The Suggestion Site
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

City of Werewolves or Lycanthropes?

4 posters

Go down

Lycans or Werewolves

City of Werewolves or Lycanthropes? I_vote_lcap67%City of Werewolves or Lycanthropes? I_vote_rcap 67% 
[ 2 ]
City of Werewolves or Lycanthropes? I_vote_lcap0%City of Werewolves or Lycanthropes? I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
City of Werewolves or Lycanthropes? I_vote_lcap33%City of Werewolves or Lycanthropes? I_vote_rcap 33% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 3

City of Werewolves or Lycanthropes? Empty City of Werewolves or Lycanthropes?

Post by MorbiusMonster Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:07 am

I have taken a good long look at Arzonus, so I can refine it for the recent changes that have occured within game. Amongst changing dialogue, a few plotlines and adding a little more compelling content, there is one key change I want to make;

Changing the Arzonus people from Werewolves to Lycanthropes.

As it currently stands, werewolves means man and wolf, giving the impression that they are predominantly human, much like those living in Canifis today. Lycanthrope means wolf and man, matching closer to the description of those living in Arzonus and the neighbouring towns, who are predominantly wolven.

In the grand scheme of things, it changes both a little and lot. Their ancestor kind would be the wolfkind, from which two species divided at the start of the God Wars; the Zamorakians breeding werewolves, creatures designed to be bloodthirsty monsters, but also have an element of disguise about them & the Zarosians becoming the lycanthropes, a perfect merger of man and monster to create something greater than the sum of its parts. This just makes it easier to distinguish between the two species.

Now then, the professional opinion is required. I'll hold a poll to confirm whether or not the Arzonus residents should be renamed lycanthropes or lycans to distinguish them from the werewolves of Canifis.

Last edited by MorbiusMonster on Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Number of posts : 2641

Back to top Go down

City of Werewolves or Lycanthropes? Empty Re: City of Werewolves or Lycanthropes?

Post by The Empty Lord Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:55 am

I'm fairly certain that the order of the words is just a language thing...

Red Ball -> Werewolf (germanic-based)
Ball of Red -> Lycanthrope (latin-based)

They mean exactly the same thing, it's just two different languages-roots. In all realism, lycanthrope is the scientific name... much like Dragon and Draconis Occidentalis (or what have you).

If you choose to give them separate means, that is your call. I personally see no difference. To be honest, when I hear people use lycanthrope as the common term it just sounds like they're ashamed/trying to hide the fact they are just werewolves.
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 7344

http://3mptylord.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

City of Werewolves or Lycanthropes? Empty Re: City of Werewolves or Lycanthropes?

Post by Slayer Noir Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:00 am

Last I checked, lycanthrope was just the "scientific" (as an aspiring scientist I feel the need for quotation marks there) term for a werewolf.

What you're doing would be like calling something "mitosis" instead of "cell division" and claiming it dramatically alters the way in which cells replicate...
Ultimately the two terms are interchangeable and what they're being used to describe is the same thing either way.
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Number of posts : 1248

Back to top Go down

Post by Handeath Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:22 pm

While they are right about the two terms being synonyms, I'm all for the name change for the difference in connotation as you said. The Arzonians are different from the werewolves of Canfis, so using a different term for their species does make sense...
...which leads to the question of why not making your own name? Why not lupinoids or something
Handeath
Handeath
Advocate

Number of posts : 955

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down