The Suggestion Site
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RuneScape Gets Massive (continued)

+8
trixtor
Ruy112
Jeeves
Sir Kandarin
Dark Avorian
MorbiusMonster
Dragon78114
The Empty Lord
12 posters

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

RuneScape Gets Massive (continued) - Page 2 Empty RuneScape Gets Massive (continued)

Post by The Empty Lord Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:26 am

First topic message reminder :

I thought I'd revive the expansion of RuneScape project.

<~>

Alternate World Map;
Spoiler:
<~>

I'm going to use DeviantArt to submit the artwork. Mainly because it allows for a higher resolution, and secondly because it takes me less time to upload... on here I have to upload, then delete the old one (each requiring lots of clicks and checks). Tongue

For the current version (just uploaded); CLICK HERE!

<~>

There are currently two "finished" pieces of artwork;
Misthalin
World

There was some discussion on the old thread about the point of this, and there's a few new faces now, but this doesn't need a point. It can either be a suggestion, or just a fun little project we're doing to amuse ourselves. I have and can continue to send them into Jagex, should anyone think we've made sufficient progress to warrant it.

I'm currently drawing Asgarnia... or, at the moment I'm just leading Misthalin into Asgarnia. There are three routes - through Dredmaw and into the Farradorn Woods, through the grounds at Draynor Manor and into Farradorn Woods, or along along a little trail in the the cliff face from Draynor into a yet undecided location - possibly the end of Farradorn Woods, of they could have already ended. I'll upload a snippet in a bit. Smile

Please note that I've remove the building-blobs on my current version... I have them saved on another and it's a simple copy-and-paste, but for the time being I don't want them. The locations are still labelled. Whether the ground has varying colours will depend on whether I remember to unhide them or not... it may just be a solid-green. Wink

Last edited by 3mptylord on Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:05 am; edited 6 times in total
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 7344

http://3mptylord.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

RuneScape Gets Massive (continued) - Page 2 Empty Re: RuneScape Gets Massive (continued)

Post by The Empty Lord Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:57 am

Me likes. Smile

*pins Asokka to the map*

Morbius, come up with a name for an athro-wolf town/city. I'm trying to at least leave some echo of White Wolf Mountain... even if there's no "White". Although, are there any white-furred animals that make no sense given a less-than-white environment? Or maybe I could bring the Tawny Cliffs down to connect to the sea? I'll see what it looks like, but either way, I need a name. Smile

The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

RuneScape Gets Massive (continued) - Page 2 Empty Re: RuneScape Gets Massive (continued)

Post by MorbiusMonster Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:32 am

I thought of a good one, the Powder Snow Settlement.

The residents in question are white-furred anthros, the name in which would have a variety of links to the culture.

1. Powder snow is very delicate and light, hinting to where this small settlement lays. The snow on the mountains is very subtle and could easily be lost and at a high altitude.
2. Powder snow is weak and easily lost, much like the history of the anthros in a predominantly human realm.
3. A settlement would suggest that these anthros are nomadic, like all pack animals in cold territories, and rightly so when humans could be hunting them for a variety of causes.
4. A settlement is impermanent, also linking somewhat to the anthros instability of survival in human realms.

I just like the sound of it, but after thinking about it, it works on so many levels.
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Number of posts : 2641

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:40 am

I was thinking more a name that could work whether or not I decided on having snow there. Wink

It will be snowy. It's not a mountain, but there's snow on the ground. It's just dawned on me Trollheim is a snowy place, and thus having the snow cuddle the outskirts of Asgarnia isn't so bad. Smile

Powder Snow Settlement, I like the description and all that - but it's not so much a name as the human's description of it. What would it be called in Wolf? Tongue

I have updated the pic with the new zones if that helps. Smile
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:48 am

Wait...whoa!!! whaT!!!

You're cutting out white wolf!? the iconic barrier mountain? SHAME ON YOU!
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Number of posts : 3550
Location : Within the hallowed halls of the mighty, those known only as nobles.

Back to top Go down

Post by MorbiusMonster Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:50 pm

I've looked up some sub-species of wolf and I suggested Hudsonicus as the subspecies of wolf that lived there, so you could use that as their wolven name for the land or perhaps use the name of another subspecies that lives in Alaska; Tundrarum.

I still prefer Powder Snow Settlement.
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by MorbiusMonster Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:56 pm

You've forgotten the Warren of the Easter bunny.
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:44 pm

I haven't got everything on there yet, not least things that aren't even on the map. Wink

As for White Wolf, don't get hostile now. The fact Catherby and Taverley are now separated by an ocean should have made that clear when we were making da world map. No-one companied then! Tongue

I honestly didn't even think 'bout it at the time... But, since Feldhamarr is a dwarven province then the shortcut and 'White Wolf Mountain' can be there instead.

Ah well, I'll look into it when I get home.

Dragon, did I get Asokka in the right place?

I'll think about Powder Snow Settlement, but I still think that doesn't sound like a name. But when I try to come up with examples I like them... Maybe you've just found another peeve word of mine.
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MorbiusMonster Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:34 am

Awww...
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:41 am

How about a Cable Cart instead of an underground tunnel? Smile
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MorbiusMonster Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:48 am

What's wrong with the Powder Snow Settlement or Tundrarum? I couldn't think of anything better, 'cause it sounded just right.
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by MorbiusMonster Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:11 am

Important side note: If anyone in Gielinor approaches you, bearing a wand and wearing dark attire, pray that the last words you hear won't be;

"Peto Abyssus"
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:29 am

Updated the map. If anyone has any quirks or whatnot they want to add that could be source of speculation and such, go ahead. I added "Black Spot" Mound, a hill that no amount of spades and pickaxes could remove - even bricks wouldn't hold, so they built around it.

MorbiusMonster wrote:What's wrong with the Powder Snow Settlement or Tundrarum? I couldn't think of anything better, 'cause it sounded just right.

I never saw you suggest Tundrarum. Tongue

I don't know what's wrong with Powder Snow Settlement. First, I guess, it's too long... it's too many words. Second it doesn't really sound like a name... Strong Wind Town, Heavy Rain Village, etc. Thirdly, I asked you specifically 'cause I thought you had some awesome ritual you went about when creating wolf-related names... and it didn't really sound wolfy.

The first is a peeve, the second is feedback, third is wrongly places expectations. Wink

I don't disagree with any of the ideas that would make up the town, just the name given to it. Confuse
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MorbiusMonster Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:12 am

I've looked up some sub-species of wolf and I suggested Hudsonicus as the subspecies of wolf that lived there, so you could use that as their wolven name for the land or perhaps use the name of another subspecies that lives in Alaska; Tundrarum.

This is the proof.
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:17 am

I went back and checked for myself when you mentioned it. I didn't need proof, I wasn't doubting you. You'll have to wait for the next upload for it to be visible though. Tongue
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MorbiusMonster Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:29 am

I gather my information on wolves from a book I bought some time ago called the Wolf Almanac, tells me everything I need to know, has a wide variety of photos, even more informative than Wikipedia. I select the names of locations by using the names of subspecies in areas similar to those that I am writing about. Major towns and cities derive from main divisions of the species, like Latranz and Lupine, whereas key areas or locations within these regions are of subspecies, like Arctos (the arctic camp), Tundrarum or Hattai (the forest of Lycosa) or Hodophilax (the bathhouse and hotel of Lycosa).

Some names of characters, like Cheyenne, have their names derived from tribal or native clans that revere wolves in some way.

Tell me what else you'd like to know for names, but allow me to keep some for myself. Be aware that I will be leaving for China for two weeks, and my access to the internet will be limited.
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:34 am

You didn't have to divulge your secret, I just made the assumption you'd have one. Well, a system you used for naming things - like that one. Wink

Have fun in China! Smile
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MorbiusMonster Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:39 am

It's like with Harry Potter, all of Sirius' family are named after constellations and stars. Bellatrix is the name of a star and Sirius is the brightest star in the night sky, in the constellation Canis Major (meaning big dog, appropriate for someone who's animal form is a big dog).

Not to mention Remus Lupin, who is a werewolf. Lupin is latin name for wolf. I could do this all day...
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon78114 Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:15 am

Falador looks HUGE! Can you possibly shrink the city, a tad? It kinda is running into Asokka, and dominating the entire place.

Also, to be picky, how about have no road cutting through the Farradorn woods, making it more of a challenge to get through? It'll feel more like a forest, and you have to think to travel! Tongue
Dragon78114
Dragon78114
Partisan
Partisan

Number of posts : 1668

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:03 am

Dragon78114 wrote:Falador looks HUGE! Can you possibly shrink the city, a tad? It kinda is running into Asokka, and dominating the entire place.

Also, to be picky, how about have no road cutting through the Farradorn woods, making it more of a challenge to get through? It'll feel more like a forest, and you have to think to travel! Tongue

The White City or the bit labelled as Falador?

As for the road, consider it removed. Although it is named "woods" and thus being foresty isn't a necessity. Wink
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon78114 Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:45 pm

The White City is fine. It would be kind of fun, but a little sad to see a glorious castle next to a run-down town! Tongue

But I meant the small part labeled. I'm assuming that the square border of trees are the edge of town.
Dragon78114
Dragon78114
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by MorbiusMonster Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:36 pm

Usually, having a run down town next to castle can usually imply a number of things. It might just explain what the White Knights are really doing with the money they collect in taxes. Whether they are using it for the benefit of everyone, or whether they are just using it on the castle and on the temple knights in a bid to fend off an enemy that they just want to make of the Kinshra.

Speaking of which, do the Kinshra (the politically correct term for black knights) have their fortress featured on the map?

Oh and one other thing, I read in Betrayal at Falador, the white city itself was divided into multiple sections, there is the fortress of the white knights, the market square where the apothecary is, the commoner's quarters (where civillains live) and another part of the city that is squalid and run down, simply because not enough money or people live there. Just thought I'd like to mention that.
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:38 pm

I have the Castle (for fortress), Town Square and the Part. Then there's the trading docks (probably part of the reason Asokka went out of business - the White City began handling its own trade) and the rest of the city is quite compact residential.

Dragon, I've renamed bits of it so has to be less confusing. However, with the exception of the White City, yellow names are areas. What was formally known as Falador, now Greater Falador, is empty. The trees do border it, but it's bordering open land.

Map updated. Smile

Morbius, I decided Tundrarum sounded better as the wolf species' name. The Tundrarum. I don't know. But anyway, I still used some of the names you spat out in your ramble. Wink

The Black Knight Fortress has been on the map a while. Tongue
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon78114 Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:55 am

Alrighty, then.

To Morbius: are you suggesting that were-people live like EVERYWHERE because I noticed that you are making at least 5 towns in each kingdom populated by were-creatures.
Dragon78114
Dragon78114
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:59 am

To Morbius? Thus far I've done most of that. Unless you don't mean anything related to the map, and are just pointing out something Morbius has done elsewhere. Wink

Dwarves, Odder, Walen, Anthrowolf (I'm suddenly uncertain on the name) and Spookrow are the only non-human humanoids I've included on the map atm, I think. That being the whole close-up map. Although, all except the Walren can be found in Asgarnia. Tongue
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:27 am

Just edited it again. Smile
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon78114 Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:29 pm

since the members section Asgarnia is blocked off for Taverly, Burthroupe, and the Heroes' Guild? Perhaps the Mountain pass may separate the free/member Asgarnia, and nestle the Heroes' guild somewhere in the pass- so it is quite the challenge to find it (only fit for a hero to find it).
Dragon78114
Dragon78114
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next