The Suggestion Site
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Graaft - Group Project

5 posters

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

The Graaft - Group Project - Page 5 Empty The Graaft - Group Project

Post by Slayer Noir Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:01 am

First topic message reminder :

To do

To do:
Create a leader-type figure for the Mentir, to be a main villain - Handeath
Create a good Mentir to ally with the player
Create two minor characters: The Royal Leader and the Democratic Leader

Expand on how Graaft wage war: How much do they rely on their grafting ability for weaponry? Do they use other weapons too? Are there "standard issue" parts for soldiers? - Slayer Noir
Expand on succession for leaders: specifically, how would a leader get replaced? We know the democratic leader will have some sort of election, but what if someone wanted to replace Pharamedes or Kareeb? - Slayer Noir
Expand upon Amesgaizto and religious values - Duskcurse

The Graaft is a group project that me and Morbius have been working on. We're working towards creating a new race and a quest series featuring them. We've gotten to the point where we're happy with the bare bones, and now want your help fleshing it out.

The race is called the Graaft. This is what we know about them so far:

-The Graaft are a strange race that inhabit another plane. Once they reach maturity, they loose the ability to heal, and to compensate for this, they replace their own damaged body parts with others. These body parts can come from other races, and this gives the Graaft incredible diversity.
The Graaft have latent magical potential gifted to them by their God that can help them with their transplants. It allows them to use body parts of slightly less biological creatures. Things like demons, for example, which are magical rather than biological.

-Appearance:
Spoiler:

-History:
Spoiler:

-The Graaft's Enemies

The Mentir
Spoiler:

The Crul
Spoiler:

Strae
See "Lifemaker Strae" in the characters section

- Culture
Spoiler:

-The Graaft's Homeplane
Spoiler:

-Leadership
Spoiler:

-Graaft Warfare
Spoiler:

-Graaft Succession
Spoiler:

-Characters

Xana
Spoiler:

Aschkott
Spoiler:

Lifemaker Strae
Spoiler:

Kareeb The Priest
Spoiler:

Commander Pharamedes:
Spoiler:

-Muroidea
Spoiler:

-A "Good" Mentir
Spoiler:

-Deleriaus
Spoiler:

-Plotlines
Spoiler:

So yeah, that's the Graaft so far. Help us create something epic. Smile

Last edited by Slayer Noir on Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:20 am; edited 15 times in total
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Number of posts : 1248

Back to top Go down

The Graaft - Group Project - Page 5 Empty Re: The Graaft - Group Project

Post by MorbiusMonster Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:46 am

The Crul should have something of a rocky stature, something that rivals the Graaft's ability to stitch themselves back together. The Crul simply can mend their skin using rocks and stones.

MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Number of posts : 2641

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:56 am

I take it you found the questions then, or coincidentally answered them when you were just adding information?

I like your ideas, generally, but I don't wanna make the Mentir too rat-like. Give them pinched faces and ratty teeth yeah, but don't make them look like humanoid rodents.

As for the story building up, that too sounds good. But I'd like all story lines to be introduced in the first quest, in order to stop any of them looking like an after-thought.

I'd like to have the player in the Graaft city by the first quest, as it's the only real way to introduce them to the Crul and the Mentir.

Let's face it. The Graaft are in trouble before you even meet them. It'll be hard making the series seem too benign to start with. We can build it up, yes, but the threat should be there to start with.
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:42 am

By the way, Morb, may I ask you to reconsider Lifemaker Strae's status as a relatively "pure" Graaft. It has occured to me that the serpent sums him up nicely, and that it might be good to have that on him somewhere.

Besides, it seems an awful shame to create creatures with such interesting biology just to have one of the most important characters not making use of it.
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by MorbiusMonster Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:52 am

I was going to give him one "impure" feature. He has one element of him not belonging to his species and isn't shared by any other member.

The Heart of a Mahjarrat.
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:59 am

So that's a no to my idea, then?
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by MorbiusMonster Tue May 01, 2012 8:07 am

I'll see if I can get round to doing some doodling tomorrow of the three species.
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Tue May 01, 2012 8:18 am

Prioritise the Graaft and the Mentir, I don't think we have enough on the Crul yet to draw them.

I too, have some drawings of Graaft. They're fairly crap, since I'm not an artist, but I might upload them for comparison anyway.
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by MorbiusMonster Tue May 01, 2012 8:33 am

Now here's an idea. In theory, in order to stitch together two parts, you'd need a special kind of thread, particularly one that allows two, otherwise, incompatible parts to work in harmony.

What do you reckon makes such thread?
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by Duskcurse Tue May 01, 2012 9:00 am

hmm how about a plant that acts like a second skind? The plant overtime accomodates the grafted par to suit the new bodie
Duskcurse
Duskcurse
Partisan
Partisan

Number of posts : 1367

Back to top Go down

Post by Handeath Tue May 01, 2012 10:08 am

So the Graft extend their lives by grafting the parts of others onto them.

I call culture! I imagine them to be very well learned, both of anatomy as you two have discussed, and of other cultures. These two traits make them very sophisticated, surprising given their piecemeal appearence. Addams family much? Tongue This should also be reflected in their architecture by using parts of other species, particularly Dramiyre (that aristocratic vampire town), Zanaris, Dourskan, and Kelgarim.

In fact, I think we can involve Frankstein and H.A.M. in the quest lines. But this is a group project, what do you think?
Handeath
Handeath
Advocate

Number of posts : 955

Back to top Go down

Post by MorbiusMonster Tue May 01, 2012 3:45 pm

Sorry, culture was already mine Handeath.
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Tue May 01, 2012 5:26 pm

Morb, noone owns anything here (and you never made any claim to culture anyway).

Handeath, you can add aspects of culture if you want to (though I should advise you that architecture has its own separate category where we already have some of your ideas). I rather like the idea of an emphasis on intelligence. Can you elaborate - do they have schools like we do? Libraries? How do they attain this information - are they asked to bring it back when they go on their trials? And in what form do they store it - on paper, or magically somehow?

As for involving other questlines, I'm not keen on putting HAM in, as we're already at risk of drawing too many parallels to the Dorgeshuun series, but we could potentially involve Fenkenstrain.
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

The Graaft - Group Project - Page 5 Empty The Plane of Moglask

Post by MorbiusMonster Tue May 01, 2012 7:51 pm

The plane of origin for the Graaft is called Moglask. As far as the eye can see, it is a relatively barren place, not unlike the Wilderness. Beyond the Complex, the land is harsh and volcanic; the tribes of savages will attack most trespassers. In other places, the land is muggy and marshlike.

The Complex is the main living area for the Graaft; about the size of Kandarin everything the Graaft do goes on inside. After searching through many planes for pieces, the Graaft found habitation technology and created the complex using the terraforming equipment. A surrounding area is partially cultivated in order for agriculture to take place using specially acquired fertile soil.

When the Mentir arrived, the Graaft allowed the Mentir to stay, provided they obeyed the rules. Tensions between species quickly began when a series of offenses began emerging. Mentir weren't adhering to important meal time rules, frequently stole and were downright disrespectful. Claiming the Graaft were unhygenic in their culture, the Mentir finally pushed the barrier when they decided to mock the Graaft by walking around the complex completely naked. After that point, Mentir were only allowed on the grounds to trade and had to establish their own stronghold.

The Mentir stronghold has a creepy comparison to a hospital, white tiled walls and floors with bright lighting designed to disorientate anyone not wearing specially designed goggles. They don't allow the Graaft inside and any that usually come close are often sprayed with lethal chemicals.

The market square is based outside, but tensions continued to occur when some Mentir traders began causing problems. With the organs being kept in poor conditions and allowing flies to gathering, the Mentir brought a wave of unwanted stench and decay, causing a fuss with many Graaft who found their produce was going off thanks to the decay the Mentir were bringing with them. The Graaft had finally had enough of the Mentir when a Mentir herbalist destroyed a stall of a Graaft competitor when he was making a sale. Since then, unless they adhere to specific rules, their trade takes place in the Cauldron, a crater some distance from the stalls.
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by Duskcurse Wed May 02, 2012 3:05 am

Anyone can comment on my idea, and Morbius, this is a group project, we must discuss things between us, you can't come, put a piece of content and say that it's cannon, we must first discuss it as a group
Duskcurse
Duskcurse
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Wed May 02, 2012 5:57 am

Then Dusk, one should assume he's suggesting it, not insisting it's cannon.

Besides, I have the OP, so he at least has to convince me before it's cannon Tongue

Morb, brilliant overall. I particularly like your ideas on the Mentir's base.

Can we tweak one or two bits though?
First - since when did we have tribes of savages? I thought the Crul would've overrun the wasteland, and they were the reason the Graaft don't leave their city.
Can we cut the Mentir walking around naked please? I really don't see why we need that.
I always imagined that the Mentir were kind of walking all over the Graaft. The Graaft are, by nature, incredibly accepting of other cultures and I thought the Mentir would take advantage of that. I think we should cut any attempts of the Graaft to sanction the Mentir, at least at the beginning of the plotline. Perhaps their partial banishment from The Complex (I'm glad someone finally named the Graaft city by the way) can actually happen during the plotline?

Other than that, great. Once we've discussed my queries, I'll add all this into the OP.
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duskcurse Wed May 02, 2012 8:13 am

Sorry Slayer, by the way, thoughts on my idea?
Duskcurse
Duskcurse
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Wed May 02, 2012 8:35 am

Sorry Dusk, I missed your idea while looking through the thread.

I really like the concept - very original.
Two problems:
1. What happens when a Graaft replaces a body part?
2: Is it in keeping with the themes? We didn't have the Graaft down as being particularly natural or in tune with nature.

If you're confident these aren't problems or you can address the issues, we can add this in. If not, perhaps this idea is best used on another race? Your Lacertae perhaps?
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duskcurse Wed May 02, 2012 8:37 am

Hmm perphas, or we could change it that it was a plant that the mentir gave to the Graaft, but I don't know if it would be usefull in the LAcertae, is that thread still here?

And about the nature issue, well we can always add more thigns Tongue
Duskcurse
Duskcurse
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by MorbiusMonster Wed May 02, 2012 10:10 pm

I was thinking about the armour they would wield. Because Graaft are someone associated with efficiency in terms of the organs they sample, their armour should be about efficiency. Here's what I've come up with.

Three-style armour works on a principle of accomodating more than one combat style, making it very versatile. Their stats are adjusted according to a major, median and minor principle. Here are the armour sets (I cannot think of other names for the moment, so I'll use some names I plucked out of thin air).

Ursine Armour (melee)- Majors in Melee, Mediates in Range, Minors in Magic.
Adustine Armour (magic)- Majors in Magic, Mediates in Melee, Minors in Range.
Veloxine Armour (range)- Majors in Range, Mediates in Mage, Minors in Melee.

The stats are set according to whether an armour majors, mediates or minors.
Major - This armour is made specifically for this combat type, offering the best bonuses and defences.
Median - Offers support in this stat, giving fairly average boosts
Minor - Offers modest boosts in defence, but not great bonuses

All armours can give boosted Constitution assistance in the areas they major in, so a player wearing Adustine can give greater healer than normal to a player using mage.

All armours require 70 Defence, 70 Strength, 70 Magic and 70 Range to wear, regardless of which stats they major in.
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Thu May 03, 2012 12:49 am

I always thought the Graaft wouldn't need armour. Pharamedes, for example, has natural armour on his torso - I always imagined any Graaft who needed armour would get it this way, the same as my opinions on weapons

That said, it's not impossible to have your armours as rewards anyway. The Graaft could teach you how to mix-and-match armour like they mix all their other things, and the player could unlock the ability to make these at the end of a quest.

And again, Morb, you've ignored by comments on your previous piece of work. Listening to my feedback would be nice...
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by MorbiusMonster Thu May 03, 2012 6:33 am

Yeah, do what you like with it. I'm not ignoring, I just forget what you say.

Scrap the bit about the savages and the Mentir exposing themselves.
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Thu May 03, 2012 8:38 am

Do you think we should have one "good" Mentir who serves as a protagonist rather than an antagonist? I'm not really keen on the idea of all Mentir being the same...
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duskcurse Thu May 03, 2012 8:56 am

That could be good
Duskcurse
Duskcurse
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by MorbiusMonster Thu May 03, 2012 3:52 pm

Probably a Mentir that isn't such an almight douche would be important in carrying the story weight. Of course, there are no laws preventing any bonds or partnerships with Mentir and Graaft, it's just that they don't because one party specifically dislikes the other.

Presumable the Mentir who befriends you and the Graaft is in the knowledge of bigger things than the Crul and wants nothing to do with it, so joins your side.
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by MorbiusMonster Thu May 03, 2012 3:59 pm

If you're not altogether sure about the armour, then I could just as easily use them with Arzonus (I was going to use them there anyway, but thought you'd might find it more useful here).
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Back to top Go down

Post by MorbiusMonster Thu May 03, 2012 7:10 pm

The Graaft - Group Project - Page 5 Sla_in10
MorbiusMonster
MorbiusMonster
Templar