additional link (below the one one) would ask "Did you mean East Ardougne (District)". After a few months "East Ardougne" could be redirected to "East Ardougne (District) with a link at the top saying "Did you mean the city of Ardougne" - this is once players are used to the names.

"West Ardounge" remains unchanged.

Last edited by 3mptylord on Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:33 am; edited 3 times in total
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 7344

http://3mptylord.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Ardougne Empty Re: Ardougne

Post by The Empty Lord Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:15 am

The evolution of the map...

3mptylord wrote:Ardougne Ardoug13

The only new key icon is the Blue arrow, which implies a route from the upper level to the lower level. On the map it would probably just be ladders, but... since it's a building with two main-floors, I thought it would be better to be more boldly illustrated. On the current map the first-UK/second-US floor is hidden. On this map... would it be the ground-UK/first-US floor shown? Or the first-UK/second-US?

The only times not illustrated by this arrow is the agility course/pipe route, and the Legends' Guild. Oh yeah, I put the Legends' Guild there to see how it looks and Ardougne Zoo north of the city. I'm going to see how it looks in Dark's suggested position although opinions would be nice. Smile

Also, next time I update it I'm adding a Thieving Icon. It just dawned on my that Slayer has a Slayer Icon rather than a minigame/d&d icon... so Thieving could do to have the same. Smile

• That new pub, can't remember it's name lol, is now to the North of the (east) Ardougne.
• The combat training building attached to the current Legends' position is a barracks for the guards/paladins. Players cannot use it as a short-cut to the guild, although there is a door visible attached to the path on the inside. (always locked)
• I moved the property salesman near the upper class market, and I've labelled the servant's quarter with the same symbol (before noticing that isn't labelled.
• Ardogune's main agility shortcut is still there, it's just a fishing aid now in Lower Ardougne. (as you can see, it's not very convenient to try and get across).
• Speaking of, there's another agility shortcut near the Thieves' Guild. It makes the route to the bank just that much quicker.

I think I got everything else.

3mptylord wrote:Ardougne Ardoug15

I made the decision *sheepish grin* that the Legends' Guild looks better inside the city. Wink

• The three blue "doors" are actually window-stalls, and the actual entrances (still marked in red) are locked and require thieving to break in). (after looking at the image they almost aren't visible - look near the bank)
• Speaking of, the unlabelled store sells artwork and portraits for your POH.
• The apothecary sells Constitution potions and wears the raven-beak "plague mask". Health potions which increase your max-constitution by a certain amount; comes in weak, mild and mature which increase by increasing percentages and for an increased amount of time. Amount of time being the increase is permanent for a while before dropping.
• The armour store next to the apothecary is a general-smithing store - sells armour and weapons, whilst the other armour store only sells bodies.
• Various cloth stores sell various fashions.
• The herblore store has a little garden with a herb patch. You'll have to ask permission first - but still, a herb patch! Grin
• The pub in Lower Ardougne can be the first runner-up to the pub guaranteed content poll!
• The transportation symbol just to the west of the slums is a fairy ring. The one on the little walkway north of Witchaven is also.
• The rune shop will have some room for speculation. The whole house seems built around a Runecraft Altar - one of the archs is the doorway, two make up windows (with a crossbar added to make the base of the frame) and the fourth the hearth of a fireplace with a large cauldron. The four little stumps have been dug up and pushed closer to the altar to make table and chairs. The table is covered in paper work, books and jars that it's almost not obvious it's glowing slightly.
• The fishing spots around the docks are for new "Line fishing"; for crabs and other small crustacean. The crabs come in small, medium and large and can all be cooked or sold to nearby stores. Horseshoe crabs and various other wildlife can also be sold, but could have other uses. Smile
• The stores going through the pass are travelling merchants who offer slightly better prices than those elsewhere. They do not have stalls, but rather carry their stock in packs.
• The fishing store on the little outcrop near the castle is owned by someone who doesn't quite look human. His fishing outfit is bursting at the seems and much to short on the arms and legs. To add to his obvious non-human appearance, he speaks in grunts.
• He has trunks of gold "hidden" in his cabin and will pay bountiful amounts for raw fish (specifically the ones fished outside his house). This is a D&D however, and he'll only buy a certain amount a day. But at the prices he's paying? Why not?!

3mptylord wrote:Ardougne Ardoug17

I was doing this while you were doing that, lol.

I haven't renovated the old market area, but that's how the market looks in Lower Ardougne. I'm going to have to make a bit more room to get the shape and size right, but that's kinda how it will look.

Is that what you meant by extend slums?

Other changes;
• Carved-stepped pathway up the cliff-face to the north of the city.
• Added distraction and diversion icon to the fishing guy.

3mptylord wrote:Ardougne Ardoug23

Thar? Grin

• The market has been moved south of the main bridge. Whilst it's been rotated, it's size is mostly unchanged.
• Maggie a long with a handful of travelling gypsys lie in the ravine (their caravans wouldn't actually be visible on the map).
• The Monastery has been moved north of the Zoo.
• The Spirit Tree know lies within the two bridges.
• The Property Developer is has been moved a tad.
• Lighthouse has been added south of the Zoo. (Ruy suggested it and with Ruy's usual lack of input, ain't that right Ruy, I jumped to add something of his Wink)

I apologise about the latest picture quality... I must've clicked something. Confuse

3mptylord wrote:Ardougne Ish10

3mptylord wrote:Ardougne Epic_d10

I love paint lol. Grin

Last edited by 3mptylord on Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:58 am; edited 1 time in total
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zectiox Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:26 am

WOW

Im speachless.. its jus wonderfull, awesome and this will sure bring more people to Ardougne.. A great, wonderfull, awesome idea with the districts, a lower and higher just.. wow Ardougne 54687Grin:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

you posted some twice but it doesn't matter Ardougne 612280 still wow.. fabulous work.. *__*

Edit: My computer gave me like a copied of every picture 2-3 times so I was confused, but now it's fine, sry 3mpty

Last edited by Zectiox on Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Zectiox
Zectiox
Advocate

Number of posts : 743

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:53 am

I repeated bits? Shock
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Handeath Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:00 am

What is this I don't even
Handeath
Handeath
Advocate

Number of posts : 955

Back to top Go down

Post by Zectiox Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:13 am

hmm well I checked when I wrote it but now it only shows it once.. deeply sorry 3mpty Shock

but anyway, is there a way to the upper city from inside the lower city?? Grin
Zectiox
Zectiox
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:18 am

Just thought I'd include it in the raid. Smile

P.S. I edited teh post. I repeated loads of it. Tongue

From the lower city, the only ways in are the Sewers and the Legends' Guilds. There are four guards' towers on the outskirts that are unlocked with various requirements - two for Plague City/Biohazard, one for Tree Gnome Village and one for the Thieves' Guild. Smile
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zectiox Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:34 am

I though I saw more than 2-3 of the same posts Grin.. cool

yeah you should really include this in the raid. A hugh update for Ardougne, a "must-read" really nice Grin
Zectiox
Zectiox
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by MorbiusMonster Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:06 am

West Ardougne, East Ardougne, Lower Ardounge...

But not something as simple as Commoner's Quarters, Merchant's Quarters, Docklands and Aristocrat's Quarters?
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Number of posts : 2641

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:27 am

I'm not sure how it's a case of simplicity. I could go for "district", but quarters sound like it's designated... like a ship, or a castle.

Last edited by 3mptylord on Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:33 am; edited 1 time in total
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zectiox Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:32 am

idk but I miss something, still not, around Ardounge Castle.. Just some small houses maybe. Or is the sight over the castle just it Tongue

and sorry for the upcomming suggestions, im just loving creating cities xD

well the below suggestion may be a little overflow for the city itself, so ignore them if they are too poor or too much .P

well why not making a north Ardougne to the north and a South Ardougne to the South. Simple with a farm, some houses and a wooden palisade around? A urban Ardougne? General store.. etc.. to the north (as the space isnt that big maybe no houses or a few of them only...)

to the south could as to the north, a palisade, some houses, maybe a poor Woodcutters hut with a unfuntional sawmill, just for the appearance... A donkey farm (where merchants can switch out their tired donkeys and get a new strong one to stack and transport the stuff.. Grin)

just free to take if you like it would suit the city Grin
Zectiox
Zectiox
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:37 am

There's already a farm in the north and a huge slum to the south. What are you suggesting, lol? Tongue
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zectiox Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:40 am

well I meant outside the city wall but yeah okey Ardougne 612280.. well there's space to the south so, a woodcutters hut Ardougne 612280 just for showing off, and a donkey farm Ardougne 612280

Edit: still Idk what I want to suggest Tongue its 99.9% Perfect, wonderfull, awesome.. its just 00.01% something missing idk ;D.. just something tiny..
Zectiox
Zectiox
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:48 am

Also 'palisade' is probably the wrong choice of word, "fence" would go down better. Tongue

Haha, aren't donkeys a little too close to horses? Wink
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zectiox Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:35 am

fence then Tongue but fence to me is like iiiiii, and Palisade is like llllllll Grin if you know what I mean, but yes,.

if we introduces Horse farm, some could think the "horse"-farm owners will offer mount-skills to them. Donkeys on the other hand, who want to ride on a donkey through out Runescape? a angry, frustrating one? Tongue

Donkeys for me is more a merchant goods-transportation-device Tongue Horses is more a mount, or you know.. something new and newer ever seen before ingame, these donkeys would not be sold to the players, only a merchant-thing...
Zectiox
Zectiox
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:39 am

I think it's an unnecessary provoking of mount-wanters. Wink

Also, I'd never heard the word palisade prior to you using it... even my mum couldn't tell me what it meant. Tongue
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zectiox Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:45 am

palisade... ehmm, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palisade

I took it from my memory of playing Age of Empires and the only defencive "wall" during dark age. Well Palisade is a tall fence of wood (or steel, as of Wikipedia).. and ehm, sorry if I used the word Palisade, just as it is without the word wall at the end could make sence otherwise.
Spoiler:
I just like the word Palisade (wall) beter than fence, but it's really the same thing.. So.. ;D

do you want to introduce the ability to ride a horse? Ardougne 54687

Last edited by Zectiox on Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Zectiox
Zectiox
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:50 am

I know what it means now, I googled it lol. I mean like, as some friendly advice from an English speaker to someone learning English, that's not a word you should really get into the habit of using. Wink
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zectiox Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:54 am

yeah, thank you for the advise my friend, I will now on use the word "fence" instaed of "palisade wall"
Zectiox
Zectiox
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:00 am

Barricade might work... considering a palisade is suppose to be a defensive wall. You realize you've infected my vocabulary... I'm going to be saying palisade now. Tongue

You know what, just keep saying it. People will learn. Wink
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zectiox Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:03 am

>_<

well "palisade wall" is much more... "cooler" than "wooden fence".. And Im all infected by Age of Empires so Palisade wall just came to mind when I wanted a wooden wall = palisade, around a litte tiny village outside the city wall, but still defensive..

but just some houses outside the city wall, and a woodcutters hut with a "sawmill" Grin.. and I would have to say a stable instead of a donkey farm.. if I wanted to have horses instead of donkeys... still, the ability to ride a horse, or donkey, wouldn't destroy the game, it could be expensive like.. 10k for a "fast horse" and 5k for a "not so fast horse"... the thing that infects when you're trying to introduce mounting is teleporting. But the ability to mount could be introduced in pallis, if it isn't so "much" magical, but still magical..

but if you would introduce horse-riding into runescape the horses would first just walk a bit faster than you run, (ofc they will be tired and need to rest at a stable only Tongue)
Zectiox
Zectiox
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeeves Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:21 am

Palisade brings back good memories of Age of Empires. Pleased
Jeeves
Jeeves
Advocate

Number of posts : 606

Back to top Go down

Post by Zectiox Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:24 am

that is one thing that you wouldn't forget easy after playing it 12-13 years (since -99)... and Im still not even good at it damit -.-
Zectiox
Zectiox
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:50 am

my wittle baby ardougne suggestion all grown up and ready to fight for a new improved game

*sheds a tear*
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Number of posts : 3550
Location : Within the hallowed halls of the mighty, those known only as nobles.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down