The Suggestion Site
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mythics: Stagnant Discussion

+8
Dragon78114
Sir Kandarin
TATORZ
Jeeves
Dark Avorian
Ruy112
trixtor
The Empty Lord
12 posters

Page 8 of 19 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13 ... 19  Next

Go down

Mythics: Stagnant Discussion - Page 8 Empty Mythics: Stagnant Discussion

Post by The Empty Lord Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:06 am

First topic message reminder :

I've changed the title of the thread because the apostrophe wouldn't behave. Mythics: Stagnant Discussion - Page 8 612280

The twelve labours, inspired by both mythology and our unofficial mascot Dark Sylvania;

Nemean lionNemyonGuantletsWritten by Jeeves.
Lernaean hydraLernosDiademWritten by Jeeves.
Cerinean hindCerinaHelm
Erymanthian boarErymontAxe-hammerWritten by Jeeves.
Augean stablesAugoHelmWritten by Trixtor.
Stymphalian birdsStympho
Creten bullCretosMace
Mares of DiomedesTrace
Shield of HippolytaHippolytaRising Sun
Cattle of GeryonGeryon
Apples of the HesperidesLadonGolden Apple
CerberusCerberusStaff/Whip

Mythics: Stagnant Discussion - Page 8 Flames_of_Lloigh-enn

Timeline of the Mythics' Quest;
• Grandeur, the gateway to the Mythics' Guild, must be appeased. The requirements for this section are merely the skill requirements for the quest, having completed the Legends' Quest and having a certain number of quest points. The plinth that Grandeur stands on has three icons connected by rivulets. You need them all to light up.
• Through the gateway you can see the image above, basically. Only, the warrior is also a statue and facing the other way. These thirteen statues are, in effect, Hercules and the twelve labours. Accompanying them is a fourth character, imposing as a thirteenth labour - Durial, our antagonist.
• "Herclues" will introduce the labours, and what they are for. It should be noted that the labours themselves, and Herclues, are irrelevant to the quest at the moment. Players can complete them now or later. It should also be noted that Hercules does not mention Durial, our 13th Labour. Trying to make him stick out.
• Each labour would be based on the labours from Greek Mythology. This is the guild of Mythics after all, and Greek wouldn't be the only source when we finally have access to the guild. "Completing a labour" involves retrieving a lost relic that has been hidden in your time. These tasks take place in both RuneScape, and bespoke instances.
• Durial requires three items; the Blades of Eleyon, the Cloak of Shadows and the Potion of Vulnerability. Each item will require utmost knowledge of RuneScape, as no requirements are officially given. This quest may seem long - but the labours aren't required at this point.
• After obtaining all three items for Durial he will exit the guild - returning to his own time. In the same cinematic, future-you will arrive; panting hysterically and cursing that he took too long (mentioning something about other future-yous and how he failed to improve... which you will also say).
• Future-you, though you don't know it yet, will tell you what you need to do next; which of the three labours you should complete. You require the Rising Sun, the Hydra's Diadem, and something defensive to counter the Blades of Eleyon. Future-you will also tell you what Durial's true intentions are.
• After having obtained these, your next mission is to activate the Chronarch's Throne, an altar capable of reversing the flow of time within the guild. *insert more on this segment*.
• Successfully rewinding time, you most exit the guild into the past and locate Durial. The fight will be epic... think Nomad, just harder (or perhaps not, Dark's still killing himself trying to kill Nomad). During this fight Durial will accuse you of being Guthix, among other interesting foods-of-thought.
• Return to the guild and fast-forward to the present. On your way to Grandeur, to speak with your future-self, you will notice two omens - Durial and yourself. Panicking, you run forward to try and stop yourself handing Durial the items. You will, of course, fail... and, well, you can probably see where I'm going.
• This segment is surprisingly easy, merely tell your past-you what to do.

The quest needs to end somewhere. Possibly when you exit the Guild and Grandeur's gargoyles will laugh at you, seemingly aware of you you'd just done. Or... the moment you return to the present it's quest-over, with aiding past-you merely being a required postal-script. I suppose that's the only issue with having a quest with no true questmaster. Mythics: Stagnant Discussion - Page 8 49087

February 14th, 2010;
Spoiler:
February 13th, 2010;
Spoiler:
October 1st, 2009;
Spoiler:

Last edited by 3mptylord on Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:28 am; edited 25 times in total
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 7344

http://3mptylord.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Mythics: Stagnant Discussion - Page 8 Empty Re: Mythics: Stagnant Discussion

Post by Jeeves Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:26 am

Mythics: Stagnant Discussion - Page 8 612280 3mpty, if I try my hand at Erymont, it'll probably end up being completely rewritten.

Jeeves
Advocate

Number of posts : 606

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:28 am

That's fine - I only ever had a basic idea and tried to make it sound well written. Tongue

Erymount Waraxe/Battlehammer's special attack only works when entering combat, or attacking from a distance. The player runs at their target with extreme force, and right before collision they bring the weapon around. Grin
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeeves Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:40 am

I'll take a look at it later today and see if I can do anything with it, I guess.
Jeeves
Jeeves
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruy112 Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:01 am

Ruy112
Ruy112
Partisan
Partisan

Number of posts : 1623

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:02 am

Our labours! To be honest, he RuneScape'd them pretty efficiently for just a synopsis. The Hind of Saradomin, for example. Tongue
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:41 am

Waht I've got now ( know it overlaps)

Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Number of posts : 3550
Location : Within the hallowed halls of the mighty, those known only as nobles.

Back to top Go down

Post by trixtor Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:44 pm

That was pretty well written, although, no offense intended dark, I like Jeeves' writing better.
trixtor
trixtor
Advocate

Number of posts : 538

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeeves Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:57 am

I've got a snow day today, so I think I'll try my hand at Erymont. Mythics: Stagnant Discussion - Page 8 Icon_biggrin
Jeeves
Jeeves
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeeves Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:46 am

-------------------
The Fourth Labor
-------------------

Having conquered the first three of the labors, our hero went immediately to the fourth (being the brave, steadfast hero he was, he felt no fatigue from any of this). This plinth contained a statue of a boar, tusks dulled with age but nevertheless deadly-looking. As with the rest, an inscription was carved into the base:

There once was a mountain of snow
Where travelers dared not to go
But three hardy fools
Took their maps and their tools
And set out away from the low.

Low being an area that's not a mountain, of course.

You: Wow....when the poet needs to clarify his poem, you know he's not that good.

Having read the "poem", our hero thought for a moment about all the snowy mountains he knew. Since the poem didn't help to clarify one the others, he set out to each one in turn, looking for something that would be out of the ordinary. White Wolf Mountain held no surprises...Ice Mountain contained nothing but the usual dwarf-infested mines. Only once he turned his tracks up north did he see any signs of something that might deal with the Mythics' Guild.

The nearer he got to the mountains of the trolls, the more he could see evidence of campsites. Here was a smoldering fire, there was a shoddily-constructed lean-to. Clearly some sort of party had come this way and was heading north into the mountains. Knowing by now the pattern of the Guild, it was nigh impossible that this group he was tracking was not the group he needed to find if he were to...do something that involved a boar.

Finally, just east of the entrance to Keldagrim, our hero came across three people, shivering with the cold and nursing some gruesome wounds.

You: What seems to be the trouble, my friends?

Pholus (shivering): W-w-we tried....

You: Come again?

Pholus: We tried to make it!

You: I don't understand.

Chiron (out of breath): We...were trying to climb to the summit of the mountain...no man had achieved it before.

Pholus (terrified): But the boar!!

You: A boar? What about a boar?

Pholus: It came out of nowhere! W-w-we were climbing up one of the ridges when this great, armored boar fell down in front of us....We...we....

Chiron: We had to...retreat down the mountain. But even then, it kept coming back. Every so often, the beast attacks us in our camp here. Another attack and I suspect none of us shall survive. In fact...I think Necris is already dead.

The man named Chiron stood up and went over to the man who had said nothing the entire time our hero was there. He nudged him with his foot, but there was no response. The cold and the wounds had taken their effect on Necris.

You: I'm sorry. Is there anything I can do?

Pholus: You should leave before -

Pholus was cut off before he could finish his sentence. A great roar had come from further up the path.

Chiron (horrified): The boar.....

Before our hero could do more than look, terrified, into the middle distance, a giant beast leaped down from somewhere above and landed with a crunch in the middle of the group. It was not a boar in the normal sense of the word, but our hero had not suspected it would be. It was...some sort of creature, but it's armor was shaped like a boar. It gleamed red all around except for the pointed white tusks. Its weapon (for indeed, it bore a weapon) was half-warhammer, half-battleaxe. In a stunningly delightful turn of events, the weapon was shaped just like a little boar.

Pholus: Adventurer, kill it or we're all doomed!

Our hero dashed at the beast with all his strength but succeeded only in rebounding off the armor.

Erymont: Hurr hurr hurr...Not quite cold enough to kill me, adventurer. You want something? Come get it...

The boar turned his attention away from our hero and focused instead on Chiron. With a mighty roar, he rushed forward and impaled the poor man on one of his sharp tusks. Then, tossing aside the body, the boar dashed up the path and disappeared into the snow.

Pholus: Chiron!! No...

You: What was that?

Pholus (angrily): The boar, the boar! That was the boar that killed Necris and now Chiron! Finish it, adventurer. Finish it or else we shall both be dead by tomorrow.

Left with no real choice, our adventurer started up the mountain trail, braving the bitter cold. As he got higher, the cold became more bitter and it seemed as though his very strength was being drained from him. At one point, he attempted to make a fire to try and warm himself, but found that he lacked the skill to do so. The cold not only drained his strength, but his abilities as well!

Erymont (his voice, anyway): Cold, adventurer?

The voice seemed to come from everywhere and nowhere. Our hero stood up, weapon shaking in his frozen hands. No gleam of red nor any part of the boar could be seen. Surely it was just a trick of the wind...Our hero gave up on the fire and continued towards the peak of the mountain, sure that the peak would bring with it the boar.

At last, the peak revealed itself to our adventurer. The blizzard raged fiercest up here and nothing could be seen that was more than a few feet away. But through the snow, our hero could see a streak of red standing before him.

Erymont: We are the dead, adventurer. The cold up here will not let either of us survive. Whoever is not killed by the hand of the other will succumb to the cold.

You: I'll survive.

Erymont: Hurr...we shall see.

With that, the boar drew his hammer-axe. Our hero, too, drew his weapon and the two prepared to do battle. The cold had sapped our hero's strength far beyond what he imagined possible, and it seemed that his attacks did almost nothing to the boar. But the same seemed to be true of the boar as well. He was so drained that his fearsome axe, which probably could have split our hero in half at one time, did almost nothing.

The battle wore on, neither of the two doing much damage and losing strength all the while. At last, the boar threw his axe into the snow.

Erymont: We shall not decide anything through weapons. This mountain shall decide it for us. Come, let us see who shall to their death.

What the boar wanted was a fight to the death. Whoever was tossed over the mountainside was the loser. There was no coming back from a fall of that height.

You: Very well.

Our hero threw down his own weapon and stood across from the boar. Twenty feet were all that separated our hero from the deadly drop. But the same was true of the boar. Whoever was quickest on their feet and strongest in their arms (and perhaps, cleverest in the brain) would win the day.

Without warning, Erymont rushed at our hero, sending him sprawling backwards. He quickly recovered and circled around the boar, trying to send him flying over the drop. Unfortunately, the boar was clever enough to move out of the way, and our hero's plot was foiled. The same thing happened again and again, the two moving around in a convoluted dance. Diving, tackling, jumping out of the way. Before long, the two were naught but frozen statues, trying feebly to stalk towards the other one.

Erymont: Let us rest, adventurer. Neither of us can win in this condition.

The boar sat himself down by the edge of the cliff and started to warm his hands. Our hero, cold though he was, saw his opportunity and seized it. With a violent effort, he sprinted across the peak of the mountain and flung himself at the boar! With a cry of surprise, the boar tried to claw himself back up, but succeeded only in ripping off our hero's armor. Howling with misery, the beast fell down the mountain...before long, his howling was lost to the howl of the wind itself.

As he made his way down the mountain, our hero noticed something red sticking out of a snowdrift. Brushing the snow away revealed the body of the boar, still clutching the armor.

You: I'll take that, thank you very much.

Hoping that for once, the required item would be the weapon, our hero tried to lift the giant axe out of the boar's hands. To his delight, the heavy weapon could be shifted slightly out of its grasp. After much wiggling, the axe was removed, and our hero held it aloft victoriously. The body of the boar slowly turned to slush, blending with the snow that had become its tomb.

At the base of the mountain, no traces remained of Chiron, Pholus, or Necris. The campsite had vanished as had the other sites he passed on the way there. Upon returning to the Guild, our hero placed the handle of the axe in the jaws of the boar and hoped that one day he might be able to wield such a great weapon...or hold it...or look at it fondly for a bit.
Jeeves
Jeeves
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeeves Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:48 am

Just a note: the "wrestling" match with Erymont is a minigame-type thing and I have no clue how it would work.
Jeeves
Jeeves
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:06 am

No offense taken. I have to do some slight revision to properly align the numbering of the beasts...and then I'll revise the whole piece for clarity, content and ambience
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by trixtor Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:14 am

I'll update my list to say that Jeeves wrote the boar.
trixtor
trixtor
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:15 am

Very nice Jeeves. Smile

Dark, when you're happy it's finished I'll update my chart on page one. Smile
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by trixtor Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:57 pm

3mpty, I used the helmet of augo, not the spade. Oh yes, and I finished my revision.
trixtor
trixtor
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:20 pm

I merely suggested the spade because it posed the opertunity for a farming reward. Tongue

This statue looks like Dark silvania's monster, but it will be gray, have no headgear, and will have more of a lumpy body.
The statues are of the labour, not the boss. If that makes sense. Thus far we have a lion, a hydra, a hind and a boar - the actual animal, not the anthropod version.

"Under the burning sun lies much fiery waste, it is ever-increasing, so you must make haste. Adornment from a Mahjarrat's mourning is needed for this task, but the ships of the desert are prideful, so you may not merely ask."

The task: Speak to any camel, they will ask you to gather 50 bottles of that hot sauce thing you use to make them... you know.
This doesn't really match our Jeeves' clues - also, I still don't get WHY we talk to a camel. We're told we need a camulet, sort of, although I dislike that the incription tells us.

The river ends up waking the monster under the excrement, and you will have to hold it off until the last of the excrement is "flushed away" (what a pun). Of course, your character will say random toilet/bathroom puns during the fight.
I didn't really get the pun - it doesn't seem like a play on words. Toilet humour isn't the same as toilet puns. Tongue

" mabye Hercules isn't the only one who'll fall for this")
Heracles - spelling correction. Tongue
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:18 pm

Jeeves, the fact that you're making every labour a human-like beast is kind of making everyone else's piece seem out of place...
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by trixtor Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:29 am

@3mpty: 1. The statue is what the boss looks like before it gets uncovered by the water. I'm just kind of lazy, would you rather I have a pile of dung as the statue?
2. Should I change it so that it tells us to look near the bandit camp? 3. I'll remove the toilet/bathroom pun sentence, it was just my feeble play on words Sad .
4. I know it's Heracles, I just messed up. I fixed it. And about the spade, I'll change the monster so that the weapon also works like a halberd (i.e. can hit you from 2 spaces away), and I'll also make the spade the item you take from the boss.
trixtor
trixtor
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeeves Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:22 am

Dark, just because not everyone's labor is written exactly the same as mine doesn't make them out of place. It makes the labors diverse! Mythics: Stagnant Discussion - Page 8 Icon_biggrin
Jeeves
Jeeves
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:30 am

trixtor wrote:@3mpty: 1. The statue is what the boss looks like before it gets uncovered by the water. I'm just kind of lazy, would you rather I have a pile of dung as the statue?
2. Should I change it so that it tells us to look near the bandit camp? 3. I'll remove the toilet/bathroom pun sentence, it was just my feeble play on words Sad .
4. I know it's Heracles, I just messed up. I fixed it. And about the spade, I'll change the monster so that the weapon also works like a halberd (i.e. can hit you from 2 spaces away), and I'll also make the spade the item you take from the boss.

1) Perhaps a camel taking a dump? I'm not sure what the age-rating is for crapping. Wink
2) I don't mind.
3) Toilet humour is fine, but "flushed away" really wasn't a play on words... it IS what is going on. Tongue
4) I didn't mean you had to change it lol - just when I made the table it was what I was thinking. You can keep the helm if you want. Grin
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:36 am

Dark Avorian wrote:Jeeves, the fact that you're making every labour a human-like beast is kind of making everyone else's piece seem out of place...

It's not Jeeves doing it; I think me, Jeeves, Ruy and couple others (maybe Trixtor?) agreed on doing that in a chatbox discussion (and I think I put it in post one). He hasn't just decided something and by omission impose it on everyone - he's following a crude-template that a few of us agreed on to begin with. The statues are accurate to the labour, whilst the "boss" is an anthropoid. Tongue

I've always wanted a thread with loads of diverse writing styles that you can tell is written by more than one person - but when it comes down to it one or two styles is always better and either the others look bad in comparison, or they appear to be trying to imitate.

Edit: Wait, that last bit had nothing to do with your post. I read Jeeves' reply before turning back an reading yours, and Jeeves' implied something about writing style.
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by trixtor Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:39 am

I re-re-refixed the labour. And I decided to use the spade, delete the toilet humor thing, change the statue and make the riddle tell us about the Bandit camp.
trixtor
trixtor
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:45 am

Fine, **** it...I won't be helping with this...if anyone want's my notes on how I was planning to continue just ask and I'll post them on this thread...
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:46 am

Huh? Where did that come from? Confuse
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:51 am

trixtor wrote:That was pretty well written, although, no offense intended dark, I like Jeeves' writing better.

3mptylord wrote:It's not Jeeves doing it; I think me, Jeeves, Ruy and couple others (maybe Trixtor?) agreed on doing that in a chatbox discussion (and I think I put it in post one). He hasn't just decided something and by omission impose it on everyone - he's following a crude-template that a few of us agreed on to begin with.

Edits don't show as recent activity on the thread

but when it comes down to it one or two styles is always better and either the others look bad in comparison, or they appear to be trying to imitate.
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:48 am

Post one was as it is since Nemyon, and it was after that ideas were posted. I think I said once or twice that I've updated post one - I'm aware there is no formal announcement.

As for "a few of us" - considering how many people are writing, "a few" is most. Also - I haven't actually commented negatively towards the mares in your quest actually being mares, it's not a concrete template. You're the one whose identified it as inconsistent. I assumed you'd read and deciding not to follow the anthropoid - which I haven't actually objected to.

I never said yours was a bad style. I was actually commenting on something Ruy said - he identified the reason why he was struggling it was because he can't write in Jeeves' style (and he was trying to). Trix was complying to the point I made about "others look bad in comparison" - they AREN'T bad, though. It's a preference. If there is enough variety, it's a less obvious contrast. (although me asking Jeeves' to write mine doesn't help Tongue)
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by trixtor Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:57 pm

I agree. It's probably best to have some variety, because we all have ideas and this is a forum-wide (kind of...) project, not a Jeeves project. Dark, I think that you should finish your labour at least, because I like your idea for it. By the way, when will this discussion pick up again?
trixtor
trixtor
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 19 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13 ... 19  Next