The Suggestion Site
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Tribute to Heroes

3 posters

Go down

A Tribute to Heroes Empty A Tribute to Heroes

Post by MorbiusMonster Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:08 am

This thread is dedicated to fiction heroes, whether they are bearers of great powers and ability or simply people who make our world brilliant with the smallest of ideas.

Share your thoughts.

Last edited by MorbiusMonster on Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Number of posts : 2641

Back to top Go down

A Tribute to Heroes Empty Re: A Tribute to Heroes

Post by The Empty Lord Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:12 am

I'm not sure it's tasteful to pay tribute to both fictional and real heroes in the same context as if they are alike. An exception being if a fictional hero has had a real-world influence.

Since we're all friends here (I say hopefully), I would like to share an unpopular opinion that I hold. I dislike how in the UK, the word 'soldier' is synonymous with 'hero'. They aren't heroes by default. They are no more heroes just for going to war than a scientist is just for doing science; or a teacher is for teaching. I'm not questioning the important of a strong defence, or the risk they are putting themselves in. They are heroes if they die saving a school of children, or to save their squad, or for rescuing someone... not just for signing up. Angry

The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 7344

http://3mptylord.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:10 am

I don't actually know if I could name my favourite hero. In context of the game rather than the hero itself, Kratos and Ratchet rank quite high on my list of favourites... Smile
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:55 pm

3mptylord wrote:I'm not sure it's tasteful to pay tribute to both fictional and real heroes in the same context as if they are alike. An exception being if a fictional hero has had a real-world influence.

Since we're all friends here (I say hopefully), I would like to share an unpopular opinion that I hold. I dislike how in the UK, the word 'soldier' is synonymous with 'hero'. They aren't heroes by default. They are no more heroes just for going to war than a scientist is just for doing science; or a teacher is for teaching. I'm not questioning the important of a strong defence, or the risk they are putting themselves in. They are heroes if they die saving a school of children, or to save their squad, or for rescuing someone... not just for signing up. Angry

A hero does not need to be someone who does something visibly incredible. Any man who signs up, knowing that he could be deployed into the horrors of war, losing possibly life, possibly limb, and even more possibly sanity, for the sake of defending everything he loves, is to me a hero. Just because a man has not jumped on a grenade to save his squad, or saved a classroom full of schoolchildren at the cost of heavy casualties, doesn't mean he is not a hero.
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Number of posts : 3550
Location : Within the hallowed halls of the mighty, those known only as nobles.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:18 am

It's possible it was just my cousin that soured my opinion of it purely because he thinks he's better than everyone else just for being in the army (and he's not the only one)... thus I actually dislike the arrogance rather than the title.

I don't know. I really don't. *sigh*

Teachers give us education (at risk of mental stress); Construction workers build us homes (at risk of injury)... there are other professions that the focus is to do things for other people. I think police are equally heroic to soldiers... yet they aren't treated with the same respect (over here at any rate, watching American TV your police don't appear have such negative stereotypes/connotations). They are regarded as never being there when they're needed, always there to give out parking tickets, always ruining the fun, etc. I mean, I'm sure people who have been helped by the police regard them higher... but they don't get the same respect by default.
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:35 am

I"m sorry, but I can't compare the sacrifices of construction workers and teachers to those of the army and police (on that I do agree). Mental stress is not the same as PTSD, not at all. Injuries on a construction site rarely approach the severity and ubiquity of those in more violent dangerous professions, nor are they the result of malicious intent which shall try again when it fails.

We have the same stereotypes. The cop shows are still popular, and often glamorize the very things that most will happily decry. I'd like to see a comparison of the ratings of TV shows with the number of hands down illegal things cops do.

Also, I shouldn't say that all soldiers and police are heroes. Many people who want power over others find those lines of work attractive, same can hold for violent people. But I still think one doesn't need to visibly have done something amazing to be a hero, and even those power hungry violent types should be accorded respect (not status) for serving.
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Number of posts : 3550
Location : Within the hallowed halls of the mighty, those known only as nobles.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:45 am

No, I agree it doesn't have to be visible.

Also, I wasn't being entirely serious with teachers and such. Tongue
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down