The Suggestion Site
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pallis, the Encyclopedia Entry

+2
Zectiox
The Empty Lord
6 posters

Go down

Pallis, the Encyclopedia Entry  Empty Pallis, the Encyclopedia Entry

Post by The Empty Lord Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:39 am

Pallis, the Encyclopedia Entry
Formal entry on Pallis.
(Under construction)
Gielinor
Imagine for a moment that Gielinor, from space, resembled the Stone of Jas. The lower half is RuneScape—and the half that formally recognises the name 'Gielinor'—whilst the raised, cracked half is Pallis.

In light of Pallis' discovery, Guthixian's have made attempts to credit the creation of Pallis to Guthix also.

There are two popular theories to explain the shape of Gielinor;
The first is that the planet and the stone are quantum entangled... meaning that what happens to one, happens to the other. At some point the Stone was broken and this caused the planet to rupture (or possibly vice verse). Some Guthixians are optimistic that the shards of the stone might still exist, and that they might hold power akin to the stone itself. Some believe that the shards may already be known, and that powerful objects, such as the Godsword, owe their power to being forged from a piece of the stone.

The second is that a meteroite collided with the planet whilst still in it's clay-form, causing a ripple-like crator. When Guthix discovered the "blank plane", he created RuneScape within the crator and may have possibly created proto-Pallis. In light of the etch-a-sketch theory (which is the thought that, after Guthix threatened to startover if the Edicts were broken, it's possible that we aren't ourselves the first instance) it would be impossible to tell how old Pallis is with relation to RuneScape.

This theory is sometimes expanded upon that the remains of the metoerite became what is known today as the Stone of Jas, and that the collision with the stone is what forged the matrix the resonates in the ground.

Theories pertaining Jas as an actual God and the dragonkin's role in creation have greeted Pallis with gritted teeth, although I'm sure amendments/accomodations will be made in due course.

Pallis
Pallis (Pah-liss) is a world that resides on the raised side of Gielinor, and is known as the Barrenlands to those in RuneScape (as they do not believe it could support life, and scrying objects only ever see the mountainous regions that make up it's brink). Pallis is based mostly in the same era as RuneScape (feudalism, kingdoms, etc) combined with some folklore of the time (werewolves, dragons, etc), however, it's hit and miss.

The term Toban and Caldorian describe something from or pertaining to Toba and Caldorin, respectively. There is no accepted/common denomyn of Pallis.

In game-scale, it would hopefully take 30-40 minutes to cross from one side to the other. That's three times that which it currently takes to get from Port Phasmatys to Port Tyras (this is assuming Pallis is built on the same scale as RuneScape-2).

Geography
Pallis has a diverse ecosystem and a full spectrum of biomes. Split into two kingdoms: Toba and Caldorin. In most cases, Toba in the north exists on the dry-side of the biome pyramid, whilst Caldorin sits on the wetter side of the spectrum.

Beyond the landmass of Pallis exists—what the inhabitants call—the Cloud Sea, named after the expanse of cloud that usually spans as far as the eye can see. The cloud sea is subject to tides and waves, and can even produce mist much like it's water-body counterpart. However, mist that forms above the cloud sea is part of a weather phenomina to flush magical residue from the cloud. Known as "mistrise", this magical-rich mist is akin to the dramatised effects of a radiation cloud in some fiction - capable of mutating/warping organsisms it touches. Mistrise has a purple hue, in contrast to the bluer hue of regular mist.

Magic
The grid seen upon the Stone is representative of the magical matrix that exists upon Gielinor. It's assumed that this matrix covers an entire layer of the planet. Although means do exist to extract and amplify magic, the bredth of the crust renders magic almost powerless on Pallis.

Note that this does not mean Pallis is without it's own 'magical' arts.

Races
Caldorin
Dwallow are arguably the feature-race of Caldorin, playing the role of humans whilst not being human. Their skin varies from pale purple to peacock blue, and average at between 7 and 8ft tall (although dwarfism exists, although it's an abnormality and not a race). They have four digits on each hand and foot, and skintails that grow similar to horns about their head. Their faces are longer, with a more pronounced brow that visibly extends to the ears (or rather, less pronounced forehead), and large house-elf like ears (Harry Potter).

Culturally, they are very matter-of-fact. They don't ask "why are we here", and frankly don't care even if someone else asks it. They are pseudo-religious, praising the Forerunner for their gifts but they don't actively worship them. 3mpty: In hindsight, the dwallows beliefs are somewhat deistic... their god is inactive/passive, rather than active/judgmental (although the forerunner are not regarded as gods). They have the reputation of being pushovers by mogrul-folk.

A similar abnormality that causes some humans to be innately artistic, or good at maths, exists in dwallows - although rarer. Revered as "Thinkers", these dwallow have an almost opposite view on the world; hard-coded with curiosity, a knack for quickly grasping/understanding new concepts, an eye for potential and a thirst for adventure/discovery. Thinkers, unlike many scientists in the developing eras in Earth's history, are rarely confronted by conservatism from their peers... and are easily capable of "changing the world" without much resistance (at least from other dwallow).

Diminor...

Raani...

Toba
Mogrul are a hardy race: incredibly thick-skinned and bulky. They, to some respect, resemble the Krogan from the Mass Effect franchise... with a large, plated hump on their back and little discernible neck. Like the dwallow, they have four digits on each hand and foot but stand on hoofed feet.

Dragons...

Scrid...

Antar...

Pallis

History
Modern Pallis is built upon the remains of a long since abandoned empire of those who came before, known simply as the Forerunner or the Creators. There is much contreversy over the fate of the Forerunner as they seemingly vanished in an instant without a trace; their civilization left at the mercy of the elements. However, such is the quality of their technology and architecture that a great deal is still in use today. As such, Pallis could be considered technologically advanced in comparison with RuneScape - but there is much to be desired. Whilst the technology is in most cases fully functional, understanding of how it works is limited and very little has been sucessfully backwards engineered.

The history of Pallis still has much to be decided.

Current historical events:
In centuries past, one of Toba's drills (powerful extraction artifacts left behind by the forerunner) went into meltdown. The unrefined magic corrupted the local landscape and wildlife. The antare, a scorpion-like race, were thought to be driven extinct due to the resulting blast leaving behind a husk-like race known as the scrid. Present-day discoveries have unearthed a single colony.
[list=1][*]

Last edited by 3mptylord on Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:19 am; edited 7 times in total
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 7344

http://3mptylord.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Pallis, the Encyclopedia Entry  Empty Re: Pallis, the Encyclopedia Entry

Post by Zectiox Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:41 am

One word: Awesome!!!

Well Races: major & minor
Futher facts on geography; mountains, forests, plainland.. Damit need names..

Anyway awesome summery 3mpty, just awesome : )

EDIT: still awesome ;D

Last edited by Zectiox on Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zectiox
Zectiox
Advocate

Number of posts : 743

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:23 am

It's under construction. I've since added some description on the Dwallow. Smile
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:32 am

Fantastic. I love it, and it answers most of my questions

There are, however a few questions that remain unanswered

1. How does the player get to Pallis? And, given that there seem to be no humans here currently, what are the implications of him/her going here?
2. What was Pallis' involvement in the God Wars? They supposedly affected the whole of Gielinor + many other realms. Is Pallis isolated enough from Gielinor to have been totally missed by EVERYONE who took part? If yes, does this have anything to do with that magical matrix?
3. Are any races of Gielinor aware of Pallis, or currently living in it? I know you mentioned dragons... Is that because they can fly up to Pallis? Have the dragons that exist on Pallis come from Gielinor? Have they been there? Again, it seems unlikely to me that the Mahjarrat have not noticed or visited Pallis if it is separated by mere geographical barriers

Other than that, great guide (Y)
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Number of posts : 1248

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:40 am

1) A stranger? Outsiders aren't entirely unheard of, but rare enough they fade into myth.

2) Pallis avoided the war. If Arandar kept the war out of Tirannwn, I don't see why several kilometer high cliffs would have been easier to pass. They weren't worshipped on Pallis, so I don't understand what the war up there would have been about. Tongue

3) Pretty much not aware. Like you said, the Mahjarrat, gods, dragonkin, etc, may have been aware of it. The general masses don't. The dragons on Pallis are slightly different to those on RuneScape, so given Dragons are one of few races with an evolution background it's possible that the ones on Pallis descended from the dragonkin as well. It's possible that the stories could be interlocked. Smile
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zectiox Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:58 am

well mogruls..

5 Mogruul dynasties all over Toba..
Heavy and taller than Dwallows...
Shamans

anyway I just luv it Meow
Zectiox
Zectiox
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:20 am

Yeah, yeah... I'll get to it. Tongue
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zectiox Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:25 am

hey no panic, there's time ;D this is just a great thread to go and watch if you forget something important about the project..
Zectiox
Zectiox
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:40 am

Hmm. I may have a Pallis related idea brewing in my head right now, but I need to gather some information for it...

So I have a few questions...

1. Do the Dwallow and the Mogrul kingdoms share any borders? If so, where, what terrains, etc?
2. Do the Dwallow and Mogrul coexist peacefully? Or could there be a possibility of war/skirmishes/border tensions
3. What kind of weapons do the Dwallow and the Mogrul use?
4. What kind of artifacts did the forerunner leave behind? Anything worth fighting over?
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:41 am

Slayer10090 wrote:Hmm. I may have a Pallis related idea brewing in my head right now, but I need to gather some information for it...

So I have a few questions...

1. Do the Dwallow and the Mogrul kingdoms share any borders? If so, where, what terrains, etc?
2. Do the Dwallow and Mogrul coexist peacefully? Or could there be a possibility of war/skirmishes/border tensions
3. What kind of weapons do the Dwallow and the Mogrul use?
4. What kind of artifacts did the forerunner leave behind? Anything worth fighting over?

1) The mogrul and caldorian races make up the top and bottom respectively. They share the middle as a border. However, neither races actually occupy the middle... it's a rainforest. Smile

2) Pretty much peaceful. However, the Mogrul don't like foreigners in places they deem scared... relics, some cities, etc. They will get hostile then. Although it's not always murder on sight.

3) Unknown/undecided. Tongue

4) Mogrul don't use any forerunner relics, and there aren't many in Toba. However, the magic-drills can only be found in Toba which the Caldorian races use... so there could be conflict there if a mogrul decides to establish a farm or something nearby.
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:48 am

Thank you very much for that
A few additional questions...

What is the Mogrul view on the Forerunner in general? Do they worship them at all? Could they be tempted into utilising Forerunner relics should they find one powerful enough?
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duskcurse Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:54 am

Antare use the desert for you to remember, I'll work on them soon, perphas I'll base in a mix of greek and aztec history and lore
Duskcurse
Duskcurse
Partisan
Partisan

Number of posts : 1367

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:05 am

Slayer10090 wrote:What is the Mogrul view on the Forerunner in general? Do they worship them at all? Could they be tempted into utilising Forerunner relics should they find one powerful enough

They aren't fully convinced on the Forerunner. They see it as the forerunner are extinct, weaklings perhaps: too obsessed with their technology that they were easily defeated. The mogrul are strong, the mogrul are present: the forerunner are puny, tall-ones. The mogrul worship the Earth Mother, or Spirit Mother (perhaps even both... a spirit and earth god of kinds). It's perhaps some things forerunner that been attributed to the Spirit Mother - but obviously, something powerful and forerunner will attract Caldorians whilst mogrul are highly defensive of their relics. Smile

Duskcurse wrote:Antare use the desert for you to remember, I'll work on them soon, perphas I'll base in a mix of greek and aztec history and lore

Antare are within Toba, they aren't at the edge. Wink
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Duskcurse Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:38 pm

Oh, k, still it's ok if I base their lore/culture on greeck and aztec cultures/lore
Duskcurse
Duskcurse
Partisan
Partisan

Number of posts : 1367

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:11 pm

I'm not sure how well the two go together, but sure I guess.
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MorbiusMonster Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:24 pm

The Sol are without doubt one of the more mysterious races that inhabit Pallis. Though learned and wise, their language is mostly cryptic, as if the only way to properly communicate and understand it, one would need to be a Sol.

Though diverse and highly adaptive, ancient evidence suggests that they are not native to Pallis. Common belief is that originated on Pallis alongside the forerunner, perhaps even pre-dating them. The Sol shed little information in common language as to how they came to be or when they arrived to Pallis. Briefly mentioned is what can only be interpreted as "the Sol Dimension", where it is speculated by historians to be the true home of the Sol, but quite why they left is curious.

The Sol, unlike most life forms, do not directly ingest food for their primary energy source. They indeed do eat, but only for nutritional supplement, such as acquiring amino acids or oils from a body. Most derive energy from another source of some kind. Their colouration and the design of their serene "halo" determines their adapted energy source.
Red (Thermosol) - Heat or Light
Canary yellow (Zephyrsol) - Air movements and wind
Golden yellow (Electrosol) - Lightning and electricity
Green (Photosol) - Light and chlorophyll
Light Blue (Cryosol) - Ice and frozen water
Teal (Hydrosol) - Water
Purple (Virusol) - Poisonous gases/substances
Dull Silver (Cathosol) - Negative charges or south pole magnetics
Chrome (Anosol) - Positive charges or north pole magnetics
Brown (Terrasol) - Minerals within the Earth
Pale White (Lunasol) - Lunar energy or moonlight

It is also speculated that more species of Sol exist, based on historic evidence, eye witness accounts or by references from Sol contacts. At present, until further research confirms their existence, these Sol are references as "Abstract Sol". One of the most notable of these is the Origin Sol or "Precursol", which can acquire energy from almost any source and may be able to reproduce all other Sol.

Their culture is relatively unknown as the Sol are hive-minds, communicating with eachother through telepathy. Work continues to study whether these creatures have a culture that could be comparable to common species, or even if they have emotions. It is also unknown as to how Sol breed or even if they have intimacy or intercourse to reproduce. Their life span is said to extend for centuries, due to their means of meeting their energy needs, with energy being absorbed directly able to sustain their systems far better than "crude" bioenergy systems of common life forms.
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Number of posts : 2641

Back to top Go down

Post by The Empty Lord Sun May 01, 2011 1:33 am

It's good stuff, it it just doesn't feel written in the right context. I'm not sure there are any races on Pallis who match your "historians" and "work continues to study" statements. Mogrul would likely use them as target practice, and the dwallow aren't curious to the mysteries of life. Wink

Also, I'm not sure who's "common belief [it is that they] originated on Pallis alongside the forerunner" as it is common belief nothing from that time survived to the present day. Tongue
The Empty Lord
The Empty Lord
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Avorian Sun May 01, 2011 3:18 am

Bak Dimin might.
Dark Avorian
Dark Avorian
Templar
Templar

Number of posts : 3550
Location : Within the hallowed halls of the mighty, those known only as nobles.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down