The Suggestion Site
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Graaft - Group Project

5 posters

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

The Graaft - Group Project Empty The Graaft - Group Project

Post by Slayer Noir Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:01 am

To do

To do:
Create a leader-type figure for the Mentir, to be a main villain - Handeath
Create a good Mentir to ally with the player
Create two minor characters: The Royal Leader and the Democratic Leader

Expand on how Graaft wage war: How much do they rely on their grafting ability for weaponry? Do they use other weapons too? Are there "standard issue" parts for soldiers? - Slayer Noir
Expand on succession for leaders: specifically, how would a leader get replaced? We know the democratic leader will have some sort of election, but what if someone wanted to replace Pharamedes or Kareeb? - Slayer Noir
Expand upon Amesgaizto and religious values - Duskcurse

The Graaft is a group project that me and Morbius have been working on. We're working towards creating a new race and a quest series featuring them. We've gotten to the point where we're happy with the bare bones, and now want your help fleshing it out.

The race is called the Graaft. This is what we know about them so far:

-The Graaft are a strange race that inhabit another plane. Once they reach maturity, they loose the ability to heal, and to compensate for this, they replace their own damaged body parts with others. These body parts can come from other races, and this gives the Graaft incredible diversity.
The Graaft have latent magical potential gifted to them by their God that can help them with their transplants. It allows them to use body parts of slightly less biological creatures. Things like demons, for example, which are magical rather than biological.

-Appearance:
Spoiler:

-History:
Spoiler:

-The Graaft's Enemies

The Mentir
Spoiler:

The Crul
Spoiler:

Strae
See "Lifemaker Strae" in the characters section

- Culture
Spoiler:

-The Graaft's Homeplane
Spoiler:

-Leadership
Spoiler:

-Graaft Warfare
Spoiler:

-Graaft Succession
Spoiler:

-Characters

Xana
Spoiler:

Aschkott
Spoiler:

Lifemaker Strae
Spoiler:

Kareeb The Priest
Spoiler:

Commander Pharamedes:
Spoiler:

-Muroidea
Spoiler:

-A "Good" Mentir
Spoiler:

-Deleriaus
Spoiler:

-Plotlines
Spoiler:

So yeah, that's the Graaft so far. Help us create something epic. Smile

Last edited by Slayer Noir on Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:20 am; edited 15 times in total
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Number of posts : 1248

Back to top Go down

The Graaft - Group Project Empty Re: The Graaft - Group Project

Post by MorbiusMonster Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:48 am

I'd like to do a hybrid of the two ideas. They use portals, but they
have an outpost in RuneScape to supply, just sitting on the outskirts of
the plane. In order to reach the plane, you have to use Fairy Rings,
much like how you have to reach Yu'biusk.

The species are known
as Graaft (a slight pun on graft, because they have grafted organs onto
themselves) where and non-gender specific is a Graafter. The males of
the species are mutts and the females are stitches. In the rare case of
Aschkott (which does happen), he is a mutted hybrodor (seeing as the
original specimen was a mutt; if Aschkott was female, it would be a
stitched hybrodor).

Now, in terms of appearance. Graaft have
brown skin and hair, with lengthy ears like a bat, where the nose
partially resembles that of a goat. Mutts naturally grow facial hair and
horns. Their hands feature dextrous plating that reinforces the back of
the hand that scales up the forearm to the elbow; with digitigrade feet
also bearing scales across their claw-like feet and shins. Both genders
have a slight plumage at the rear, stitches have a longer one than
mutts.
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Number of posts : 2641

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:51 am

Cheers for that. I'll copy/paste the description of their appearance.

I still don't like the names Mutts and Stitches for males and females though. They still remind me of dogs and laughing respectively
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:40 pm

Graaft architecture.

The way I see it, Graaft biology should be reflected in their architecture. That is, their buildings are made up of different bits and pieces they've acquired from other planes. These "bits" vary in size greatly, sometimes they're just a few bricks needed to fill a hole in the wall, and sometimes, entire towers have been taken and placed on top of buildings.
The recent Crul threat has lead to the hasty erection of a wall around the city. It too, is made up of various walls taken from various other civilisations. As such, it has strong points and weak points which, thankfully, the Crul cannot distinguish between. Yet...
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by MorbiusMonster Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:20 am

One of the resident prey of the Graaft is a dull species called Bobua. It's a shapeless blob, but it tends to be fairly tasty because it can, like the Graaft, take characteristics of other creatures, albeit naturally. This means hand reared bobua are usually introduced to tastier species in order to acquire the flavour.
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:39 am

-Turning Graaft Culture to Rewards

So, this has been bugging me ever since the basic concept of the Graaft was decided. I want some unique quest rewards that reflect Graaft culture but are still useful in RuneScape.

So I've been thinking, what in RuneScape could be improved by taking bits of it and bits of something else and adding them together?

Keris, Darklight and Balmung. Each has a special metal that's properties can't be replicated, but sadly it's been fashioned into less useful weapons.
The Graaft, however, can teach good smiths how to take pieces of these and join them to other weapons, giving a more powerful item that still has the effects of the original.
Seriously though. Who still uses Darklight against demons? It needs stat improvements...

The Bobua mentioned above... Skilled farmers and herblorists could rear them next to their favourite potions, creating a meat that heals and gives the effect of a potion at the same time?

Thoughts? Additional ideas? I need them...
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by MorbiusMonster Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:29 am

An idea I was meaning to press through was the active use of constitution as a support skill. At the moment, it is effectively the most important, but the least useful skill at the same time; everything game based relies on it, but there isn't a great deal to work with.

However, the Graaft are possibly the finest and most imaginative surgeons you can come across. Their understanding of the anatomy of their "donors" is usually unmatched. In time, as you find yourself more able to work with them, they'll teach you some of the tricks of the trade.

The Graaft can teach the player how to actively heal their allies in combat, using their own health and vitality as a template. This means players will be able to heal other players, without the use of magic or food. The higher your constitution level, the more you can heal.

For instance, a player with 33 Constitution will be able to heal up to 110 Life Points of a player needing assistance. This does take longer than just eating food or casting a spell, but ultimately the effects can be seen easily. The maximum a player can heal another by is 330 lifepoints at 99 Constitution. No health boosts can be offered in this way.

The balancing mechanism of this strategy is that Constitution is a skill that is slow to advance, so extensive healing will take much longer to acquire. Further on, players can combine Constitution with other skills, such as Herblore, Firemaking or Magic, to curb infection, burns and stat loss. These will require quests to complete and will be slower than just using a potion or spell.
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:14 am

While I like the idea of improving constitutions uses, I'm unsure that this is the best way. My two main problems are that it's not that useful when you consider the availability of food, and that it would also make the lunar healing spells redundant.

Are there ways we can change this so it doesn't have these problems? Perhaps we can find more unique support options, other than just healing another player?
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by MorbiusMonster Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:35 am

The use of Constitution as a Support Skill is ideal for a situation where supplies need be convserved and at a point in time at rest, rather than in combat.

This would be ideal for areas, such as Dungeoneering, where supplies can be short in more testing situations and you wish to reserve food for emergency situations in combat and when spells such as Heal Other or Heal Group may be too consuming of a player's health to make it a desirable substitute for food at rest. Heal Other and Heal Group would still have their uses when in combat and support is needed instantly, whilst performing healing from Constitution knowledge is interrupted by combat.

In situations where the death of player doesn't affect a group, such as in a safe team minigame, the spell is used as a quick means of dying to reset stats or eliminate poison as well as healing. The spell, Heal Other, has a potential cap of up to 750 life points in one cast (based on the caster having a full health bar of 990 life points and casting on a player with a near empty health bar exceeding 760 lifepoints). This means that Heal Other is not only capable of healing more than twice what Constitution could mend in a 1 on 1 interaction, but relative to what Constitution can heal, Heal Other puts out more.

One cast at 66 Constitution can heal 495 in one cast, taking only 3 seconds.
A one on one session at 66 Constitution can heal only 220, within 12 seconds outside combat.

As you can see, it is more time consuming for the latter.

However, if the Lunar Spells still seem redundant, Heal Other could function as Energy Restore, Stat Restore, Life Point Restore and Poison Cure all in one, when you can only deal with one problem at a time with Constitution.
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:39 am

So you propose to create a niche by making it slower, but with more lifepoints available overall compared to heal spells? That could work. I'd have to have a think about to what extend the speed and lifepoint yield would need exaggerating...

Hopefully, I'll add some of the stuff we've come up with into the OP later. I'm a bit worried nobody else has joined in yet though, this is steadily getting bigger and thus harder to get into (hint, hint guys, I know you're reading this).
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:36 pm

You think it's time to start making a storyline?
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon78114 Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:39 am

If you want to!
Dragon78114
Dragon78114
Partisan
Partisan

Number of posts : 1668

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon78114 Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:47 am

Wait, before you post, I have a question (sorry I sound mean but this struck me): if the Graft can't heal themselves then how could you stitch another's body part to them...don't transfusions and limb replacements take time to get inside the rhythm of the body..in essence, healing?
Dragon78114
Dragon78114
Partisan
Partisan

Number of posts : 1668

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:49 pm

The Graaft have latent magical potential gifted to them by their God that can help them with their transplants.

Yeah... if in doubt, use magic. That'll smooth over the scientific flaws in Graaft biology Tongue
In fact, it's rather important. It allows them to use body parts of (how to put this?) slightly less biological creatures. Things like demons, for example, which are magical rather than biological.

I did mean to put that in to their creation story, because you're quite right, it wouldn't otherwise work. I'll add that in now.

A question: What kind of leadership structure do you think the Graaft will have? Royalty? Diplomacy? Run by the military (given they're at war)? Leaderless? Religious (unlikely, considering their God abandoned them, but worth mentioning)?
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by MorbiusMonster Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:11 am

The Graaft would have to function on a very difficult principle of leadership. It can't be of pure blood because most grafting procedures are done through necessity, not choice; basing leadership on strength or ability is also slightly obsolete for the same reason. It could be a case similar to the TzHaar where there is no leader necessary, because everyone else can co-ordinate their own efforts, just doctrine as to restrict what can and can't be done.
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:47 am

So you're saying, biologically, a leader couldn't be chosen by blood or strength. I see your point, but I don't think it rules out the possibility.

Biologically, the Graaft still have families and could therefore have royalty.

And a leader based on strength would be possible too, their rule would just be fairly short lived. I actually quite like this, I think it could give us some interesting plotlines and characters, but then again, the Graaft's society is based on healing rather than fighting.

I really don't like the idea of no leader though. The Tzhaar have several differences to the Graaft that mean they don't need a leader. Their caste system, their lack of natural enemies, the way they don't rely on other races and the way nothing really changes in their society allows them to just go about their own lives with no need for coordination.
The Graaft couldn't do this, especially considering they're at war currently. So even if their leadership system has been put in place purely to defeat the Crul, they need something.
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duskcurse Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:24 am

hmmmmm me ntrested, would you mean it if I sneaked in your project?
Duskcurse
Duskcurse
Partisan
Partisan

Number of posts : 1367

Back to top Go down

Post by MorbiusMonster Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:43 am

Not at all, we could do with the additional help.

All reds together.
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:01 am

Please do join in, Dusk. Me and Morb are keen for other people to take part and I really look forward to your input.

Any more opinions on leadership structure, by the way?
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duskcurse Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:05 am

I got an idea, well since the graft take parts, why not a part of the mind of the original user, this could make it so that the graft have a mix of a democratic religious monarchy
Duskcurse
Duskcurse
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:15 am

You know I never considered that. If everything else in Graaft society is a mix-and-match of various pieces, why should their leadership structure be any different?

The leadership could be a council, with one member from each different type of leadership - an elected leader, a religious figure, the head of the military, a king/queen, and any other faction you can think of.

I can imagine such a council really struggling to get anything done, creating an inability for the Graaft to deal with their own problems and therefore a need for the player's involvement.

So, if everyone agrees with that, then we have some fun stuff on our hands...
4 leaders means 4 characters to design. What each represents can be reflected in the body parts they have. For example, I imagine the military leader to be completely weaponised - maybe a blade instead of a hand, armour build into his chest and shoulders etc.
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duskcurse Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:18 am

uhhh, can I make one of hte leader *thinks of a Graaf part Scarabite part stalker*
Duskcurse
Duskcurse
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duskcurse Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:28 am

Also, I was thinking that the Graaft could tkae traits from the creatures they have sitched to them, for example, if a Graaft has a goblin arm, he'd be more war-like than the other Graaft, and possibly more stupid, if the had a Scabarite arm, they'd be more reclusive, and so on
Duskcurse
Duskcurse
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:47 am

Hmm. I dunno...

Me and Morb agreed that all Graaft had to have one irreplaceable body part and we opted for brains. I thought that Graaft personality didn't change with their parts, but I don't know. Both biologically and magically, it's possible.

I would suggest a compromise. Most body parts have no effect on the Graaft. However, some parts are powerful enough to exert an influence on their owner. The arm of a particularly malicious demon, for example, might make a Graaft slightly more malicious himself, but a simple goblin arm lacks the intensity of emotion to give any real effect.
Perhaps then the enemies of the Graaft could disrupt and infiltrate their society by slipping them items with such influences.

And as for designing a leader, please do. I would, however, question which of the 4 leader characteristics is best represented by half a stalker and half a scarabite. And I'd also like to point out that you're not limited to existing creatures and can create any body part you want.
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duskcurse Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:55 am

Well, it depends on the being, if it was the arm of one of the Bandos Priests?

And well the scarabite and stalker could be more like a religious leader, since I see both of those races as being higly connected to the god aspects of life, specially scarabite,so my Graa can have a scabarite head with the lone stalker eye?
Duskcurse
Duskcurse
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next