The Suggestion Site
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Portal Experimentation Room (Dung Planes Revamped)

4 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The Portal Experimentation Room (Dung Planes Revamped) - Page 2 Empty The Portal Experimentation Room (Dung Planes Revamped)

Post by Slayer Noir Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:30 am

First topic message reminder :

The Portal Experimentation Room

--Introduction
So this is the portal experimentation room. It serves two purposes, really. One is to create a surface-world method of training dungeoneering, in order to help integrate the skill with the rest of RuneScape. The other (and for me more important) purpose is to allow me to suggest loads of cool and unique items. If you can't be bothered with the rest of the thread, just check them out. Tongue

--Backstory
Spoiler:

--Using the PER
Spoiler:

--The Mechanics
Spoiler:

--So then...
Spoiler:

--List of Items
Spoiler:

--List of Monsters

Drop rate key. C = common, U = uncommon, R = rare, VR = very rare, > "monster" = has greater drop rate than "monster".

From the Gorajo Homeworld
Spoiler:

From the Stalker Planes
Spoiler:

From The World of the Behemoth
Spoiler:

From the Infernal Dimensions
Spoiler:

Ignore everything below. It's remnants of this thread pre-revamp, and I've yet to turn it into the new lists.

Spoiler:

Last edited by Slayer Noir on Wed May 30, 2012 3:00 am; edited 34 times in total
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Number of posts : 1248

Back to top Go down

The Portal Experimentation Room (Dung Planes Revamped) - Page 2 Empty Re: The Portal Experimentation Room (Dung Planes Revamped)

Post by MorbiusMonster Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:36 am

I always figured that something particularly nasty had to be behind the power of dragon breath. I figured that dragon breath is magnetic and here is my reasoning.

Dragons are commonly found near ore materials, regardless of where you are. I suspect that the ore is to act as roughage in the body to allow it to digest its food better, whilst some parts of it are used within the fuel of its breath. By consuming the ore, some of the ore is magentically charged and remains so in the dragon's body.

When expelled in their breath, the similar charges of the atoms of metal in their breath cause it to spread out broadly and will be drawn naturally to other magnetic structures, such a player's armour. Even under normal circumstance, magnetism is lost at higher temperatures, but higher pressures maintain it (as is the case with the Earth's core). Bronze is magnetic, as is iron and steel. This also suggests that mithril, adamant and rune are also magentic. However, using this principle, a variety of simple measures are used to counteract this phenomena.

The Anti-dragon shield has stats comparable to that of a standard iron shield. The only difference between it and a genuine iron shield is that the anti-dragon shield is magnetically induced, with a similar pole to material within the dragon's breath. This allows it to repel weaker and similar charged particles, but the defence still draws to it some opposingly charged particles, meaning some damage is still taken.

As a dragon ages, some of the magnetic compounds simply are extruded to the surface of a dragon's skin within the scales, giving the scales protection against dragon breath also. Correctly treated, recently shed scales are used in anti-fire potions which create, for a short while, some magnetism within the drinkers's blood stream (but this doesn't last very long) allowing them to have further resistance from it.

That, at least, is the theory behind the power of dragon breath.

MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Number of posts : 2641

Back to top Go down

The Portal Experimentation Room (Dung Planes Revamped) - Page 2 Empty Re: The Portal Experimentation Room (Dung Planes Revamped)

Post by Slayer Noir Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:50 am

You know, Morb, I think that's probably the first and only scientific explanation I'll hear for any aspect of RuneScape. Can't find a flaw with it.

Here's a potential suggestion - if we can understand how the anti-dragon shield works, can we replicate it's effects on other pieces of armour? Is their demand for this though - do players need more antifire?
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by MorbiusMonster Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:26 am

With a shield, it is much easier than using all the armour. A shield is immobile, so it is easier to induce magentism on. On armour, you'd end up being fairly stiff with bits attaching together.
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:00 am

Below is a redraft of the Gorajo World. I'd like to know whether it's an improvement on the original, or whether I've tried to put too much in...

Erevea, The Gorajo's World

Erevea is the name the Gorajo give to the plane from which they originated. The most notable difference between Erevea and Gielinor is the plants - on Gielinor, most plants have evolved with a green chlorophyll pigment, but on Erevea, the chlorophyll pigment is a reddish-grey, giving Erevea a predominantly reddish-grey landscape.
Geographically, Erevea is mainly marshlands, littered with sinkholes, and with some dry high ground atop hills.

Areas
Within the player's wander radius lie 3 major landmarks:
Cragashwi Camp - a camp for Ramokee exiles situated in the marshes (for combat).
The Haamidia Sinkhole - a large sinkhole full of Gulegea (for combat).
Uuvatali Town - a Gorajo settlement located atop a hill (for information/services).
There are also marshes connecting the three locations.

When passing through a portal, you will find yourself in Uuvatali Town, though I'll describe it last because it'll make much more sense if you know about the other two landmarks.

Cragashiwi Camp is a run-down, dilapidated campsite made by Ramokee who were expelled from Gorajo civilisation. The area is made up of about 7 tattered, wet tents scattered around a red-grey marsh. Should you visit the camp, you will find the Ramokees to be rather hostile, and you can fight them for their unique drops. There are 4 types of Ramokee to fight:

Erevean Bloodragers (level 121): The meleers of the camp. Bloodragers here are similar to their Daemonheim counterparts in aesthetic, though they covered in mud due to living in the swamps and their clothes are more ragged. They are relatively high hitting, but not especially accurate or fast. However, unlike those in Daemonheim, Erevean Bloodragers have a special attack: They will occasionally stop fighting, raise their fists and slam them down on the square in front of them, dealing devastating, but dodgable, damage.

Erevean Stormbringers (level 109): The mages of the camp, again their are similar to their Daemonheim counterparts in aesthetic, but are covered in mud and have a broken left horn. They attack with magic at average speed and damage, but are quite accurate. Like the Erevean Bloodrager, they too have a special attack: They will slowly charge a large ball of magic and fire it at the player, dealing large, unblockable damage. To avoid it, the player must attack the Stormbringer with two different attack styles (eg mage and melee) to make them flinch.

Erevean Deathslingers (level 109): The rangers of the camp, like all Ereveans Ramokees they look similar to their Daemonheim counterparts, though Deathslingers in Erevea muddied and appear to be wounded - with a large cut running across their gut all the way to their left shoulder. Deathslingers here are fast, but average on accuracy and max hit. Their special attack is a boomerang that encircles the player, dealing damage to them should they step away from the square they're currently on.

Erevean Corpseraisers (level 66): With no Daemonheim counterpart, corpseraisers are the Gorajo that were banished for practicing the despised art of necromancy. They look like floating versions of the bloodrager, wearing dangling purple robes. Corpseraisers are the only non-aggressive monsters in the camp. While easy to kill themselves, when attacked they summon 4-8 Undead Bloodragers, Deathslingers or Stormbringers, each of which is about half as strong as their Erevean counterpart, so beware.

So why would you kill these monsters? For their drops, of course...

Quartzes (Stormbringer and Corpseraiser only): Quartzes are the Gorajo versions of runes, and come in all the types runes do (including combination), except astral. When used in place of a rune, each quartz adds +5 damage to the spell being cast (the reason no there's no astral quartzes now becomes clear - astral runes aren't used in damaging spells). Smart players may use their quartzes on spells that require a lot of runes for a big max hit.

Gorajo Spear: Requires 55 attack to wield. With mediocre stats (50 stab, 52 slash and 51 crush with 49 strength and no defense bonuses), the Gorajo spear is no match for the Zamorakian and Guthan's spears in straight forward combat. However, it boasts a -5kg weight and a special attack that restores all run energy for 75% of the bar so smart players can find a use for it.

Gorajo boots: Reduces the negative environmental effects of the marshes (see The Marshes section)

Log bag: Holds up to 20 of any type of log - great for woodcutters. Only 1 can be owned at a time.

Herb bag: Holds up to 15 herbs - great for herb gatherers. Only 1 can be owned at a time.

Bloodrager, Deathsligner, Stormbringer and Corpseraiser outfits: Tops, bottoms and gloves to give you that Ramokee look. Mostly cosmetic, though wearing a set will stop its respective Ramokee from being agressive. The corpseraiser outfit, which is much harder to obtain, will stop all Ramokees from being aggressive.

Slinger's Gloves (Deathslinger only): Give a 12% damage bonus when using thrown weapons. Probably not enough to make thrown weapons useful in most situations, but great for situations where they're already ideal.

Life Gloves (Stormbringer only): Wear these gloves and the rune cost of each spell will be halved. The trade off? 30 lifepoints damage for every rune saved. Ouch. Using these in combat will probably get you killed, but with the right food, in safe PvP like Castle Wars, or with Soul Split, a lot of money could be saved using these gloves.

Gorajo Vials: A simple concept, these harder to obtain vials can contain 5 doses where instead of the normal 4. Useful if you need a little bit of extra inventory space, but they're hard to collect and thus not so cheap to dispose, which might be a problem in some forms of combat.

Thats all for now folks. More to come soon...

Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:20 am

Some notes on the above post:

1. I've decided to steer away from the "You're only here for combat" attitude I previously had - the Gorajo city will have some services and NPCs that tell you more about the race.

2. I'm a little unsure about how I've organised the thread so far. It looks a little cluttered with all its sections and sub sections. Opinions on this would be appreciated.

3. I'm also a little concerned that there's A LOT to read here, and I'm not even half way through 1 of my 5 worlds. Should I be more brief? Can I be more brief without compromising the amount of information I give?
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duskcurse Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:44 am

Simply marvelous
Duskcurse
Duskcurse
Partisan
Partisan

Number of posts : 1367

Back to top Go down

Post by Handeath Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:19 am

I think you should go with a Summary at the beginning of your post, and advise that you're suggesting several 'dungeons' at once. This way, people could comment on the overview/one plane/the whole thing.
Handeath
Handeath
Advocate

Number of posts : 955

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:47 pm

Good point. When posting this on the RSOF, it should be broken up by different posts and thus a bit clearer. I'll get a message at the start along the lines of "if you simply support the basic idea, no need to read on, but if you want to discuss anything, please read as much as you can about it".

Making a contents page can only really be done when I know what all my content will be, but I do plan on making one.

An idea I've had: In the contents page, I may mark certain items as controversial, so that players looking for a discussion can skip straight to the major talking points.

And lastly, Dusk, thanks so much for the positive feedback Grin.
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:01 am

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

It's quite evident that this whole thing is too big. I just don't have enough ideas to make enough new drops for so many creatures and enough to do in all the different areas, and as a consequence I've been avoiding this whole suggestion for months.

So, I'm having a little revamp of the idea. I'm scrapping all the different areas and effectively rolling them into one - The Portal Experimentation Room. That way, I only have to think of enough content to satisfy one dungeon, instead of 4+ areas.

So here's how it works now. The Portal Experimentation Room was an area deep in the Daemonheim used by Bilrach to open portals to other planes of existence and summon creatures to aid him. It was one of many, but that's not relevant.

The magic of the Rift causes rooms within the Daemonheim to relocate themselves in space, thus shuffling the dungeon around. However, a particularly strong spike in Rift magic has sent a Portal Experimentation Room to the surface of Gielinor (I'll decide where later), and now experienced dungeoneers can use it to summon monsters from the dungeoneering planes for combat, and their unique drops.

Sound like an improvement? It certainly feels more manageable...
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:11 am

As your dungeoneering level increases, you can use your knowledge of Daemonheim to operate the equipment in the PER. Higher levels mean you'll be able to open portals to more areas, as well as open them faster.

Monsters can be stingy with their drops. However, fighting them will teach you more about them and their Daemonheim counterparts and so will earn you dungeoneering XP.

Occasionally, something unexpected might come through the portal - in a random event like fashion. A friendly Gorajo, for example, may come through and give you a gift.
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:03 am

I've gathered every monster I've come up with so far and put them into a list, adding additional monsters so that every plane has at least 1 low level monster, 1 meleer, 1 ranger, 1 mage and 1 boss. I'll flesh it out by putting in their requirements, drops and examine info later.

Erevean Bloodrager
Erevean Deathslinger
Erevean Stormbringer
Erevean Corpseraiser
Infant Gulega
Gulega
Plagued Gulega
Ramokee Tribe Leader (boss)
Groundshaker Gulega (boss)

Stalker Spawn
Flesh-seeker
Blade-spitter
Blood-gazer
Life-Crusher Vhakhiran (boss)

Bovine Behemoth
Marsh Behemoth
Sand Behemoth
Frost Behemoth
Mountain Behemoth
Ancient Behemoth (boss)

Infernal Scorpion
Kal'Gerion Archer
Kal'Gerion Curser
Kal'Gerion Footsoldier
Elite Throne Guardian
Rakranomax
Rek'Kor The Bloodluster (boss)
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:45 pm

And below is a list of all the items I've managed to come up with:

Focus Charm
Acute Charm
Visionary Charm
Focus Shield
Acute Shield
Visionary Shield
Splatter Staff
Vicious Charm
Raging Gloves
Furious Gloves
Overpower Gloves

Tank Shield
Arrowbane Shield
Impervious Shield
Behemoth Ribs
Behemoth Steak
Behemoth Heart
Behemoth Head
Strange Clay
Raging Helmet
Furious Helmet
Overpower Helmet

Uncharged Quartz
Gorajo Spear
Log Bag
Herb Bag
Slinger's Gloves
Storm Buckler
Raging Legs
Furious Legs
Overpower Legs

Demonic Talons
Infernal Halberd
Infernal Mace
Kal'Gerion Arrows
Curse Orbs:
-Leech Curse Orbs
-Tiring Curse Orbs
-Weakening Curse Orbs
-Dazing Curse Orbs
-Blinding Curse Orbs
-Disabling Curse Orbs
-Unholy Curse Orbs
-Unnatural Curse Orbs
Raging Top
Furious Top
Overpower Top

Life Gloves
Eternity Scrolls
Mysterious Shards
Raging Boots
Furious Boots
Overpower Boots
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by MorbiusMonster Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:32 am

When they introduced the update of the second batch of Fremmenik Sagas, Jagex changed the way dungeons are run in terms of supplies.

Needles, tinderboxes, chisels, knifes, novite picks and hatchets and many other basic supplies are available by default.

Raw materials such as food, wood, ore and plants are now stackable.

Keys no longer take up a space.
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:46 am

Ok, that happened a while ago, and what does it have to do with my idea?
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Thu May 17, 2012 6:49 am

I've been stealthily adding to this, and it's nearly done now.

Have a look, give me some some feedback, it'll be much appreciated Grin
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duskcurse Thu May 17, 2012 7:29 am

I prefered the 4+ areas
Duskcurse
Duskcurse
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Thu May 17, 2012 8:09 am

Ouch...
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duskcurse Thu May 17, 2012 8:11 am

SOrry Sad But it's my personal taste, it made it mroe, kinda I don't know, dungeoneering-esque, or bilrach-esque if you prefer, sorry dude
Duskcurse
Duskcurse
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Thu May 17, 2012 8:16 am

I know we've lost some epicness, but in return we've got more simplicity.
The focus for this was always the items, and areas became unnecessary for what I wanted to achieve.

But don't worry, I'm not consigning our work on the planes to the scrapheap. I have plans...

Anyway, if I make it adamantly clear that I'm not going back to the old format, can I have some other feedback, particularly on the items?
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duskcurse Thu May 17, 2012 8:23 am

hmm I can't comment on that, I don't care for items unless they have lore/RP value. ALso, you could make the Portal more fun, but complicated, addign a seet of runes that need to be drawn to open the portals, and each combination could oppen a new portal, this also allows you to experiment with new things
Duskcurse
Duskcurse
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Thu May 17, 2012 8:29 am

Taken into consideration, but if I'm honest, I don't want to unnecessarily complicate things.

Tell me, what is "RP value"??
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duskcurse Thu May 17, 2012 8:32 am

Role Playing value, an item that if you keep it, you can use it to make a RP better or more intresting. For example, if you have the bandos set, you can say that you where a Bandosian warrior that was frozen and now was free, trying to adapt to a new world, and so on. And c'mon simple things are boring
Duskcurse
Duskcurse
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Thu May 17, 2012 8:36 am

I see.

I dunno, I wanted to keep my items a bit mysterious, but you're starting to make me think I've left the lore out too much...

With that in mind, take a look at this:
"All-Out Armour:
Three sets of mythical and powerful armour have been scattered around the multiverse for the player to collect."
Would you add lore here?
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duskcurse Thu May 17, 2012 8:40 am

yes, yes, desperately, if you want hem to be mysterious, that's fine,but you can make it more mysterious by adding more lore, like saying that the armour is covered in dust and blood of wierd colours, and that the armour itself is wierd
Duskcurse
Duskcurse
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Thu May 17, 2012 8:42 am

Yes, I like that. I like it a lot. Give something for the player to ask questions about, rather than nothing at all.

Could you do what you just did again? This time...

"Splatter Staff:
The splatter staff has a chance of turning single hitting spells into multi-hitting spells and buffers spells that are already multi-hitting."

What lore would you put behind that?
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duskcurse Thu May 17, 2012 8:47 am

*utters something in phyrexian* The wierd, almost deformed design of this staff allows it to multiply spells thought a complex system of mirrors inside of it, but the material that it's made from can easily absorb the mana spent on a multi spell
Duskcurse
Duskcurse
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum