The Suggestion Site
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Graaft - Group Project

5 posters

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

The Graaft - Group Project - Page 8 Empty The Graaft - Group Project

Post by Slayer Noir Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:01 am

First topic message reminder :

To do

To do:
Create a leader-type figure for the Mentir, to be a main villain - Handeath
Create a good Mentir to ally with the player
Create two minor characters: The Royal Leader and the Democratic Leader

Expand on how Graaft wage war: How much do they rely on their grafting ability for weaponry? Do they use other weapons too? Are there "standard issue" parts for soldiers? - Slayer Noir
Expand on succession for leaders: specifically, how would a leader get replaced? We know the democratic leader will have some sort of election, but what if someone wanted to replace Pharamedes or Kareeb? - Slayer Noir
Expand upon Amesgaizto and religious values - Duskcurse

The Graaft is a group project that me and Morbius have been working on. We're working towards creating a new race and a quest series featuring them. We've gotten to the point where we're happy with the bare bones, and now want your help fleshing it out.

The race is called the Graaft. This is what we know about them so far:

-The Graaft are a strange race that inhabit another plane. Once they reach maturity, they loose the ability to heal, and to compensate for this, they replace their own damaged body parts with others. These body parts can come from other races, and this gives the Graaft incredible diversity.
The Graaft have latent magical potential gifted to them by their God that can help them with their transplants. It allows them to use body parts of slightly less biological creatures. Things like demons, for example, which are magical rather than biological.

-Appearance:
Spoiler:

-History:
Spoiler:

-The Graaft's Enemies

The Mentir
Spoiler:

The Crul
Spoiler:

Strae
See "Lifemaker Strae" in the characters section

- Culture
Spoiler:

-The Graaft's Homeplane
Spoiler:

-Leadership
Spoiler:

-Graaft Warfare
Spoiler:

-Graaft Succession
Spoiler:

-Characters

Xana
Spoiler:

Aschkott
Spoiler:

Lifemaker Strae
Spoiler:

Kareeb The Priest
Spoiler:

Commander Pharamedes:
Spoiler:

-Muroidea
Spoiler:

-A "Good" Mentir
Spoiler:

-Deleriaus
Spoiler:

-Plotlines
Spoiler:

So yeah, that's the Graaft so far. Help us create something epic. Smile

Last edited by Slayer Noir on Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:20 am; edited 15 times in total
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Number of posts : 1248

Back to top Go down

The Graaft - Group Project - Page 8 Empty Re: The Graaft - Group Project

Post by MorbiusMonster Thu May 17, 2012 8:06 am

Okay, I had an idea a while back, suggesting it for Pallis. Perhaps I could re-engineer it for the Graaft.

"Just had a funny dream, but it's allowed me to come up with an interesting idea for a location.

An urban population, bustling and busy, but such that it has become worryingly polluted. On one half of the city, the water treatment centre and chemical firm has enormous trapezoidal structures with green liquid cascading down through transparent pipes, with black stonework forming the structures and causeways. The chemical firm was staffed by unknown numbers of people in special biosuits who operated in adjoining open plan labs. The entire complex was overseen by a presence called the announcer; she was someone you wouldn't want to displease, but she still appreciated you wishing her a good day.

The other side was a city, urbanised and busy, with large towers, but thanks to a pink/red
cloud belt, the ground was not visible. Because of the heat currents, strong winds and large open spaces in the sky, one of the best means of getting around was by attaching and inflatable gas bag onto your back and flying around on the air, it's a remarkably quick means of going anywhere, even flying from the cloud belt and around the chemical fountains. So we have the personal zepplin transport.

Any ideas what we can do with this?"

MorbiusMonster
Templar
Templar

Number of posts : 2641

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Fri May 18, 2012 12:29 am

Some elements of this could work. But I think that concept works better on its own. It's wasted on the Graaft.
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Fri May 18, 2012 12:31 am

I've claimed "Replacing Leaders" on the to do list by the way. I feel no guilt, since everyone's had plenty of time to take what they want...
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Wed May 23, 2012 1:04 am

Bumping this to see if I can re-ignite some interest...
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duskcurse Wed May 23, 2012 7:13 am

I need to work on my part, I have been busy
Duskcurse
Duskcurse
Partisan
Partisan

Number of posts : 1367

Back to top Go down

Post by Handeath Wed May 23, 2012 9:38 am

What do we need to do exactly?

EDIT: Scratch that, I'll make a villain, but I personally imagine Scrae being the ultimate enemy, but it depends on how the plot goes.
Handeath
Handeath
Advocate

Number of posts : 955

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Wed May 23, 2012 10:02 am

Mm. Strae and the other villain are kinda like double trouble, both trying to use one another to achieve their goals. None of us know who will come out on top so it's quite exciting.

Do you need a crash course on the Mentir or do you know everything you need to know?
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Sat May 26, 2012 7:55 am

Graaft Succession: How do leaders replace one another?

The currently unnamed democratic leader has the most obvious means of replacement. Every year, elections are held, and any Graaft can run for presidency. Frequently, 20 or more Graaft will put their names forward, but of course, only one can win.

Leaders of the military have to be the strongest Graaft warrior. To replace them, you must beat them in a fight - not necessarily to the death, mind. Formal challenges are usually made but not a necessity. When such a challenge is made, backing down is not an option.

The Graaft royalty have a graft called the Majestic Blue. It's grafted to the forehead, much like a crown, and appears to a magnificent crest of some animal, probably originally used in mating. When one graft royalty dies, the Majestic Blue is removed from them and grafted onto their heir, who then replaces them. In the event that a dynasty ends with no heirs, whoever claims the Majestic Blue becomes the new royalty.

And I'm waiting for Dusk to tell us more about religion before I decide how religious leaders are replaced.
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Handeath Sat May 26, 2012 9:56 am

Actually, can I get a crash course?
Handeath
Handeath
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Sun May 27, 2012 7:42 pm

Ok, the Mentir

The Mentir are a race of beings who care about nothing but money, and they're extremely amoral about doing so.

The Mentir sell body parts to the Graaft, however, they've been secretly manipulating them in order to stimulate demand. Though you don't learn it until the very last quest, it was them who set the Crul upon the Graaft's homeworld, the resulting war injuring many Graaft and so sending demand for parts through the roof. Many of their other schemes have yet to be decided, but they're helping Strae because they believe his actions will make their business more profitable too.

The Mentir stronghold has a creepy comparison to a hospital, white tiled walls and floors with bright lighting. They don't allow the Graaft inside.

Graaft distrust Mentir, but have become rather reliant on them. They have no solid evidence of wrongdoing on the Mentir's part, so are simply being walked over by them.

In terms of appearance, Mentir are humanoid, with icy blue skin and slightly ratty faces.

Also, "Mentir" is a Gaelic word. Means lie. You might wanna consider this when naming your character, you might not care, but at least you know.

And I think that's all we really know so far. The rest is up to you.
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duskcurse Mon May 28, 2012 3:59 am

Ok I promise that somwhere, today I am going to expand on religion
Duskcurse
Duskcurse
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Mon May 28, 2012 4:04 am

There's no need to promise, Dusk. We don't want to rush you
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Handeath Tue May 29, 2012 1:59 pm

Muroidea is the leader of the Mentir, and is actually a very nice man at first glance. He seems to be a very caring person, similar to a doctor acting towards a child, but his true colors show when dealing directly with the Graft or the parts which he provides them. Muroidea, even though he is talking in his cheery personality, is a cold, ruthless thinker, always putting the company's best interests above all else.

(Becuase I love fighting styles and don't know if we fight him) Muroidea's harsh personality is best seen in his fighting style and arsenal. Muroidea isn't a very athletic person, but he uses his knowledge in the field of medicine to his full advantage: his primary weapon is a simple rapier, which he uses at the beginning of a battle, but one he draws enough blood, he will switch to his main arsenal of surgical tools and 'healing magic,' aiming at open wounds, reducing healing, making them worse and infecting them, or purposefully healing them improperly, setting himself up to deal more damage.

So how's that?
Handeath
Handeath
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Tue May 29, 2012 8:01 pm

See, this is why I love doing this as a group project. Muroidea is totally different to how I imagined him, but I really really like what you've done with the character. Brilliant.

Oh, and 2 As in Graaft Tongue

How do you pronounce that name by the way?
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Handeath Tue May 29, 2012 9:37 pm

Ask your science teacher: Muroidea is a large superfamily of rodents, including hamsters, gerbils, and...rats! Meow

As to me, I think its Moo-roid-e-ah.
Handeath
Handeath
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by Handeath Wed May 30, 2012 9:10 am

Also, what do the Graaft look like? What about the parts they add to their bodies?

And going on about Muroidea: we should decide his motives, as the themes of a work can be seen through its characters more than the dialogue. Do we want him to be motivate by greed? (I think making him like a CEO could lead to some comedic scenes, especially for the disonance) Or death? (We need to talk about the afterlife.)
Handeath
Handeath
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Wed May 30, 2012 9:17 am

Mentir are thoroughly money driven. Muroidea's motive is greed. Strae can cover the theme of death.

I'm not sure we want to paint this guy as a comedian. When I read through your initial description he sounded incredibly creepy and sinister and I really liked that.

As for appearance, this is what we have on a Graaft's base form (ie, how they'd look if they never took any new parts). I attempted some drawings of a Graaft's base form a while back. I may try and find them and upload them here for you to look at.

"Graaft have brown skin and hair, with lengthy ears like a bat, where the nose partially resembles that of a goat. Mutts naturally grow facial hair and horns.
Their hands feature dextrous plating that reinforces the back of the hand that scales up the forearm to the elbow; with digitigrade feet also bearing scales across their claw-like feet and shins.
Both genders have a slight plumage at the rear, stitches have a longer one than mutts."

Obviously every Graaft then varies depending on what parts they take, and for the appearance of any particular Graaft, one must consult their character description.
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Handeath Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:36 am

Incredible creepy and sinister? I was going for an Affably Evil character, one who still is a nice guy, but still unbelievably apathetic, maybe even causal, in the way he treats his wares. This contrast could be played for laughs (see Neo's first encounter with Mr. Smith), but I can see why you want to keep his cold side present.

Do the parts Graaft take conform to the Graaft's appearance (Become more streamlined, change color, transition to the rest of their body, etc)?
Handeath
Handeath
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by Duskcurse Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:02 am

WHat was hte problem with Mutts and Stitches?
Duskcurse
Duskcurse
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:23 pm

No Handeath, a grafted piece of tissue will remain the same. If it's green and scaly to start with, it won't turn brown and furry like the rest of the Graaft it. At least, that's been the way I've imagined it. If you feel strongly that they should, I'm open to reason.

And Dusk, the problem I had with Mutts and Stitches is what the words mean. They have associations that I don't think we want players to make with the Graaft. A mutt is a derogatory, insulting term for a dog, and Graaft are neither lowly, nor are they dogs. As for stitches, while it could mean the thread that holds transplants together, could also mean laughing, or could also make players think of the pain you get while running. Graaft are neither comedians, nor unfit, and so again, unwanted associations are being drawn.

Thus, I think it's better to just call them Graafta and Graaftum or something. I'm not too fussed really, so long as the names don't create unwanted imagery.
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:21 am

OP has been updated with just about every agreed upon piece of content in this thread.

Hopefully then, it won't desperately need another update while I'm gone.
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:06 pm

I'm part way through uploading all Graaft related content onto the wiki. Changing it all to suit the wiki format will take some time, however, but once I'm done, it'll be a brilliant place to keep all Graaft related information.
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Handeath Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:27 am

So what still needs to be done before we write the series outline?
Handeath
Handeath
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:42 am

We could probably start now and add any additional lore as we go.
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Handeath Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:44 am

I had an idea for a final reward of this quest: Amesgaizto's Axe

A battleaxe that has relatively modest offensive stats in favor of surprising defensive ones and an impressive Prayer Bonus. However, the special attack is what defines this weapon, DNA Charge. Whenever you strike the killing blow with the axe on a member of a certain species, it will be checked off. (Several of the species will be non-specific - dragon, goblin, human - others will be obvious - icyene, corporeal beast). DNA Charge will heal you and buff your stats (including Constitution) based on how many species you have slain.
Handeath
Handeath
Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by Slayer Noir Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:49 am

Oops. I forgot to tell you this is going to be part of the Scape project now, rather than a RuneScape suggestion. Probably a good thing considering the Evolution of Combat would ruin your idea. I like it and it should fit into Scape.

Any thoughts on the quest by the way? I was rather awaiting your reply on the matter.
Slayer Noir
Slayer Noir
Partisan
Partisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next